• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 31
Posts: 31   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3843 times and has 30 replies Next Thread
juventus1

Vanguard has declared a blockade on Dendrite Island. Blockade will commence in 24 hours.

Because we can.

Jobbing Contact is Beebe. If SX makes it sinking, that's 11 more days of war. If they don't, we kick their asses.

Cheers.
----------------------------------------
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Aug 5, 2006 12:02:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

Re: Vanguard has declared a blockade on Dendrite Island. Blockade will commence in 24 hours.

>=D

Tough choice for SX then.
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[Aug 5, 2006 12:52:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ariel_mac

Re: Vanguard has declared a blockade on Dendrite Island. Blockade will commence in 24 hours.

Heads I help Vanguard
Tails I help SX

/me flip coins

Would you look at that.... a tricked coin...

Heads only....
~ Arielmac (all oceans except Atlantic)

[Aug 5, 2006 1:38:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LadySuzuran

Hehe some more ships to sink in that graveyard!
Elegance Fleet Officer of Mercenaries on Viridian
Elegance Pirate of Melopene's Fury on Cobalt
Elegance Fleet Officer of Looney Bin on Sage
Elegance Senior Officer of The Black Hunters on Hunter
Elegancex Crewless on Midnight
[Aug 5, 2006 2:32:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
r_nevermind

Whee! Personally, as a manager of a shipyard shoppe, I love wars, blockades and anything that gives us more business!! I still hope that VG doesn't win this one...but...sadly I probably won't be there to help fight against them either.
~Mergen - Captain- Ira Deorum; Queen- Regnum Irae

Cheers to Nordenx (and Framling!) for the avatar!
[Aug 5, 2006 7:05:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

If SX makes it sinking, that's 11 more days of war. If they don't, we kick their asses.

It's actually sinking since you're still at war with SX. But since they've been offering a truce for awhile, you don't get more days of war from them.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Aug 6, 2006 1:46:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Vanguard has conceded the rest of the Dendrite blockade; an outpost is not worth losing any more ships over. That said, we did a lot of damage and had some UNF. Thanks to everyone who jobbed for us, did /fbs for us, was on our blockade team, and helped make it a great day overall. Well fought, SX.
Desmagicus

-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Aug 6, 2006 2:54:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez187

Thanks for the glubbage Des. Can't argue on letting it go after the second round, an outpost isn't worth that many frigs.
Zeight of Obsidian
Formerly Chavezxtwo of Viridian
[Aug 6, 2006 8:56:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jondigger20

I don't understand.

Vanguard are always claiming they make mega-zillions of poe in a single day.

Ungrounded?
Johndigger

Fleet Officer of The British Eagles

All round barrelstopper.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jondigger20 at Aug 7, 2006 6:44:23 AM]
[Aug 7, 2006 6:42:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

When did we claim this?

I have a helluva lot of money. Just because I have so much, do I give 1 poe to every beggar that asks for it? Of course not. We work hard to have it, we can spend it how we like.
Desmagicus

-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Aug 7, 2006 7:21:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jondigger20

Just because I have so much, do I give 1 poe to every beggar that asks for it

It's a completely different scenario.

You're talking about spending it on someone else. I'm talking about spending it for your own entertainment.

You're saying there is no difference between paying for a stranger to watch a movie and paying for yourself to go?

And it has been claimed many many times that you, as a flag have a lot of money. I would route through my chatlogs to find just a few quotes but I'd rather let you win than put in the effort to find it.
Johndigger

All round barrelstopper.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jondigger20 at Aug 7, 2006 12:41:44 PM]
[Aug 7, 2006 12:40:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

Just because I have so much, do I give 1 poe to every beggar that asks for it

It's a completely different scenario.

You're talking about spending it on someone else. I'm talking about spending it for your own entertainment.

You're saying there is no difference between paying for a stranger to watch a movie and paying for yourself to go?

Think of a stall or shoppe. They give people entertainment. If ye were to start setting use prices under what ye bought the commod for it would make very little sense. Sure, ye would have fun until ye went bankrupt and couldn't afford to keep the stall open as ye were running at loss. Even having a lot of poe and running at a loss is not worth the bother.

Same applies to blockades; an island is only worth so much. From what I heard SX had 40/40. Im not sure whether that's true or not but if it means that much to them that they are willing to lose that many ships over, its there's to keep if they want it so bad.
Triggster.
[Aug 7, 2006 12:54:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jondigger20

Same applies to blockades; an island is only worth so much.

I completely agree but it's worth different amounts to different flags.

A very rich flag (Like Vanguard) can afford to loose more ships than any other flag on the ocean, apart from P4P, perhaps.

Your point about the stalls is also very valid. But making a loss on your goods can actually cause you to make a profit in the future.

You put your goods below market price.

No one else can match your prices without going out of buisness.

You force them out of buisness.

You have no competition in the area. You can raise your prices.

Obivously the Ypp market is too big for this to happen. But converted into blockade terms it's a "War of Attrition" and Vanguard have given every appearance they can certainly afford to do this.

It's only a very small point I'm trying to make here. As it's VG's money and they can do what the hell the want with it.
Johndigger

All round barrelstopper.
[Aug 7, 2006 1:20:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Vanguard only blockades to financially benefit themselves, always have, always will. Even if they have 100 zillion poe and 50,000 WF, they'll still try to come ahead.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Aug 7, 2006 5:27:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
ninja277

I think JD and Flak are on the right track. I wasn't there for the blockade and haven't spoke to any royals of Vanguard, but a mate told me that Van lost 9-10 frigs first round and SX lost double that amount or close to it.

Like I said, I wasn't there so I do not know how accurate that is, but if I had to take a look at it from a Vanguard stand point, 9 or 10 frigs lost, with a flag that lost double that amount, over an outpost, and it appears the defending flag is not backing down, might have been time to pack it in.

It is my understanding jobbers were over the 300 mark with frig numbers in the 6+ on the board at once for both sides. Maybe, load a couple of frigs for round 2 for Vanguard and try and sink some more ships and run off if damaged? Something I might have considered if it was my show. Either way, as Flak said, outpost value is only so much and I am sure Van has plenty of fire power just cost wasn't worth the value.

Either way, sounds like it was a great blockade and congrats to both sides on a great show.
Tristan

All Oceans
[Aug 7, 2006 8:41:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Tristan wrote: 
Something I might have considered if it was my show.

Heh, and I thought you were the only one left who blockaded out of principle, not $$$ (even though P4P blockades are few and far between nowadays =( ). I guess this is a doubloon ocean, nobody just blockades anymore.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Aug 7, 2006 10:16:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
joris

Tristan wrote: 
Something I might have considered if it was my show.

Heh, and I thought you were the only one left who blockaded out of principle, not $$$ (even though P4P blockades are few and far between nowadays =( ). I guess this is a doubloon ocean, nobody just blockades anymore.

Considering losses compared to worth is definately blockading on principle.

I believe the course in highschool for accounting is called Principles of Financial Accounting.

There is a principle where one should not put all one's eggs in one basket (to put it simply). Depending on how many ships Vanguard still has, and considering the amount of isles they have left, it is not worth wasting too many trying to gain another.

Also, there is the principle of value. Dendrite can be valuable to a flag without a shipyard; however, to Vanguard, which owns 2 large islands it can build shipyards on, and owns shipyards itself, the island is not worth anything but an act of attrition towards SX.

I believe they accomplished that goal by sinking at a minimum twice as many of their opponent's ships. I counted 10 WF sinking from Vanguard, btw.

The principle of conseding to losses. Sometimes people do not know when to give up. They will ride the curve too long, up or down. Vanguard made the right call and set themselves a limit. Flags should follow this example, as it has happened time and time again where they will sink every ship they have, and the flag dies a couple days later.

I am not directing this specifically at you Flak, nor do i know the actual intention you wrote your post at. I am just commenting on the principles I think Tristan was refering to as a fellow blockade tactician.

Sure they lost, but hey, like they say, they were in it for the UNF. The best thing they did was set themselves a limit, so they can have fun again another time. ;-)
Belgica
Teh Poke faktor candidate 07/07
[Aug 8, 2006 12:22:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jewel27

FYI - We lost 11 Frigs, 8 Brigs, 1 cutter and 4 sloops all up =)

No idea what UNF means ... BB and Des saying UNF alot ...gathering it means good game ?

Anyway Vanguard...*+*+ good game *+*+
*+*+*Princess of Star Explorers*+*+*

"Nothing is forever, cept memories...."

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Jewel27 at Aug 8, 2006 2:09:54 AM]
[Aug 8, 2006 1:56:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Two of those frigs and two sloops were sunk by me, so it looks like we may have some miscommunication in numbers.
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Aug 8, 2006 3:59:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jewel27

I am aware that some allies took a few ships in - so I do not know which of their ships sunk.

I speak for my fleet only =)
*+*+*Princess of Star Explorers*+*+*

"Nothing is forever, cept memories...."

[Aug 8, 2006 4:33:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blackmaria

Sure they lost

Even that is debatable.

We still have all the islands we had before the Blockade, so we didn't lose anythign there. We sunk more of them than they sunk us, so we have that too. SX kept their outpost, well done, but thats about the only place we didn't come out on top.

We attack another of their islands, make a point, and get out. I have absolutely no problems with how any of this played out, but thats easy for me to say because i don't actually OWN the blockade ships.
Just show up and shoot, thats my philosophy.
[Aug 8, 2006 7:39:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joris

FYI - We lost 11 Frigs, 8 Brigs, 1 cutter and 4 sloops all up =)

No idea what UNF means ... BB and Des saying UNF alot ...gathering it means good game ?

Anyway Vanguard...*+*+ good game *+*+

All I know is that under the name Vanguard, I saw 10 WFs sink (I Did not count anything smaller). Under the name SX, I saw a bit more than double that sink. So your allies sustained sufficient losses as well.
Belgica
Teh Poke faktor candidate 07/07
[Aug 8, 2006 10:13:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

The principle of conseding to losses. Sometimes people do not know when to give up. They will ride the curve too long, up or down.

This point here wins the thread for me. Vanguard in my opinion haven't even peaked yet, because their main opposition is depleted, and the depleted is that way due to the quoted point. I too, am guilty of this during my SX reign, because i had too much pride to suck it all up and back out.
-Twiggy

[Aug 8, 2006 10:21:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seasons24

The principle of conseding to losses. Sometimes people do not know when to give up. They will ride the curve too long, up or down.

This point here wins the thread for me. Vanguard in my opinion haven't even peaked yet, because their main opposition is depleted, and the depleted is that way due to the quoted point. I too, am guilty of this during my SX reign, because i had too much pride to suck it all up and back out.

Hmmmm, maybe ur right there, but i shall say this, and this only. VG are too greedy! i mean look at em! all islands and no talk! im actually glad SX won! now you won't get that very often on here, but i know this = SX wants back terra, and will stop at nothing to get it! now how's that eh?
Seasons, FO, The Seaborn Spirits.

Kiadude flag broadcasts, "Brownies are dangerous when made of Death.

[Aug 12, 2006 3:19:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Aren't you the guy who wanted to join my crew after i sunk your brig four hours after merging into the flag?

Yeah, just a guess, but i doubt you can fairly claim that about SX. I was monarch. Word doesn't spread out of the royalty clique much.
-Twiggy

[Aug 12, 2006 3:27:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seasons24

Aren't you the guy who wanted to join my crew after i sunk your brig four hours after merging into the flag?

Yeah, just a guess, but i doubt you can fairly claim that about SX. I was monarch. Word doesn't spread out of the royalty clique much.

Touche, and to think i would join you? i was desperate to get away from FLM (flota memetica imperial) and so i was thinking harshly, not accepting the consequences

and if what you say is correct, about me being sunk by you 4 hours in, then now i would get rid of this anger of mine at the guy who merged the crew i was happily enjoying! and after all, i don't use spies to tell me if a ship is damaged so you can finish it off

happy? oh, and i don't talk too much, my boy!

[Aug 12, 2006 3:34:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

You're one week late.
Desmagicus

-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Aug 12, 2006 3:40:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seasons24

You're one week late.

So what if i'm 'one week late', desmagicus? i know you, and you know me (as Donkreig in the earlier years) so i know you, and i don't give a coin if i'm one week late, alright?

[Aug 12, 2006 3:45:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

You're one week late.

So what if i'm 'one week late', desmagicus? i know you, and you know me (as Donkreig in the earlier years) so i know you, and i don't give a coin if i'm one week late, alright?

Someone has an attitude problem.
Triggster.
[Aug 12, 2006 3:50:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

Someone has an attitude problem.

Lovely variant on PEBKAC, isn't it?
Now in a special Hunter flavor.
[Aug 12, 2006 6:33:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 31   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates