• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1560 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Rengor

Work puzzle UI change Reply to this Post

I've been using the crows nest quite a bit lately on trips. Partly because of the extended view, but mostly because I much prefer it's UI (User Interface for those not familiar) over the UI in the work puzzles.

I like to have the options of viewing who's online, doing captain things to my crew, check npp stats, switch my sword before a sea battle etc.

So I propose a UI change.

What I'd prefer is the UI that the Crows Nest has because it looks like the standard UI and is real clean, but I realize that means resizing some work puzzles and that's a daunting task.

So instead I messed with some graphics to put it all into the lower right box that currently holds the control panel.
The new control panel has the sunshine view, the meters, the vessel commands and the chat log. Colors should be changed so they match ofcourse.

Close view:

Full UI:

----------------------------------------
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[May 15, 2003 2:38:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: Work puzzle UI change Reply to this Post

I agree somewhat, but putting the whole sunshine menu in the work puzzles is a bit of overkill, and there's just no room for it all. For example, too many buttons and not enough places to put them. (you'll pe pressing dismiss puzzle instead of attack... and vice versa) You also have no room to bring up info on ships to attack, unless you squish down the chat window a bit. Having that much is also a bit intimidating, especially to those who don't need to do anything but bilge...
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 15, 2003 11:52:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

What I propose:

The work puzzle already give you the option to open a window to see the crew on the ship. A little button, much like the little ship one, could serve a similar purpose to view your crew (take it straight from your sunshine crew menu)

Being able to tell NPP's what job to do from the ship menu (as I believe we've talked about before) would also be a most welcome addition.

One last thing which silverbeard didn't mention is when there are multiple ships to attack, somethimes they're going fast and there's not always time to click on the ship... (sometimes have to click a few times to get it) and then click the attack button. In the info bar right below the bilge/damage indicators, it changes to whatever ship is closer. I'd like to keep this the same for non-officers and jobbers on the crew owning the ship. But for officers and captains who own that ship, I'd like to see tiles of info appear for the different ships whom you can attack. (Tiles, not a list because in a list the attack buttons will be too close to each other and you are more likely to hit the wrong one by accident. ) The tiles should be outlined in the same color that the ship is ringed in. Crew name, flag, and maybe the highest ranking officer on board should be included (if theres room). Maybe an icon as to how they are rated... scurvy dogs, mostly harmless, etc. (often I will exit my work puzzle, do a /who to see exactly who is on a ship after I attack, because there's no time to do that before attacking!)
... and a few others ...
[May 16, 2003 12:07:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

I'd also like to see a shrunken down indicator of bilge/damage/speed in the Sun/Vessel menu... this way when you board a ship you can immediately see if you want to get off... or so in the crows nest you can assign NPP's accordingly.
... and a few others ...
[May 16, 2003 12:09:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Einstein9073

Damage meters Reply to this Post

Meghaford wrote: 
I'd also like to see a shrunken down indicator of bilge/damage/speed in the Sun/Vessel menu...
I second this idea. Having the meters available for view when not in a puzzle will make life much easier.

Perhaps you could follow the same idea proposed earlier - a small toggle switch available only on board, that hides or displays the SDB meters.
Einstein, Fellucia
Yarr, matey.

[May 19, 2003 6:01:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scn.org/~einstein [Link]  Go to top 
GeneralLabor

Me thinks that it would be good to be able to change league points from the Crows nest so that when a Ship that you were pursuing has a different course plotted and they hit a league point you can quickly take note and change your course to match so that the scoundrels cant get away. Would give the person in the crow?s nest something more to do, up there where it is easy to spot prey.....
[May 19, 2003 7:36:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Neat... Reply to this Post

These are all neat ideas... I agree with Ursela that there's no room for the full sun widget in the duty report window. Multiple ship listings would be nice... as would mini-dials (I often find myself wanting this)... umm... as would re-charting from the crow's nest (this is probably easiest to do). Alas, all probably not high on the list, for now!

So much to do...
[May 20, 2003 1:25:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

ye needs yer crew! Reply to this Post

I find it much easier to control everything when my officers are on. Particularly if Cabeza is on, since he's sitting right next to me and I can direct him without having to type...*grin*. With a couple of officers on, though, it's really easy, because I can have them wander around the ship reassigning npps, or watching the dials and telling pps where to go. It would be nice to have a "captain's chair" where it would be straightforward to reassign everyone, hire and fire, and at the same time watch for incoming ships, but we're in a low-tech age, so having a reliable crew is a perfectly workable substitute.
[May 20, 2003 2:10:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates