• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2389 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
Pandalink

Viridian News - Ideas

Edit: The fact this is my 150th Post is completely unintentional. ^.^

Seeing this in the Hunter Parley Linky I thought it would be good to do something similar for Viridian. If not, at least, just for something interesting to discuss in Parley.

Would be quite interesting to see how it develops, and what people would think. Some ideas I've had are:

:: A Flag Section for Articles written by Flags
:: Similarly, a crew section.
:: Possibly "Pirate interest stories" xD which are articles written by single pirates.
:: Reports from Governors across the ocean, if they wish to submit one.

It might be a good idea to read Drake's Thread on the Hunter Parley for more detail, although I'd like to make it clear this is pretty much totally seperate, apart from the idea stealing wisdom sharing ^_^.

So... as the topic title pertains...
Thoughts, Ideas?
----------------------------------------
Pandalink,
Senior Officer of Rolling Thunder
Member of Sea Change

Former Captain of Rolling Thunder
Former King of Tempest
Viridian Ocean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Pandalink at Oct 24, 2006 2:56:13 PM]
[Oct 24, 2006 2:53:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Re: Viridian News - Ideas

This has been done before on Cobalt, which is one of the main reasons i didn't attempt it here. It was done so well.

But it's still a cool idea. Just not one I'm suited for.
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Oct 24, 2006 3:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheBeaver

Well, it can't hurt to try. I'd be willing to help out if needs be.
[Oct 24, 2006 3:16:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yohohobob

A Flag Section for Articles written by Flags

What you mean like them getting new royals? Well that wouldn't work as according to most people they don't care if someone gets a new royal or not so meh, no I'm kidding I'm sure it will be fine, at the least it will give people something to tart over.
Madyohoho SO of Di Cerberus-Retired
Lord of Arcana Imperii(Viridian)[quote]Remember, I'm the one that sits back and giggles at you mates while sipping masttails in my pajamas. Besides, Y!PP isn't a game; it's a way of life
[Oct 24, 2006 4:27:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Pirate interest stories would be so watered down... Marriages of random unknowns, breakup two days later. I'd only support that if you had Des, Goats, or Twiggy do it. They're serious and it would be a blowtorch, not a column. (Blowtorch.. Flaming... Laugh!)
[removed by SOPA]
[Oct 24, 2006 6:27:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Pirate interest stories would be so watered down... Marriages of random unknowns, breakup two days later. I'd only support that if you had Des, Goats, or Twiggy do it. They're serious and it would be a blowtorch, not a column. (Blowtorch.. Flaming... Laugh!)

I'd do it, provided I could give it up when I have schoolwork.

It'd probably be something like a "Why You Suck" column.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Oct 24, 2006 6:31:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Yeah, sure, I'm game if it'd be one of those "can he say that?" columns.
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Oct 24, 2006 6:47:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

I also don't play this ocean that much anymore, but I still know about what goes on. Basically I can insult anybody at this point.

Except Cabinnaw. Too hot.
[Oct 24, 2006 6:52:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

The Flag section would probably consist of very short blurbs, like marriage announcements, local arrests, birth announcements, and most obituaries are in the regular newspaper.

The Flag Section wrote: 
The Blonde, Well-Tanned flag appointed Rhodin to Royalty and made her governor of Tan Island.

The Flag "Pole" will be holding an event blockade Wednesday, 10th of Never at Green Island.
  • Sloops and Cutters only.
  • Two Rounds.
  • Non-Sinking/normal cannon and ram damage.
  • Shiny repainted frig for the flag with the most points.

• And so on. If a flag wants a bigger blurb than that, it goes in the Editorials, because you know it'll be an opinion piece.
    A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
    Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
    [Oct 24, 2006 7:20:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
    Pandalink

Yay IDEAS =D.
    Well the idea is to have every top flag submit an article (if they wish) every issue, and you read which articles might interest you. Hey wait, thats exactly the same as a newspaper ;).

Also, smaller flags could submit articles now and again which may get "printed".

I am aware of the potential bias that may be contained in these articles. So what? If this paper starts wars, then.. well.. meh ^_^.
    Pandalink,
    Member of Sea Change

Former King of Tempest
    Viridian Ocean
    [Oct 24, 2006 8:59:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    MiniMoses

<Sharing Wisdom Time> :P

If it helps Panda;

I have a forum setup for the Hunter Publication, used for our reporters etc.
    If you want, we can make this a more universal production office.

We can think of a generic name, and we can have differnet editions. YPP Gazette - Hunter/Viridian Edition.
    People using the one site where we can collate information and publish it.

The resources are there, and it wouldnt be hard for me to ammend the current newly setup forum to accomodate Viridian.

If you like, we can discuss this further. PM Me.
    Drake
    Captain of Clueless
    Prince & Politician - Castigo Final.
    squirt wrote: 
    I'll take your word on this one, that he really doesn't mean to pick fights.. He's just.. British

[Oct 25, 2006 12:38:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Pandalink

Much of the below list is from Drake's Hunter Thread. I intend to take on some main writers along with community inputs each issue.

So, to sign up for a place here, write me an article, no more than 500 words, for one of the positions below. If I see you are more suited to another position, you may be offered that. Note: I will be taking on more than one of each position, most likely.

PM me these, and if you are be signing up for a certain position in particular, then put this at the top of the PM (in the body). Please entitle the PMs with a subject "Viridian News - Article".

Political Reporter - Regardless of rank or position in the ocean, a good political reporter is one who can be intellectually astute, and operate in a non biased way. Even if it means giving the flag you are part of some grief.

-The Article is to be about your Flag, a Political report. Write about what your Flag has been doing recently, and why. Include in your article other features of your flag also, if you wish. Note: If you are not in a flag, write the article about another one.

News Reporter - Your role is Gossip, Slander, Scoop, and Success. You need to be able to add charisma to an article. Differnet blends of personality are fine, are you humourous, are you deadly serious? Either way, you need to be there at the right place at the right time to get the scoop - you are no superman, but you could be clark kent.

-The Article is to be about something to do with Viridian. You choose ^_^.

Personal Article - Your role is to show the single pirates side of things. Whatever individual pirates think about Viridian, will go in these articles. You must be able to interview people without too much bother to them, and get the vital information quite quickly to achieve this.

-The Article must be about the general view of the oceanfrom a certain group of people. Examples include: The Docktarters, the Pillagers, the shoppe/stall owners etc. This Article is going to include opinion and bias, clearly. Try to include quotes to support your arcticle.

Other Positions (non-reporter) :

Undercover Reporter - Your job is stealth, keeping your ears open and finding the juice in Juicylicous. I dont want to know where you get the information from, as long as its accurate - you provide additional leads to our reporters. Will you "stop the press" for a front pager?
    Is someone queen having an affair? Has some royal bragging about 50 brigs and they have 5? Have you got proof of a blockade attempt thats been hush hush so we can exploit it? If so, you will thrive in this role.

- As with the Hunter position, in 500 words or less, give 2 examples where you have found juicy gossip, on this ocean or another, that can be credited, and where those stories eventually came out. PM me this with the Header "Viridian News - Stealth". Those who get this position will be kept secret, obviously.

Artist - You must have the ability to create cartoons, of a serious or humourous nature. Your job will be to create an illustration of the leading article. And, a small 3-4 frame cartoon for the foot of the paper.

- Please Show me 3 examples of your artistic work, particularly cartoons.

This Footnote is on the Hunter Thread, and its relevance is no different here.

PLEASE NOTE - This is a community project, but needs to be taken seriously, Every staff member's reputation can be built or destroyed. Everyone we report on, will have their reputation built or destroyed. However; I will not tolerate an abuse in powers. Meaning; if we publish a story, and it in some way affects the flag you are in, and you go running to give this information before its made public, See your role and responsibilities removed.
    There will be deadlines to meet in time for production. And as a team we will work together for a finalised product we are happy with.
    Be proud of your creativity.
    I will not accept bad english and bad grammar. Spelling is not majorly important as I will run it through a spellchecker.

Word of Mouth; Posting Flag News, Posting News on your Flag Forums will help get this off the ground.
    Pandalink,
    Member of Sea Change

Former King of Tempest
    Viridian Ocean
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by Pandalink at Oct 25, 2006 12:16:26 PM]
    [Oct 25, 2006 12:15:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Lotsofgoats

If possible, I'd do an "Ask a Goat!" column. >.>

Not sure where that fits in with the above :D
    [Oct 25, 2006 4:42:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kenjennings

I wouldn't mind being the news reporter guy. I have a few ideas in mind. It'd be more of public interest thing about stuff that's "k00l" and stuff that's for "nubz0rz." But yeah, if you don't find someone better, I'm game.
    [removed by SOPA]
    [Oct 25, 2006 6:12:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    MiniMoses

PLEASE NOTE A CHANGE IN FORUM ADDRESS

The link is now : http://z11.invisionfree.com/YPPGazette
    Drake
    Captain of Clueless
    squirt wrote: 
    I'll take your word on this one, that he really doesn't mean to pick fights.. He's just.. British

[Oct 26, 2006 12:26:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Lotus_elise3

I think i should be the YPP weather man! lolzorz!

Like this guy.
    A Confirmed Basterd, Antix
    Of Guerrilla Warfare 2018 fame

[Oct 26, 2006 4:14:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Pandalink

Ha! I vote - best character in Family Guy ^_^.

Still awaiting applications :). All positions still available on the Viridian Edition.
    Pandalink,
    Member of Sea Change

Former King of Tempest
    Viridian Ocean
    [Oct 26, 2006 4:05:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    UnnamedPlaye

You have done a lot of posting for a short time lol I dont have that much.
    Ye gotta be kiddin!
    It's Lue of Viridian!
    and
    Oh, my gosh it is Oldlue of hunter ocean!
    I hear WAVES of RAge
    Must be Raey From Sage
    [Oct 28, 2006 10:57:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    KariMinger

You were saying?
    Zazazu : blockading near you
    Captain of "Cracker-Throwing Monkey"-Ellipse-Viridian
    You can't buy fame, you earn it. Unless it's Corona Reef we're talking about. -Saltake
    [Oct 30, 2006 2:47:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Lotsofgoats

You were saying?

I Computer drawn my avater :)

Back on topic, you're asking for a huge amount of work to even apply for these positions, which may be deterring people from trying. =\
    [Oct 30, 2006 3:22:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Pandalink

Aye, I realise. But then.. theres no gain with no pain eh?
    I might rethink this a little once I can concentrate on this and brainstorm ideas (probably on the weekend).
    Pandalink,
    Member of Sea Change

Former King of Tempest
    Viridian Ocean
    [Oct 30, 2006 5:13:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shaimus

I would actually recommend an open invitation to receive articles

- One : People will write up the biased stuff they want published
    (you can accept / reject / use it as a basis for humour)
    - Two : some people will write you genuine stuff and useful stuff
    - Three : Some people who may not be completely confident may surprise you with their ideas and writing
    - Four : more submission means more to chose from and less stress about expecting something from a select few
    - Five : you can still select a few to be regular contributors

um . . other good points . . but think of them as all letters to the editor . . *grins*
    Shaimus on All Oceans, but mainly Sage

RogueOM Squad - Wiki links - Makes it easier for me as well
    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Rogue_OM_Squad_VII_Neapolitan
    http://www.phpbbplanet.com/roms/index.php?mforum=roms
    [Oct 30, 2006 9:00:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Pandalink

This was in effect much closer to my original plan. I'll have a talk with my YPP Gazette partner, Drake.
    Pandalink,
    Member of Sea Change

Former King of Tempest
    Viridian Ocean
    [Oct 31, 2006 1:28:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    MiniMoses

If you visit the forum, there are sections to encourage readers to submit their own articles, where we may publish highly creditable ones, and there is a section for people to discuss publications, when they occur.

Hunter Edition is currently in production, with tight deadlines, the hunter reporters have picked their articles and are creating first drafts.

Reader interaction is vitally important for running a successful newspaper/gazette; however there still needs to be structure and official "staff" as to not offend everyone if one story is picked over the other.
    Drake
    Captain of Clueless
    squirt wrote: 

[Nov 3, 2006 7:07:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    [Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates