• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2152 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
lexinen

Possible /filter Command Reply to this Post

Before I start, I did some searching around and didn't find anything regarding this specifically (though I did find threads about aliases, which is similar but not quite as encompassing as this), so apologies in advance if this has been suggested already.

My idea is to include a /filter command that would allow pirates to add filter words/phrases to the chat filter for incoming/outgoing chat. The usage would be as follows:

/filter word
This would drop all chat involving "word" from incoming/outgoing chat. I believe this sort of mechanism already exists for some of the dirtier words.

/filter word1 word2
This would replace all occurrences of the word "word1" with "word2" in incoming/outgoing chat. Similar to how chat like "gg" is replaced with "good game".

This command would have several uses:

1) It allows those with sensitive ears (or eyes?) to add non-filtered words that they might still find offensive. For example,

/filter crap slop
All chat occurrences of the word/phrase "crap" will be changed to "slop".

2) It can be used as a sort of workaround for those wishing to mute pets (an issue which has recently come up). For example,

/filter Squeak.
All chat involving the word/phrase "Squeak." will be dropped.

The same could be done for any other pet noises.

3) It can be used to add aliases to the game since these filters could be used for outgoing chat as well. For example,

/filter "team well" "To team, click on a pirate etc."
All chat occurrences of the word/phrase "team well" will be changed to "To team, click on a pirate etc."

4) I'm not sure if the current chat filter can do this, but it might be able to mute certain chat channels if you do something like this:

/filter "flag officer chats"
All chat involving the word/phrase "flag officer chats" will be dropped.

5) It could be used to turn l33t sp33k into readable text by adding the appropriate l33t words/phrases.

6) It could potentially be used to override some of the filter words already present. For example, instead of showing the lengthy "Billions of blistering blue barnacles!", you could do something like

/filter omg "Oh my!"
All chat occurrences of the word/phrase "omg" will be changed to "Oh my!".

7) For those that are easily amused (like myself), it could be fun to change around text temporarily :)

/filter the "Monty Python's Flying Circus"
All chat occurrences of the word/phrase "the" will be changed to "Monty Python's Flying Circus".

The list of words you add to the filter could be stored client-side similarly to how the mute list is stored. The list could even be viewable/editable from the Options just like the mute list. This customizable filter would work alongside the filter options that exist already, so you wouldn't have to type in every word you want filtered, just the ones that aren't there already.

As far as I know, this wouldn't take that much extra coding (adding a command, copying/modifying the mute list interface a little, modifying the current chat filter to include this list), but then again I could be wrong.

Comments? Suggestions? Complaints?
----------------------------------------
Lexinen of the Viridian Ocean
Captain of the (Inactive) crew Revolution
[Aug 13, 2006 1:14:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Re: Possible /filter Command Reply to this Post

Best. Idea. Ever.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Aug 13, 2006 1:21:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wulfram

This is absolutely brilliant! I love it, and this is exactly what I've wanted for a long time.
[Aug 13, 2006 1:34:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kanddak

Outgoing filters/aliases would have to be a separate mechanism, I think.

But customizable filters would be brilliant. I'd immediately /filter nh New Hampshire, /filter gay gay, /filter pimp pope (and a few other bits of theme-breaking modern slang), and we might have a shot at having less stupid, emotionally charged linguistic tartfests on the forums.

On the other hand, I like how the piratical filters have contributed to the game's culture -- for example, "tartfests" that I just used --, and I'd hate to see that go away because everyone has a different set of substitutions according to their tastes.
-Kanddak, Sage Ocean
[Aug 13, 2006 1:53:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

I was goint to post something about the nefarious spam uses for this, but then realized that it doesnt make spam any easier than ctrl-v does already.

I love it.

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Aug 13, 2006 2:03:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stowaway1693

My one concern comes with using chatlogs for recording conversations, etc.

While the idea itself is brilliant... what's to stop people from posting chatlogs which have been filtered through their own personal filter and then assuming that perhaps the person they're quoting said something they didn't actually say [because the filter changed out a word or two]?
Or the people being quoted throwing a tartfest about things that were filtered that they didn't actually say?
Or other general miscommunications involving filtering words that one may not really have any need to filter?
Sisqi

Midnight- now in Phresh Phoenix Phlavour

[Aug 13, 2006 2:19:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

My one concern comes with using chatlogs for recording conversations, etc.

While the idea itself is brilliant... what's to stop people from posting chatlogs which have been filtered through their own personal filter and then assuming that perhaps the person they're quoting said something they didn't actually say [because the filter changed out a word or two]?
Or the people being quoted throwing a tartfest about things that were filtered that they didn't actually say?
Or other general miscommunications involving filtering words that one may not really have any need to filter?

I was pretty sure personal chat logs were taken with a grain of salt by everyone aside from the parley HWFOers. Don't really see this is a viable concern.
[Aug 13, 2006 2:54:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

There is however the danger of being able to shoot oneself in the foot cut off one's leg by a poor choice of (client-side) chat filters. For instance one can accidently cause particular topics to be dropped, thereby confusing oneself.

Any use of the filtering to spam (e.g. single letter filter expansions) can be handled in 2 ways. There's /complain obviously but to avoid some problems at the source, there's also a maximum chat message length which is not to be exceeded after filter expansion. That would apply to both outgoing (don't spam others) and incoming (don't spam oneself) messages.

Aliases are somewhat related to filtering.

Faulkston,
filtering an idea
[Aug 13, 2006 3:03:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Aside for something like this having the potential of causing a lot of confusion, where a person says one thing and because of a filter the other person sees something completely different, there's something to knowing that what you say is what someone else hears, it's not like typing doesn't already take away intonation and such leading to confusion sometimes already anyways.

But aside from all that, i also see it open to abuse. You dislike someone, just filter a word you know this person will use to something really offensive and banworthy and complain them.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Aug 13, 2006 3:32:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

But if the incoming filter is applied client-side, the filtered pirate is recorded by the server as not having used an offensive word. The converse case is unlikely to happen unless someone convinces another pirate to use an outgoing filter to change an innocuous word into an offensive one (I dunno, claiming that "it'll reduce lag" may even work).

Faulkston,
shrugging
[Aug 13, 2006 3:40:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Oh, right. Well that still leaves my first point, abut it creating lots of confusion. The current filters work because we can easily look up/know what was actually said. Having people from all over the world does not make a word always mean the same. For example the brittish smoking fags. Another example, someone said changing nh to new hampshire, to me nh is noord holland. See how easily things can get very confusing?
Pleun,

[Aug 13, 2006 3:51:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Certainly. It's a problem with the current mogrifications too.

Faulkston,
:-/
[Aug 13, 2006 3:53:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
lexinen

Another example, someone said changing nh to new hampshire, to me nh is noord holland. See how easily things can get very confusing?

Using the proposed filters, there's four possible situations when Pirate A types "nh" (thinking "nh" is "New Hampshire") to Pirate B (thinking "nh" is "Noord Holland"):

1) Neither pirate has any filters on (as is the case now). Pirate A meant New Hampshire, Pirate B thinks Noord Holland, and there's still confusion since they both think it means different things.

2) Pirate A has the filter for "nh" meaning "New Hampshire", while Pirate B has no filter. Pirate B would see "New Hampshire" since it was filtered before it was sent to Pirate B. This is actually less confusing since this is what Pirate A meant to say.

3) Pirate A has no filters, while Pirate B has the filter for "nh" meaning "Noord Holland". Pirate B sees "Noord Holland" since it is filtered upon arriving. But since Pirate B would have thought "nh" meant "Noord Holland" anyway, it doesn't create any more confusion than the first situation (assuming Pirate B remembers they have this filter on).

4) Pirate A has "nh" meaning "New Hampshire", and Pirate B has "nh" meaning "Noord Holland". Pirate B would still see "New Hampshire" since it would be filtered before being sent by Pirate A, and this is what Pirate A meant to say.

So, if anything, these filters have the potential to reduce confusion, if not keep the confusion level as it is now. The exception, of course, are the people who put in weird filters (something like "dog" for "cat", for example), and hopefully a little common sense will prevent this.
Lexinen of the Viridian Ocean
Captain of the (Inactive) crew Revolution
[Aug 13, 2006 4:32:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Another example, someone said changing nh to new hampshire, to me nh is noord holland. See how easily things can get very confusing?

Using the proposed filters, there's four possible situations when Pirate A types "nh" (thinking "nh" is "New Hampshire") to Pirate B (thinking "nh" is "Noord Holland"):

1) Neither pirate has any filters on (as is the case now). Pirate A meant New Hampshire, Pirate B thinks Noord Holland, and there's still confusion since they both think it means different things.

2) Pirate A has the filter for "nh" meaning "New Hampshire", while Pirate B has no filter. Pirate B would see "New Hampshire" since it was filtered before it was sent to Pirate B. This is actually less confusing since this is what Pirate A meant to say.

3) Pirate A has no filters, while Pirate B has the filter for "nh" meaning "Noord Holland". Pirate B sees "Noord Holland" since it is filtered upon arriving. But since Pirate B would have thought "nh" meant "Noord Holland" anyway, it doesn't create any more confusion than the first situation (assuming Pirate B remembers they have this filter on).

4) Pirate A has "nh" meaning "New Hampshire", and Pirate B has "nh" meaning "Noord Holland". Pirate B would still see "New Hampshire" since it would be filtered before being sent by Pirate A, and this is what Pirate A meant to say.

So, if anything, these filters have the potential to reduce confusion, if not keep the confusion level as it is now. The exception, of course, are the people who put in weird filters (something like "dog" for "cat", for example), and hopefully a little common sense will prevent this.

You are expecting too much of people if you expect common sense.

And my point is if someone types nh and someone else reads nh they may ask what nh stands for for them, if someone autofilters nh to say new hampshire and someone said they are from nh, they won't remember they set a abbreviation to translate to nh and assume immediately that the person is from new hampshire.
Pleun,

[Aug 13, 2006 4:44:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kanddak

Yikes, didn't mean to stir up such a mess. I brought up nh => New Hampshire because people use the example of trying to talk about New Hampshire when they complain about the confusion caused by the present nh => nice hand substitution (which, incidentally, I have never seen used). I suppose I could just /filter nh nh.

Perhaps there could be (optionally but defaulting to on) a small font change (dark grey instead of black?) on portions of chat messages which have been altered by personal filters, to remind absent-minded filterers that something was changed.
-Kanddak, Sage Ocean
[Aug 13, 2006 6:47:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burnella

Ah! That sounds like a groovy idea, the part about changing the font or the color to indicate to you that your filter has been used. So if it seems like an odd sentence that is displayed, you can say ,'oh! It must be coming through like that because of the filter I have set up'

I love this idea. I would love to figure out how to filter names. Some of the pirates choose long or funny spelling names. You could come up with your own nickname for your hearty(possibly?) using your filter. So, Instead of sending a /tell to monkeyman, can't you set it up so you only type '/tell mm' or something like that? Don't we all have nicknames for those in our crew?

Another benefit is if you don't like how one of your flag officers is chatting, (which happens from time to time in our flag) you can mute that person, too, using the filter option?

Am I understanding this whole function correctly? or am I in the weeds as normal.

------------------------------
Snubnose
On Viridian & every other ocean under the sun.
Arrrrr!

Snubnose on Viridian, Cobalt & Crimson
Arrmani on Hunter
[Aug 13, 2006 7:47:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates