• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 96
Posts: 96   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20088 times and has 95 replies Next Thread
Cleaver
Captain

Discussion for September's Letter from the Captain Reply to this Post

For discussion of the September Letter from the Captain. Har!
[Sep 20, 2006 6:54:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Re: Discussion for September's Letter from the Captain Reply to this Post

a revamped Pirate page and Trophies that display there, to be earnt by deeds of valour and courage (or perhaps utter ineptitude!)

Oh, please, don't give away trophies fer bein' useless.
----------------------------------------
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Sep 21, 2006 8:51:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Yay Hypnos.

But even more, yay for communication from the cappy'tan.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 21, 2006 8:54:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

Cleaver wrote: 
Let us know. We're thinking Spanish and Portuguese would be fun.

Alot of Dutch speakers play, more than any other lanaguage I know of. (except english)
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[Sep 21, 2006 8:56:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

I'm very proud of my lump of coal and my zombie foot.
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Sep 21, 2006 8:59:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Yay! Madison, WI!
[Sep 21, 2006 9:10:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

But, but... if we don't, how will I get any?
[Sep 21, 2006 9:13:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

We need a server that speaks the Canadian language eh?
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Sep 21, 2006 9:14:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

We need a server that speaks the Canadian language eh?

I'm blowed up like a harbour Tom cod.

Alot of Dutch speakers play, more than any other lanaguage I know of. (except english)

I'm not proud to admit this but alot of them home on Viridian and most tend to annoy the crap out of me.
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by IceColdFire at Sep 21, 2006 9:32:31 AM]
[Sep 21, 2006 9:30:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Triggs wrote: 
Cleaver wrote: 
Let us know. We're thinking Spanish and Portuguese would be fun.

Seconded, I know quite a few of em.

Meanwhile, woot for Hypnos, and welcome other new mates!
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Sep 21, 2006 9:32:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lorenith

Yeah, alot of my hearties and flaggies are dutch too, alot of them dusted off english to play this game. (Many of them had not spoken or wrote it for years till they started playing).

Its interesting to note that most of them speak english better than many people were english is their first language. -_-;;

Edit: Ooops left out part of a sentence.
Lorenith-Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lorenith at Sep 21, 2006 9:42:59 AM]
[Sep 21, 2006 9:42:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://lorenith.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
bien

But, but... if we don't, how will I get any?

You won't, so now you have to implement my stamp book idea to get something to show fer yer time here.

=P
[Sep 21, 2006 9:44:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Silly idea for other languages in the game:

Make slash commands, ingame status messages, and emotes translate to their language. Maybe they can pick it from options or it can be based on the default language of their computer. Bots should also speak their language. It was bizarre to go on Indigo and still be able to read 3/4 of the things there. Then again, my computer is set to English (US), so maybe the bots can speak German and I just don't know it.

Maybe you could even have an autochat panel so that a jobber could select "Wanneer wij haven?" from their list and the XO, who didn't speak Dutch, could still plank them for asking to port because they'd see it translated to their language in their chat. >.>

P.S. I <3 Babelfish.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Sep 21, 2006 9:45:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

a revamped Pirate page and Trophies that display there, to be earnt by deeds of valour and courage (or perhaps utter ineptitude!)

Just make it display when they apply for a job, and I might now mind so much....
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Sep 21, 2006 9:47:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Make slash commands, ingame status messages, and emotes translate to their language. Maybe they can pick it from options or it can be based on the default language of their computer. Bots should also speak their language. It was bizarre to go on Indigo and still be able to read 3/4 of the things there. Then again, my computer is set to English (US), so maybe the bots can speak German and I just don't know it.

I think that's why -- pretty sure everything 'built in' to the game on Indigo (i.e. nppspeak, emotes, etc.) is all translated into German, but if you have your computer set to English, it'll feed you English.
[Sep 21, 2006 9:53:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

I don't know if there are alot of Russian mates, but if ye make one for them, I would have a reason to improve my skill in that language.
Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Sep 21, 2006 9:54:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ceci1980

Well as a spanish native speaker, I think spanish would be very good to have. As opposed to other mates that posted above i think i haven't seen many dutch players. But I come across latin pirates and spanish speaking pirates all the time. Just last night and by coincidence there were 4 of us in 6 people sloop pilly lol... and I only knew one of them!

Anyhow don't really know how it would work... Like Indigo? Or just translating some ingame text to make is easier?

Cheers to the Captain. Ty for keeping us up to date!
Cecidrake
Senior Officer of The Lost Lot
Sage Ocean
[Sep 21, 2006 10:00:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Well as a spanish native speaker, I think spanish would be very good to have. As opposed to other mates that posted above i think i haven't seen many dutch players. But I come across latin pirates and spanish speaking pirates all the time. Just last night and by coincidence there were 4 of us in 6 people sloop pilly lol... and I only knew one of them!

Anyhow don't really know how it would work... Like Indigo? Or just translating some ingame text to make is easier?

Cheers to the Captain. Ty for keeping us up to date!

I think it's all about hanging out with people who speak the same language you do. The vast majority of the people I know ingame are either native English speakers or can type the language fluently. So, I know lots of Canadians, British, and Americans. I also know one instance of someone who was Dutch who moved from our crew to one with mostly Dutch speakers because he wasn't fluent and found it difficult to keep up with our chat.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Sep 21, 2006 10:22:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
culturex

Just make it display when they apply for a job, and I might now mind so much....

I will pay you to add a trophy for excessive planking or leaving battle.
Culture, Kaptain of Wicked, Hunter Ocean
Improving Pirates Everywhere
[Sep 21, 2006 10:30:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fonqueesha

Hoorah for Hypnos! You go... er.... you Hypnos you!

A spoogy woogy woo! A spoogy woogy woo!
Fonqueesha, Sage, Halcyon....
Trying to find time to play the game...
Glaucus wrote: 
Go directly to the locker. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 PoE.

[Sep 21, 2006 10:47:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Polish and Spanish. Those are the two foreign languages I come across the most, especially Spanish. I know in Poland, though, that the kids in school are taught one of two foreign languages. One is English and the other is German.

Babelfish is only as good as a textbook. A lot of the Spanish languages use idioms from their local area so there may be no translation or improper translation via Babelfish. I use it frequently to just get the point across, but sometimes that is lacking also.

Welcome aboard to all the new Ringers and congrats to Hypnos for moving in full-time!

PS. Master Cleaver, would it be possible to set up a YPP parrty with more advance knowledge than has previously been given to allow us more time to plan on attendance? I do have a couple of fun ideas in mind for next year!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Sep 21, 2006 10:50:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valien

Kudos to Cap'n Cleaver for the monthly news rag. Glad to hear about all the cool stuff coming down.

Will make my fall/winter much more pleasant when I can't go outdoors and play. hehe

Welcome to the fulltime crew all ye new folk! Keep making this game ROCK.

~V
Valien ~ Breathing in Viridian's salty air since July 05.
[Sep 21, 2006 10:53:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chumpmonkey.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Yeah, alot of my hearties and flaggies are dutch too, alot of them dusted off english to play this game. (Many of them had not spoken or wrote it for years till they started playing).

Its interesting to note that most of them speak english better than many people were english is their first language. -_-;;

Edit: Ooops left out part of a sentence.

Most large European countries localize American and English entertainment, either by dubbing (movies, hit TV) or reproduction (as I'm sure you know, "Big Brother" comes from Endemol, although it always had that name, even in Holland.

The Dutch do have a long trading history, but what quality of English Dutch people growing up nowadays have tends to be based on the fact that at least half the TV broadcasts are in English.

A Dutch student who leaves school with an English diploma will have a much better grasp of spoken English, on average, as an equally smart Italian student. Of course, they may struggle with the difference between it's and its, and where and were.

Where am I going with this?

Rather than having specific language servers, have 'cosmop' servers. For example, the first such server could be for both Spanish AND Portuguese, and perhaps have limited support for French and Italian initially too.

Another server could cover all of Scandinavia.

A different server yet could have 'non-English' as its goal, with a list of languages supported in the interface, and a range of multilingual OMs visiting at scheduled times.

Since you are in California, you will be able to find native speakers of many languages, but none more so than Spanish. So that is where I agree you should start.

I just think it would be a waste if you don't implement the internationalization in such a way that you can't hot swap languages. It only takes a day or so of developer time (it took me less than 2 hours to implement the system, and another couple to actually get every piece of UI text translated too). Pseudocode:

for C in Self.Controls do
case GetTypeInfo(C).TypeName of
'TForm': TForm(C).Caption := Translate(C.Tag, Language);
// etc

The other advantage of having either Spanish or English be the 'main' language for the server is that they are both spoken world-wide.

Finally, if you simply call it an international server, but have the English language option available, current players can also move there more easily. Just insist that building names be non-English (perhaps themed per island), and perhaps filter out the entire English dictionary and baby-names list, unless the words are common to many languages.

Dylan
[Sep 21, 2006 11:20:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

From what I have experienced, most Dutch people are fluent in english whereas Spanish/Portuguese aren't. Making it harder for people from the second group to understand and communicate in-game. I know there are exceptions (hence why I said most) but I think its just something to consider.

Personally , at least in Sage, I have seen much more Spanish/Portuguese pirates than Dutch. (or perhaps they were Dutch , but due to their fluent english, I didnt even notice nor bothered to ask)
Damagon
[Sep 21, 2006 11:22:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheUnderlord

Our lubbly captain wrote: 
Par is our first remote software engineer, working out of his Madison WI home.
Wait, you're taking remote engineers from Wisconsin now?

Guess I don't have to worry about moving if I ever get a job at OOO.
for (int i = 1; i > 0; i++) {
postcount++;
}
Avatar by the überawesome Kingpriam
[Sep 21, 2006 11:29:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Trophies - yes! Nice plan - I would love to see them for things like beating level 10 sf/ rumble challenge - which I would gladly go back and do :) Will they be something that can be displayed in the case or will they only show up on the info page? (/e points to her sad little display case holding one skull with some stranger's name on it.) I guess it wouldn't do at all to make them tradeable so that probably eliminates being able to display them.

Upon reading the descriptions for earning the trophies it seems like they might be a little too easy to earn though, unless I am reading it wrong. I think it would be good to keep the trophies from being too common so they don't lose their novelty as quickly as the pets did.

I do like having the number 1 slots get trophies - I know it is tough to get there oceanwide (not so tough arch wide though - if ye pick the right arch to live in :P) I also like the ultimate trophy, though it should be a minimum of time with that standing (I once achieved leg in carp and lost it the next duty report and have never seen it again!)

Getting an incredible on a duty report is really not that hard - I have even gotten it on gun (and I am horrible at gun - it was a fluke thing with a perfect board!) Getting an incredible 5 times in a row is a bit harder though. Of course I know of peole who set up a vegas on sails then don't work for a league or two and still have increds.

I am not sure why people ought to get a trinket AND a trophy for defeating skellies - doesn't seem quite fair. Maybe it should be again for having done it x times, and still being alive at the end of the fight. Of course I've yet to be able to join the fray, they tell me what they will take then say they would be outnumbered - sigh -

I am not sure about the KB trophy - I thought that was really a random sort of thing - I got KB the second time ever bnavving outside the navy, and it certainly wasn't because of my skill. A friend of mine actually got it while bnavving in the navy (how or why - not sure) But it is a cool thing and again it would be nice if you got the trophy after so many times of earning kb.

A changing trophy might be cool - for instance Masterpiece 5 on carp that could be updated if you get mp6, and so forth to track yer highest achievement on a puzzle. Have one each for the puzzles that have combo bonuses: bilge, (sea donkeys / vegas) carp, sail, shipwright, swordfight and rumble.

I don't know how all that would work - I don't know if the game tracks all that - I figure it must at least track incredibles with the duty puzzles.

Payment system for blockade - awesome! It is extremely annoying to be working your heart out through a blockade and see those who are consitently booching intentionally and know that they will be paid the same. An automatic booch 2x = plank feature would be nice (everyone booches occasionally - but 2x is intentional :P)

I don't think I like gunner's glory though - it is already a bit of an elite club as it is. Those who are great at gun are the only ones ever allowed to do it, so they are constantly keeping their stats up, while the rest of us have to resort to gunning with the navy, which is 1) boring after a while and 2) quite different than gunning in battle so it isn't really much practice. Yes, I know gunning in a blockade is a lot more work than on a pillage, but since many gunners laze on pillys, I don't think they should be rewarded for finally working as hard as the rest of us. :P I would think gunner's glory would be quite annoying for the XO - it already drives most of them nuts when people ask to gun, imagine how many more would ask if they thought they would be paid more! lol

I am not sure of the advantages of having hearties on the info page - I'll have to wait and see on that one. I guess it's a "not what you know but WHO you know kind of thing."

All in all I am very excited about the upcoming changes. That is one thing I love about this game is the 'liquidness' of it :D

Thanks for all the hard work that goes into it - and I didn't mean to sound like I was nit-picking just ummmm.... adding my input yeah that's it :P
Pletoo of Sage
[Sep 21, 2006 11:42:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

When trophies get released on the main oceans, I suspect we're going to see a lot more people cheating to get up to Ultimate. I hope Liz plans to be very busy for a few weeks.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Sep 21, 2006 11:57:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

A changing trophy might be cool - for instance Masterpiece 5 on carp that could be updated if you get mp6, and so forth to track yer highest achievement on a puzzle. Have one each for the puzzles that have combo bonuses: bilge, (sea donkeys / vegas) carp, sail, shipwright, swordfight and rumble.

YES...Wait nooo!

Although it would be awesome to show off my MPs , I wont be able to show my all time record MP^31. That was six months ago, I am lucky if I get to 20 now :(
Damagon
[Sep 21, 2006 12:01:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

I will pay you to add a trophy for excessive planking or leaving battle.

This would be nice as a way to identify just plain rude mates who haven't quite earned a ban- the "golden plank" trophy.

Ironically, my tendency to accept blind jobbing offers and tell off the officer where their captain can hear means that I'd get the "ultimate crew expulsion" trophy too.

Also: congrats again to Hypnos! Glad that's on record now- I burnt out more brain cells finding out than from that time someone gassed the lab.

These monthly letters from the Captain are rather fun surprises. Next month, can you announce the "golden grammar" trophy for people who don't type the dread "lol" for a full 30 consecutive hours of login time?
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Sep 21, 2006 12:08:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I don't know if there are alot of Russian mates, but if ye make one for them, I would have a reason to improve my skill in that language.

agreed. I studied Russian for three years in college, but my high school Spanish is fresher because from time to time I actually *use* it. my Russian skills have devolved into remembering how to cuss somebody out, and asking how to get to the post office.

heck, I can probably count better in Japanese (from judo as a kid) than I can in Russian now. tis sad......
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Sep 21, 2006 12:18:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 96   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates