• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 63
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22932 times and has 62 replies Next Thread
smurfsahoy

Max number of free accounts? Reply to this Post

Huh? So now they have a cap on "free"* accounts you can create too?

What is the number limit?
How is it tabulated?
If you create an account and never use it and it disintegrates, does that count, or is it removed from the tally? (I made many accounts to hold names on hunter for awhile before picking out a couple that seemed useful and deleting the rest. Does that restrict me from making others later?)
Why does paying for dubs well beyond the 12 dub mark on each account not prevent this?

It would also be kind of nice if three rings posted things like this someplace...

*This term is used loosely, in the "CC greenies are more important than larger revenue producing power players are" sense. But thats for the parley thread mostly
----------------------------------------

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by smurfsahoy at Aug 17, 2006 11:57:15 PM]
[Aug 17, 2006 11:51:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Re: Max number of free accounts? Reply to this Post

They used to have a cap on free accounts before, anyway. It's more like, they didn't announce they temporarily stopped having a cap. Apparently, according to you, they've reverted to the way it always used to be =)
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Aug 18, 2006 7:34:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Im still wondering how many free accounts you have, if I try logging in to a newly created account it say "Your COMPUTER has reached the maximum amount of free accounts"

I believe if you would create a free account on another computer it may work.
Kadazzle
[Aug 18, 2006 11:36:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DarkTyger

CC Greenie?
[Aug 18, 2006 11:39:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

This is a support issue, actually. Although banning an account stops that account from logging in, if someone has 50 different unpaid accounts they created, we have been in the past forced to manually click through and ban each of those accounts, which is a tremendous waste of our time. By preventing this exploit, we will be able to provide better service.

Deleted accounts, therefore, do not count towards the creation limit; also, accounts that are old enough do not count. This is simply to stop people from spamming the system with bogus accounts which they could use to evade bans or use for farming pieces of eight using bots.

The limit is 2 linked non-paying accounts created within the last 90 days for creation to succeed (i.e. maximum of 3 free accounts).

The code for this has always been in place, but unfortunately there was a glitch in which it was stopping (believe it or not) customers with too many paid accounts from creating new accounts, instead of the reverse, which I recently patched.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Lizthegrey at Aug 19, 2006 12:52:53 AM]
[Aug 19, 2006 12:25:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Are linked accounts decided by email address?

Asking since i currently have one account that is subscribed, one that used to be subscribed 3 or 4 that have bought doubloons in the last year andsomewhere approaching 10 other accounts that have yet to have money thrown at them - but not all of them have an email address linked to them.

Yes I do plan on throwing money at the other accounts I have eventually, I'm just at a tight spot with finances right now and saving the Three Rings money for when my subscription runs out next month.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Aug 19, 2006 1:58:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Are linked accounts decided by email address?
I doubt it. That would be rather pointless in preventing alt exploitation by those who have been banned. Surely they would simply get a dozen free web-based email addy's. Not to mention, you're not even required to have an email addy on your account.
[Aug 19, 2006 8:25:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

One presumes that the method used to tell a computer is tainted is the one used to tell if a computer has made too many free accounts.
[Aug 19, 2006 9:07:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

The limit is 2 linked non-paying accounts created within the last 90 days for creation to succeed (i.e. maximum of 3 free accounts).

Okay i definitely have way more than 2 accounts that have never bought subs or credit card dubs. They do get them off the exchange though. Does buying labor badges count toward making it a paid account then?

Ive also made 6 accounts at once, logged onto all of them, and then later bought the dubs for badges, which according to this doesnt seem like it should have been possible to do...?

Or is it that if you have any paid accounts (or a certain number), you dont have a cap anymore? (but then, I did get a cap, and I have bought with credit cards - subs as well) Maybe every paid account gets thow two free accounts to go with it, and also exchange dubs count? That seems kind of complicated, but it's the only thing that seems to fit with everything said and seen so far.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Aug 19, 2006 10:21:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

The code to prevent flooding of the account system was booched. I fixed it a night or two ago, so it's only since that point that you'll not be able to create a large number of free accounts.

This is paying for an account with a credit card, not spending doubloons using the exchange or buying badges. I believe that doubscribing an account also will cause it to no longer be considered a free account.
[Aug 19, 2006 10:36:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

Okay, that makes sense. But any particular reason why a credit card works and not exchange bought badges?

[Aug 19, 2006 11:18:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Okay, that makes sense. But any particular reason why a credit card works and not exchange bought badges?
I'm just guessing, but because badges don't necessarily mean you used real world money? I mean, most of my badges came off of trading PoE for doubs. I only made one real world doubloon purchase, 42 I think, way back when, and that only fixed one account.
[Aug 19, 2006 2:54:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

However many more dubs you buy on the exchange than you would have bought with real money if there was no exchange - that is the number of dubs that three rings is selling entirely because of your exchange purposes, in real cash, 100% attributable to you.

But this is in detail in another thread in parley, which is more where it belongs. Im just interested in OOO's explanation.

[Aug 19, 2006 6:55:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

This is not about making more money - this is about better serving all customers. If the effort needed to create an additional new account is simply /tipping that account one doubloon and buying a pirate badge, or only ~700-900 pieces of eight to use that account to obtain one doubloon, then it will be insufficient to stop people from wasting support time by constantly going around bans, etc. - by requiring that real-world payments be made if someone wants more than three accounts, we're preventing the system from being flooded and abused.
[Aug 19, 2006 10:41:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
DarkTyger

So, maybe I should be more articulate in my question: What's a "CC Greenie"?
[Aug 20, 2006 12:37:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Credit Card Greenie.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Aug 20, 2006 2:11:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DarkTyger

Credit Card Greenie.

Well, I kinda got that, but what's it mean? Just a derogatory term for subscribers or something?
[Aug 20, 2006 8:21:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Credit Card Greenie.

Well, I kinda got that, but what's it mean? Just a derogatory term for subscribers or something?

A CC greenie - or CC captain is usually found on doubloon oceans. For some reason people who pay and exchange Doubs into PoE are frowned at - I'm not exactly sure why. Usually have incredibly low stats to go with it, but are still wearing Black and gold.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Aug 20, 2006 8:54:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Framling

'Credit Card Greenies', as Phoenix said, are usually narrow/Able captains, found wearing black and gold. Some people look down on them as CCGs apparently believe that having the stuff and the rank = winning the game, and that they can buy their way to success. A lot of the concern is that they (usually - there are certainly exceptions) run their own crews and flags incompetently, as they're in such a hurry to 'win the game' that they don't take the time to learn how to actually play it. They're not necessarily greenies, just players whose only strength is in their (or a parent's) credit limit. This phenomenon doesn't occur on the sub oceans, as the sub oceans have no way of converting real life money into game money.

Players who achieve success based on merit, and who buy doubloons, are not looked down on (for the most part - some individuals see this as a sign of weakness, which I don't personally get).
Framling on Viridian

Lolpirate says, "O.o Your ability to rhyme is unholy."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Framling at Aug 20, 2006 10:29:34 AM]
[Aug 20, 2006 10:27:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    framlingem [Link]  Go to top 
DarkTyger

So, basically the same as a PLer twink in games such as EQ and WoW....? :p (Or an Ebay baby... )
[Aug 20, 2006 10:43:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

as the sub oceans have no way of converting real life money into game money.

Not true, actually. You can dubscribe and take labor accounts, etc. Its just inefficient and labor intensive.

So, basically the same as a PLer twink in games such as EQ and WoW....?

That's a somewhat deragatory phrase, in a few different ways. I know you didnt come up with it or anything, but yeah...

[Aug 20, 2006 12:23:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Framling

as the sub oceans have no way of converting real life money into game money.

Not true, actually. You can dubscribe and take labor accounts, etc. Its just inefficient and labor intensive.

I didn't think of that - but surely you could just subscribe an account directly? Same price per month to do both.
Framling on Viridian

Lolpirate says, "O.o Your ability to rhyme is unholy."

[Aug 20, 2006 1:17:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    framlingem [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

This doesn't give PoE on the subscriber ocean as a result of exchanging real life money for other players' PoE via the doubloon exchange.

Faulkston,
with a possibly too fine a point
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Aug 20, 2006 6:29:54 PM]
[Aug 20, 2006 1:26:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

I didn't think of that - but surely you could just subscribe an account directly? Same price per month to do both.

Oh right... yeah that's what I meant. The other one though would be a secondary scenrio of that without the money. The point is, its still possible.

Although with the change mentioned in this very thread, perhaps not so much.

[Aug 20, 2006 6:24:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Er. I tried this today. I was able to make another free account. And I'm pretty sure I have more than 3.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Aug 20, 2006 7:28:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Lizthegrey wrote: 

Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Aug 20, 2006 7:33:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

I'll have to try that again, then.

EDIT: Also, doesn't this seem like it puts an evil clamp on the doublooner foraging game? I'm glad I have enough accounts already, otherwise I'd be screwed.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Edit 1 times, last edit by juventus1 at Aug 20, 2006 8:23:25 PM]
[Aug 20, 2006 8:22:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

I'll have to try that again, then.

EDIT: Also, doesn't this seem like it puts an evil clamp on the doublooner foraging game? I'm glad I have enough accounts already, otherwise I'd be screwed.

Well it's not really a "game."

And can you really complain about OOO shunting profits for more people having fun more readily? People complain about this NOT being the case everywhere else (pets, etc.). Seems like a good reason to me.

Personally, I dont quite see why a number limit is the answer, though. Seems like if people are using scripts, then all their accounts should be banned (easy for the devs), and if they're using alts legitimately, then none of the accounts should be banned (also easy). What sort of action requires banning of a few accounts but not others? (Even something like profanity naming, which might be minor, seems like a pretty big deal if you have 30 accounts all full of profanely named pirates...)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by smurfsahoy at Aug 20, 2006 9:20:37 PM]
[Aug 20, 2006 9:17:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Um...I doubt they'll tell you exactly how, since that only assists folks in figuring a way to get around it. Liz has often said, she hates security through obscurity, however she won't publish certain information.
[Aug 28, 2006 5:42:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

OK, the computer that I'm using now has not made any free accounts within at least 6 months, probably 10-14 months. I cannot make some now.

What is my next step? In my interest would be doing something like going to the library, and using their computers to make 3 per computer. But that's not in three ring's best interest.

Doubloon ocean foraging looks to be too profitable now that we've gotten some ideas -- heck, someone who was a nay-sayer on it has become one of the lead doers, so that tells us it's really really profitable. But if the rest of us can't, this just turns into another whitefire pillage imbalance.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 29, 2006 6:13:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates