• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 125
Posts: 125   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 53543 times and has 124 replies Next Thread
jdnx429

Puzzle Codename: Loosejaw - Play now! Reply to this Post

Alright, here's another GCPP proposal called Loosejaw:

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Loosejaw

It's a furnishing proposal and it basically involves sliding wood pieces that fall from a conveyor and then nailing them together to create furniture pieces.

edit by CraftingProj:
Game is now playable here:
http://www.freewebs.com/jdnx429/loosejaw.htm
----------------------------------------
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CraftingProj at May 6, 2007 4:28:32 AM]
[Sep 4, 2006 10:39:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

Re: Puzzle Codename: Loosejaw Reply to this Post

Ooh, sliding. It reminds me of Fish Fillets.

The problem I have with it is: why do you need the conveyor process anyway, seeing as players will want to fill up the board in order to maximise their ability to combo?
I took my own advice.
[Sep 5, 2006 1:18:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Also, how does it scale for difficulty? An increase in available wood colours?
[Sep 5, 2006 3:05:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

You could also adjust the frequency distribution of the different lengths. Shorter pieces are easier to work with, but are worth less to build with.

The one thing I would like to suggest is that the bonus pieces seem too easy to use. What do they add to the gameplay? What tough decisions do you need to make? I'd like to see the bonus pieces be these really big, cumbersome pieces that could potentially mess up the patterns you were going for, and without proper planning might even have to be discarded for a penalty.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Sep 5, 2006 6:00:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

why do you need the conveyor process anyway, seeing as players will want to fill up the board in order to maximise their ability to combo?

The conveyor is the system that brings the pieces into the game. It also keeps things moving if the player stalls looking for a piece. I imagine it would behave similar to Distillery - keeping a regular pace but the player would have the ability to advance it by right-clicking.

You could also adjust the frequency distribution of the different lengths. Shorter pieces are easier to work with, but are worth less to build with.

I had originally imagined only the colors and the speed of the of the conveyor would increase but I like the idea of having larger pieces more common.

As for the bonus pieces, I made them small since larger pieces means more surface area and more places to nail them on. Maybe the bonus pieces could be made directional - they can only be nailed on one side or just the top or the bottom?
[Sep 5, 2006 1:39:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Splizwarf

On the note about higher-scoring pieces that cannot be nailed from certain directions, doesn't some furniture have fine finished bits on the outside?

Consider: trim could have three, two, or only one nail-able side. This might allow for a delightful variation in the puzzle's blocky visuals. Trim is perhaps fragile? If it only came in via the top row of the conveyor, then perhaps if later pieces land on it, it is destroyed, so there's incentive to either stop the belt when trim arrives, or get it away to safety.
Retired founding member of Radical Dreamers (Azure, then Midnight).
Actively carving a terrifying steam-powered empire with Sea of Fire (Cobalt).
[Sep 8, 2006 12:32:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
coach12

Sounds very interesting. *Me can't wait until it comes out.* <3
Icepop says, "You take really long showers."
Snowbunny says, "I'm SORRY. I enjoy bathing."
[Sep 10, 2006 8:02:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

I wonder at the need for stopped and started versions of the conveyer. It would then be a case of A) Fill the whole screen up B) Make as many super large combos as possible C) Repeat.

What if the conveyer had two choosable speeds - fast and slow. New players might always keep it on slow so they can move stuff around a lot. Better players would likely turn it on to fast while they're initially filling up the board, and then slow it down while they nail some combos together so new pieces don't mess things up as much. Best players might just play with it on fast all the time.

Combos would then consist of successive pieces nailed together in between sessions of sliding pieces around. The strategy then, becomes how big can I build this combo vs how full is my board getting. The penalty for overfilling the board (having pieces that don't clear a certain line when they drop) might be to have random sets of your largest pieces disappear, or one or two rows of pieces out of the middle of your board, for example.

I agree that the bonuses are a little too bonusy. The idea of something that's delicate that you can use, but can get crushed from above is a good, interesting one. Especially if the crushing could somehow cause a problem (perhaps a crushed piece can't be slid, and only drops towards the bottom of the screen if things are removed from below it?)
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Sep 10, 2006 9:26:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

Ooh! I like the idea of trim that can only be nailed from one direction and can be crushed if another piece of wood is rested on top of it.

I was also considering having the players make combos while the conveyor is running as stated above. I thought this might've been tough to program. However, that could be an option to test out - "Stop conveyor for combos? Yes/No"
[Sep 10, 2006 3:02:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
c_squared01

I like this one!

Stop conveyor for combos? Yes/No

What about this -- the conveyor keeps moving, until you click a big hammer. Then your mouse pointer becomes a big hammer, and you get to make combos until you set the hammer down again, which restarts the conveyor.
Chrisspy
[Sep 11, 2006 11:39:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tirix

*bump*

I feel this is an interesting and mature proposal.

User interface : I guess the mouse is the best choice. We could highlight the wood piece the mouse currently hovers on, and drag to move it. Same for the production mode : click and drag to the piece that should be connected.

Scoring system will have to be completed, but this is not a big issue.
[Sep 25, 2006 9:19:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

I'll be updating this one sometime this week or weekend with scoring and revisions to it. Gotta do some illustrations first.
[Sep 25, 2006 11:03:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRug

On re-reading this, I've got a question: am I correct in reading that you are always nailing groups of three, no more and no less (with the exception of the bonus peice?) If there are four colors, call them A, B, C and D, why wouldn't I just stack A & B on the right, and C & D on the left? The screen seems big enough, and the sliding easy enough, so that I could easily get tons of combos that way.
-Rugsby, formerly of Midnight and now of HunterEmerald

no .sig, no .plan, no .clue
[Sep 25, 2006 2:53:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I'll be updating this one sometime this week or weekend with scoring and revisions to it. Gotta do some illustrations first.

I'm looking forward to seeing the revisions - this one sounds interesting!
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Sep 27, 2006 4:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

Alright, this one has been updated with much more information about scoring and probabilities.

I have removed the stop/go button and now the conveyor continuously drops pieces onto the board.

I considered having fragile trim pieces and upholstery pieces as bonuses, but I just combined the two ideas and turned them into fragile upholstery pieces that can be crushed against the wood pieces.

And as for bringing in pieces from both sides, I originally considered that in my earliest draft of this proposal. However, that didn't work out that well, since you actually need quite a bit of space just in case you have a couple of cantilevered pieces on both sides of the conveyor.

Anyways, take a look at the revision!
[Oct 6, 2006 1:18:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

After rereading the wiki proposal, i'm officially nominating this one. This counts as one vote by a programmer.
[Oct 25, 2006 4:48:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tirix

Am I right that with the new fragile upholstery rules, the green tile shown on image 06 of the scenario would be crushed ?
No need to update it though, if I were you I'd concentrate on coding it now : I also give my GO .

If you need any help on the programming, I'd be happy to give advices, or have a look at the code...

jdnx429 wrote: 
If I apply myself, I think I may be able to code my GCPP Proposal Loosejaw for this competition. I don't think it's insanely complicated but we'll see.....

Beware, you'll have to take into account:
- 2 different actions taking place in parallel (conveyor + user drags), possibly conflicting,
- dropping pieces mechanics, plus pushing, etc.
- 2 modes of action : dragging / nailing

My personal feeling is that this puzzle is more difficult to code than, for example, Knightfish (this is not directed in any way towards Skovran, who did a real nice job, though)

So... I wish you good luck and much fun :)
[Oct 25, 2006 7:16:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

So... I wish you good luck and much fun :)

I'll definitely need the luck!
[Oct 25, 2006 11:28:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

I would like to see this as a playable version and will also vote for it. I believe that should be three.
[Oct 26, 2006 8:44:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
c_squared01

(this is not directed in any way towards Skovran, who did a real nice job, though)

*claps for Skovran, for the prettiness of Knightfish*

Can't wait to see this one in action!

Edit: Misattributed quote
Chrisspy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by c_squared01 at Oct 26, 2006 9:25:04 AM]
[Oct 26, 2006 9:24:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CraftingProj

Three votes! Huzzah!!!!

Waiting for objections (Sunday).
[Oct 26, 2006 9:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CraftingProj

Waiting period has passed. This is GO for coding.

Any volunteers for this team?
[Oct 30, 2006 5:18:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

I volunteer for the design!
[Oct 30, 2006 10:48:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

Ok then. I'll be the artist on this one but for the most part I've already done the artwork for it. We just need a programmer.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jdnx429 at Oct 30, 2006 10:54:40 AM]
[Oct 30, 2006 10:48:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

I'm the progammer, I'm starting to code this one up. I've already set up a few classes and stuff.

Ok, let's review- who's the team?

Artist: jdnx429
Designer: jdxn429
Programmer: jdnx429

How odd, we all have the same name. :P
[Oct 30, 2006 10:50:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I'm the progammer, I'm starting to code this one up. I've already set up a few classes and stuff.

Ok, let's review- who's the team?

Artist: jdnx429
Designer: jdxn429
Programmer: jdnx429

How odd, we all have the same name. :P

ROFL!
[Oct 30, 2006 11:57:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

I'm in the process of setting up everything and trying to learn as much as I can about Java. I think I'm ready to start hard-coding it. I have a rough outline of how the game is supposed to work. I have a few of the basic classes set up but nothing in the way of an overall process. I'm also in the process of figuring out all the Game Gardens stuff. I have the basic framework with the client/server set up.

In a sense, I'm developing this from the inside-out and also from the outside-in, but it's that part in the middle that's the tricky part.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jdnx429 at Nov 2, 2006 11:58:38 PM]
[Nov 2, 2006 11:58:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

If the GameGardens part confuses you too much, I suggest getting a version working that doesn't have any lobby parameters and doesn't have anything in the GameObject (so watchers don't see anything - all the action takes place in BoardView). By the time you have that version working to your satisfaction, I should have another tutorial posted on how to go from *that* stage to one where watchers can see things or at least having the GameManager give permission on moves and record your scores (and pass in lobby parameters).
[Nov 3, 2006 4:17:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

all the action takes place in BoardView

Actually, that is quite helpful! I think I'll focus this weekend on getting the BoardView stuff set up.
[Nov 3, 2006 10:23:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

It's better coding to design from the start for the watchers and the lobby parameters, but for somebody who is doing a first (or even third actually ;-) ) GameGardens game..... most people just don't have a strong enough understanding of distributed objects to design it right the first time.

and for the purposes of deciding whether a game is enjoyable and would make a good crafting puzzle, we don't absolutely require watching ability. we will need the lobby parameters eventually, if nothing more than a difficulty level slider. each of the lobby parameters will probably become a variable in the game object, which the game manager will have to set.
[Nov 3, 2006 10:53:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 125   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates