• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 85
Posts: 85   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17362 times and has 84 replies Next Thread
ScaryMuffin

Re: Sage: FACTIONS -- Crazy fun or just crazy? Reply to this Post

For splitting of the forces, I think it'll be best if we do it the way you described, where the faction can decide where to retreat the remaining defending forces.

For ko-attacks, I was thinking perhaps in percentages whereas if you lose 2 ship out of 100, that's 2% while if you lose 1 ship out of 1, that's 100%.

The reason why ko-attacks may seem unfeasible is because we're imagining everything in large scale. In reality, I'm have a strong assumption that sloops will rarely be sunk, and thus, the entire game may be played with just 50 sloop tokens in total for every faction, meaning the starting number will be low as well. This is good...since 50 sloops still require 300 jobbers to fill. Most likely a maximum of 25 sloops will ever be filled since these aren't going to be highly anticipated blockades.

As for pulling out, one side should always have at least a few ships on the board to show that they are contending. Should it be deemed that they're pulling out, they automatically lose the engagement.

And as for a single sloop slowing down a giant fleet...maybe they're cautious and think that the one sloop is just the tip of the iceberg :p As unlikely as it would be, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a single WB try and stop an incoming armada while the rest of the ships are handling something else. Remember, whether originally intended to be a defense or offense, the winner of the ko-attack will have control of the route and can attack along it the next turn. This is in response to Tiberyus's ABC scenario as I believe he was thinking that the defender could not attack along the route the next turn and only prevent an attack on themselves?

To be honest, such decisions on engagements are hard to make without first knowing how many sloop tokens we'll be dealing with. I'm going to find some people to have exhibition matches...
First round: Sloop/cutter and 1 WB for both sides for flag points
Second round: Sloop/cutter pure sinking
Third round: Sloop/cutter and 1 WB for both sides pure sinking

Anyone know some flags that would be interested? Perhaps to practice with allies as a show of force, or to settle a dispute with a warring flag?

Finally, I'm still skeptical on how much this will pick up. Once titans, krakens and the like start popping up, I can see this being pushed to the side lines :(
----------------------------------------
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Sep 20, 2006 10:48:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiberyus

This is in response to Tiberyus's ABC scenario as I believe he was thinking that the defender could not attack along the route the next turn and only prevent an attack on themselves?

Um.... Missunderstood me.

What I'm trying to say is:

EXAMPLE:

The Pretty Pinks control all Tern while the Big Blues control all Gull.

Last turn, Big Blues successfully took over the Morannon, using the situation of PP using all their sloops to attack Grumbling Green ( controling all Pelican) on Descartes.
For sake of simplicity, all factions have 100 sloops and a WB now

Since only the faction attacking and SM really know who is attacking what because of PM usage, nothing can't be known for sure. However, PP is sure that Ashkelon will be attacked next turn with fair amount of force. Since they're trying to get over Cook, which is real important for them for wtvr reason is, they plan to be using most of their fleet there. However, they still want to have Ashkelon for this round

COMPARE:
A) Your way of ko-attack rules:
They can easily get out of sticky situation by sending one sloop to Morannon and losing the battle (this will not result in loss of island, only that they will be unable to ko-attack again next turn because of BB having control of the route).
What is real important to note: There's no reason why PP shouldn't ko-attack.
He loses 1 sloop, but he gets 1 ore turn in which he keeps island + maybe helps himself off from bigger losses if he tried defending.
What I'm saying is - Tell me a good reason why shouldn't I attack every nearby oponent's island with 1 sloop in case he's going to attack? I keep my islands longer, I don't have to defend - more tokens for attacking
B) My way of ko-attack rules:
They can't beat 2 opponents at the same time, cause he would have to divide his remaining from attackign Cook fleet into 2 - defending Ashkelon and ko-attacking. If he managed to win 1 of battles (probably ko-attack), I really doubt if it would be done with bigger blockade points difference than he lost at the other battle. So he loses his island.
This makes ko-attack only worth doing if you actually intend to focus your fleet on it and attack to that side. It's hard to be used for defencive purposes, or to get away from really obvious fleet size disadvantage. + it doesn't stall the opponent attacking you - making him get route 1 turn and island the other 1.

END OF EXAMPLE

Am I clear now?
Tiberyus, in a crew on an ocean

people are harsh on ypp

[Sep 20, 2006 1:01:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

I still prefer to keep my version of the ko-attack simply because it means less blockading for the same island(s) and also because pure-sinking blockades are really fun.

The easiest solution in my mind would be to say that, if one ko-attacking fleet is less than half of the other ko-attacking fleet then the faction with the larger fleet will proceed to attack the other faction.

Again, it depends on the size of the fleets everyone has. If a faction is under attack at 3 fronts and is attacking outwards somewhere else and everyone is only playing with 25 tokens in total, losing those 3 slooops and control of the route every other turn is going to hurt them and their attack effort.

Apollo wrote: 

[Sep 20, 2006 1:57:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Fun, but far, far too complicated. Sorry mate, I don't think this one will work out. =/
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Sep 20, 2006 3:47:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Fun, but far, far too complicated. Sorry mate, I don't think this one will work out. =/

Well...that's that. If Des says so, it must be true

It was a good run while it lasted guys...

WAITASMELLYSOCKINGMINUTEHERE!!11!eleventy

~_^ I've, too, have almost passed up the idea, but it's not bad in concept and so far, with the help of others, we've managed to move the idea from the train wreck that it was in my first post to something more viable and feasible. There are still many options and many tweaks that we can do. The end product may not even be recognizable from what we have right now. If nothing, we're having fun talking about it.

Currently development goals:
1. Test sloop/cutter blockades
2. Simplify rules
3. Finalize on ko-attack rules
4. Increase number of objectives

Des, you're awesome for reading everything posted here so far and I admire you for keeping your sanity thus far. I know the game is complicated, but RISK is marked with intermediate-hard instructions for a reason. I would very much love it, if you would join our circle of hell and help us smooth out the rough patches.

Apollo wrote: 

[Sep 20, 2006 4:08:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

I may have the rather interesting ability to analyze a large amount of material and retain my sanity, but can that be said for the general populace of Sage? That's the question.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Sep 20, 2006 5:00:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiberyus

I still prefer to keep my version of the ko-attack simply because it means less blockading for the same island(s) and also because pure-sinking blockades are really fun.

Wrong!

At least for the 'less blockades on same island' part.

On your version it gets 2 battles, 1 for route and if defender fails it, another for island next turn. So it's 2!

My way also requires 2 battles, only that it will be done at same turn, not like in yours.

+ my way hasn't got an exploit of 'I attack every bordered enemy island with 1 sloop in case he attacks me'.

Contraargument me, and contraargument me with serious examples, and reasons why your way is better than mine (without the 'sinking > flagsitting' one), Muffinman

people are harsh on ypp

[Sep 21, 2006 12:20:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

:p So frank.

I've already replied to the "attacking with 1 sloop everywhere" point by stating that perhaps we can say that if the smaller fleet is not more than half of the opposing fleet, then the larger fleet's attack will stand. We can even implement some sort of punishment to the smaller fleet if you want.

Again, situations and technicalities will change depending on how many tokens we'll have each factions start with. If the game is played with only 10 sloops, a single sloop is very important and cannot be thrown around like that.

Next, the number of blockades occuring is counted per turn. Though my method does have two blockades, the second one is optional. In yours, both are not only optional, but crucial due to the fact that a faction can lose their island. I expect that we'll have plenty of front line skirmishes and if we had to have two blockades to decide each, a single turn will last 3 weeks in order for all the blockades to be completed. Not only is this time consuming, it's not fun. At the very least, moving quickly from one turn to the next, will give the semblance that something is being done and gives purpose to each turn, hopefully keeping the game exciting.

Example:
We have 5 factions: the Red Rum Runners, Blue Blasters, Yellow Submarines, Good Gamers and Violent in Violet.

Let's say Blue and Yellow share a strong alliance but are stuck in Pelican and Osprey. None of the other factions need to have an alliance because they're not really touching each other. Red is in stork, Violet in Ibis and Green has south Gull and Tern.

Yellow is suffering pressure from Red and Violet at Scurvy and Gauntlet while Blue cannot afford to be sympathetic, as they're sharing similar attacks from Green at Descartes and Violet at Ventress. Red and Violet trade off light attacks at Anchoraggio and Hoarfrost, trying to take the resource islands while also trying to be the first to eliminate Yellow and reap the benefits.

In this situation, we can see 5 ko-attacks. Following your method, we'll need at least 10 blockade rounds to determine the outcome of the turn and probably 10 rounds every turn afterwards, my way will be 5 and with a chance for 5 more the next turn. I don't know if you've ever done several 5 round blockades back to back, but it's not fun. Sticking with 3 rounds is better and sometimes even asking for more than 1 blockade a weekend is awful. With only 5 rounds of outcomes to be determined, we can do a 3 rounder at Halley and 2 rounds at Cromwell. At the longest, the turn will be decided within a maximum of two weeks following my way. Following your way, it'll definitely take two, if not four weeks to determine a turn. That's a whole month for just one turn.

When looked at this way, you can see that 2 blockades for every front line dispute will kill people with blockade overdose and really turn people off from the game.

Apollo wrote: 

[Sep 21, 2006 12:40:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

Since i was away, i have came up with great ideas, plus im going to add some suggestions

I defintely prefer PMs and the revealing of all the moves at once over the action/reaction method that makes up the intent method...besides that's WAY to much like YPP politics :p The reason why PMs are preferred is so that a faction cannot suddenly decide to return an attack declaration once they find out that their island is being targetted. They'll have to stick to whatever they PMed the SeaMaster at the start of the turn.

i suggest we think this over a bit more, one person holding all this information might be a bit overkill.

Lets say we get for each Faction a Faction Taskmaster. (this can be any of us)

They will be required to post the moves, and how many sloops are lost during a blocade, maybe not the counting sloops, but if each Faction Taskmaster holds their moves and the count of sloop tockens used they can pervent any cheating.

Now it doesnt matter if the moves are posted in a thread, since they are persented in Risk openly anyway. Also this gives us a defender advantage, since theyll be told of this attack. I say we need like a 24 hour notice before the Blocade starts, to give everyone time to discuss what theyll do about it. Then itll be posted as a Blocade on the in-game notice board.

2. To get jobbers for this event, i came up with a fun, and creative idea.

If we can get a large amount of ribbions, we can give each jobber once they board, a Faction Badge. Just like a skellie head but its for Factions.

This is how the Badges work

Times jobbed for the Faction Blocade

1 time= Faction Person Badge
2 times= Faction Pirate Badge
3 times= Faction Officer Badge
4 times= Faction Fleet Officer Badge
5 times= Faction Senior Officer Badge
6 times= Faction Captain Badge
7 times= Faction Admiral Badge
8 times= Faction Admiral Commander
9 times= Any trinket
etc.. = Clothes
= Swords
After 9 times, theyll be reward stuff just like in the navy, to make it cool, maybe we can just have clothes given, and have them in the colour of the Faction.

Now maybe this idea will be garbage right away, but if we get the Roster of everyone partisapating in the Blocade, from the Captains of the sloops, and WBs entering the Blocade it can still work.

3. If your still wondering the average number of sloops sunk in a blocade i can answer that in a sec. Cause in Viridian my flag entered an Sloop Blocade event. Give me a bit to get the info, or just log on to Viridian, and ask the 2 Main Flag winners, who prob used the most sloops, Eclipes, New World Order.

I would give example cause i know u all love them so much, but i dont have any examples to give.
Little Tibby
[Sep 22, 2006 4:17:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

The number of sinks that will occur will be a bit different depending on the scenario. I can almost say for certain that there will be more sloops sunk when it is a pure-sinking type blockade versus one for flag points.

I can see where you're going with the faction taskmasters and prizes but I'm not sure if the OMs will support all those prizes. As for the taskmasters...there is a general trend towards moving away from Risk and towards the game diplomacy.

Speaking of Diplomacy, if anyone were to seriously run this, I'm beginning to think that Akerasi's original post on the game will work the best. I originally turned it down because of two reasons: 1. Very little blockades and 2. The action is focused mostly out of the game and among a few people.

But now considering everything, perhaps those two things are not really a detriment to the idea but a plus instead. Hear me out on this one, because it'll drastically change the direction we're taking this.

Faction leaders will be the players of this game, the majority of the action will take place on an image board on a forum somewhere. Just like diplomacy and just like Akerasi said, everyone will negotiate, promise, lie and threat and then PM their moves to a Game Master, who will reveal all the moves at once. Of course, the moves will be either to hold, support or attack.

For the Sage Ocean, as only a few islands are clustered close together, it may be better to adopt a risk style of unit counting and allow more than one on each island...we'll have to see.

Now essentially, this is just like playing a board game on a forum. The only difference is that when we have fairly even fleets clashing, the outcome of the battle will be determined by a one round event blockade. Hopefully this will mean we'll get a nice blockade once a month only, which is a good amount.

What are the benefits of this way of play?
1. Less players, since the faction leaders are basically playing a board game. Those doing the event blockade will have to be persuaded by the faction leader somehow to help him/her out.
-1a. This follows that we can give better prizes to the smaller groups of people
-1b. As well, it'll be alright to have a bit more complicated rules since there are less people to worry about confusing. We'll only need to explain things a few times before everyone gets it

2. Easier to handle for the event runner. There are less things to plan, the whole event would be cheaper as well. Hopefully the event will also run faster this way.

3. Moderate amount of blockades. Hopefully the blockades will occur often enough to fill the void between major, serious blockades without bordering overkill.

4. Still main the Risk/Diplomacy feel. We can still twist in many elements from various games, using resource islands, capitals, flag ships, etc. Many of the things we discussed before we can still use.

I dunno, insofar the ideas that we've discussed is great to talk about it, but it's true. It's impossible to actually run it. In order to actually be able to do it, we'll have to downsize the event to something like this. Something that is more focused and feasible. What do you guys think?

Apollo wrote: 

[Sep 22, 2006 11:20:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akerasi

The number of sinks that will occur will be a bit different depending on the scenario. I can almost say for certain that there will be more sloops sunk when it is a pure-sinking type blockade versus one for flag points.

I can see where you're going with the faction taskmasters and prizes but I'm not sure if the OMs will support all those prizes. As for the taskmasters...there is a general trend towards moving away from Risk and towards the game diplomacy.

Speaking of Diplomacy, if anyone were to seriously run this, I'm beginning to think that Akerasi's original post on the game will work the best. I originally turned it down because of two reasons: 1. Very little blockades and 2. The action is focused mostly out of the game and among a few people.

But now considering everything, perhaps those two things are not really a detriment to the idea but a plus instead. Hear me out on this one, because it'll drastically change the direction we're taking this.

Faction leaders will be the players of this game, the majority of the action will take place on an image board on a forum somewhere. Just like diplomacy and just like Akerasi said, everyone will negotiate, promise, lie and threat and then PM their moves to a Game Master, who will reveal all the moves at once. Of course, the moves will be either to hold, support or attack.

For the Sage Ocean, as only a few islands are clustered close together, it may be better to adopt a risk style of unit counting and allow more than one on each island...we'll have to see.

Now essentially, this is just like playing a board game on a forum. The only difference is that when we have fairly even fleets clashing, the outcome of the battle will be determined by a one round event blockade. Hopefully this will mean we'll get a nice blockade once a month only, which is a good amount.

What are the benefits of this way of play?
1. Less players, since the faction leaders are basically playing a board game. Those doing the event blockade will have to be persuaded by the faction leader somehow to help him/her out.
-1a. This follows that we can give better prizes to the smaller groups of people
-1b. As well, it'll be alright to have a bit more complicated rules since there are less people to worry about confusing. We'll only need to explain things a few times before everyone gets it

2. Easier to handle for the event runner. There are less things to plan, the whole event would be cheaper as well. Hopefully the event will also run faster this way.

3. Moderate amount of blockades. Hopefully the blockades will occur often enough to fill the void between major, serious blockades without bordering overkill.

4. Still main the Risk/Diplomacy feel. We can still twist in many elements from various games, using resource islands, capitals, flag ships, etc. Many of the things we discussed before we can still use.

I dunno, insofar the ideas that we've discussed is great to talk about it, but it's true. It's impossible to actually run it. In order to actually be able to do it, we'll have to downsize the event to something like this. Something that is more focused and feasible. What do you guys think?

Well, I'm glad you liked my original "Factions-Diplomacy" ruleset, and would be very willing to run it. The main ways to scale it, both up AND down, would be

1. Speed of turns. We could/should be seeing one or two one-round events every weekend, at least, as we can do the other turns faster if not "lagged" by battles needing to be done.

2. Size of a "fleet". In Diplomacy, it's never said how big a Fleet is. I figure something sort of small, so we could have at least 6 fleets possible to field in a given battle (the theoretical max at the worst choke points is 6, IIRC... worst case 5 on one side 1 on another, but that'd probably never happen), and yet big enough where 1 Fleet vs. 1 Fleet is fun. The main problem I have with it is the lack of a problem with sinking, so perhaps introduce a new rule... If a fleet loses "half its strength + 1", where ships are worth more due to larger size, that fleet is Routed, and it is destroyed, although the next supply stage is still calculated normally (I.E. they get a new fleet if they didn't lose any resource islands).

3. Do we bother with 2 fleets vs. 1 fleet with a blockade, or do we just say "2 fleets > 1 fleet"? My thought is to do the blockade, because more blockades are fun, and with good players it is possible to win with a smaller force.

Well, those are the obviously-biased thoughts of the guy who thought up the Diplomacy-style rulesset... I want to hear from the rest of you who comment on this ;).

As another thought, if it goes off well, we could even run it multiple times... each run-through would take between 2 and 4 months though.
Akerasi, Captain of the PFRC, Sage Ocean
Seido, Mercenary for hire, Sage Ocean
Citizen of Arakoua Island and the keeper of Arakoua's Destiny
[Sep 22, 2006 1:04:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiberyus

Hear me out on this one, because it'll drastically change the direction we're taking this.

aww....
/e was so up for making something RISK style

Well, as you put it that waym it will be easier to run, but not so big event, which will doubtly take attention of all ocean.

/e needs to get familiar with basic rules of the game. Any chance someone could brief me on that?.. Muffinman?

/e rewrites his idea generating algorythm to meet new point of view on this project...

people are harsh on ypp

[Sep 22, 2006 1:21:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akerasi

Hear me out on this one, because it'll drastically change the direction we're taking this.

aww....
/e was so up for making something RISK style

Well, as you put it that waym it will be easier to run, but not so big event, which will doubtly take attention of all ocean.

/e needs to get familiar with basic rules of the game. Any chance someone could brief me on that?.. Muffinman?

/e rewrites his idea generating algorythm to meet new point of view on this project...

Read my earlier post, and if you're interested in its basis, Diplomacy, this is a good link to find all things Diplomacy.
[Sep 22, 2006 1:49:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

And I'll state right now that I'm most likely not going to be the one to run this event :) But I'll definitely support and help with its running. I have a personally policy not to run events that weren't originally my idea and also...I'm currently a bit too busy for something as time consuming as this. So if you liked taking it in one direction, I'm not going to stop you :p Just technically speaking, I feel that one way may be more feasible than another.

As for prizes and the scale/scope of the event, one can always put this on the backburner and start from smaller events...lord knows how long my first event idea has been postponed...since November 2005 and I'm still pushing it back...maybe to Feb or March of next year :p

Apollo wrote: 

[Sep 22, 2006 1:58:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akerasi

Mind the bump.

Now that we have Governor-initiated Event blockades, this event becomes a LOT more possible and appealing. I wish to run it if there's interest... any takers?
[Oct 17, 2006 3:28:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

I'll be interested in participating :) Are we going with the solo version where most of the action is away from the game but on occassion we'll have to rally hearties and flagmates for a 1 round show down?

Apollo wrote: 

[Oct 17, 2006 3:37:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akerasi

Exactly. Think of it as an OCL for Blockaders. I'm thinking I might even have a prize for the winning faction head, a renamed sloop or something...
[Oct 17, 2006 9:40:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

hey u know im always in :P
Little Tibby
[Oct 19, 2006 4:16:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

Exactly. Think of it as an OCL for Blockaders. I'm thinking I might even have a prize for the winning faction head, a renamed sloop or something...

hmm, intresting maybe work with it a little, since the ideas very workable now.
Little Tibby
[Oct 19, 2006 4:17:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

we are now able to use Kasidim Island for this event
Little Tibby
[Oct 19, 2006 5:48:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheBeaver

Please use the edit post button.
[Oct 19, 2006 5:50:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

do i have too :(
Little Tibby
[Oct 19, 2006 5:56:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

Yes
Don't pave me, please!
For real this time wrote: 
but I shall no longer take any active part in the game, on any ocean.

Join the local PPA - Puzzle Pirates Anonymous, coming to a town near you!
[Oct 20, 2006 2:49:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

lol
Little Tibby
[Oct 20, 2006 4:21:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akerasi

I already have access to use Ashkelon Arch for this event, actually... but Kasidim as well might be useful.
[Oct 20, 2006 11:34:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 85   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates