• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9893 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Deborah

Piratey Pumpkin Carving Contest--Winners Announced

It's that time of the year again: Time to dust off your finest black and orange outfits, time to deck the halls with cobwebs and skeletons, and time to put your blades to the task of carving a jack-o-lantern. Create a pirate-themed pumpkin and you could win one of several fantastic prizes. (intro shamelessly stolen from last year's contest)

Who: individual pirates on the Midnight Ocean
What: carve a real pumpkin with a piratey or y!pp theme and take photos. submit via email for a chance to win nifty treats
When: October 15 - 31, 2006
DO NOT submit entries before 15 October. Contest closes at Midnight Pacific time on 31 October.
Where: via email
Prize list:
sloop: Toasted Pumpkinseed, stocked and painted -- Jennyrackem
sloop: Thick Clownfish (stocked) -- Chrissah
orange/black brass knuckle bludgeon -- Demundy
black/orange poniard--Piroxy
black rags (female)--Julianna
5,000 poe
red handkerchief with grey stripe trinket (bloody hankie with cobwebs)--Marajade
maroon knobby coral trinket (bloodstained)--Kikishiney
kitten pet (charcoal/tabby)--Seka
orange colored wall lamp

The Rules:

1--Obtain a pumpkin
2--Find or create a piratey design
3--Carve design onto pumpkin
4--Take at least 2 "creation" pictures while you are carving your pumpkin, to prove it's your own work. Include a card with your pirate name in the photo (no photoshopping).
5--Take one lit and one unlit photo of your pumpkin, again including yer pirate's name on a card to show it's yer own handiwork.
6--submit a minimum of 4 photos per entry as either gif or jpeg files (all in one email if possible) and send via email to SNEvents at gmail dot com. Include "pumpkin carving -- <piratename> -- <entry #>" in the subject line.
7--1st place winner picks first from the prize list. 2nd place winner picks next from the remaining prizes, and so on.

Judging Criteria:
Judging will be based upon the creativity and cleverness of design, the quality and detail of carving, and the overall effect of the lit pumpkin.

Extra Stuff:
You can enter more than once, but only one entry per pirate will be awarded a prize.

If you enter multiple times, try and keep all the photos for a single entry to a single email submission.

The pattern you choose can be as strongly or as loosely associated with puzzle pirates as you wish. A carving of the three rings logo would be just as acceptable as a carving of two unicorns humping. Feel free to use or modify commercial patterns.

No carving those artificial pumpkins. Goopy hands are a contest requirement.

special thanks to Ishtar for hosting this last year. I had such a blast participating that I couldn't let this year pass by without making sure we had another! er. and. for writing the original contest proposal so I only had to do a lot of cut'n'paste, heh.

----------------------------------------
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Edit 9 times, last edit by Deborah at Nov 16, 2006 8:47:33 AM]
[Oct 14, 2006 2:28:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

Re: Piratey Pumpkin Carving Contest

a carving of two unicorns humping

<3
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rmarsbar at Oct 14, 2006 5:39:10 AM]
[Oct 14, 2006 5:38:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Some links for tips on carving pumpkins and taking photos of lit pumpkins:

carving: try here or or here

photographing: pic tips

pattern ideas: free patterns
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
[Oct 16, 2006 12:39:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ms_national

My 1st pirate pumpkin

~Adesh
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ms_national at Oct 19, 2006 1:21:08 PM]
[Oct 17, 2006 9:14:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ms_national

here is my 2nd pum,pkin. A pirate ship

~Adesh
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ms_national at Oct 19, 2006 1:21:23 PM]
[Oct 18, 2006 10:53:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lannisters

ok I'm from Cobalt and this looked interesting. So far Adesh has really impressed me. If I were to do one it'd be with 2 triangle eyes and a zig-zaggy mouth..

Lannister, Cobalt/Midnight
Lannister, of House Lannister, Cobalt
[Oct 20, 2006 12:22:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mainorj

just wondering how many entries there were at this point in the contest
[Oct 25, 2006 7:43:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

I haven't added them all up yet, but we have a decent amount.

Mates who have yet to enter: Ye still have almost 3 full days to enter~! Happy carving!

--m3
[Oct 28, 2006 9:48:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crackerbread

how can i enter, i dunno how to add images
but i ave got an entry ready
Crackerbread is a Child Genius, like him, you probably all know that 2+2=5 and that the 3 times table goes, 3, 11ty, 47,92, 1. YAY!!
[Oct 30, 2006 10:36:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    joesnow1uk@yahoo.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

Aren't we supposed to e-mail our entries?
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
Official Honorary Member of Aye Carumbas.
[Oct 30, 2006 11:19:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Pirate Skelly!

Note the fearsome flame emanating from his patched eye! Too scary! You may want to shield the eyes of small children.

R3><3L33T4
Jeridus says, "See, I dunno about that, I would think Rexi being evil would be like only relative evil. Like some sort of diabolical kitten"
[Oct 31, 2006 10:56:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crackerbread

Crackerbread is a Child Genius, like him, you probably all know that 2+2=5 and that the 3 times table goes, 3, 11ty, 47,92, 1. YAY!!
[Oct 31, 2006 11:00:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    joesnow1uk@yahoo.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

Ok um.. I e-mailed my entry last night.. we are supposed to e-mail it right?! I e-mailed it before the DEADLINE... IF we aren't.. let me know so I can post it.. .......
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
[Oct 31, 2006 2:12:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

/e sighs. I promised M3 I would carve a pumpkin, and I did. It's a replica of a powder bag. Unfortunately I booched copying my pictures, and the originals are in a camera are off trick or treating with my nephews, so all I have is the "unlit" picture. Oh, well. I might post the finished pics here when I get them back.

Good luck to everyone who is actually able to enter! :-)

-- Fey
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Oct 31, 2006 4:26:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Crazy_Seka

The Only Familiar i will call my own :)

[Oct 31, 2006 5:32:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    iamherenowthanks [Link]  Go to top 
PrnLeia222

I made a pattern myself and carved it tonight, just in time for the contest!

Hope you like it, it did take a bit of work!

~Chrissah
[Oct 31, 2006 10:06:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ms_national

Way to cool - LOVE it
[Nov 1, 2006 12:03:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Everyone who emailed in their pics will be judged. Yarr!

Thanks to everyone who participated! I'm sending off the photos to the host, who will put 'em up for the judges to see. Then, when the judges are done, I'll post the addy for everyone else to take a gander.

--m3, SN Events
[Nov 1, 2006 12:11:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mordrid

so..... much..... talent.....
Mordrid
Midnight Ocean
King of the Killer Watermelons
[Nov 1, 2006 6:30:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ncthomas

Can't wait to see them all.......ah.....competition, so good for the pirate's soul !!!
[Nov 1, 2006 5:44:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PrnLeia222

I know, I'm excited!
[Nov 1, 2006 6:22:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

When do we find out who won?
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
[Nov 3, 2006 7:46:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Of my panel of judges, only 2 have sent in their responses so far. They all know you are waiting with antici.........pation. If I haven't heard from the other judges by Sunday, after sending friendly reminder /tells and emails and PMs, then I will request that the super-sekrit backup judges (yes, I do have 'em) step in to give me a hand.

We should have winners announced no later than Tuesday night--a week from the contest's close--which I think is pretty good. :)

Thanks for your patience, they are absolutely marvelous entries so judging is no easy task!

--m3
[Nov 4, 2006 4:18:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
heavenseyes

bumpity bump bump, bumpity bump bump, look at frosty go!
Flameangel,
Officer of KMM
[Nov 4, 2006 10:27:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Re: Piratey Pumpkin Carving Contest--Winners Announced

1st place -- Jennyrackem
2nd place -- Chrissah
3rd place -- Piroxy
4th place -- Seka
5th place -- Marajade
6th place -- Julianna
7th place -- Demundy
8th place -- Kikishiney
9th place -- Beardyblair
10th place -- Rexelita

Judging was a terribly hard task--the talent and creativity displayed by all of the entrants was simply amazing.

To see lit and unlit photos of each entry (names included when possible to allow all of you to see who did which entry), go to this link.

I will be contacting all the winners by email, PM, and/or ingame for prize distribution. And, a little bird (well, technically it was Apollo) told me there could be some ribbon trinkets in the works for the top carvers.

Congrats to ALL the entrants on a job well done. Thank you to all the judges who worked so hard at such a difficult task.

--m3, Seraph's Nightmare Events
[Nov 7, 2006 12:31:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PrnLeia222

I'm so excited, but those pumpkins are amazing! It may have been a bit of a wait, but well worth it!
[Nov 7, 2006 12:49:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
King_Nick

To see lit and unlit photos of each entry (names included when possible to allow all of you to see who did which entry), go to this link.

Can you fix this link please? It doesn't work for me!

plz consider stopping your ugly posts and uneeded suggesetions.

[Nov 7, 2006 1:27:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

The server appears to be down currently. The link should work, when the server's all happy again. I'm not sure if it's a regularly scheduled maintenance thing or not. I'll post when it's 'fixed'.

edit: looks like it's working now.

--m3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Deborah at Nov 7, 2006 5:39:07 AM]
[Nov 7, 2006 1:55:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PrnLeia222

And Demundy, you have the coolest writing ever! Your name sign rocks.
[Nov 7, 2006 2:24:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Congrats to all the winners and what an amazing job everyone that entered did. I just wish i was that good at it.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Nov 7, 2006 12:24:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates