• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 167
Posts: 167   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 45612 times and has 166 replies Next Thread
Artemis
OceanMaster

General Events Q&A Reply to this Post

This thread is for general questions (and hopefully answers) that don't need their own thread for anyone to answer and discuss.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Apr 19, 2007 11:06:17 AM]
[Oct 25, 2006 7:10:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spy234

Re: General Q&A Reply to this Post

When Greeters do Tournaments for Greenies, where are the clothes etc... meant to come from? The Greeters or the OM's, because right now I can't afford 8k towards a greenie tournament.

Sorry if this isn't relevent, but I didn't know where to post this.

Ta.
Aidthewound of Sage
FO of For The Poes.

[Oct 27, 2006 8:43:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    aidthewound [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

When Greeters do Tournaments for Greenies, where are the clothes etc... meant to come from? The Greeters or the OM's, because right now I can't afford 8k towards a greenie tournament.

Sorry if this isn't relevent, but I didn't know where to post this.

Ta.

I put up my own stuff for greeter run tournies. The OMs do not give stuff for those types of things, is my understanding. And by the way, if you can't afford 8k, just put 500 poe or whatever into it...they're usually happy for any poe they can get. :)
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Oct 27, 2006 8:54:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

To expand on that, you are simply teaching them how to enter and play in a tourney and how prizes are distributed through one. Its not about giving them something, its about teaching them something.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Oct 27, 2006 10:52:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

You may also find it helpful to have prizes for second-third place and some bonus door prizes. (If you're on a subscription ocean, whisking potions work well. If you're a doober, because whisking potions have the doub cost, you may just want to buy some cheap-but-still-decent clothes.)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Oct 27, 2006 11:21:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

I am unfamiliar with the new governor event blockades and have been unable to find definitive answers on the wiki, would a few people mind helping me out?

1. Is there a minimum and maximum time frame for which you can pre-set a blockade? That is, can you put up a blockade 1 minute before you want it to start. Or, alternatively, put one up a month in advanced? This would be useful if an event unexpectedly requires more than 1 round to finish.

2. What are all the board settings? I've seen rocky, windy, and normal.

3. When you restrict ships, do you prevent them from joining completely or just from entering the board (that is, if you disable sloops, they'll still be able to watch from the safe zone, but hit an invisible wall when trying to go into the board)

4. Do sunk ships in non-sinking setting end up in the port of the island or at the league if they entered from outside? Or even at the port of the island they came from if that is the case.

Thanks a bundle in advance.
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Oct 27, 2006 1:55:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Knowing all the different things you can set for an event blockade would be very handy and wonderful to all of us. Especially since there are far less governors than event organizers out there.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Oct 27, 2006 7:05:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Which OM's are fans of card games?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 29, 2006 12:54:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

If someone has a bit of free time and is in need of a project, it might be quite nice to have a "How To Post" post around to point to.

I'm thinking of the questions that come up every time there's any kind of image posting required, like:

What free programs are available for me to create this in? (for pictures, designs, videos, animation, music, speech...)
What about if I use a Mac?
Where can I host files?
How do I take screenshots?
How do I post a picture?
How do I post a thumbnail?
How do I upload an image to YPPedia?
How do I upload a video to YouTube?
What file format should I use?
How do I make a file smaller?
(How do I edit my post to change it or add another picture? *grins*)
etc

The exact questions will vary depending on the contest, of course, and this could require a lot of sifting through old events, but if done reasonably comprehensively, it could be a post pointed to for every forum contest, and save event hosts some effort!

What do you think?
[Oct 29, 2006 11:34:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

A good one to add to this is, how to post to a thread instead of making a new thread lol
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Oct 29, 2006 12:59:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

maybe also, how to post in the correct forum.
Little Tibby
[Oct 30, 2006 6:06:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

We've had a How to Upload a Picture tutorial for a month or so now. In pictures, no less. :)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Oct 30, 2006 6:12:46 PM]
[Oct 30, 2006 6:12:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

I've played around a bit with these on Ice, I was also using my super OM powers which might be different, so I'm not sure how accurate all of this is.

I am unfamiliar with the new governor event blockades and have been unable to find definitive answers on the wiki, would a few people mind helping me out?

1. Is there a minimum and maximum time frame for which you can pre-set a blockade? That is, can you put up a blockade 1 minute before you want it to start. Or, alternatively, put one up a month in advanced? This would be useful if an event unexpectedly requires more than 1 round to finish.

I could only do it 10 minutes in advance. Likewise I could not cancel it when there was 1 hour or less until it started. the maximum time was about a month, although I think it was a little less, probably more like 3 or 4 weeks. I'm unsure how long after a blockade ends that you can put up another - I was unable to put up more than one event blockade per island.

2. What are all the board settings? I've seen rocky, windy, and normal.

Board settings:
Normal, sparse, dense, rocky, turbulent, windy - I've not tried them all but they're pretty descriptive.

Other options are:
Cannons Ineffective
Ignore alliances

Sinking options:
Sinking
No Sinking
No sinking/No removal (ships with full damage stay on the board and can keep fighting, or just blocking the way...)

And you can also toggle exactly what ship types you want to allow to enter.

3. When you restrict ships, do you prevent them from joining completely or just from entering the board (that is, if you disable sloops, they'll still be able to watch from the safe zone, but hit an invisible wall when trying to go into the board)

They can't enter at all if thye're not permitted in the actual blockade. "Sloops are not allowed in that blockade" Which makes sense, lots of other ships would just clutter up the playing field.

4. Do sunk ships in non-sinking setting end up in the port of the island or at the league if they entered from outside? Or even at the port of the island they came from if that is the case.

Thanks a bundle in advance.

I suspect they act the same as in normal blockades, but I've not tested it out...
[Oct 30, 2006 7:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Thanks a lot Aunty Artie! If you can find out how soon another event blockade can start after one ends on the same island, that would be incredibly useful :)

Apollo wrote: 

[Oct 30, 2006 11:48:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Thanks a lot Aunty Artie! If you can find out how soon another event blockade can start after one ends on the same island, that would be incredibly useful :)

10 minutes after the last one ended...
[Nov 1, 2006 12:58:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Whoops, sorry :p I was thrown off when you said

I'm unsure how long after a blockade ends that you can put up another - I was unable to put up more than one event blockade per island.

But that's good to know ^_^

Apollo wrote: 

[Nov 1, 2006 3:48:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

If there is an event that requires alot of work for the partisipants, and is made to show a talent, or skill. Would it usually have a familiar as a prize? Or something big to give the partisipant, something equal to the amount of time they put into their work.

Do you think thats a strong argument? Something that will probably turn out with a yes?
Little Tibby
[Nov 2, 2006 1:38:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

If there is an event that requires alot of work for the partisipants, and is made to show a talent, or skill. Would it usually have a familiar as a prize? Or something big to give the partisipant, something equal to the amount of time they put into their work.

Do you think thats a strong argument? Something that will probably turn out with a yes?

In my experience, its not necessarily the time and effort put into the event as much as is there a way to determine the best of the event.
My YPP Survivor event was about a month long and required participants to show up twice a week to play challenges, which determined who was the best in those challenges, but because there was a popularity vote for eviction, it did not qualify for a familiar, but I was able to offer a tiger as top prize. So, the answer is, it helps but is not necessarily the case. And I also don't know of many cases where the OMs supplied all of the prizes for an event, each event organizer is still expected to come up with most of the prizes.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Nov 2, 2006 1:46:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

It's not a strong argument if it's being proposed by a player without a strong events record. Without that, I don't care how good your event is, or how much effort people will have to put into it. you're not getting a familiar for it. ;)
[Nov 2, 2006 2:03:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

In my experience, its not necessarily the time and effort put into the event as much as is there a way to determine the best of the event.
My YPP Survivor event was about a month long and required participants to show up twice a week to play challenges, which determined who was the best in those challenges, but because there was a popularity vote for eviction, it did not qualify for a familiar, but I was able to offer a tiger as top prize. So, the answer is, it helps but is not necessarily the case. And I also don't know of many cases where the OMs supplied all of the prizes for an event, each event organizer is still expected to come up with most of the prizes.

If lets say, my event will take someone probably a month, and requires skill, and talent, and much hard work, out of game, plus helps with a puzzle pirate feature (example-Portrait Backgrounds), and my event has about 80% support in prizes by the event host, and then asks the OM, with a detailed event, showing that alot of effort is required for partisipants. Also this is a artistic event*

What you think, theyll support a familiar or two (also they have had previous event experience).
Doesnt matter colour, but shows pirate talents in Art, and the art work the event asks for is at Art Majors level, then i believe no greenie, or untalented pirate can win a familiar, showing that it also gives a challenge to gain a familiar.

I need to figure this out, since my next event is around this.
Little Tibby
[Nov 2, 2006 2:07:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

It's not a question of what we think. It's a question of what the OMs think when they open the e-mail. However, I have it on good word from Apollo that "exclusionary" events are less likely to recieve familiars than events that are open to everyone. The exception to this rule is in situations like bakeoffs where you might only offer preregistration to those of a certain skill level or higher, as if you can't hit GM on a puzzle you're probably not going to win the bakeoff anyway.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Nov 2, 2006 2:14:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

It's not a question of what we think. It's a question of what the OMs think when they open the e-mail. However, I have it on good word from Apollo that "exclusionary" events are less likely to recieve familiars than events that are open to everyone. The exception to this rule is in situations like bakeoffs where you might only offer preregistration to those of a certain skill level or higher, as if you can't hit GM on a puzzle you're probably not going to win the bakeoff anyway.

Ok, this event is All Ocean event, would that now probably get me a familiar or two, including all the information before, its the type of event, that i want to know if its likely to recieve an Familiar?
Little Tibby
[Nov 2, 2006 2:30:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I don't know if it's likely to recieve a familiar or not. Nor does anyone else. You'd have to e-mail events@ and ask.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Nov 2, 2006 2:31:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

I don't know if it's likely to recieve a familiar or not. Nor does anyone else. You'd have to e-mail events@ and ask.

PTG, if i was to make a All Ocean event, but i dont have a subscription for Midnight, or Colbat, how would i support prizes, if winners are from those Oceans?
Little Tibby
[Nov 2, 2006 2:43:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I don't know how you'd support prizes for other oceans if you're not from those other oceans. You'd have to e-mail events@ and ask. Notice a trend? :)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Nov 2, 2006 2:47:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

I don't know how you'd support prizes for other oceans if you're not from those other oceans. You'd have to e-mail events@ and ask. Notice a trend? :)

:P
or i can just ask Unky Apollo :P
Little Tibby
[Nov 2, 2006 3:06:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Who won't answer you, as you've already been given perfectly good answers here but are choosing to ignore them.
[Nov 2, 2006 3:15:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Candiice

Question: I'm incredibly confused. If an event host is looking for judges, do they post in the Events Workshop or the Mariner's Muse? o.O It's unclear, now that we have two boards for that.

LilCandi~
LilCandi
Viridian Ocean
Cindderella says, "You seem tense. GO GET LAID!"
Ladyselwick says, "Oh dear! Lets have a cup of tea and everything will be fine!"
WGGB
[Nov 3, 2006 3:16:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I think posting in the workshop may be best in future (since we have this forum now), but there's certainly precedent for posting all over the place. Historically, though, global events has gotten those sorts of posts, not the Muse.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Nov 3, 2006 3:53:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

If we are looking help on filling out an event, do we post it in it's own thread or post it in a general thread? There's a plot event that I want to do, but should I post it in the plot discussion thread or create a new one?
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Nov 3, 2006 6:04:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 167   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates