• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 38
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10315 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
perringer

[Invest] Shop Investment Group, Still dreaming large!

Small Crews, Small Flags, and All Investment Minded Pirates:
[size=16]HEAR ye! HEAR ye!
And Hither Ye all Ye Scurvy Dogs!

The Independent Merchant Shop Investment Consortium
Founded on 19 Nov 2003 at 17:25, IM-SIC has acquired two shops, managed and owned by a growing collaboration between pirates, crews, and flags who share the similar interest of owning shops!

You get out of it what you put into it. Put in more money, you own more of a shop. We've had a few bumps along the way, but we've ironed out things enough where we're ready to expand!

There be rules, but they be fair and simple, so pay attention!

The Shop Fund Account
1. Pitch in your poe towards a shop.
2. You can do this as an individual player, as a crew entity, or as a flag entity. You don't need to join a crew or a flag to participate, though there are benefits to doing so.
3. As long as your money isn't currently committed in a bid or negotiation, you're welcome to pull out at any time; no penalties.
4. A regular e-mail of an Excel spreadsheet showing the current funds is sent to all investors.
5. The Shop Fund Account is where profit splits from the shops are deposited.

Acquiring a Shop
1. When a shop is acquired the total cost of the shop becomes the number of shares for the shop.
2. Whatever your % of POE in the Shop Fund Account, becomes your % of the ownership of the shop.
3. Remaining funds are left in the Shop Fund Account.
4. A new excel spread sheet is created for the shop.
5. Aerosol holds the shop deed until all shares are owned by one pirate/crew/flag.

Managing the Shop
1. Four Managers are assigned by greatest % ownership downwards.
2. The fifth management position is rotated among the smaller investors, monthly, or with a review upon request. (By the 5 managers).
3. Prices, Costs and Policy are set by general agreement among the managers.

Profits, Debts, Share Value
1. A shop costs money to get going. The willing investors loan it to the shop, and receive payback before any profits are split.
2. A minimum amount of POE is kept in the store for restocking - this amount is determined by the managers.
3. Profits are split in sums between 20k and 40k; they are divvied by % ownership, and deposited into the Shop Funds Account. An e-mail specifying the details is sent.
4. The value of the share increases 10% immediately after purchase, based upon the good will of the group.
5. The value of the shares in the shop are evaluated at profit splits; and will increase based upon the frequency and amount of the profits. More details upon request.

Consolidating Shares
1. You are welcome to buy and sell your shares in the shops, but only within the investor's group. No outside parties.
2. Reach an agreement first. Both parties confirm it with Aerosol.
3. The transaction takes place through Aerosol; i.e. - pay Aerosol, Aerosol transfers the shares, Aerosol deposits the money in the Shop Fund Account, and the receiving part can then withdraw the money.

Questions that Have Come Up

Q: I was with a crew/flag in your investment group, and I put a lot of money in, but now I've left them. How do I split my shares from them?
A: You approach your former Captain/Monarch, reach an agreement with them, and have them tell me what to do. IM-SIC has no interest to, authority to, or power to settle differences within the groups pitching in.

Q: I pitched in POE for the shop, but I'm leaving the game - can I reassign my shares? What happens?
A: You can reassign shares to whomever you like within the group. Parties outside IM-SIC will need to be affirmed by the managers of the shop, before we agree to give them your shares. If you need to leave the game and have no one to assign shares to, the shares are split EQUALLY among the shop owners - not by % ownership. This gives the smaller guys an edge up, which is what we're all about.

Q: No one's seen (so&so) for months! And they're sitting on a % ownership of the shop - can we buy them out? What happens?
A: If an investor is still a paying subscriber to the game, yet can't be reached for one reason or another, then 3 months of unreachability is the limit before they can be unwittingly bought out, and it will be put up for vote before the owners of that shop. They can be bought out at the current value of their shares, and the money will be deposited in the Shop Funds Account, to be claimed later. The reason for this is to allow consolidation of shares to occur at a reasonable pace. Their funds will still be available for them, and they may very well be used to acquire another shop if they aren't claimed.

Q: Manager (so&so) goofed, leaving the prices at 1 after an in-shop order. Now some jerk has filled our order que up and wiped our inventory!
A: First, we approach the perpetrator and attempt to resolve the matter amicably. Failing that, we approach an O.M. to help negotiate the issue. If all else fails, the manager is responsible for the value of goods and labor lost.

Q: I'm looking to buy out some people, but no one is accepting my offers? How do I get more
A: With the exception of absenteeism, no one will be forced out of their shares. The best time to buy someone out will be when there is another shop(s) up for purchase - the smaller investors will be looking to increase their share % in the next shops, and the best way to do that is to sell their shares in the other shop(s) to raise more funds. Others will be tired of this or that shop and ready to try another. Otherwise, offer more POE.

Q: What about re-sale of items that our shop doesn't purchase? Or that another one of our shops makes?
A: Well, the first order of business is business. Feel free to buy dirt cheap somewhere else and resell it through our store - but it will not be at a loss to the store. Often, investors get deals on things like cannonballs, move it to one of our stores, and then resell them. Rule of thumb: the store gets 10% of the cut. So if you buy cannonballs at 20, knowing they can sell at 30, then you sell them to the store at a max of 27, and let the store keep the rest. If it's in-between store sales, you will NOT sacrifice the profit at one store for the sake of the other. Some investors differ between our stores, so that's not fair.

Q: What about buying goods at one store for the other store?
A: Nothing wrong with this in most cases; but it's the same as above: profit is profit. If you can get item X cheap at Store A, and ship it to Store B that needs it, Store A gets a 10% cut. I.e.: Store A buys item X for 10poe, then Store B pays 11 POE to Store A.
----------------------------------------
[size=10]Aerosol - Captain, Aeronauts
Visit Ye Independents Forum Page!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Edit 15 times, last edit by perringer at Nov 19, 2003 1:25:58 AM]
[Nov 19, 2003 1:25:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
Ivan256

Re: [Invest] Shop Investment Group, Still dreaming large!

I....

....am not even going to go there.

Excelent idea.
Baldwin - Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under - Midnight ocean

Formerly: Baldwin - Captain of the Blood Brothers, King of Ruby Phoenix.
[Nov 19, 2003 7:25:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barbas

Excellent ideals

Not always easy for them to work though made ;)
-Barbas, Captain and/or officer of every crew you can imagine at one point
[Nov 19, 2003 1:25:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    fullcolapse00 [Link]  Go to top 
54x

You might want to be sure that a crew shouldn't be contributing to a shoppe bid without at least 20% of what's going to be laid down, so that a crew can't contibute to a bid without getting some return.

Also you need a solution for what happens when bid contributions are roughly 50/50.

Other than that, a great ideal, and I applaud you for being the first to attempt it officially. Good luck in matching compatible crews, and helping the small ones to their goals :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 19, 2003 3:26:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

You might want to be sure that a crew shouldn't be contributing to a shoppe bid without at least 20% of what's going to be laid down, so that a crew can't contibute to a bid without getting some return.

Well, it actually all works out in the end; if a crew can't make a 20% share in order to have a manager appointed, they still get their profit cut, and they'll still make a profit when someone else buys out their shares for more ownership in the shop. (And there may be some flexibility in manager appointments, cause we're nice people). This way, it will be doubly easier for them to have a larger share in the next shop; because their money is in an investment, not a savings. Consider the difference between holding on to your 20,000 POE, or buying 40 rubies and making 40,000 POE.

Also you need a solution for what happens when bid contributions are roughly 50/50.

Aerosol acts as tie breaker in all policy decisions. Otherwise, it's just a matter of when, and who can buy the other one out when one wants more control or complete ownership of a shop.

Other than that, a great ideal, and I applaud you for being the first to attempt it officially

Much thanks indeed for the praise :) I do encourage people to take us up on the offer.
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Nov 19, 2003 9:50:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
Arkenor

Sounds like a grand idea. Perhaps we can build a stock-market in Alpha.

In such a venture, I'd say its absolutely vital that you be extremely transparent with regards to the shops finances. Keeping a website regularly updated with values, and share-owners, and such.

What restrictions will there be on those who can buy shares?

Edit: Oops.Just noticed you have to join the flag. Doh. Which I'd have thought somewhat defeats the object of trying to help small crews and flags, seeing as they have to join yours. If they wanted to join another flag, presumably they would have done. Why not allow flagless crews/ monocrew flags to buy shares anyway?
[Nov 19, 2003 10:05:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

What restrictions will there be on those who can buy shares?

You know, I hadn't thought about it that way - since it all boils down to trust, judgement and poe, anyway, I don't suppose it matters whether someone joins up with our flag or not. In fact, it really boils right down to the players.

I think I'll change it to players buy shares, instead of crew, and anyone can join in, and ya don't have to join the flag. I'll work out some more details, edit my first post, and provide a link to the sample page where I'll be posting the information about shares and shop management and such.

Thank you for helping me think outside the box.
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Nov 19, 2003 11:02:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Update on the IM-SIC (Independent Master-Shoppe Investor's Consortium)

Aerosol: 45,889 POE
Darrla: 8,500 POE
Gesualdo: 53,927 POE
Chips Ahoy: 10,000 POE
Crew: Shiver Me Timbers: 52,000 POE
Current Total: 170,216 POE

We placed our bid on the Shipwrights!

Text of bid letter:

Ahoy, Cleaver, a most mighty Dread Ringer!

The exacting Nanonator, titled member of the Flag Independents, S.O. of ye mighty Aeronauts crew, on behalf of the Independent Master-Shoppe Investor's Consortium (IM-SIC), and acting on behalf of the most Socially Anarchistic Monarch and Captain Aerosol, does hereby place a bid upon a Shipwrights Shoppe for the following amount:

-- 170,216 POE --

The amount of which is in full upon the island of Alpha.

We express no preference in any particular island or archipelegio upon which the shoppe may reside, only that it be upon one, and even that is not so important.

Should this amount be unsuccessful, IM-SIC would like to place notice in advance of our interest in renting the shop under the prescribed conditions already set forth (i.e., 25000 for one month of Management).

Thank you and all the Dread Ringers for this mighty fine fun world, as well as this particular opportunity within it.

-Nanonator

We don't expect this to be a winning bid, but ya never know. Also, it may give other people who have been thinking it over more footing to make a decision to join up with us for the next bid this Sunday.
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Nov 20, 2003 11:59:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Yarrrrr! This be the last call for investors for the Apothecary bid! Aerosol will be on-line from 10pm-12pm central standard time, somewhere on Alpha!

Don't be shy, send a tell. If the "getting nowhere" syndrome that a lot have been complaining about is getting to you and yer crew, now's the time to team up without surrendering your autonomy, and have a go at a shop!

Just like last time, the total for the bid won't be made until AFTER the bid has been placed (don't wanna tip off any of the powerhouses).
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Nov 23, 2003 7:59:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Yarrrr! Now this be the last call for investors for the distillery bid this Tuesday, Dec 02! Rules still the same as up above.

I'll be off and on Tuesday afternoon - catch me on-line as Aerosol, or catch Nanonator, or e-mail Aerosol@perringer.com or PM me here. Don't be marooned in the game without a shop! Team up and be a piratey power house!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Dec 1, 2003 10:55:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! The investment group stuck it out to the bitter end against the biggest and the baddest! Even with the "Clinton-esque" rule interpretation at the end there.

I'd like to thank all the rugged pirates, crews, and flags that teamed up to make it possible, and invite yet again those who've been holding back, to join up with us for the next round of auctions; no matter how small your investment - it is still an investment!!!!

Also, with the potential changes coming up in the next round of auctions, it seems there are a couple of rules which need to be added to clarify things. (I've learned my lesson about ambiguous rules.) These aren't set in stone yet, so comments are welcome, even from those not currently participating, and even those who have no intention of participating, before a final decision is reached. The final decision will be made one day before the auction starts.

Rule 12:
Nanonator has determined that there will be an immediate increase in the value of a shops' value by 10% upon obtaining a shop. This is to account for the "good-will" factor involved, and to guarantee a potential immediate return for those investors who do not make the 20% margin to guarantee a management position in the shop (though the 20% is still not completely fixed, yet - some discussion on that would be welcome as well). Therefore, if you put up 10,000 POE and get 10,000 shares in a shop, it will immediately be worth 11,000 POE, and that would be a fair offer to buy you out of the shop - though you're certainly not required to sell it.

Rule 13:
If a shop is acquired for less than the total amount that has been raised, then an equivalent % of your investment will be used so that your % ownership is the same as your investment; the remaining funds will be returned to the general shop purchase fund for the next purchase.

Say, for example, that the fund is 387,490 POE, and you have a 20% stake (77,498 POE) put in. If we get the shop for 250,000 POE, then you will have recieved 50,000 shares (20%), and the rest of your POE, 22,498, will go back into the funds for the next purchase, where you are free to withdraw it, add to it, offer to buy out a smaller stake holder, or just leave it as it is.

Rule 14:
Aerosol will resolve all disputes that occur within the group.

Not that I expect any, because so far, everyone's been incredible, and this has been structured in such a way that everyone will benefit from the venture. However, it's been known to happen, and since I'm taking the greatest reputational risk in this venture, I must take the responsibility as well.

Rule 15:
All exchange of shares between investors will occur through Nanonator.

Obviously, the books must be kept in order.

Well, that's my verbose exchange for today. Hopefully it's not with myself.

/me smiles.
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Dec 4, 2003 6:50:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
Ultracity

I know it's trivial, but I think you mean "Hear Ye" in your first post. I wouldn't point it out if it weren't a giant, bold-faced misspelling, heh.
~Mansfellow
[Dec 4, 2003 7:26:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Argh!

Of course I meant "Here Ye", as in come over here, ye scurvy mutt.
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Dec 4, 2003 7:31:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
54x

We still love you for carrying this idea out anyway, Aerosol. :D
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Dec 4, 2003 11:20:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Ultracity wrote: 
I know it's trivial, but I think you mean "Hear Ye" in your first post. I wouldn't point it out if it weren't a giant, bold-faced misspelling, heh.

Too funny. Every time this thread got bumped up again, I was tempted to say something about that, but decided maybe, just MAYBE, I should stay out of something, for once. I saw it up again, saw that damn "Here Ye", and decided to put an end to the insanity . . . . only to find I was too slow by a day.

perringer wrote: 
Argh!

Of course I meant "Here Ye", as in come over here, ye scurvy mutt.

Then what you want is "Hither Ye," not "Here Ye."

"At" "To" "From"
-----------------------------------
here hither hence
there thither thence
where whither whence

Yeah, yeah, I know.
[Dec 4, 2003 11:43:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

$0 why d0N\'+ y\'@ll ju5+ pU+ 4 9R4d3 n3x+ +0 my P05+5, n0w! 91v3 M3 @ 8r3@k! OMG!!!11!1!1

[size=9]translated into gobbledeegook by: http://beta.stanback.net/leet.php

Amazing how such a simple mistake can stir so many people to action! I should try garbling even more phrases...

Which reminds me: don't go into dark parking lots unless they are well lighted.
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Dec 5, 2003 12:46:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
MKSparrow

Not that amazing, really.
Is it rainning?
[Dec 5, 2003 12:55:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

perringer wrote: 
$0 why d0N\'+ y\'@ll ju5+ pU+ 4 9R4d3 n3x+ +0 my P05+5, n0w! 91v3 M3 @ 8r3@k! OMG!!!11!1!1

B/B-
[Dec 5, 2003 1:00:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
54x

"At" "To" "From"
-----------------------------------
here hither hence
there thither thence
where whither whence

Luckily for us, english has evolved from using the two latter sets of correlatives. I still had to learn the equivilents for german, though :)

/me denies the urge to yell out orders in german...
from Midnight.
[Dec 5, 2003 1:19:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

[quote:310d4e8ae9="Somebody who gets upset when he isn't called DIAMONDBLADE"]Luckily for us, english has evolved from using the two latter sets of correlatives. I still had to learn the equivilents for german, though :) [/quote]

Sorta not true. Part of the Anglophone world (the geeky part) still uses them normally, and they exist semi-fossilized in some phrases and usages, most notably:

"come hither", as in "she gave him a come hither look"
"hither, thither, and yon", meaning "all over the place"
"hence" gets used like "thus / for this reason"
"whence" shows up in "go back (from) whence you came"
[Dec 5, 2003 1:34:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Begads!!!! Meine diskussion ist durch die debatte der grammatikgelehrter ?berlaufen worden!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Dec 5, 2003 1:45:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

perringer wrote: 
Begads!!!! Meine diskussion ist durch die debatte der grammatikgelehrter ?berlaufen worden!

For some reason this amuses me to no end.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Dec 5, 2003 1:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

perringer wrote: 

Ja. Wirklich es macht mir viel Spa?. (Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut . . .)
[Dec 5, 2003 2:23:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Crazy foreigners :P
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Dec 5, 2003 2:27:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Woah, bump me up there! There be auctions proceeding and people who want in!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Dec 13, 2003 12:59:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Sicherlich.

*verbumpt* ;)
from Midnight.
[Dec 14, 2003 3:51:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Yarrr!!!! We hath won an Apothecary! The Doctor's Office... where we shall treat you or dye!!!

I'd like to thank all of the fabulous maties who pitched in and made this possible; the producer, who's crying backstage, and all of the swabbies who help sail us around the seas! Also, thanks to all the big flags who decided not to bid in this auction, as I'm sure you would have squashed us like a bug, if so you chose.

And Yarrrr!!!! We'll be back for more soon enough!!!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Dec 14, 2003 2:36:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Arrrr!!! We're ready for more!!!! So if you feel like no matter how much poe you/yer crew/yer flag earns that yer always only half-way there, join up!!! It's worked once, it'll work again... and again... and again!!!

Ye might get a chuckle or two out of our funny little bids at the beginning of some of these auctions, but soon enough we'll be at the top again; where we belong!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Dec 21, 2003 1:04:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Congrats on the shop. I wish ye the best, and I think this effort is something unique and good for the game. My hat off to ye captain and your fine allies:)
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor
[Dec 21, 2003 1:07:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
perringer

Yarrrr-hooo!!! The time has come again! We'll be blindin ya with our massively large bids that will win us (another) shop!!! It's never too late to join in. But if you want a shot at manager, ye'll have to come up with at leat 100,000 POE, possibly more. However, even smaller investors are welcome as well, as every poe has a return value.

In fact, last week we did a profit split from the Apoth, with an 8% return on initial investment, and we should have another one real soon - and the Apoth's NOT a big money maker!!! And, current investors are already planning to make offers to buy out other's shares for a larger stake in the apoth/and whatever we win next.

Arrrr!!!! Give me a /tell or pm to sign up. Talk to Jabbie, Shuranthae, Bonnielass, Quequeg, or Gesualdo to see if they be pleased or not with how it's doing.
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Jan 2, 2004 6:38:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates