• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 34
Posts: 34   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28297 times and has 33 replies Next Thread
xagoloth

Navigation Tricks and Tips Reply to this Post

Navigation Tutorial by Jack Sparrow

The technique thats going to be highlighted in the following tutorial is a one of the most basic ways to get do well on the navigation puzzle with star constellations greater than 3. The first screen shows us a mess of a constellation where we have to match a three star constellation with two different colored star in the innermost ring and another one on the middle ring. The problem may seem complex but really isn't that complex if you use the technique thats going to be highlighted in the following tutorial. We need a red and a yellow star in the innermost circle. The first thing we do is hence match up one of these stars. We have two red stars but no yellow stars. So lets move the closest red star into the spot. The result of which you can see in the following screenshot.

Our goal here is to get a yellow star into the innermost ring. The orange arrow points to the location we want to put the yellow star.

The red arrow points to a yellow star on the middle ring which we can need to move into the innermost ring. We were lucky in this case as we already had a yellow star on the middle ring.

So in the technique, the first process, is to put a star that we want to clear, next to the star we want to replace it with.

So in our case we want to clear the blue star and we want to replace it with a yellow star; hence we need to put a blue star next to the yellow star on the middle ring.

Confused ? Look at screen shot number 3.

The two possible spots are highlighted by the green boxes in screen shot number 3.

The idea here is to keep as clean of a ring until we can place a blue star next to the yellow star in one of those two green boxes. Screen shot number 4 shows a possible scenario of placing stars. You dont need to keep both spots open but make sure atleast one is.

On screen shot number 5 we finally get a blue star that we can place into one of those green boxes next the yellow star.

Screen shot number 6 shows the spot taken by the blue star on the middle ring and becoming aligned with the middle ring. We only need a third blue star to clear this row of blue stars and put the yellow star into the innermost ring.

Screenshots 7 and 8 show how a third blue star is spawned and we move it into the corresponding spot to clear that row of blues.

Screenshots 9 and 10 show how the row of blue is cleared and the yellow that was neigbouring the middle blue star is put into its required spot.

Screen shot 11 shows the completion of our constellation by moving the third required red star into its spot to get "True Sailing".

A direct link to the tutorial on my website with proper formatting.
http://puzzle.thinkingproblem.com/nav.html

Like the tutorial??? Come read more tutorials on my website.
http://puzzle.thinkingproblem.com

Got an awesome tutorial ??? I would love to host it. Please send me a PM.[/img]
----------------------------------------
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Nov 14, 2003 1:08:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Re: Navigation Tricks and Tips Reply to this Post

How ironic that we both complete nav tutorials at the same time :) heheheh.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 14, 2003 1:17:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

54x wrote: 
How ironic that we both complete nav tutorials at the same time :) heheheh.

I just saw your tutorials :-p.

Nice job. :)
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Nov 14, 2003 1:28:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

In the first screen shot though, wouldn't have been that much simpler to just clear the leftmost row of blue stars using the one that was spawned and manually slip the yellow star into the slot?
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Nov 14, 2003 2:15:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Dorel wrote: 
In the first screen shot though, wouldn't have been that much simpler to just clear the leftmost row of blue stars using the one that was spawned and manually slip the yellow star into the slot?

Yes. But I wanted to go longer to show the process with more stars :). or to be honest lol .. i was screenshotting it copy pasting and blah blah .. so i missed it first time around ;). Oh well. it gets the point across :-p
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xagoloth at Nov 14, 2003 2:30:42 AM]
[Nov 14, 2003 2:30:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Claudia

Dorel wrote: 

I think ye mean rightmost, or it wouldn't line up with the red correctly. That's how I'd have done it, yes, but it wouldn't have shown as many maneuvers in a single tutorial. Heh.
Utena of Revolutionary Crew Utena
[Nov 14, 2003 2:31:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Claudia wrote: 
I think ye mean rightmost, or it wouldn't line up with the red correctly. That's how I'd have done it, yes, but it wouldn't have shown as many maneuvers in a single tutorial. Heh.

Ah, I think we're looking at the puzzle differently. I did mean leftmost because in the second screen shot he has two blue stars lined up and it's the leftmost line he wants to break.

Very nice tutorial Jaques, the only thing is though the first two screenshots might confuse some who'd think that the breaking star absolutely needs to be next to the star ye want to place fer it to work.

Also, my strategy seems to be the same as yours, except instead of surrounding the star ye want to place with breaking stars (as in this case, a blue one), I do the reverse (so I would've tried to put a blue star between two yellow stars). That way, if I somehow mess up and press the wrong direction while doing the puzzle (I'm easily distracted), it doesn't matter since the right colored star will fall into place anyways.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Nov 14, 2003 2:51:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
DallasM

Wow, you could've cleared that a lot sooner. Instead of clearing that row of 3 blue stars, clear the blue, which is in the yellow's star space, vertically and then move the yellow right into place. This gets you a higher score....=)
Senior Officer and First Mate of the crew skeletons in your closet
-Volsfootball on all oceans
[Oct 9, 2005 3:09:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Dorel already said that, <removed badness>

Ahem, sorry. This is why I let Phade do the idiot slappin'.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Vurogj at Oct 9, 2005 4:09:54 PM]
[Oct 9, 2005 4:00:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Not to mention you just bumped a 2 year old thread.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Oct 9, 2005 4:52:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
bonjella

Darn, images arn't showing up for me...

I learnt to nav by reading this thread - I now want to pass it onto one of my aspiring officers... are the images just not showing up for me or is this all dead?

Did anyone save this tutorial somewhere before the images died?

Many thanks,

Amy
Ex-SO of Moonlitwake, member of the flag Moonlighting on Midnight
Ex-Captain of Dragon's Horde and Ex-Queen of the RiddleMakers on Viridian
Minister of Technology for RiddleMakers
Gov of Labby
www.RiddleMakers.org
[Dec 9, 2005 3:53:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.cunningcode.com/moonlighting [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Darn, images arn't showing up for me...

I learnt to nav by reading this thread - I now want to pass it onto one of my aspiring officers... are the images just not showing up for me or is this all dead?

Did anyone save this tutorial somewhere before the images died?

Many thanks,

Amy
The images are two years old... not surprising they're dead ;)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Dec 9, 2005 4:56:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ackpol

Big bump. Any chance fer the images again, or a new tutorial?
Undeadfish, Viridian

[quote][quote]You know, if we would have PvPed...the Moonfish would have stomped the Sunfish. That's all I can say. :P[/quote]
It so would not. For I have the Awesome Power of the Fruitc
[Mar 20, 2006 12:51:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I never ceases to amaze me how so many people are able to write yet don't seem to have developed the reading.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 20, 2006 2:16:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

I never ceases to amaze me how so many people are able to write yet don't seem to have developed the reading.

The first screen shows us a mess of a constellation where we have to match a three star constellation with two different colored star in the innermost ring and another one on the middle ring.

I can perfectly understand why he wants a screenie, its rather hard to see that in your head IMO.
[Mar 20, 2006 2:24:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Oh, I'm fully aware the guide doesn't work that well without screenshots.

I'm also aware that the exact same question had been answered in the post above that one.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 20, 2006 2:27:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

qft1 ;)
[Mar 20, 2006 2:32:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

I'm also aware that the exact same question had been answered in the post above that one.

And that what I get for just reading the OP and ignoring the other posts in the thread that are old.
[Mar 20, 2006 3:23:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Ackpol

Better to bump then to start a new thread asking for tutorials. Or am I wrong here. If this tutorial doesn't work without the screenies, then I suggest the wiki needs an update in the navigation page.

Edit: I meant the navigation wiki's page of external links. If pictures aren't update it remove it. As it is no more an Illustrated tutorial. Thank you.
Undeadfish, Viridian

[quote][quote]You know, if we would have PvPed...the Moonfish would have stomped the Sunfish. That's all I can say. :P[/quote]
It so would not. For I have the Awesome Power of the Fruitc
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ackpol at Mar 22, 2006 4:32:54 AM]
[Mar 21, 2006 10:33:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
empath

Oh, really? A snide remark about the age of the original tutorial is supposed to be a reliable response to "Did anyone save this tutorial somewhere before the images died?"

Do you know for CERTAIN that no one has a copy of the screenies? It appears that 'no one that reads this thread does' would be a reasonable conclusion, especially after waiting to see for any responses, rather than jumping straight in just an hour later with rudeness and no useful information...

And I note that you didn't bother answering the second bumper's actual QUESTION: "Any chance fer the images again..." Instead, you just relish in insulting the person asking the question. Very helpful.

(and if you were really concerned about the waste of time and effort that the bump caused, you'd have NOT MADE ANY REPLY AT ALL, instead of throwing another post into the thread, putting it back among the 'unread posts in this thread' category for everyone)

Since you're too busy staring down your nose at us 'peons', I'll bow and scrape and beg your permission to do your work for you:

Ackpol? Probably not, due to the age of the original tutorial and the lack of response from the previous request, sorry. If any copies of the images exist anywhere, they aren't held by anyone who cares to speak up in here.

But anyway, back to your incivility: let's not forget the (to me) most important part of ackpol's inquiry: "...or a new tutorial?"

This was completely ignored. Ackpol? I'd have to say no to this idea, because that would mean that these forum snobs would have to stop the fun they're having taunting those with questions to actually DO something.

In closing, I'll just play a George Thorogood song: "Get a Haircut, and Get a Real Job"

empath, a thoroughly disappointed player who was hoping this place would be of use to people wishing to learn more about YPP

/me closes account on these fora since the actually HELPFUL members of the community apparently left two years ago, leaving a nasty little clique as their legacy. Pity.:(
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"D is for DIPLOMA, baby!" -- THUNDERBOLT, on Banzai Forums explaining academic sufficiency
[Mar 28, 2006 8:26:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

What's with this rash of attributing a single person's behavior to a community? Is it something in the water?
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Mar 28, 2006 8:35:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I wouldn't be a part of any clique that would have me as a member.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 28, 2006 9:26:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

someone very whiny wrote: 
But anyway, back to your incivility: let's not forget the (to me) most important part of ackpol's inquiry: "...or a new tutorial?"

This was completely ignored. Ackpol? I'd have to say no to this idea, because that would mean that these forum snobs would have to stop the fun they're having taunting those with questions to actually DO something.

You appear to be a forum member, and presumably player, who's got what, 8 months under their belt? Why don't *you* write one? Or find someone else who has one ready to go and link it?

Get out of the crow's nest and bilge, or quit complaining that other people are up there with you.
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[Mar 29, 2006 8:34:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tyler21796

What's with this rash of attributing a single person's behavior to a community? Is it something in the water?

lol to much rum in da water lol
**--(Sworder) CI addicted Wench of Hunter--**

Croft wrote: 
IF YOU DON,T LIKE IT DON,T READ IT!!!

[Mar 29, 2006 9:42:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    monkeyman21796 [Link]  Go to top 
KingGoob

lol to much rum in da water lol

I always assumed it was the other way 'round.
Jack Handey wrote: 
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something.

[Mar 29, 2006 10:04:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tantalus90

oh how i hate old posts where the links to the pics are bad

:(
Tantalus on Cobalt
Tantan on Hunter
[May 12, 2006 8:36:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Lovely. This is the third time this thread has been brought up..and it is like 3 years old. Weird.

o.O
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[May 12, 2006 9:38:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tantalus90

Lovely. This is the third time this thread has been brought up..and it is like 3 years old. Weird.

o.O

I guess people are looking for navigation tips just like the title says

nothing wierd about that what is wierd and frustrating is that the thread is still here but missing the all important pictures
Tantalus on Cobalt
Tantan on Hunter
[May 12, 2006 10:00:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alicechenlee

could some one PLEASE put in a working video of how to navagate.

I am going crazy here!

Tks
[May 14, 2006 11:06:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ruddigore

For videos, I like Scarymuffin's:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-837758695439432468
Ruthven, FO Yarr Talk, Cerulean
Despard, SO Fer Crown and Fortune, Emerald
[May 15, 2006 3:08:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 34   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates