• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1404 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
ScaryMuffin

[List] Event Templates Reply to this Post

I'll begin to write and collect event templates. If you have or know of any, please provide the link and I'll add it to this thread.

What are Event Templates?
Event Templates are a sort of "how-to" manual that guides a new or developing event runner step-by-step through a specific kind of event, for example, a sloop race. Event templates explain the standard rules, variations, and potential problems associated with the events. Event templates usually will also give an idea on how to organize the event, by either making pointed suggestions or (preferably) providing a check list for new event runners to follow. Event templates may also suggest prizes and other details while the rest of the thread is used for questions and discussions, with notable points being added to the first post.

The purpose of event templates is to give new event runners an idea on how an event should be done from pre-planning and brainstorming to the post-event debrief. Even if there isn't a template for the event that a new runner is planning, they can still see the basic train of thought on how an event should be organized and hopefully follow that. Event templates is also for those that want to run events but do not have an event in mind (such as those wishing to run a flag celebration meta-event).
----------------------------------------
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ScaryMuffin at Oct 19, 2006 11:29:13 AM]
[Oct 19, 2006 10:53:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheBeaver

Re: [List] Event Templates Reply to this Post

As in Teeg's post there are now EventShells on the wiki.
[Oct 19, 2006 4:03:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Noted, but as teeg replied to me in that thread, there is a subtle difference between the two. Eventshells are for events already done and are meant to be set in stone. Event templates are guides for general types of events that we see replicated a lot and a lot. Variations in rules and organization are included and on occassion, event templates may even have a complete "how-to" for a simple event that no one has ever ran before (I'm thinking about a few of mine)

To sum it up: eventshells is sort of like a report/filing system while event templates is a "do-it-yourself" kit that is constantly revised by peers.
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Oct 19, 2006 10:14:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheBeaver

Noted, but as teeg replied to me in that thread, there is a subtle difference between the two. Eventshells are for events already done and are meant to be set in stone. Event templates are guides for general types of events that we see replicated a lot and a lot. Variations in rules and organization are included and on occassion, event templates may even have a complete "how-to" for a simple event that no one has ever ran before (I'm thinking about a few of mine)

To sum it up: eventshells is sort of like a report/filing system while event templates is a "do-it-yourself" kit that is constantly revised by peers.

Yup, just cross-reference. :)
[Oct 23, 2006 1:01:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates