• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1841 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Spelunk

A question on Auction Etiquette

I recently participated in the auction for Distill of the Night on Zeta, http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=43295
an auction that had no rules on last minute sniping of bids.

Now... what IS the general consensus on bids of the following ilk

==== [Aug 4, 2006 5:59:33 PM]

====

==== [Aug 4, 2006 5:59:56 PM]

Dolgan

p.s. In event of any other sniping bids within the last minute of the auction end time (3pm pacific, August 4th), I will bid their bid +5k, up to a maximum bid of 355k.
===

To my jaundiced eyes, an entry in the "ps" portion does NOT constistute a bid... however, in the eyes of the person running the auction it did.

Comments?

/em dons his flame jacket
[Aug 4, 2006 7:19:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Re: A question on Auction Etiquette

Sneaky. I wouldn't have allowed it were it my auction. But the seller is allowed to do whatever they like with their item short of outright lying to get it sold for the best price.
----------------------------------------
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Aug 4, 2006 7:24:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Hmm my initial thought was to agree with you; however, after looking at the thread, I would have to agree with the seller.

Here's my thinking. It's not really a conditional bid, but rather a bid where all parameters are completely knowable at the moment the auction ends, and based on information submitted prior to the close of the auction.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 4, 2006 7:24:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

It's basically like the automated "max" bid thing on ebay...

They probably were unable to check it at the very end of the auction, so put what he was willing to go up to. I'd say it's valid.

But I see your frustration too. :(
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Aug 4, 2006 8:42:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

The other thing is, it's pretty obvious. You can just look, see if you want it 360k worth and take it from him.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Aug 4, 2006 8:51:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spelunk

The other thing is, it's pretty obvious. You can just look, see if you want it 360k worth and take it from him.

Aye.. as long as you can refresh, type and reply in the 4 seconds...
[Aug 4, 2006 8:55:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spelunk

It's basically like the automated "max" bid thing on ebay...

They probably were unable to check it at the very end of the auction, so put what he was willing to go up to. I'd say it's valid.

But I see your frustration too. :(

But... that bid was placed with 4 count em F O U R seconds to go...
[Aug 4, 2006 9:13:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Which you can't. On my piggy auction testing, it was ten seconds between hitting reply and it actually posting.

Which is why I prefer the 'auction stays open until x time period after the last bid' format......
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 5, 2006 10:35:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Which you can't. On my piggy auction testing, it was ten seconds between hitting reply and it actually posting.

Which is why I prefer the 'auction stays open until x time period after the last bid' format......
That has its' own unique problems, though. You have to get into medium-high spreads if you ever want that auction to end, or you'll just have two people one-upping each other for days. Medium-high spreads don't seem to be beloved.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Aug 6, 2006 7:00:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dchow

it wasn't 10 seconds the last time i sniped an item.

/me points at the gold clam shell auction

-Dchow, who is getting old -- but not old like Pie old.
Things in my past I can never change.
[Aug 6, 2006 8:12:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rwdw1987

That has its' own unique problems, though. You have to get into medium-high spreads if you ever want that auction to end, or you'll just have two people one-upping each other for days. Medium-high spreads don't seem to be beloved.

How about not having the medium-high spread kick in until the end at the bid snipe period.

Say a 5K spread until X time on the last day. After that a 10K (or more) spread until a certain number of hours have passed without a new bid.
Phin
Former King of Carpe Noctem
Normally drunk but playing anyway
Will Moo for poe.
================================
Reenie says, "And please stop thinking new players are a bunch of supid people."
Sometimes ye just need to say Moo
[Aug 6, 2006 9:00:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    phinthepirate [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

How about not having the medium-high spread kick in until the end at the bid snipe period.

Say a 5K spread until X time on the last day. After that a 10K (or more) spread until a certain number of hours have passed without a new bid.
I like :)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Aug 6, 2006 9:13:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Homiedirt

A bid is a statement of what a buyer is willing to pay for an item. The bidder in this case (Dolgan) said that he was willing to pay 360k for the item (the distillery). In the absence of provisions allowing for conditional bids, any other information included (the "unless I can get it for less" statement) is irrelevant. I think the seller would have fully been within her right to accept the bid as 360k or not at all.

The item wasn't sold for the highest bid, therefore this wasn't really an auction in my opinion. That doesn't make the transaction any less legitimate. Presumably, the buyer and seller were both happy, and that's what really matters.

But to answer the question that I think the OP was asking, making such a bid in an auction that does not specifically provide for non-concrete bids is bad form.
Homiedirt
Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad
You have received a puzzle challenge from Breathaliser.
[Aug 6, 2006 9:02:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skarfy

All the bidders holding their bids off till last minute is bad form. It turned the auction into a sealed auction. The person holding the auction clearly did not intend for the auction to be sealed; otherwise they would have asked for the bids to be submitted by PM. By using a public forum, they seek to have an open auction where the participants have a chance to respond to their adversaries bids.
Hanser, Malachite
Skarfy of Carpe Diem, Viridian
[Aug 7, 2006 1:48:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates