• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4740 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
QueenofTarts

A plea for Spades fans on every ocean Reply to this Post

I, myself, consider Spades the noblest carousing game of all. Hearts has collective responsibility and idiots who win by letting you cover their rear, Poker has twits who all-in before the flop, Swordfighting is just downright vulgar, Rumble breaks my delicate nails, and Treasure Drop is all fun and games until someone hits a hole. Spades, good, old spades, rises above all this petty nonsense. And you know what? It's time somebody got a familiar for it.

I'm trying to make this happen. But I need your help. I've got OM approval to do just that... organize a familiar spades event. But wait! There's more! Bia is looking into setting it up so that Spades will always be free on Ice for the duration of the (real, familiar-awarding) event... and you know what that means. Doublooners, subscribers, anyone can compete without needing parlor badges or special subscriptions or any of that barrier nonsense.

However, before she'll let me do this, I need to pull off a test event, with lesser prizes and a lesser number of players. I only need 16. If you like spades, if you know someone who does, or if you're looking for an excuse to learn the puzzle, please indulge me. You won't regret it. :)

For more information on the test event, please see the topic in Midnight Events. The prizes aren't jaw-droppingly huge, but by participating, you're not just competing for a free sloop or avatar or trinket, you're supporting events, and you're supporting an event for a puzzle that's been maligned, ignored, and neglected in past. Please give generously and think of the children.

Her Most Royal Majesty,
who will blame Lizthegrey if nobody signs up. You know. Just 'cuz.
----------------------------------------
Her Maj

Queenoftarts on Midnight, Captain of Notorious Flamingo.
Qoftarts on Ice, Trivia Maven of the Poker Parties.

Avatar lovingly crafted by the Tonyanator!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by QueenofTarts at Oct 3, 2006 8:54:23 PM]
[Oct 3, 2006 8:53:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Candiice

Re: A plea for Spades fans on every ocean Reply to this Post

Here here!

I agree with everything you said. ^_^ *huggles a fellow Spades lover*

My big sis and I, in our youth, always played Spades. <3 Got in trouble for it too. *giggles*

I have to look into coming though...

LilCandi <3333
LilCandi
Viridian Ocean
Cindderella says, "You seem tense. GO GET LAID!"
Ladyselwick says, "Oh dear! Lets have a cup of tea and everything will be fine!"
WGGB
[Oct 4, 2006 5:33:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elvensailor

I love spades!!
Is it only on Midnight?
/me frowns
Elve,

Something of the crew something,
I pwn in Hunter.
The quote of truth: "I fear in Hunter Parley, instead of kindness and help, all you find is venom and hatred."
Thanks Crabcake for the avatar.
[Oct 4, 2006 10:15:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
QueenofTarts

I love spades!!
Is it only on Midnight?
/me frowns
The test event (the one I'm currently promoting) is, yes, only on Midnight, I'm afraid. (However, you can preregister a character on another ocean so long as they have the requisite standings.)

Bia is trying to set it up so the actual event takes place on Ice, though, which would mean anyone could participate if they subscribe or have purchased doubloons recently.
Her Maj

[Edit 1 times, last edit by QueenofTarts at Oct 4, 2006 11:30:16 AM]
[Oct 4, 2006 11:29:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Elvensailor

I have, but do I need to have a parlor or will it be on a free day?
Elve,

Something of the crew something,
I pwn in Hunter.
The quote of truth: "I fear in Hunter Parley, instead of kindness and help, all you find is venom and hatred."
Thanks Crabcake for the avatar.
[Oct 4, 2006 11:37:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
QueenofTarts

My most regal self wrote: 
Bia is looking into setting it up so that Spades will always be free on Ice for the duration of the (real, familiar-awarding) event

Her Maj

[Oct 4, 2006 11:52:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Noheart

I, myself, consider Spades the noblest carousing game of all. Hearts has collective responsibility and idiots who win by letting you cover their rear, Poker has twits who all-in before the flop, Swordfighting is just downright vulgar, Rumble breaks my delicate nails, and Treasure Drop is all fun and games until someone hits a hole. Spades, good, old spades, rises above all this petty nonsense. And you know what? It's time somebody got a familiar for it.

I disagree vehemently with everything except the last sentence.

If somebody win's hearts because you covered their rear, then you are the idiot. Cover your own rear and nobody elses, and remember that they aren't obligated to do the same. If they aren't covering their own, then find a way to exploit it.

Poker is a game of infinite different strategies. Calling someone a twit just because they've found a strategy that works for them is childish. If you don't like the way someone plays, find a way to knock them out. Don't complain about it, it's poor sportsmanship.

I don't know what you are trying to say about swords and rumbling.

Treasure Drop: Learn to use the holes. It's a fun game with or without holes. If you are only smart enough to understand one of the many variations, then it's you who are being petty, not the people who do understand it.

Spades is no better or worse a game than any of the others. It's just another game. It's the easiest one to cheat in, and it's also the only one where you get to work with a partner. (Besides brawling).

What's my point? I like Spades, and you are trying to find people who do. However, after the first paragraph you had insulted me for enjoying each and every one of the other things I do on Puzzle Pirates. I think a Spades tournament is a good idea, but you should stick to the positives of spades, and not the negatives of the other games. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was turned off by your comments about the other games.

Good luck with your tournament. Let me know if you are interested in learning how to play TD holes or beat a person who is going all in every poker hand.

~Noheart

P.S. No complaints about drinking?
[Oct 4, 2006 6:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
QueenofTarts

Oh dear! I'm sorry you've taken a sarcastic, light-hearted roleplaying post in an events thread to be an open and complete condemnation of every puzzle in the game.

No worries, darling. I personally am very dedicated to the plight and rights of those tragically born without a sense of humor, or as I call them, "De-humorised". Furthermore, I will undertake to never post anything flambuoyant, in-character, or in any way anything but absolutely dead serious, ever, as evidently this is causing people gross offence, and I wouldn't want to be accused of griefing, now would I? (No, no that wouldn't do at all.)

Begging your forgiveness for her gross transgression against good taste and all that is good and holy in the world,
Her Maj.

PS: Keep the tarting in parley where it belongs and I'll stop making you look foolish. Deal?
Her Maj

[Oct 4, 2006 7:50:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Springheel

blah blah blah blah

~Noheart

Take things seriously much?
blah blah blah
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Springheel at Oct 4, 2006 8:10:59 PM]
[Oct 4, 2006 8:10:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pepsi_man200

Glad to hear you take 'Spades' seriously. Also, happy to know you're helping out. Best of luck, mate. I hope this goes well for ye.
[Oct 5, 2006 3:01:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
faranya

I agree with most of what ye origionally said...except the swordfighting part. I wouldn't consider any opponentof mine to be vulgar...they too busy trying to find their fingers...but enough joking around. I love the idea, except for the Midnight part. If I could find a way to sail out of viridian onto your server, I'd be right there. As it is, I guess I'm stuck with the dignified vulgarity of the sword. En guarde!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by faranya at Oct 6, 2006 5:06:37 PM]
[Oct 6, 2006 5:05:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
metalnicka

Why not give 2 familiarrrs, since Spades is a game played in pairs? ;)
Panteraa is drinking and might be too busy to respond.
Formerly of Sage Ocean/Free Harmonica Lessons/Tea and Strumpets.
Lovely avatar courtesy of the lovely Tilinka.
[Oct 8, 2006 11:09:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
QueenofTarts

Why not give 2 familiarrrs, since Spades is a game played in pairs? ;)
Why not read the instrrructions and see that that's not how this tourrrnament is played? ;)
Her Maj

[Edit 1 times, last edit by QueenofTarts at Oct 8, 2006 11:35:18 AM]
[Oct 8, 2006 11:35:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
metalnicka

Aha, never mind. Still looks like fun :)
Panteraa is drinking and might be too busy to respond.
Formerly of Sage Ocean/Free Harmonica Lessons/Tea and Strumpets.
Lovely avatar courtesy of the lovely Tilinka.
[Oct 8, 2006 2:22:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Ice is *not* free. I just retested it.

The "Infinite free trial" which exists on normal sub oceans does not exist on Ice.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 11, 2006 6:45:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
QueenofTarts

I never said Ice did grant absolutely free access to doublooners. (Well, I guess I kinda did, but I should hope that the roleplaying swagger and exaggeration in the OP is at least somewhat apparant.) However, if I hold it on a purely subscription ocean, doublooners need to subscribe to participate, and if I hold it on a doubloon ocean, everyone who doesn't primiarly play on that ocean needs to buy badges to participate. Ice provides something of a compromise: everyone who subscribes, and everyone who has purchased doubloons, is allowed to enter. It's more than I could achieve on either type of ocean alone, and that's all I'm trying to do.
Her Maj

[Oct 11, 2006 6:57:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates