• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4424 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
BehindCurtai

Cutters, again (was: Idea: Fixing gunning with this new "gunning pays" system) Reply to this Post

I'm assuming that the new methods of pay will be usable on pillages. In the "New ice features" thread, a comment was raised about how hard it is to get to be good at pillage gunning, and how this will just make things more exclusive.

Here's an idea. Make it more likely that a loaded cutter will face cutters instead of brigs.

We all know that 7 in a sloop is likely to face a WB on anything harder than yellow. So imagine what a cutter is like.

Now, consider what a cutter has, that a sloop doesn't have: Two gunning stations.

On a sloop, you need your one gunner to be good. You really can't take a learner.

On a cutter, you can -- if the gunners can each do 1-2 per round, that's enough.

So cutters are probably the best way for people to transition from navy gunning to pillage gunning.

Except that a cutter gets outclassed almost all the time. I think (it's been a while since I checked) that 9 on a cutter on a green will spawn MB's.

How about giving cutters more cutters? If nothing else, that would give cutters some sort of advantage over sloops.
----------------------------------------
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Edit 1 times, last edit by BehindCurtai at Sep 26, 2006 3:09:27 PM]
[Sep 21, 2006 1:27:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

Re: Idea: Fixing gunning with this new "gunning pays" system Reply to this Post

I agree that cutters suck. I agree with your proposed buffing of cutters. I don't agree with your post topic not having anything to do with cutters.
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Sep 21, 2006 3:07:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

I really like this idea! I have a couple of cutters that sit unused because they always seem to spawn Brigs on pillages. I orginally got the cutters as a training ship for crew members, especially for gunning (navy is much different than pillaging), but on a full ship even average stats seem to spawn brigs.
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Sep 21, 2006 3:23:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Glad to see you're finally admitting cutters suck.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 21, 2006 5:58:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

Nah, cutters are just fine, it's spawns that are broken ; P
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Sep 25, 2006 7:10:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

You really should retitle this. If I had known what this is about I'd have jumped all over it sooner.

I don't know what changed but it used to be that if you pillaged on a cutter you would spawn sloops and cutters. Now when I try to pillage on a cutter I almost always spawn brigs. Why? Do bots take up more room than real players? I also don't get why when I pillage on a sloop almost all of my spawns are cutters, even when there are 7 or less bots on the ship.

Why has this changed from a couple years ago? What was the problem? Maybe other people are too good? Well, that's nice for them. I'm not good enough to bnav a cutter against a brig. I never was even in a position where I had to do this until I started bnavving again over the summer.

Really this should be fixed.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Sep 25, 2006 7:43:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
culturex

This change would also make it easier to run recruiting pillages on something smaller than a war brig. Cutters hold 12 which means you take take two gunner, two carpers and two bilgers along. If one is just learning, the other can take up the slack. Unlike on sloops with 6 aboard where a carper or bilger getting fine/poor isn't going to cut it. Not to mention the need for a decent gunner as pointed out by the OP.
Culture, Kaptain of Wicked, Hunter Ocean
Improving Pirates Everywhere
[Sep 25, 2006 8:36:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
c_squared01

Cutters indeed suck. Fix them. No more war brig spawns. No more merchant brig spawns. Please.

You say if I have 12 people, I should take a brig -- but it doesn't matter how crappy my 12 people are, if I am driving, it's always merchant brigs attacking us.

Meta-meta-linky? Yes, a link to a previous Faulkston-post that just has links in it. And there are a lot of links saying cutters are broken.

This is quite possibly my #1 easy-to-fix complaint about the pillaging aspect of this game.
Chrisspy
[Sep 25, 2006 11:33:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

This might just be my l33tness creeping out, but I HATE going out on a brig with less than 25 people. It seems like payouts take a massive hit on a per-pirate basis on undermanned brigs. If I have 12 people I'd rather split up and go on two sloops.

I suspect cutters would be awesome if they fired medium shot.
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Sep 25, 2006 11:49:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Following the pattern of the other ships, cutters are "merchant sloops." They hold more cargo, but aren't much better armed. I don't think you should be trying to pillage in them. It's a bit like using a wrench as a hammer: sure, you can, but not very well.

also, looking at the subject line: yeah, like we need more reason for "can i gun" spam from greenies.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Edit 1 times, last edit by cmdrzoom at Sep 25, 2006 12:37:05 PM]
[Sep 25, 2006 12:35:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Well then if the cutter purposely doesn't serve well as a pillaging ship, then there should be a new pillaging ship to fill the space between sloop and war brig.

It's not uncommon that I know 8 people who would like to pillage.

Hmm, maybe we could call it a Large Sloop...
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Sep 25, 2006 12:45:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

then there should be a new pillaging ship to fill the space between sloop and war brig.

You mean this?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 25, 2006 4:39:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
rhandom

then there should be a new pillaging ship to fill the space between sloop and war brig.

You mean this?

I prefer double smalls to single Mediums for that slot, it fits into the higher pattern better.
6s4c3b4g(16), double small, 4 moves, 18 crew max, 1 sloop cargo, 20 smalls to sink.

Could call it "Gunner's Delight" or "War Cutter"
Hahvahd on Cerulean, Rhandy everywhere.

Once the pin is removed, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.
[Sep 25, 2006 6:22:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorien

Welcome back Faulkston! Figure you'll be hitting this thread soon enough so I'd slide it in there.
Lord of Tyr's Own, Ambassador and SO of the Fifth Fist

I've never met a keg o' Rum I didn't like!
[Sep 25, 2006 10:50:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Nah, cutters are just fine, it's spawns that are broken ; P

Some of those old debates were great-even Angie got involved and she's the queen of lurkers ( =
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 26, 2006 3:40:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates