• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 3
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1552 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
DonCarnage

puzzle idea - mastermind Reply to this Post

firstly, if the designers already have ideas for new puzzles, disregard this of course.

one puzzle idea is the game of mastermind, which also has a few other names i've seen. basically, there is a hidden 'code' or solution of four pegs/buttons/whatnot that are of a variety of colors - usually four. it is the players goal to guess what these are. this is done by placing four pegs/buttons/whatnot guessing what the solution is. after inputting their guess, the game returns back how many, if any, pegs/buttons/whatnot from the guess are in the puzzle, and how many, if any, pegs/buttons/whatnot are in the correct location. the board usually looks like a grid, and ends up something like this

solution line:
blue red yellow red

player guess 1
blue blue blue blue - returns one peg correct, and in the correct position

player guess two
blue yellow yellow yellow - returns two pegs correct and in the correct position

player guess three
blue yellow red red - returns four pegs correct, two of which are in the correct position

player guess four - blue red yellow red
returns winner.

the game difficulty can vary by adding/removing number of colors or number of pegs, and of course a timer could be involved, although it may help some people by having a puzzle that isn't exactly time-based.

just an idea
----------------------------------------
Not everything I think is something I should say...
[May 14, 2003 5:39:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dnxthx

Yes! Reply to this Post

I agree; this would be a great puzzle. Ursela and I were just talking about Mastermind(TM) and Y!PP the other day (at first, I figured she made the post!)
----------------------------------------
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM
[May 14, 2003 6:09:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Mast-ARRR!-Mind Reply to this Post

Back in the days of plentiful clothes, when nearly every pirate had scores of useless items, I had proposed that we all use our multi-colored bandanas to play MasterMind.

"Uh-oh! The dreaded Black Ship is approaching! What's its safety code today? Quick, you two line up with your fancy bandanas while the rest of us sail away from it." *BOOM* *BOOM* *PFFT* "Two cannonballs and one grapeshot. Trade places, and one of you, put on a tricorne!"

Well, it might be less silly if players need to rig signal flags from different masts. (Put the "Mast" back in "Mast-ARRR!-Mind"!) You can take the fast multi-player approach or the slower approach of sending one person to run back and forth.

Hmm. No, it's just intractably silly to score the game by shooting cannonballs. But a multi-player, timed version of MasterMind might be an interesting game to try out.
[May 18, 2003 1:35:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates