• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1962 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
ScaryMuffin

[Idea] Red Rover Reply to this Post

Red Rover, Red Rover, we call Small Sunfish over!

A sloop/cutter blockade: one referee cutter and a slew of solo sloops.

The cutters positions itself roughly in the middle, between the islandside and oceanside safe zones. They are also the one that call ships over. No sloop may sail past the cutter unless they were called over.

The point of the game is to survive the longest.

Details:
This will be done as an event blockade on a player run island so that ships can either enter islandside or oceanside easily. Two teams will be made using some method (such as random assignment or perhaps a flag vs. flag event). One team will occupy the island side of the blockade board and the other team will occupy the ocean side. All participants have been randomly ordered and one sloop is called at a time from each side. The sloop then has to make it over to the opposite safe zone without being sunk. If they manage to get through, they can jump back onto the blockade board and continue to play. If not, they're out. Naturally the opposition will be trying to sink them and the single sloop is allowed to return fire as it moves through.

I may consider making it teams of 3 or 4 on a sloop instead to give the sloop an edge, but it'll make prizes harder to come up with and distribute. I am also thinking about whether I want to add a "team leader" figure instead of having the referee ship mark the middle. The two team leaders mark the furtherest that their team's ships can move without being called and the two team leaders are not allowed to pass each other. Team leaders may be used if it was a flag vs. flag type of event.

This idea is in the rough sketch, I'm thinking more of polishing it up and putting it up as an event template for a crew or flag to enjoy when they're bored one day, rather than actually running it. If I did run it, it'll probably be part of a meta-event.
----------------------------------------
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Oct 23, 2006 5:23:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Re: [Idea] Red Rover Reply to this Post

This event could easily go on longer than the entire blockade.
[Oct 23, 2006 5:42:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

If I'm evil about it, I believe that a governor event blockade can go for 7 rounds.

A quicker version may simply be: how many sloops can you safely move to the other side? Then perhaps that would move along a bit faster.

Apollo wrote: 

[Oct 23, 2006 7:52:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Mmm, I can see you calling multiple ships from each side over at a time, add to the mass chaos of it all and keep things interesting for everyone. I'd suggest that rather than a line you have an area of "no mans land" which neither side can cross into unless they're being called over. Or maybe they can cross into no mans land but not beyond unless they've been called or they are "dead"
[Oct 24, 2006 9:28:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Interesting, so perhaps divide the board into thirds and allow people to duke it out in no man's land while only the ship that was called can pass on through? Naturally we can have both sides call a ship at the same time.

Apollo wrote: 

[Oct 24, 2006 9:33:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
faranya

I like the idea about the running from end to end, all except the cutter part, but that's my opinion. If it were up to me, I'd have a large ship type that only gets 3 moves out there intercepting sloops. Much greater risk of damage, but easier to outmanouever it makes it even more of a strategy game and not just booking it to the other end right on through and take a few shots...Book it but avoid shots. But that's my mind, and I'm not an event planner (yet)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by faranya at Oct 24, 2006 5:11:22 PM]
[Oct 24, 2006 5:10:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates