• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 56
Posts: 56   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9851 times and has 55 replies Next Thread
Leuce

[Contest] Who wants to be Hades' Governor? (Judging Completed)

For far too long, the ocean has been calm.

Hades, Lord of the Underworld grows restless. He hungers for conflict, for the scent of gunpowder, and the delicious sound of ships glub-glubbing as they sink to the ocean floor. Hades wants war. And he wants you to be the one to start it.

He's taken advantage of the much beloved Amphitrite's absence, and now the flags of Death's Banner can be seen flying over Descartes Isle. He's willing to install you as governor, if only you'll do his bidding.

Do you have what it takes to mastermind a war and be the governor of Descartes?

The rules:

1. Draft a plan for how you would manage and run Descartes, making sure to carefully consider the judging criteria below.

2. You must include the name of your pirate with your entry.

3. There is a limit of one entry per pirate.

4. Governor plans must include 3-6 planned events. Planned events do not include tournaments and auctions, though you may include those (and any other details you like) in your event plan as well.

5. Plans may only have one blockade-style event, but you can certainly have additional non-event blockades.

6. Entries are due on Friday, September 29th at 11:59 PM, Pacific Time

7. In order to preserve the secrecy of any strategy you devise, entries are to be sent via PM to me (Leuce).

Judging Criteria:

Judges will consider all plans with the following criteria, in roughly this order of importance:

1. Feasibility. The plans should be possible to put into action under the current rules of the game.

2. Conflict. While cutsey parlor tricks like eerie red lighting are all well and good, when Hades wants war, he wants the real deal. Sunk ships and all. Think carefully about how you would make this happen. Hades would be extra-pleased if your plan involved overthrowing an additional island or two.

3. Independence. While some OM assistance is available, plans which can be put into action without such will be valued more highly.

4. Creativity. Original and unique ideas will be valued more.

5. Fun. Creative ways of conveying the plan (without losing clarity) are good for brownie points.

Prizes:

Win, and get the chance to put your plan into action. You'll be made governor, and granted power over Descartes Isle. Other prizes may be given out as we deem appropriate.

Rules for the Governor's prize:

1. You must have a free slot for a pirate. You will create a character who will be crewed as an officer in Death's Gate (Hades' crew). If needed, we can move a character from your account to make space.

2. This character will be given a white name, and will be made governor of the island.

3. This character will be used to carry out the plan

4. The player must remain in-character, and do his or her best to stick to the plan proposed.

5. The player must stay active with the governor character.

6. In addition to receiving control of Descartes Isle, you will also be given the deeds to 3 ships (a sloop, a war brig, and a war frigate). It's up to you to decide if and how you use them.[/quote]

7. Within reason, Hades is able to provide prizes for events and contests planned and run by the Governor. Any prizes given cannot directly support the war effort.

8. For the duration of the governorship, Descartes Island will be closed to blockades. However, Hades is a fickle God, and on January 5, 2007 this protection will end.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Leuce at Oct 5, 2006 6:47:20 PM]
[Sep 17, 2006 7:01:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
samtheboy

Re: [Contest] Who wants to be Hades' Governor?

8. For the duration of the governorship, Descartes Island will be closed to blockades. However, Hades is a fickle God, and on January 5, 2007 this protection will end.

How precisely are you planning on preventing blockades?
Want an avatar like mine? Just ask Phillite
"Sigh. No, you're never getting unbanned after making me waste 5 minutes of my time cleaning up after you." - Lizthegrey
[Sep 17, 2006 12:03:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://leagueoflight.forumup.org [Link]  Go to top 
Saint_Death

The same way ringer controlled islands are....
mcfunky wrote: 
you can't really complain... unless of course your name is saintdeath and complaining is your actual job.

[Sep 17, 2006 12:04:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
samtheboy

Wouldn't that be against the spirit of the game though? Why would the OMs transfer back ownership of an island to a flag that lost the island fair and square?
Just worried that there will be some disappointed Governers out there :D
"Sigh. No, you're never getting unbanned after making me waste 5 minutes of my time cleaning up after you." - Lizthegrey
[Sep 17, 2006 11:03:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://leagueoflight.forumup.org [Link]  Go to top 
Saint_Death

Can the island be given away in an event somewhere close to January 5th or will the ringers regain control of it?
mcfunky wrote: 
you can't really complain... unless of course your name is saintdeath and complaining is your actual job.

[Sep 17, 2006 11:26:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
solidopc

Wouldn't that be against the spirit of the game though? Why would the OMs transfer back ownership of an island to a flag that lost the island fair and square?
Just worried that there will be some disappointed Governers out there :D

I think it means, Descartes will be an Event Blockade Island until Jan 5th. Death's Banner is an OM run flag like Baker's Union. The flag who has the governer selected will not gain control of the island. Rather the person winning gets to put an alt in the OM flag to run the events.
[Sep 18, 2006 12:43:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

This is the third season, of sorts, for the "Who Wants to be Hades' Governor?" event.

The first time around, three islands found new governors: Jorvik Island (Midnight) and Sakejima Island (Cobalt and Viridian). Event thread.

The second time, Cobalt's Lima Island was the one used. Event thread.

Now the event has come to the Sage Ocean, but there are some differences. The island is currently Ringer controlled, but will become the event island for the duration of three months. After that (as a change from previous seasons) Descartes will be open to blockades.
[Sep 18, 2006 2:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

Wait, so Sage gets a fourth large island? Ew.
Don't pave me, please!
For real this time wrote: 
but I shall no longer take any active part in the game, on any ocean.

Join the local PPA - Puzzle Pirates Anonymous, coming to a town near you!
[Sep 18, 2006 4:02:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
samtheboy

Thanks for clarifying that solid!
[Sep 18, 2006 5:50:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://leagueoflight.forumup.org [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Just for clarification, being governor in this sense is all about the events you're running and nothing to do with palace policies and island tinkering? Or are they also considered but with significantly less weight?
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Sep 18, 2006 10:28:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fanatic12345

Just for clarification, being governor in this sense is all about the events you're running and nothing to do with palace policies and island tinkering? Or are they also considered but with significantly less weight?

Aye.
Tha' got me confuzzled.

If yer an Alt in the OM run flag, do ye still run the entire Island?
Atherion of Sage.
SO in Masquerade.
Idiot of the Flag: Infallable Quintessence.
-----------------------------------
Emerson wrote: 
I raised holy hell on that guy.

Adjective wrote: 
Don't quote me.

[Sep 18, 2006 1:08:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/disturbedrockerkid [Link]  Go to top 
cool4052

For far too long, the ocean has been calm.

Hades, Lord of the Underworld grows restless. He hungers for conflict, for the scent of gunpowder, and the delicious sound of ships glub-glubbing as they sink to the ocean floor. Hades wants war. And he wants you to be the one to start it.

He's taken advantage of the much beloved Amphitrite's absence, and now the flags of Death's Banner can be seen flying over Descartes Isle. He's willing to install you as governor, if only you'll do his bidding.

Hades doesnt realy care =/. Ares is the god of war.
[Sep 18, 2006 2:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Trust me, read the links Bia posted, they will make you see the light. Er, darkness.

PM soon to follow. I'm going to turn Sage into the first red ocean with all the blood of the innocent that will be spilled. There will be blockades. There will be war. And there will be fun.

Des,

I <3 creative writing/thinking combined with roleplay.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Sep 18, 2006 5:18:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

I'm going to stay out of this...but if anyone needs some event ideas, I'll be happy to share a few I came up with :p

Apollo wrote: 

[Sep 18, 2006 7:16:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Saint_Death

I wrote: 
Can the island be given away in an event somewhere close to January 5th or will the ringers regain control of it?

Bia wrote: 
Now the event has come to the Sage Ocean, but there are some differences. The island is currently Ringer controlled, but will become the event island for the duration of three months. After that (as a change from previous seasons) Descartes will be open to blockades.

I know this'll sound stupid, but "yes"?
mcfunky wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Saint_Death at Sep 19, 2006 8:10:17 AM]
[Sep 19, 2006 8:10:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

Sage gets two large islands within four months, wow.
Don't pave me, please!

[Sep 19, 2006 1:30:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

Trust me, read the links Bia posted, they will make you see the light. Er, darkness.

PM soon to follow. I'm going to turn Sage into the first red ocean with all the blood of the innocent that will be spilled. There will be blockades. There will be war. And there will be fun.

Des,

Des for president!
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[Sep 19, 2006 1:39:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RODONDO

WHERE DO WE SEND IN THE DRAFTS?

Hotsarahyar FO from Lunchie's Angles in the Cobalt
[Sep 19, 2006 6:03:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
piesailor111

Des,

Des for president!

Aye, i think Desmagicus would be a very good Governor for Descartes, for one, he and Descartes have the same nickname, Des! Second, hes a nice guy. And third, im brown-nosing him so i can be an owner of a stall or sumthin.

P.S. can the governor do that? make other people owners of major stalls and/or bazzars?

Oceanus says, "Booo Kirby stinks!"
Kirbyzepimp draws his Falchion."

Kirbyzepimp-OIT in "Siren's Song"

Click me, you know you want to
[Edit 1 times, last edit by piesailor111 at Sep 19, 2006 7:19:38 PM]
[Sep 19, 2006 7:19:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rowlling

Ok so does this mean that i could use the poe from the palace to fund the events ?
Or could i even take the poe for my self if i become governor ?
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rowlling at Sep 20, 2006 2:15:57 AM]
[Sep 20, 2006 2:04:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leuce

To those who seem to have missed the part in the initial post, your entries are to be PM'd to me. Leuce. Just hit that little PM button at the bottom of my post.

Regarding events vs. policies, they're intertwined. Or could be. As governor, you control the tax slider as well as commodities bought and sold by the palace. You will also hold the deeds to the main bazaar and/or housing buildings. Your plan can involve other pirates holding these deeds, but it needs to be done with the understanding that once the island is out of your control, the deeds will automagically zip out of their inventory and over to the new governor. Establishing new buildings on the island is within the realm of your control as well, and certainly something to think about for your plans.

The events can be in-game or via the forum, and since so many past proposals have included events as part of the governor's term, we've just called it out as a specific requirement. While we have said that automated tournaments do not count towards the "events requirement", it may be possible to get some sort of OM support (such as trinket prizes) for these types of tournaments. Having an event to give away the island to end your reign as governor could be an option, depending on the event proposed. Just convince us with your entry.

You can certainly use the money you get from taxes to fund your events. Taking the PoE for yourself would certainly be evil, but not something we want you to do. Abusing the governor's position to personally profit is a bad, bad idea.

About the whole War component, I'm noticing a trend in the proposals that have already been submitted. Seems a few of you have it in for the goody-goody OMs, and the Ringer controlled islands. Please don't feel you have to limit yourself to that. Consider going after player-controlled flags or islands. Chances are they'll be out sailing more often, which means more sinking, which means a happier Hades.

I've tried to answer all of the questions so far that I've received, either in this thread or via PM. Unless it's super-secret, please continue to ask questions in this thread so that others can benefit from the answers. If you have already sent in your entry, and after reading these answers feel the need to revamp your proposal, that's fine. Send another PM, and I will consider the later message to be your entry.
[Sep 20, 2006 12:42:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Saint_Death

Is the winner's governing plan going to be made public?

If so, could we add [secret] tags or something like that to indicate what should be hidden from the eyes of public and is going to be a surprise?
mcfunky wrote: 

[Sep 21, 2006 10:18:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mandoa

wow! heh well interesting fact but hades governor don't look good to me! If I meen, well , erm if this is gonna prevent, i don't understand why its an event.. ^^
Anyway good luck :P
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4161/piratesgf2.png
[Sep 22, 2006 2:31:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Appropriate avatar ++

Apollo wrote: 

[Sep 22, 2006 3:50:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fanatic12345

Mine's better :P

Nah, everyone's Avatar rocks, Even Leuce's Avvie.

Yes, that was sarcasm.
Atherion of Sage.
SO in Masquerade.
Emerson wrote: 

Adjective wrote: 
Don't quote me.

[Sep 22, 2006 7:49:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/disturbedrockerkid [Link]  Go to top 
Leuce

Is the winner's governing plan going to be made public?

If so, could we add [secret] tags or something like that to indicate what should be hidden from the eyes of public and is going to be a surprise?

I see no reason why I would post the plan. As you suggest, it takes away from the surprise factor. We'll announce the governor, and let them lay out their plan at their own pace.
[Sep 23, 2006 6:37:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Boring_stuf0

Des,

:P you'll probably get the position, my entry was pretty lousy. I realize Im kissing up etc, but whatever....

btw...Des (If I may call you that) leave a shop open to me would ya? *biggest hint hint nudge nudge ever*Temari<-pirate name
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Boring_stuf0 at Sep 23, 2006 6:38:58 PM]
[Sep 23, 2006 6:37:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RODONDO

HOW DO WE ENTER?
Hotsarahyar FO from Lunchie's Angles in the Cobalt
[Sep 25, 2006 4:43:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

You've already lost.
Don't pave me, please!

[Sep 25, 2006 5:09:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
Fanatic12345

You've already lost.

I second that.

If you've read the first post, and then asked that question, you deserve to be shot with a Large Cannon.
Atherion of Sage.
SO in Masquerade.
Emerson wrote: 

Adjective wrote: 
Don't quote me.

[Sep 25, 2006 6:07:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/disturbedrockerkid [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 56   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates