• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2195 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
weefreeman

[Idea] Hunter: Virus Tag -- Infect yer fellow pirate! Reply to this Post

Infect yer fellow pirate I hear ye cry, never. But what if there was a renamed ship on offer? Now yer tone is changing.

Event Synopsis:
-You and a team of 3 other fellow pirates must sail the seas of Hunter either trying not to get "tagged", or ye can go after those cowardly dogs and infect every last one of them.

Further Details:
-Once you've found your fellow pirates you must register pre-event and whether you would like to run, or chase. (There be differing prizes for each, see below)
-When the event starts the teams will have a set of islands which they can sail inbetween. They must deport immediatly and then procede to sail in whichever direction they choose, as long as it be towards an open island.
-Out on the open water they then have a 30 second head-start after which the virally-infected ships will deport from all open islands and chase them down!
-Once the viral ships have caught up with you they will engage you in the fine art of PvP. If they happen to defeat you, then I'm afraid you've be infected and must put into port at the nearest island. From there you have two choices, you can either sit out and wait for news of the other competitors or you can go aboard an infected ship and pass on the virus. This means that as the event goes on it becomes harder and harder to avoid infection by those pesky viral strains.
-After a period of time has elapsed (assuming there are still people to be caught) new islands will be added to the list of open islands.
-Each round is aimed at lasting for 1 hour (although depending on participation this is flexible) with at least two rounds on different days. This gives the tired and weary crews a break from all those debilitating side-effects of having a nasty disease.
-If after the second round there are still some uninfected ships then there will be a tiebreaker PvP or if more than one team is un-infected the second round will continue until it is down to two

After the winner has been announced and confirmed, the prizes are awarded to different crews for accomplishing different things.

For instance the crew that is the last to be infected will win a sloop with a viral-realted rename and prize money for the crew,
and the infected crew that defeats the most people will win a sloop with an antibiotic-releated rename and of course prize money.
Many more prizes will be availabe for other clever, ingenious or plain crazy teams.

This is the main idea for the event and any feedback would be greatly appreciated from the more experienced event runners. None of the plans or prizes are finalized so all input is welcome.
----------------------------------------
Pwcca, Dawn of Night Viridian Ocean

Weefreeman Viridian Ocean

Noir
[Edit 2 times, last edit by weefreeman at Oct 20, 2006 7:27:47 AM]
[Oct 20, 2006 7:13:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Re: [Idea] Hunter: Virus Tag -- Infect yer fellow pirate! Reply to this Post

Mmm... I do like the idea an awful lot, but there are a few things that are coming to mind:
- What happens if, say, 20 teams sign up to be infecters, and only 2 sign up to be infectees? What might work better is if you assigned it on a 3:1 ratio of infectees:infectors (I.E: If 12 people register, 3 are infected and 9 aren't.)
- Wouldn't groups of 4 prizes be better? The thing I'd point to is Sloop Blackjack: the teams are rarely all from one crew. Quite often the teams are hearties assembled a week or 48 hours before the event. Giving them one sloop for all of 'em is kinda weak sauce. (Additionally, if you've got the experience for it, feel free to hit the OMs up for prize support. If you don't think you've got the experience yet, you may just plain not be ready for an event this big and complex yet. :-/)
- What if an uninfected person becomes infected, hops on an infected ship, and that infected ship wins the prize? Should they get something, too?
- I would suggest that instead of specifying islands, just pick an archipalego (on Hunter, Pleiades looks sweet) and force people to stay within it. If you pick an uninhabited archipalego, you may even be able to convince Artemis to disable brigands for the duration of the event within that arch (but it may take an awful lot of convincing), which would add an interesting dynamic and make PVP more important and interesting. (I.E: Infecteds can't just make circles around uninfected ships and wait for them to clear the SF, and there'd be MASS PANIC whenever a boat appeared on the Radar, which is always something I encourage.)
- Have you considered dividing the infecteds and infectees into seperate crews for organization?
- How about providing a bonus for, say, an uninfected ship reaching every island they're allowed to visit, to encourage them to stretch their legs and explore instead of find a "safe spot"?
- What if you never get the uninfected down to 2?
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Oct 20, 2006 9:15:06 AM]
[Oct 20, 2006 9:14:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dark_Bnavv

The way I understood this is that, 2 boats start out trying to infect other boats. So if you get infected you are out of the game correct? So the people in the first two virus infected boats would be volunteer's. Is this correct? I also agree that 1 sloop for an entire team would not be appropriate. Possibly put an entry fee of like 5k per team, and cascade exponentially to The third place team, then add some trinkets (supported by OM's) for specail recognition.

Other than that this event would be crazy fun and I would love to be apart of it as I really enjoy pvp.
Darkbnavv on Meridian
[Oct 20, 2006 11:53:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

If you start off with more infectees than infectors and allow infected ships to also go out and infect others after they've lost to an infector, then the event shouldn't last as long because the number of viral ships will grow as time goes on.

The only problem with this, is that almost everyone will want to be infectees so that they can have a chance at both prizes (last to be infected/most battles won). However, hopefully the head start gained by those that start off as infectors will negate this.

As for prizes, this event is very similar to my first event (fruity pvp) except it's not as gruelling :p When I did mine, I coughed up 4 sloops (every team had to be 4 for mine too) and the OMs provided the renames and ribbon trinkets. Of course, this was a part of E2, so I'm not sure what your chances are. If you've ran flag events before, it might help and if the event is polished up here and heartily endorsed by a few of us, you shouldn't have problem getting some ribbon trinkets.
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Oct 20, 2006 12:31:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I like this idea and with a bit of fine tuning it will be a load of fun.

Why not do this on a blockade board?

Make sure each team that signs up are the ones to be infected. Once they are infected, they then can infect others. No need to sit out. Any folks who are not infected and are not currently on the blockade board will be disqualified. No, there won't be any pvp but you can do it to a sink. Of course the event should be nonsinking but sloops still appear to sink on a non-sinking blockade board but they do not lose their stock or ships. Make it really interesting and make it solo-sloop with bots! The choices are endless!

Having endorsement from us is not inclusive of getting OM trinkets. Writing a good event and proposal is so with the help of our ideas, if you choose to implement them, you will most likely receive trinkets depending on how much you are willing to supply yourself as well as other requirements from the OMs.

If you are giving out sloops as prizes, make it solo. Its too hard to share a sloop. Either way, you will have some folks teaming up to make themselves last longer so perhaps pre-registration would help, then you can assign teams(infected-non-infected) before the event starts but the players won't know which team they are until the time of the event.

I hope some of these suggestions help.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Oct 20, 2006 3:44:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Hm...good suggestions Synful. Perhaps even add in the fact that infectors have to bump infectees in order to infect them. But of course, everyone can shoot each other to keep each other off their backs/slow down moving targets.
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Oct 20, 2006 4:07:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

-Once the viral ships have caught up with you they will engage you in the fine art of PvP. If they happen to defeat you, then I'm afraid you've be infected and must put into port at the nearest island.

It is extremely easy to avoid being grappled. Any competent naver can run efficiently. Even then, this game will be dominated by whoever can get the best SFers on their ship. I would suggest changing this to being shot or grappled by an infected ship. That way the emphasis is placed on puzzling and naving skill, not SF skill.
[Oct 21, 2006 2:21:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
weefreeman

So far some great suggestions for which I am very grateful.

Why not do this on a blockade board?

This would be good especially mixed with ScaryMuffins idea of having the infected ships bumping the uninfected ones. I feel this would add a level of strategy if coupled with a bonus prize for any uninfected ship that manages to sink an infected ship.

As for ideas about prizes I realised that one sloop per team is nowhere near enough and that some trinkets would fit the bill much better. There will (hopefully) be a set of trinkets for the clean crew that can sink the greatest number of infecteds, and a set for the crew that can last the longest without getting infected and a set for the infected crew that is the most infectious. Also an entry fee will be paid and added to the prize fund which will be distributed amongst the first 3 placed teams as Thedarkbnavv suggested.

I also like Synful's idea about not telling the crews what team they're on until the time of the event will add a great amount of suspense and anticipation building up the the announcement. This will also make it easier to have a fair (or unfair) ratio or 3:1 as PTG suggested.
Pwcca, Dawn of Night Viridian Ocean

Weefreeman Viridian Ocean

Noir
[Edit 1 times, last edit by weefreeman at Oct 21, 2006 6:27:46 AM]
[Oct 21, 2006 6:27:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates