• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 166
Posts: 166   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 45718 times and has 165 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Dead Letter Office creative contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED! Reply to this Post

To see the winners listed, click here!

We're getting close to the deadline!
Please check your entries to ensure that they meet the instructions (see below). Note particularly the information that you must provide, and that the maximum number of entries per player is TWO. I reserve the right to disqualify any player who does not meet the entry instructions.

Dead Letter Office

Letters get lost, misplaced, altered, mistyped. Some letter changes, intentional or otherwise, can create very amusing images in our heads, and I'd like to see some of them!

Deadline for entries
11:59pm PDT Saturday 7th October

The Basic Instructions

* Take a sensible phrase that relates to the game in some way.
* Remove one letter OR change one letter OR add one letter.
* The altered phrase must still consist of real words.
* Illustrate it - create a picture with the altered phrase as the caption.
* Post your entry in the entry thread following the submission instructions given below.

Let's do some examples.

I start with the phrase: "Look! My very first pirate ship!"
I remove a letter: "Look! My very first irate ship!"
I then draw a picture (perhaps a picture of the Angry Cod sloop with irate face) with the new phrase as the caption to the picture, or in a speech bubble from the owner.

Or

I start with the phrase: Apollo handed out far too many bans last night.
I add a letter: Apollo handed out far too many beans last night.
I draw a picture (mad OM standing on the docks with crates of beans doing trade requests with passing pirates) and add the new phrase as the caption.

Or

I start with the phrase: "Good shot, Apollo!"
I change a letter: "Good sh-
Actually, that brings me to another rule.

No profanity or offensive content, please. That's offensive content in terms of the language used, and in terms of your references to other pirates, crews or flags. I would probably let you get away with mild language in your original phrase, but none in the altered phrase, please.

Can we switch the order of two letters, or change more than one letter, Apollo?
No! No, you can't! Switching the order of two letters is preposterous! Removing or adding more than one letter is outrageous! Mixing the letter changes is right out!

Can we enter more than once?
Ah, why not. Each player may submit TWO entries at most. Please use a single post, though, for your two entries, rather than adding a new one.

Can we use screenshots or game art?
Yes. Original art is preferred, but feel free to borrow game art or clip art from elsewhere if you don't think you can do justice to your phrase with your own artistic talents!

Can we change punctuation as well as one letter?
No.

Submission instructions

Submissions will be made to the entry thread in the Mariner's Muse.

Your post should include the following information.

Pirate name
Ocean name
Your original phrase
Your altered phrase
Then your picture - please keep it a reasonable size, and if it isn't, include a thumbnail of it plus a link to the picture hosted elsewhere.

I will try to PM people if I cannot view their images. I will PM about (or remove if necessary) images or phrases that are inappropriate to the forum. I will not, however, inform you if your altered phrase is not valid (e.g. if you have changed two letters rather than one). Check this yourself before posting.

I will delete without notification any post in the entry thread that is not an entry, and I will ignore any attempts to send me an entry in a PM or email or by any other means.

Judging

Any entry where more than one letter change has been made between the phrases will be ineligible, and will be removed before judging.

You will be judged on two things.

First, how good your phrase / altered phrase is.
- are both phrases smooth and natural, so that both phrases make sense? (that's making sense as far as the words and phrase structure goes - obviously the final concept described doesn't have to make sense!)
- has the letter change / removal resulted in a significant change of meaning?
- does the concept described by the altered phrase make us laugh?

Second, how good your illustration is.
- how well-executed is the picture?
- how well does it illustrate the caption?

The judges are excellent and upstanding members of the community; they have large shiny brains holding a vast array of information from artistic and literary fields, their comic reactions have been finely calibrated in metric guffaws (the SI unit for online humor), they have had all bias surgically removed, and they can spin straw into gold. In other news, they are human. Please don't be upset if the judging panel have preferences different to your own. *winks*

Prizes

The overall winner will win a parrot in your choice of colors (other than solid black or white).
The winner of "best phrase" will win a tan/color parrot.
The winner of "best illustration" will win a tan/color parrot.
(The overall winner cannot win more than one parrot, so if the overall winner also places top in one of the individual categories, then the second place entry in that category will be awarded the tan/color parrot).

There will also be runner-up prizes in all three categories. Numbers and types of prizes will be decided at the time of judging.

For the "best phrase" judging, if two players use the same phrase, credit for the phrase will go to the player who posts their entry first. If someone else later uses the same phrase as you, then, you may want to avoid editing your post so that we can see that you were first.

All comments and questions should be in this thread.
All entries should be in the entry thread.

Go forth and make fun things for me to chuckle about!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Apollo at Oct 21, 2006 6:15:05 AM]
[Sep 16, 2006 4:23:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Re: Dead Letter Office creative contest - win a parrot! Reply to this Post

Great work!

EDIT: Not an entry.

NinjaEDIT: You're funny. I like you.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Sep 16, 2006 8:19:18 AM]
[Sep 16, 2006 4:54:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
macaroonny

See Entry Thread for details about the event.

Isn't that already the entry thread?
Cocodude is officially dead, presumed missing. Feel free to search for him under other names on Sage though.

(I can't wrench my self away from this game!)
[Sep 16, 2006 5:11:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
weejonnyb

Ooh, fun
Zyxt-sux.
[Sep 16, 2006 5:26:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
macaroonny

Are we allowed to change the punctuation as well as one letter?
Cocodude is officially dead, presumed missing. Feel free to search for him under other names on Sage though.

(I can't wrench my self away from this game!)
[Sep 16, 2006 6:32:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Are we allowed to change the punctuation as well as one letter?
Good question, but no.
[Sep 16, 2006 8:17:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
crazejw

Yay.. another contest to keep us busy!

/e loves Apollo
Joe, from the Emerald Shore
[Sep 16, 2006 8:22:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crosby1

You may have answered this but:

Can you change out a letter like a b in stead of a c or can you only remove or ad a letter.
*Bumpkins*
*SO of NORTHERN LIGHTS
*Princess of NORTHERN LIGHTS*
[Sep 16, 2006 8:57:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crazejw

You may have answered this but:

Can you change out a letter like a b in stead of a c or can you only remove or ad a letter.

* Remove one letter OR change one letter OR add one letter.

[Sep 16, 2006 9:22:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

A photoshoppable contest? Colour me eager!

Now to come up with a second entry. /em eyes the pastry.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Sep 16, 2006 10:09:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Swordholder

The winner of "best phrase" will win a tan/color parrot.

Just wondering..Im not the best artist in the world..In fact Im not at all.

Is it possible to JUST enter phrases or are the pics a must have?
Tombstein-
Just a number
[Sep 16, 2006 11:52:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deathprog23

I love this. Here's where I first found this sort of thing.
"I wanna be like the ocean, no talkin' an' all action." Jane's Addiction, Ocean Size
[Sep 16, 2006 1:14:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.last.fm/user/deathprog23/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Is it possible to JUST enter phrases or are the pics a must have?
An attempt at a picture is an essential component.
[Sep 16, 2006 2:30:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I love this. Here's where I first found this sort of thing.
Hehe, some of those are great. :)
[Sep 16, 2006 2:31:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Hmnn, looks like fun, though seems a bit straightforward and simple to be given a familiar. I'll think about giving it a try though, just because you put a Monty Python reference in there.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Sep 16, 2006 2:43:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Eek I wake up to see this. Love the idea of it

Petition to Apollo.

Your deadline is the same as that for the dolls. I'd bet there are a whole heap of us who want to enter this but we are frantically sewing and pummling and pinning and stuffing and painting and cussing and thinking and sculpting and baking and.....well you get the picture.

Is there any chance you could push the closing date on a week, so we can give due consideration to both.

/me'd love a go at a parrot and do and entry in a fun competition but I want to make as many dolls as I can muster as well.

Oh the pressure the pressure!

Love - Jerze
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Sep 16, 2006 2:56:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crosby1

I thought I would just give this a little try but with in hours my were blown out of the water. I never have the creative (drawing and writing) to win a big Familiar event.( It always seems you need some type of creative exilliance to win a Familiar event.)
*Bumpkins*
*SO of NORTHERN LIGHTS
*Princess of NORTHERN LIGHTS*
[Sep 16, 2006 6:08:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

> * Take a sensible phrase that relates to the game in some way.

Is "Viridian speak" acceptable? After Scupperer and such, I find those "sensable" now, gaah.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 16, 2006 6:25:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Kinocha

> * Take a sensible phrase that relates to the game in some way.

Is "Viridian speak" acceptable? After Scupperer and such, I find those "sensable" now, gaah.

Sorry fir derailing a thread like this, but what is "Viridian Speak"? As one who calls Viridian home, I'm a little confused.
Kinocha, Senior Officer of White Rose under the flag Blood and Roses on Midnight Ocean

Avatar by the amazing Koalarocker
[Sep 17, 2006 4:49:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crazejw

Just a tip for many people. I see a lot of them posting their phrases without images so that nobody "takes claim" to their phrase.

For the "best phrase" judging, if two players use the same phrase, credit for the phrase will go to the player who posts their entry first. If someone else later uses the same phrase as you, then, you may want to avoid editing your post so that we can see that you were first.

From that, I'd say it's better to just make your image and post all at once so you can avoid editing. Posting your phrase gives someone else a shot at stealing it and then posting their phrase and image before you edit in your images.
[Sep 17, 2006 7:27:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Just a tip for many people. I see a lot of them posting their phrases without images so that nobody "takes claim" to their phrase.

From that, I'd say it's better to just make your image and post all at once so you can avoid editing. Posting your phrase gives someone else a shot at stealing it and then posting their phrase and image before you edit in your images.

Well, there're three and a half ways to look at it, I guess.

(1) You post early to get your stake claimed.

(2) You post late so no one takes your idea.

(3) You post the phrase...wait for someone else to use it...then take off of their artistic interpretation.

(4) Don't stress out too much about it. Eat a kiwi and smile.

KP ~ Already eating kiwi's to keep the hounds of stress at bay.
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Sep 17, 2006 7:49:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fiddlesticks

If you are hosting your entry on a server that allows overwriting of files and keeping the same name. A way to do this would be to put your "claimed" phrase on an image and then post that image along with the phrasing in the entry thread. So once you're finished with your image, you just overwrite that image on the server hosting your entry and you wouldn't need to edit your post as the image would be changed on overwrite and you can see the change by reloading the entry page.
Muffy's Princess
Idol on all oceans
Idol says, "That's why you love me"
Muffbeard says, "nope, I love you because there is no one else like you and I can't imagine not having you in my life =)"
[Sep 17, 2006 10:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChuckRalls

I struggled to get my thumbs to post....after 4 attempts I gave up. I hope that a link to the image will be acceptable. If this will eliminate me from winning please let me know so that I can keep trying, otherwise please just follow the link to see my image hosted elsewhere.

Thanks
I am a hornitoad, I am a hornitoad, I am a hornitoad...
Opps won't happen again
[Sep 17, 2006 1:28:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

This petition has been resolved by an OceanMaster.

Category: Other
Subject: Petition to Apollo

Description: Your deadline is the same as that for the dolls. I'd bet there are a whole heap of us who want to enter this but we are frantically sewing and pummling and pinning and stuffing and painting and cussing and thinking and sculpting and baking and.....well you get the picture.

Is there any chance you could push the closing date on a week, so we can give due consideration to both.

/me'd love a go at a parrot and do and entry in a fun competition but I want to make as many dolls as I can muster as well.
Response: I'm enjoying the entries so far very much. I reckon I could manage an extra week of 'em. But only because it's you asking, Jerze. Deadline is now 7th October.
[Sep 17, 2006 2:14:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Apollo wrote:

Response: I'm enjoying the entries so far very much. I reckon I could manage an extra week of 'em. But only because it's you asking, Jerze. Deadline is now 7th October.

/me swoons. My hero.

Thanks Apollo - that's great. And yes the entries so far are wonderful fun.

/me goes back to wrestling with sculpey....
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Sep 17, 2006 4:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Whee! That was a lot of fun to think up of and make, thanks for the opportunity. Lot of good ideas and funny artwork so far, hope there will be more to come. Good luck everyone!
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Sep 17, 2006 6:06:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dionyza

When ye say "same phrase" are ye referrin' to the original, unaltered phrase or the newly-created one o' which the arrrtwork would be referrin'? I'd hate to be puttin' alot of work into a drawing only to see that while I was a-sketchin', my original phrase was used by some landlubbin' brigand!

An example t'make things the clearer:

Salty Sally's Very Early Entry is:
"Ahoy, my mate, what lies ahead?"(orig)
"Ahoy, my mate, what Flies ahead?" (altered)

An' I'm lookin' to use:
"Ahoy, my mate, what lies ahead?"(orig)
"Ahoy, my Fate, what lies ahead?" (altered)

Would my later post be disqualified, seein' as we used the same original phrase?

Thank ye kindly fer yer response!
Tortie of Sage

Wait - I mean 'of Emerald'

No? How about Obsidian?
[Sep 18, 2006 8:04:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.iasis.net    dionyzae    dionyzae [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Would my later post be disqualified, seein' as we used the same original phrase?

Thank ye kindly fer yer response!

Two things.
1. The altered phrase is going to be more important than the original phrase in terms of originality.
2. No entry is "disqualified", so no artwork is wasted. My point was that given that there is a prize for the best phrase used, only the first person to use a particular phrase can be eligible to win a prize for the phrase (ignoring artwork). It doesn't stop you getting credit for artwork or for the overall prize.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Sep 18, 2006 8:14:10 AM]
[Sep 18, 2006 8:08:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Another question...for my entry, would you prefer to wear a sombero or a bullfighter's cap?
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Sep 18, 2006 8:51:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sxcKate

Question : Is there any preference of what type of picture you want it
( gif. , JGP. , Bmp.?) It just saves me some time...

Message to scarymuffin : Can i use your avatar in my picture? ( im gonna edit it heheh).
Etak

Cremate tells ye, "I would choose a cheeseburger over you"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sxcKate at Sep 18, 2006 11:39:29 AM]
[Sep 18, 2006 11:35:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 166   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates