• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5471 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
Meghaford

small UI problems... Reply to this Post

Here it is, the place to post all those slightly annoying UI problems... whether it's your fault or not, POST THEM!!! the gameplay will be much improved if we all help out. (for example, if you always hit close account instead of dismiss in the bank menu, it's your fault for clicking it, but if other people are doing it also, it's a sign of a bad UI... )
----------------------------------------
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 16, 2003 12:36:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: small UI problems... Reply to this Post

When you click on a sailing puzzle to start it, and it's full... maybe just ship me off to the nearest available station... it so annoying walking around in search of a station.

a button on the vessel menu to leave the ship, this way even if in the belly of a ship you have an easy exit before she deports.

If I deposit 100 PoE in the bank, first try taking the 1PoE charge from my pocket... or am I the only one who likes to keep an even $ in there?

when I /tell someone something and the user isn't on (probably because I've misspelled it)... please don't erase my whole message!

clothing delete/wear. I know this is not as big a deal as it used to be, but whenever I want to wear clothing I have to drag it up. Why not use left click to put it on, and right click to delete? (or maybe a menu instead )

When I am offered a jobbing position, verses permanent position aboard a crew, give me an icon, or something to see the difference between them. I'm half petrified that I'm going to accept membership in a crew and my own will be disbanded. Also, a follow up question to make sure you want to leave yoru current crew and join another.
... and a few others ...
[May 16, 2003 12:36:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

bank account UI... make the close account button different, and have a follow up "are you sure" box.

on swordfighting and drinking, etc... give the help button a unique look, i.e. a little icon or something. so many times I've hit it by accident instead of the little check box.
... and a few others ...
[May 16, 2003 12:38:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Hevneren

Arr Reply to this Post

[quote="If I deposit 100 PoE in the bank, first try taking the 1PoE charge from my pocket... or am I the only one who likes to keep an even $ in there?[/quote]

nay :)
Give up or taste my swordfight skills!
hArr hArr!
[May 16, 2003 12:51:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hevneren

Re: Arr Reply to this Post

[quote][quote="If I deposit 100 PoE in the bank, first try taking the 1PoE charge from my pocket... or am I the only one who likes to keep an even $ in there?[/quote]

nay :)[/quote]

[quote]shouldnt it be like this?[/quote][/quote]
Give up or taste my swordfight skills!
hArr hArr!
[May 16, 2003 12:53:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

I also make the "close account" mistake. I belive this is because I'm expecting that dialog to be divided into bank operations up top, and ok/cancel on the bottom. I propose moving the close account button off the bottom row and under withdraw. I also suggest moving "create account" off this bottom row (though at least I don't read the word "close" and assume it closes the dialog.)

-Hethor
-Hethor
[May 16, 2003 1:08:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

close account button Reply to this Post

At the very least, the "close account" button should not be the leftmost button, as this is where we are led by most UIs to expect to find the "OK" button.
[May 16, 2003 1:31:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

And also, close window being a familiar phrase and being that most people are used to reading from left to right, when the bottom left button says close...it's way too tempting! I've done it twice without really thinking.
[May 16, 2003 1:39:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Meghaford wrote: 
on swordfighting and drinking, etc... give the help button a unique look, i.e. a little icon or something. so many times I've hit it by accident instead of the little check box.

Done that a few times too.

Problem is that you expect a button to do the action of something...not a sort of greyed out option that you can't really see & have to click on twice usually. Could you maybe make the ready text & check box always bright yellow, not muted until you mouse over it, and below the buttons?
[May 16, 2003 1:42:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
loftling

Meghaford wrote: 
When you click on a sailing puzzle to start it, and it's full... maybe just ship me off to the nearest available station... it so annoying walking around in search of a station.

Tricky for reasons I won't go into.

Meghaford wrote: 
a button on the vessel menu to leave the ship, this way even if in the belly of a ship you have an easy exit before she deports.

Funny, I just did that the other day. Look for it in the next release. (There's also a button in the "Ye" panel that takes you back to your home island, no matter where you are, so that you don't have to log off and back on if you want to go home.

Meghaford wrote: 
If I deposit 100 PoE in the bank, first try taking the 1PoE charge from my pocket... or am I the only one who likes to keep an even $ in there?

I think that's weirder. What we need to do is maybe improve the interface so that as
you enter in the amount to withdraw/deposit, the total amount is displayed next to it.
Maybe we'll do something about that in the future.

In the next release, the bank interface is all changed around. You no longer have to open
or close accounts, you just have one, and you can deposit or withdraw as needed.

Meghaford wrote: 
when I /tell someone something and the user isn't on (probably because I've misspelled it)... please don't erase my whole message!

Yeah... The problem here is that at the time the tell is sent to the server, we don't know
if it will succeed or not. And assuming we did save the whole message, the place where we get the response that says "bla is not online" is very removed from the code that manages the chat command history.

Meghaford wrote: 
clothing delete/wear. I know this is not as big a deal as it used to be, but whenever I want to wear clothing I have to drag it up. Why not use left click to put it on, and right click to delete? (or maybe a menu instead )

Macintoshes have only one mouse button. But a menu might work, maybe we'll do some work in this area at some point in the future...

Meghaford wrote: 
When I am offered a jobbing position, verses permanent position aboard a crew, give me an icon, or something to see the difference between them. I'm half petrified that I'm going to accept membership in a crew and my own will be disbanded. Also, a follow up question to make sure you want to leave yoru current crew and join another.

It has long been on the list to change the jobbing crew notification so that it looks completely different. One day, someday, we'll actually do it.
[May 16, 2003 6:32:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Something that always bugged me was that the command history is different depending on which screen is up.
Ie. there's a separate command history for the non-puzzle screen and there's a separate one for the puzzles.

Also it would be great with some filters for the chat log. Alot of games have filters where you can switch between different types of chat. In YPPs case I'd like one where I can see just tells, one where i can see only player speech tells or crew or vessel or just talk.
This is especially usefull when pillaging where you have TONS of system messages such as swordfight eliminations, booty division etc.

I would like a chat history log to disk. Or atleast one that is kept for as long as the client is running. Sometimes I gotta run off and after a while you're logged off, I have no clue if people pop in and tells me something important or just plain being friendly while it looks like Im ignoring them.

I would like an /away or /afk command so players can see im away instead of the time before you go ZZZ. Perhaps even with an auto reply when tells are sent.

And while on that subject, it would be nice with auto replies to tells when you're in some kind of puzzle.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[May 16, 2003 1:00:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

the new hook icon on the booty menu looks too much like the help icon on the radial menu...
... and a few others ...
[May 24, 2003 9:49:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Meghaford wrote: 
the new hook icon on the booty menu looks too much like the help icon on the radial menu...

...which makes us think "Help! Tell me about this piece of clothing." That, and gravity will cause everything caught to slide off of the hook when you drag it around. Maybe a rotation of the image is in order instead of a simple flip.

I get the joke-- most UIs have a little right hand that clenches for dragging and dropping, and this has a little right hook --and I know that switching the icon's appearance lessens the joke. So, to preserve it, perhaps each player should see a hand or hook cursor as fits the pirate. Any player earning a hook will have played for long enough to not be confused when the UI changes.
[May 24, 2003 11:55:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

That Delete Pirate under me pirate when I log in makes me nervous.

I find myself doin' a good bit of copyin' and pastin' and usin' tell to have quick discussions with ALL of my officers that are on. I wish there was an option to send tells to ALL OFFICERS.

While we are at it, the green color of my tell after I send it is sort of annoying. I have to squint to read whay I just said. Sometimes I like to re-read what I sent... Especially when I tell from a nav puzzle or sume such where you cannot see wht you are writin' because there is enough room.

I am CONSTANTLY meanin' to speak to the group I am talkin' to, only to find I send the message to the last person I was TELLing. In fact, I have been know to tell someone my group message several times in a row afore I catch on.

How will we ever trade clothes again if a single left click always puts the item in use?
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[May 25, 2003 1:01:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
dnxthx

Deliver Reply to this Post

If the "Deliver" button is changed to "Deliver Here" then it would be clearer that you can have stuff delivered to whereever you want.
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM
[May 28, 2003 3:48:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

'14 pirates lazing about' helps me 0 on seeing who is on the ship, especially the players

also, it may be helpful to know how many of who ye had on the ship are off of it currently (visiting the island)
Not everything I think is something I should say...
[May 28, 2003 4:30:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Fake button! Reply to this Post

In the Shop Interface "Place and Manage Orders" there is a Deliver button - now, as a shopkeeper I can't use that to deliver to the shop; I have to go into the "Inventory management" screen instead; so it doesn't seem to actually do anything! It could be removed quite happily (or made active for the shopkeeper only?)
[May 28, 2003 4:36:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

1. In the crows nest view, when I click the button to attack a ship, I'll often get a message saying it's too far away to attack. Sometimes I see the message, sometimes I don't. Could it just automatically attack so I don't have to look frantically to make sure that it actually took?

2. When on the ship, docked at an island, I find myself clicking the upper right corner map to get to the island... This would be the perfect Disembark button. (Duncan has also made this mistake)
... and a few others ...
[May 29, 2003 9:59:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

now that ye can board a ship from anywhere, it may be helpful in the ship selection screen for an input on where each ship is?
[May 30, 2003 4:39:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

disembark Reply to this Post

Meghaford wrote: 

2. When on the ship, docked at an island, I find myself clicking the upper right corner map to get to the island... This would be the perfect Disembark button. (Duncan has also made this mistake)

Aye, I do this all the time, too. Since this display doesn't do anything else, it seems to make alot of sense to me to have it both disembark ye AND put up the island map, since that's probably what ye had in mind.
[May 30, 2003 5:30:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

When you tell a NPP to do something, we can see that they go and do it, we don't need them to say "Aye" or whatever as well, as it can sometimes be annoying.
... and a few others ...
[May 30, 2003 6:02:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

when not pulled into port, have the "disembark" buton grayed out (obviously not available) because whenever jobbing and I try to get off the ship, I find myself searching for the button, only to realize it wasn't there yet because we hadn't pulled into port yet.

The grayed out button would give immediate feedback that I can't do that yet :)
... and a few others ...
[Jun 2, 2003 3:12:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
chrispirate

Loggin straight on to a full ship Reply to this Post

When I log on a new session, and click on an available ship, if it happens to be full it just freezes with a blue screen until I click 'Go back to home Island'

Should be a message that tells you its full instead of having to go back to Alpha before trying again from there to find the message 'Shiver me timbers, it seems that vessels full!'

Tanglebeard the most Feared Beard that ever Peered in your beer!
Officer Tanglebeard o the Rudder Lubbers
Most Fear'd Beard in the Diamond Archipeligo
[Jun 3, 2003 8:46:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

I have filed this very thing as a bug. About a week or more ago.

All ye see is the "getting me move on" indefinately.
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jun 3, 2003 1:39:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
berk

I haven't read enough of this thread to know if this has been suggested or not, but the behavior of the middle mouse button / mouse wheel drives me batty. First of all, clicking the middle mouse button should NOT do a move-to like it currently does. Second, when using the mouse wheel to scroll around some of the scrollable areas jump instead of scrolling smothly. Large shop inventories like the Tailor can't be browsed with the mouse wheel, you only get the top and the bottom. Windows like the Ahoy! window jump by a full page instead of scolling smoothly.
[Jun 3, 2003 1:57:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Lazing about Reply to this Post

Could the list of what people are doing on the ship include a new icon, or keep showing the navigating icon, for the person doing the sea battle puzzle? For one thing, it gets a bit tiresome to explain when jobbers ask why you are getting money for just lazing around for most of the trip! For another, if there is more than one officer on board, and no-one was in the navigation puzzle before we intercepted, we could see that someone had picked it up without having to leave our puzzles, or shout to each other.
[Jun 5, 2003 2:32:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

i forget if this was mentioned before but after a sea battle, from the crows next, the screen stays as to when the ships collided, even when you start moving.
i think you should be able to see sea battle from up there as well.

i really really wish there a way to see the following from anywhere on the ship:

bilge
damage
cannons loaded/total cannons
jobs filled/jobs open
speed

also, would it be possible for each cannon to be inspected before going into the puzzle to find theyre already ready..?
[Jun 5, 2003 3:55:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Aye, I agree about the ship status indicators being available in the vessel menu, I think we touched on this in another thread. The cannons are a good idea too.

I would also like to be able to see the duty report from the crows nest. While I don't get up there very often, when I do I often find myself wanting to see how everyone is doing.
... and a few others ...
[Jun 5, 2003 4:05:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

I've been finding lately that while trying to start up the navigation puzzle (especially when in sea battle) I will accidentally go into the "chart course" menu instead. (this has been annoying me to no small extent) I finally determined the cause.

In the bilging and sailing work menus, there is only 2 items, help and work. In the gunnery, there are three, depending on how many cannons you want to load at the same time. All of those menus, you can work by clicking on the rightmost menu item. In the navigation menu, charting the course it the rightmost, and also corresponds to the cannon menu item which I normally use.

Change the chart course item to the left of the help, (keeping the help at 12 o'clock) strikes me as being the best solution. Of course just switching the navigate and chart course items should be ok as well.
... and a few others ...
[Jun 10, 2003 10:35:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
dnxthx

Manager Orders Reply to this Post

I'd like to see the manage orders screen to keep track of ALL of the past N orders, or M days of orders, which ever is smaller, instead of seemingly randomly dropping out some of those that are finished, and others that are not.
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM
[Jun 11, 2003 12:51:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates