• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1549 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Stlnmyhrt

Legions Fundraising Tarting To Commence...........NOW

Due to the large amount of tarting that seems to go on for my events and/or fundraisers, I decided that I would post my next idea here first to see what was brought up. In the hopes that I may be able to straighten them out before the actual post is put up in events.

I want to run a raffle, but like everyone out there when I hear the word raffle and I think scam. (I so need a better word for this thing). So I've come up with what I think is a good way to cut down on that. Unfortunately, as a side effect tickets would need to cost more than the usual 300-500 I usually see to cover the cost.
Each ticket would be represented by a wrapped gift. Meaning every ticket would also win a prize. Some of them good, some decent, and others of course the junk that nobody wants and can't seem to get rid of.

Things to keep in mind before tarting commences:
Top prize will be a sloop (if I'm in the mood I might even paint it for you)
Every ticket will win something.

It has been suggested to me that 5k is not much to pay for a chance at a sloop, especially when there are several other prizes in the pot worth at least that. But its also been brought to my attention some of you think that 5k is an unearthly amount of poe. And that I may need to drop the ticket price to 3k. (Yes given the prizes this is most likely the lowest I'm willing to go.)

So the question of the day...........How much would you be willing to pay for a raffle ticket?

----------------------------------------
Beu
Captain of Artemithian Legions
Conquering Viridian one step at a time.
[Oct 24, 2006 10:54:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

Re: Legions Fundraising Tarting To Commence...........NOW

So the question of the day...........How much would you be willing to pay for a raffle ticket?

500 poe.
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[Oct 24, 2006 11:43:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

I have minimal experience when it comes to event planning in YPP, but I've organized a few in real life as part of the street team I'm a member of. So I'll fill you in on what i see is wrong with your events.

Every event I've seen from you has had at least one restriction. These restrictions were done in a way that didn't enable a "spin on a puzzle", but rather limited and/or excluded specific demographics to flourish.

Your key to success is participation. People will not participate if they aren't interested.

Secondly, although i can appreciate the fact that these are in fact fundraisers, the majority of people do not enter events to do anybody a favor but themselves. It's simple to get around road blocks such as these. For example, "(if I'm in the mood I might even paint it for you)" could be changed to "May be painted. Will update in future."

We wouldn't care, or even think about the fact that raffles are often labeled as scams. But you told us, so suddenly we care. We would shrug off the fact that Game Gardens isn't an option, but suddenly that decision was made because your "boss" navvers requested it, and suddenly we care.

I suppose to sum this up you need to figure out what you can do for us that would in exchange make us feel it to be worthwhile to help you as well. If this seems unfair to you (I'm not saying that it isn't), then maybe somebody else should run the fundraisers.
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Oct 24, 2006 1:41:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stlnmyhrt

Every event I've seen from you has had at least one restriction. These restrictions were done in a way that didn't enable a "spin on a puzzle", but rather limited and/or excluded specific demographics to flourish.

Your key to success is participation. People will not participate if they aren't interested.

For example, "(if I'm in the mood I might even paint it for you)" could be changed to "May be painted. Will update in future."

We wouldn't care, or even think about the fact that raffles are often labeled as scams. But you told us, so suddenly we care. We would shrug off the fact that Game Gardens isn't an option, but suddenly that decision was made because your "boss" navvers requested it, and suddenly we care.

I suppose to sum this up you need to figure out what you can do for us that would in exchange make us feel it to be worthwhile to help you as well. If this seems unfair to you (I'm not saying that it isn't), then maybe somebody else should run the fundraisers.

OK first if this was the actual event post it would either say, I'll even paint it for you, or nothing at all. I feel tarty, people just criticize not suggest things to make it better. Hence this is here to maybe sort it out and avoid all that later.

Secondly, Game Gardens not being an option was not decided by my navers it was decided by me, and I changed a lot of other things to try and get people interested on the bnav thing and nothing seemed to matter, everyone just found something new to complain about. That was just something I was not willing to give on. There are some aspects of this game I think you should be willing to put your money where your mouth is, and stock for a bnav competition is one of them. (And I even offered to cover that)

As for raffles being a scam, give me a break that people don't already think that. Every time you see one, there are people screaming scam, and eventually the people give up. Which from what I've seen is what you people try and accomplish anyway. When anyone not "established enough" in someones mind tries to start something new. Just tart enough and they won't try again.

In any event there are gonna be people that don't like the rules. And its very frustrating as an event planner to hear everyone complain cause there is something they don't like. I try to take it as it comes and when the majority of people that seem interested are asking for the same thing make those changes.
Beu
[Oct 24, 2006 3:31:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

In any event there are gonna be people that don't like the rules. And its very frustrating as an event planner to hear everyone complain cause there is something they don't like. I try to take it as it comes and when the majority of people that seem interested are asking for the same thing make those changes.

Not to sound like a tart or anything - but if you can't handle the constructive criticism about your fundraisers - perhaps you shouldn't be running them. Calling everyone "tarts" because they're pointing out serious flaws in your event is the wrong way to go about it seriously. All it does is frustrate you more and make you come across like someone we can't trust.

There's a reason why Officer Auctions and large ship pillages are used for 99% of fundraising. They WORK. People KNOW what to expect and KNOW that they aren't going to get screwed over. Until you've got a number of such events, and other events that don't cost people 5k up front with no guarantee of an actual event being run under your belt, and we can trust that you're not going to just screw everyone over - we WON'T trust you and we won't participate in your events.

Taking the BNav event to Game Gardens would have put everyone on the same footing to start out. Running it Elimination tourney style and having the first X rounds done on game gardens and then when you're down to 8 people left moving it to the ocean itself would have been better than expecting people to organise themselves onto a ship on the water against people whohave no ocean history of navving anywhere important.

There are very few events that I'd ever willingly pay for up front in order to participate in. All of them involve a coloured familiar, and ALL of them involve the tournament boards. You'll find there's a lot of people out there with the same kind of attitude.

Speaking as an event planner - it's hard enough to get people to pre-register for an event in and of itself. It's pretty damn close to impossible to expect anyone to want to pay for the priviledge of entering an event if there's no tangible - and fairly immediate - reward for doing so.

As for raffles, I'll enter a blockade raffle that's being rn on top of blockade pay (and have done so before) I won't enter a raffle for anything else though - not even if it was being run by an OceanMaster.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Oct 24, 2006 9:00:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lizperk23

Regarding the idea in the OP: I have used an almost identical version of this event for a RL fundraiser, when a raffle was against the law. It worked tremendously well, because everyone could see the prizes up front that were up for grabs, and everyone who participated walked away a winner. And all the prizes were just that: prizes. Sure, some were of better quality than others, and maybe you'd rather not have won the book or DVD when there were better things out there. But every potential prize had a positive connotation--there were no bombs or flops or "sucks to be you" prizes in the lot. Plus, everyone who participated was at the event in support of the cause, so they already believed that their money would be well spent. It was a win-win situation.

Having said that, I don't know if I'd participate in an event like this in-game. I have nothing against the OP or the flag that's sponsoring this event (though I'm vaguely aware of the event being referenced here, I didn't really follow it, nor was I interested in the event itself). But I'm unlikely to participate in an event like this anytime soon, unless the right conditions are there--that the prizes are all desirable-to some extent. That I can see all the prizes beforehand, trust that they will be distributed appropriately, with no gaming the system (We had a very clear & specific numbering system for our prizes, and there was no way to cheat with it all being a live, real-time event). But most importantly, that I have a real and valid reason to support whoever I'm giving my hard-earned money to, that there is some reason, either for me personally, for my mates, my crew, my flag, or the ocean at large, a reason clearly articulated, that excites me and causes me to want to be a part of it all.

Those are my thoughts. When it comes down to it, I also tend to be rather frugal (or cheap, if ye prefer), which certainly colors the way I spend my money.

Jollylady
"Yohoho the winds blow free-oh for the life of the rolling sea!"
Jollylady on Viridian
[Oct 24, 2006 9:22:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stlnmyhrt

Not to sound like a tart or anything - but if you can't handle the constructive criticism about your fundraisers

Constructive criticism????? I don't remember seeing any of that in the bnav crown post. What I saw was a lot of complaining, you can't run it like that. This way is so much better. ECT.

Constructive criticism I can handle, not running it the same way you would and getting beaned in the process I don't like.
Beu
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Stlnmyhrt at Oct 25, 2006 12:03:11 AM]
[Oct 24, 2006 11:59:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Not to sound like a tart or anything - but if you can't handle the constructive criticism about your fundraisers

Constructive criticism????? I don't remember seeing any of that in the bnav crown post. What I saw was a lot of complaining, you can't run it like that. This way is so much better. ECT.

Constructive criticism I can handle, not running it the same way you would and getting beaned in the process I don't like.

Did you actually read anything that was said in my post at ALL? Or did you just decide to attack withpout thought here as WELL as in your BNav event thread. Because I'm looking at both and... let's see, your response to a question that was very bland....

moler22190: So this is more fundraising then anything?

Oh No!!!! More fundraising are you serious????

THIS kind of thing is what gives the impression that you don't know what you're doing. You can't even politely answer without sarcasm or attacking HONEST QUESTIONS that are asked of you.

you want to know why it felt to you like everyone was jumping down your throat? Because you jumped on us every chance you got, every single time someone posted with a SUGGESTION of how to improve your event you attacked them. Every. Single. Time.

THAT is why I don't trust you and why I won't ever join an event sponsored by you or your flag and will be strongly advising my crew and flag to stay away as well.

you want me to pull examples of constructive criticism out of that thread for you? Sure.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B Exhibit C

And everyone who suggested GameGardens as a test of pure Nav skill.

You ignored and/or attacked every person who tried to help you. to make your event better, to you know... make people actually WANT to participate. So stop. Have a breathe, relax and stop thinking of the posts as "Tarting at you" and take a step back. Stop making it so damn personal. It wasn't EVER you that was being attacked, it was your event that people were trying to improve so that people would actually participate.

But I suppose that yet again you're going to ignore the constructive criticism that's been given to you and call us all tarts right? Just remember this much. We were polite in the Events forum because it's for events, and we were just trying to help you improve one. THIS was posted in Parley - different rules apply.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Oct 25, 2006 2:22:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stlnmyhrt

Maybe that's just my personality, and it never occurred to me that it came off tarty and childish to anyone else. I do come here to unwind so I tend to be more laid back here and leave my business woman hat somewhere else. Those that know me (my crew, my hearties) took it as me being me answering the question while having fun, but I see your point that it could come across to someone else as very unprofessional.

As for the constructive criticism yes I read your post. And I didn't mean in your latest one at all. That is was what I consider good constructive criticism. And something that hadn't been suggested before in regards to the bnav crown. However overall in that particular thread there is a lot of I did this and so you should do it this way. And maybe that got missed cause a lot of those people posted minimal posts but talked to me in game a lot. And yes I did tear the one apart because I was already worked up when I read it and didn't step back before I answered it. I also apologized for it and thanked them for their ideas. The last link.....Changes were made to the event after that post, because several people in game had suggested some of the same things.

I did listen to some of it, some of it I didn't and there were people that to took offense to it, because they felt they knew better.

On a side note....I posted here exactly for that reason, so we could all be as tarty as we liked, and hopefully it wouldn't distract from the actual event.
Beu
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stlnmyhrt at Oct 25, 2006 11:59:12 AM]
[Oct 25, 2006 9:21:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
the_rock99

Maybe that's just my personality, and it never occured to me that it came off as rude and tarting to anyone else. But I see your point that it wasn't very professional.

As for the construcive critisism you found three post out of how many? Yes there was some but over all it was run it this way, it will only work this way. And yes I did tear the one apart because I was already worked up when I read it instead of stepping back before I answered it. I also apologized for it and thanked them for their ideas. The last link.....Changes were made to the event after that post, because several people in game had said some of the same things.

I did listen to some of it, some of it I didn't and people to took offense to it.

On a side note....I posted here exactly for that reason, so we could all be as tarty as we liked, and hopefully it wouldn't distract from the actual event.

Question this 'raffle' takes place when??
Greatness.
Better than you.
[Oct 25, 2006 9:27:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stlnmyhrt

An official date has not been set as of yet. I strictly wanted to see what people thought of it before I went to the work and cost of wrapping everything.
Beu
[Oct 25, 2006 9:29:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
the_rock99

An official date has not been set as of yet. I strictly wanted to see what people thought of it before I went to the work and cost of wrapping everything.

I see send me a tell i'll buy one..
Greatness.
Better than you.
[Oct 25, 2006 9:34:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

(The total value of all the prizes, divided by the number of tickets available) minus one.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Oct 25, 2006 10:21:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JD6627

Regarding the idea in the OP: I have used an almost identical version of this event for a RL fundraiser, when a raffle was against the law. It worked tremendously well, because everyone could see the prizes up front that were up for grabs, and everyone who participated walked away a winner. And all the prizes were just that: prizes. Sure, some were of better quality than others, and maybe you'd rather not have won the book or DVD when there were better things out there. But every potential prize had a positive connotation--there were no bombs or flops or "sucks to be you" prizes in the lot. Plus, everyone who participated was at the event in support of the cause, so they already believed that their money would be well spent. It was a win-win situation. Jollylady

I can vouch for this idea, as I have run something similar to this, and have watched SX do something similar. I ran Antheas's jointly with an officer auction. There were about 15-20 boxes in which people could bid on. Everyone knew almost all of the prizes inside, and I got some very generous amounts for them. SX held one over the summer too. They had many more boxes, and larger prizes...which resulted in a higher profit per box (From what I observed). There's several ways you could take this idea, but generally, the more you invest, the more you'll profit.

If you'd like more details, I can search through my logs and give more specific numbers. PM me if you're curious.
Kovy.
...stunned.
[Oct 25, 2006 11:49:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates