• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 70442 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
REJBELLS

Re: How to reduce/eliminate lag and choppy gameplay Reply to this Post

I am wondering if some of us here have reached a wall in technological terms..

There is a point where putors are just not supported by now defunct or no new drivers after this etc. , absorbed companies.. etc.

With all the new graphics and sound technology and ISP 'new' packages and tech.. .. well perhaps some of us on old putors on dial up just will not be able to cope.

Smiles slyly.. until ye putor geeks come out with a game legal workaround for us...winks..

Sigh can't play at all. with this lagging coughing and stuttering!
Going a bit crazy! May not need costume for halloween.

Oh and no rewards for subbing either.
----------------------------------------
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Oct 15, 2008 4:37:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zagu

Astmahamster says: Hey, I started having problems after the update, or whatever it was (Oct 14 or 15, 2008). It starts to lags like hell if I click on a tab, try to type, or do basically anything. It takes about 5 minutes for me to get to a navy ship after i click on a navy mission. I've been playing with this same computer (Windows 2k) over 3 years, and never had any problems with lag.

While the game was being updated, I did some random stuff, including setting up my desktop. I think that's the problem, when I think it over. I took off the wallpaper I put there, but lag wouldn't stop. I think I have the Active Desktop, but I don't know how to disable it.

I'm with same problem, i need help or i can't play game again... :(
Problem Solved! :)
Sopermans, Viridian Ocean!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Zagu at Oct 25, 2008 9:01:54 AM]
[Oct 15, 2008 7:10:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rissarissa13

Well, I'm having a huge problem with lag issues, choppy gameplay and d'cing a lot. Its been a unbearable week or so with this temp computer I am using and I am so sick of dropping ranks, unable to pillage, run a ci/smh or go on a ci/smh, or even enter a tournament. It also takes me a good 15 minutes to go to my shipstall passing through the docks of lima. I have basically disabled sound, I use /clear often, doubled my ram which is now at 480 or something close to that. Since this is a fresh Window's 98 laptop, there is nothing really installed. Basically, its PP, Java and the wireless. The only thing that has been different is I have been using MSN off my phone to keep the computer clear, lol. If anyone has any ideas to clear up any of my lag in any way please either post or PM me. I'm coming to the point where I don't want to play until I get my new computer which might take up to months.

On game I have everything unchecked in the general tab and the screen to the lowest setting.

Example: Right now, I have three main programs open ; Crimson, the forums and task manager and I'm using a good 3k/6k mem usage. I think the java size is way to big and somehow need to get it to go down a bit.

Edit: I also get disconnected or freeze a lot, which gets annoying after the 5th time in like 10 mins.
Riss -Sweet Surrender -Princess of Imperial Coalition - Meridian

But, even when our hopes give way to reality and we finally have to surrender to the truth, it just means we've lost today battle. Not tomorrows war. - Grey's Anatomy

[Edit 1 times, last edit by rissarissa13 at Jul 3, 2009 11:37:38 PM]
[Jul 3, 2009 11:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Doctortux

Isn't it true that pets can also cause lag?
[Jul 8, 2009 3:49:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Yes, each pet in a scene acts as a constantly active pirate, sending as much network traffic as someone restlessly walking around. It's not a lot by itself; probably just one small packet per action, but on a War Frigate with 75 players, that's 75 pets wandering around too, that's more than double the lag. (Because players on a station don't send the same network traffic as those walking around, pets are worse in this regard.)
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jul 9, 2009 5:49:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

Seerauber wrote: 
Welcome to the worlds of Java for Mac. Most of us Mac users experience a lot more lag and sluggish gameplay here and there really is very little that can be done about it. I upgraded my ram from 512 to 1024MB last year and only found marginal improvement. According to severel programmers I have talked to the problem is with the way Java works within in the Mac OS. So until something is done to improve Java performance on the Mac I am afraid that we will be stuck with subpar performance. At least that is my understanding of things. Perhaps things will be better under Leopard but I am not holdling my breath. I'd be very interested in hearing how people are finding YPP runs under Leopard to see if there is any noticable improvement.

This was two years ago, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about improving Y!PP performance on a Mac. My desktop is a PC, and my laptop is a MacBook. The PC is a better computer, but not by much, and the difference is astounding; I simply cannot distill on my laptop. And while I'm at home visiting my family, I can run Y!PP on the family computer which is comparable in performance to a rock, and even that runs Y!PP better than the 8 month old MacBook.

Any additional thoughts on optimizing Y!PP for my Mac besides the Activity Monitor stuff? Making things run a little smoother?
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Dec 22, 2009 10:00:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

I'd love to know how to make YPP run better on a mac.

I can't move shipwright pieces as fast. Distilling, as you said, is a pain. BS takes forever to start up (I cannot believe it would have been released if it was that slow on a PC). Intermittent pauses during gunning are the norm. Any ship bigger than a WB makes it even worse, and a WB is barely tolerable. Blockades are almost DoA (ice and the sloop blockades are OK.)

Someone has claimed that the version of Java that came on the 10.5 DvD is better than the recent updates. There's a brand-new update that just came out in System Updates that I haven't had a chance to install and test yet.

Apparently the x86's have much better performance (and 1.6 java), while the PPC's are stuck with 1.5 java. Sometimes I wonder if porting Linux java 1.6 and X would be faster ...
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Dec 26, 2009 11:13:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
AKAramis

It only applies to the instance being altered. Start another instance of YPP and it's level will be 0, the default for all processes.

If you're an admin, use sudo nice -n -19 pathToApp & to launch it with priority -19. Someone else can figure the details for making a shell-script to do so.
[Mar 22, 2010 2:14:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

For my XP this seemed to work for other games.

Start>My Computer>Advanced tab>Performance settings button>Click the button that says for best Performance.
that should turn off any fancy visual things.

also there is some programs that can shut down background things so your computer is only running a program+system things needed. but you may not need these programs.
Lesgreg
[Apr 1, 2010 9:24:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

For my XP this seemed to work for other games.

Start>Control Panel>System Properties>Advanced tab>Performance settings button>Click the button that says for best Performance.
that should turn off any fancy visual things.

also there is some programs that can shut down background things so your computer is only running a program+system things needed. but you may not need these programs.

fixed

you made me think I lost my mind, Les
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Edit 1 times, last edit by RedSeaWitch at Apr 2, 2010 9:56:15 AM]
[Apr 2, 2010 9:54:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
REJBELLS

Faceplants Keyboard..

I don't know what kind of computors/programs/set up style ye 2 have..
I have neither chain!!
For me:
Control Panel brings up , in the non classic view.. a page of icons.. None of which say System Properties..
Under
File in the Top left.. is a properties heading but it is greyed out.
The blue left sidebar only gives a choice of which view. Classic..
where you get a blue box with basic categories.. or mine with
small icons of every thing. No where to go to any system properties.

If I go My computor
and pick *View system settings.. in the blue left sidebar panel list.. I get the System Properties Pop Up with tabs across the top.

Then there is an
Advanced tab.
Under that is a section labelled
Performance
(visual effects, processor scheduling, meoery usage, vitual memory..
with a Settings button.

Under Settings:
there is another Advanced Tab
with a category 1
Processor scheduling:
'By default you computor is set to use a greater share of processor time.. and 2 choices
Programs or Bckground Services.
I use Programs.

Category 2
Memory Usage..
by default comp set to use a greater share of memory to run Programs
2 choices..
Programs or system cache
I have system Cache lol

Category 3
virtual memory
a paging file is an area of the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were RAM
Total Paging size for all drives is _____ your number is listed here.. with a button called Change.
I use a high amount as I mainly use the computor for Puzzle Pirates.

Visual Effects
Choices ..
*Let windows choose
*Adjust for best appearance
*Adjust for best performance
*Custom.

Under custom , one can choose various effects to on or off.
It is recommended for PP to^^Turn Off^^

Show shadows under menus and shadows under mouse and use drop shadows for icon labels on desk tops

This helped me tremendously..Others may find they may not need some of the other special effects too..

I can also get to another panel by using

Windows Explorer
This is NOT Internet explorer
In the computor set up etc i use .. It is listed under
Start>All Programs>Accessories> Windows Explorer

Whenit comes up , most likely , My documents will be expanded in the left column.
Close that and expand My Computor.

This will look similar to the My Computor page you get when you click on that from Start Button

However,On the left side is now a separate column of expandables.

On the blue bar at the top of the window it will say My Computor and the file..View etc line..
Click File>Properties is now lit up

The pop up is also different.
In the front of this one.. is my complete computor info.

MSWin XP...Professional... Version 2002..SP3
Who it isregistered to Name and then a long number ID
then
Manufactured and supported By: IBM in my case plus
CPE GHZ Pentiumm etc..
At bottom a support button.

The tabs are also different..
Except.. there is also the Advanced Tab which is the same as described above.

So now we have my 2 and your 2 ways to get to the same place.. And I bet Linus is another kettle of fish.

Mwwhhaaa!
Wildsrose Of:
Cerulean, Meridian & Emerald

The Titan. The Kraken.
[Apr 5, 2010 11:48:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lazyeyes1991

lol thanks windy =P.

and wild, mine is a mix of XP and Vista, its odd.
Lesgreg
[Apr 17, 2010 4:43:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brawnyelaine

For an hour or so i am unable to log in into none of the servers . I have 3 internet access points :
1: Mine which i usually use , 2.5 Mbps
2: Neighbor 2.5 Mbps
3: Neighbor 0.5 Mbps
My computer has i5 430m , ati 5650 , 4GB ram , at least 60 GB of free disk space on each HDD part . Windows 7 64 bit . I did played the game already . The disk is defregmanted every night , checked for viruses spyware etc. every morning . Cleaning all temporary files every afternoon and nothing that has to be in my space is also erased . I installed the game as it wanted to and i can't make the game working and the server status seems to be ok . I did play today ( 7am +2 GMT ) and already an hour i can't make the game play ( 5:58pm current time ).
[Jul 11, 2010 7:58:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Which country are you in? I remember assisting a player in Spain who was having trouble logging in to the game. She was able to ping the servers but the latency was quite varied and sometimes high - but requests to login to the game timed out. After liaising with her ISP, it turns out she needed to upgrade her internet connection. ISPs sometimes don't route traffic for their slower connections in the most efficient manner - making connections to servers that are far away (Spain -> USA) rather unreliable. This may cause connections to the game servers to fail during peak internet usage times in your country, or all the time as was the case with the spanish player.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Jul 11, 2010 8:18:13 AM]
[Jul 11, 2010 8:16:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brawnyelaine

Israel
[Jul 11, 2010 8:25:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

This is a country I know has ISPs which offer "gaming" mode on internet connections. I would advise you contact them about your problems connecting to Puzzle Pirates servers, and see what they say. Ask them if they have any way to improve your connection to servers located in the United States.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Jul 11, 2010 9:15:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hellguy333

I just want to hear what people have to say about the lag now, because currently, I lag every day, and from just playing, people disconnect a lot, it seems rare to have all people connect to a SF for a citadel now, I have people in crew, greeter and flag chat all mentioning lag at one point or another. I've petitioned many times for answers, and still, all I get it there is nothing wrong on their end.
Demeter says, "Boo!"
Ye have received a trade request from Demeter.
Demeter traded: Starfish
Capnsilver traded: Nothing
Demeter tells ye, "And I never tell the reason for a gold starfish. ;) Have a good week."
[Feb 16, 2014 4:03:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates