• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 85
Posts: 85   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7479 times and has 84 replies Next Thread
r_nevermind

What happened to sportsmanship?

I was "raised" as a little pirate with the understanding that sportsmanship was a part of the game. Whenever I play any parlor game, I always say "good game" or "good fight" afterwards. Always. Why is it that I seem to be left saying it to thin air about 80% of the time? Especially when I fight ultimates?
In today's familiar tournament for example, I won a HARD FOUGHT game against a particular ultimate rumbler, (no names but he stands at #20 right now) and he dismissed then send me a tell, "You didn't deserve to win either game." Now, I'm of the opinion that, as hard as I fought, I obviously did deserve it. If anyone can enlighten me as to why people are so pompous I'd be happy to listen, and I apologize for this long post, but I had to get this off my chest. Thank you.
----------------------------------------
~Mergen - Captain- Ira Deorum; Queen- Regnum Irae

Cheers to Nordenx (and Framling!) for the avatar!
[Aug 4, 2006 9:10:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Re: What happened to sportsmanship?

Seems like we just had this discussion...

In short, we all agree.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 4, 2006 9:14:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
t0tal

If you are going to say that he is number # 20 might as well say the name.

Viridian is a cesspool of rudeness. You get use to it or ye leave.
Jabez
[Aug 4, 2006 9:18:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Saint_Death

t0tal wrote: 

Other oceans aren't much better.
mcfunky wrote: 
you can't really complain... unless of course your name is saintdeath and complaining is your actual job.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Saint_Death at Aug 4, 2006 9:21:27 AM]
[Aug 4, 2006 9:21:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

On Viridian, it's only a good game if you win, obviously. Not say the OP does that, but plenty of people there stonewall you when they lose and only toss the gg when they win. =/
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Aug 4, 2006 9:21:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
r_nevermind

I agree that Viridian seems to be a cesspool of rudeness. I'd rather not get used to it, I'd rather do what I can to make it better. I try to be polite to everyone I meet, I say "good game"... Anyway, I just wanted to toss my 2 PoE out there.

[Aug 4, 2006 9:31:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
t0tal

t0tal wrote: 

Other oceans aren't much better.

Viridian is the worse I've encountered. I didn't even realize how bad it was until I started playing more on midnight again. It's like night and day. Midnight has it's own qualms but nothing like getting harrassed daily by some loser. I wish it was just a sfing problem but I've been bothered after I win in just about every puzzle on Viridian. I don't care if someone doesn't say gg. It beats omgz ur lucky u sux!
Jabez
[Edit 1 times, last edit by t0tal at Aug 4, 2006 9:38:42 AM]
[Aug 4, 2006 9:32:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
r_nevermind

Or telling me that I didn't deserve to win. Viridian is the only ocean I've really played on...I've got pirates on all of them, but very rarely even log onto them. Are the other oceans anywhere near as bad?

[Aug 4, 2006 9:54:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

I dont see sage to be much better. Although I rarely play parlour games I have never got a gg.
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[Aug 4, 2006 10:01:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Are the other oceans anywhere near as bad?

I'd say the best responses after a match are on Midnight, Cobalt, and Sage...in that order.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 4, 2006 10:02:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

I get hugs and banter after almost every match on Midnight. I think that's why I want to come back to Mid so badly.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Aug 4, 2006 10:07:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I get hugs and banter after almost every match on Midnight. I think that's why I want to come back to Mid so badly.

*hugs*
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Aug 4, 2006 10:34:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ninja277

I find Midnight by far the most polite in parlor games. I find Cobalt the worst. When I won a familiar tourney on Cobalt, I had approx. 2 minutes of hate tells. When I lost in the finals on Midnight in two familiar tourneys, I received some nice tells from random mates saying nice job etc.

Viridian is not much better. You will never see a good game from anyone and if they do say anything it is *ur luky!!!* or something along those lines. What really bothers me about Viridian is the poor winners. I have had people that I have lost to in whatever particular game send me tells after with the *u suk* or a yawn with no competition to follow.

I think it is quite funny, and a little banter never hurt anyone, but some people do get carried away.
Tristan

All Oceans
[Aug 4, 2006 11:45:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
foudetimbres

I have to disagree with Tristan here that when I won my familiar most of the tells I received were congatulations. I can't honestly remember whether there were any negative responses.

It is true that even though I am a top 20 rumbler, from time to time I get people saying that I won purely due to luck, or that I cheated. Most of the time I try to say "Good game" or "Good fight" if i have time before my opponent rushes off, even when I have been beaten and feel really annoyed (mainly with myself).
Dirtyfoot
Senior Officer of the British Eagles

Eurydice wrote: 
Hee! I like that Glaucus was forced to take the name "Glaucus" because that was the sound you made in your throat before spitting the winning gum.

[Aug 4, 2006 1:12:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
r_nevermind

Okay, so is it just ultimate puzzlers that get congratulations? I sent a congratulatory tell to the winner of the tournament, too.

[Aug 4, 2006 1:59:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

It's not everyone that does it, I have had several lose to me the send me a tell saying, great job, that was an awesome match, or some such. Those people make it worth trying again the next time. I just /complain the ones who get truly nasty and the others aren't worth my time.
Jolyma

[Aug 4, 2006 2:20:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
metalnicka

I've won swordfights on Viridian for people to tell me I'm a hacker, or as plenty of the top ult swordfighters like to say, "u lucker".

I always say good game after match as it keeps a friendly atmosphere, and I love it when I get tells saying good game or well done after beating someone in PVP. I often praise them for their politeness and don't attack them again as they're nice people.
Panteraa is drinking and might be too busy to respond.
Formerly of Sage Ocean/Free Harmonica Lessons/Tea and Strumpets.
Lovely avatar courtesy of the lovely Tilinka.
[Aug 4, 2006 3:27:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

From what I've seen, SFers are a rude bunch, and Drinkers are generally polite, or at least politer. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that you can stall 30 secs on your first turn of your next match to tell an opponent good game, but from what I've experienced, I've rarely been called lucky in drinking, which is essentially what the game is, and I get called lucky or a cheater in SF quite often.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Aug 4, 2006 3:38:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sed729

/me LUCKS, UNFS, and TUGGLES D! You get em on Virid too!
Beebe
Blar wrote: 
It *was* special, and now i'm sober.

[Aug 4, 2006 8:44:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
P1P3L1N3

Copied chat wrote: 
Squashed is eliminated!
Your standing in Swordfighting went down and is now Grand-Master in the whole ocean.
Game over. Winner: *.
* tells you, "you suck i didnt even get my instakill out"
* is eliminated!
Game over. Winner: Squashed.
Squashed says, ''Good game. :)"
* tells you, "right"
* tells you, "your side was crappy"
* tells you, "lol"
* tells you, "i had like 3x10 triple if you wouldnt hace died last time"
Squashed is eliminated!
Game over. Winner: *
* says, "yep"
Squashed is eliminated!
Game over. Winner: *
* tells you, "theres my insta"
* tells you, "not that big though"
* tells you, "small"
You told * "I can speak English, I obviously know that small is the antonym of big."
* is sword fighting and might be too busy to respond.
* tells you, "well obviosly u dont because that was one small instakill not a big one"
You told * "So you're saying that I don't know how to speak English because I know that big is the opposite of small?

He then preceded on quietly with his swordfighting, and I am sorry that I got angry, but continuously harrassing people isn't nice.

- Pipeline,
:(
Pipeline of Viridian
[Aug 4, 2006 9:03:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TianX9

I've muted perhaps 25% of Viridian ultimate SFers, though admittedly I keep a couple of the especially stupid ones unmuted for comedic value. The best tells comes from those that still demand you acknowledge that they're better than you after you beat them 11-2 in a set of 13.

But, yeah. Midnight's definitely the best place if you're looking for sport, I only hang around Viridian when I'm willing to put up with the idiots long enough to take their money.
[Aug 6, 2006 6:16:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

If you type "gg" after every single game, then it's a meaningless gesture. Not every game is a good game.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Aug 8, 2006 10:01:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BootHook

mat wrote: 
If you type "gg" after every single game, then it's a meaningless gesture. Not every game is a good game.

If you type "gg" after every single game, then you'll eventually get responses like "No it wasn't" and "You keep telling yourself that".
Bug: Fix the multi-row sprinkles in Rumble

Rumbling Guide 1
Rumbling Guide 2
Rumble Videos
[Aug 8, 2006 12:36:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

If you type "gg" after every single game, then you'll eventually get responses like "No it wasn't" and "You keep telling yourself that".

You keep telling yourself that.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Aug 8, 2006 12:54:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cnj6768

Regardless of the personal maturity level of the players that you go up against in any type of carousing, it's a good rule of thumb to always behave in a good manner. It does not matter if they are no good at losing, or winning. It matters that YOU are good at it. And that my friends, is GOOD sportsmanship.
-Cpt. JNC of Di Cerberus/ Queen of Arcana Imerii
[Aug 8, 2006 7:37:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.artificialintel.org    carrienjerry2002    GBG68 [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Since this discussion is taking place twice....

Me, on another forum, sentiments haven't changed wrote: 
See, I have a policy. I don't say anything to anyone - unless you try to sit at my table a third time in a row. If I want to play sets I'm not going to use the tables to do it.

I don't do it as an "unsportsmanlike" thing, I do it because I got sick of the responses. I've had politer responses on Sage after pounding someone into the ground after they random challenged me. I gave their PoE back afterwards too though since i wasn't paying attention. Shouldn't have been wagering at all. Distinguished isn't my rating in ANY single challenge game.

So if I ditch a table after the game without saying anything, it's not done to offend, it's done because I'm sick of being told "lucky' after sending a carefully planned 1x4, 2xN, 3xOff the screen insta at someone , I'm sick of being told "U cheated" after working the holes properly in TD, I'm sick of being told "i reprtd u for hax" after smashing someone in rumble - whether by strikes or speed sprinkles.

For me - it's not the last game that's important, no matter how well it went, it's the next one. I'm an adreneline junkie, once the rush is gone I need a new fix. There's a reason I chase War Frigates in a sloop for sinking battles, it's not just the "my crew's might goes off the charts on a bigger ship" it's not just the "You're undermanned I don't need to take an undermanned ship out myself" mentality, it's the "You hit me 4 times and I'm dead, what a rush" mentality.

There will always be jerk, and they will always hurt people who aren't jerks, just keep doing what you did. Pound the jerks into the ground at every opportunity. Or alternatively let me know who they are and I'll do it. Just because....

Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Aug 8, 2006 7:56:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

**sigh**

I love Viridian, I really do, but 3 times today in a rumble tournament did I think maybe all those people who stereotype Viridian might be right. I don't play other oceans, except occasionally Ice and Hunter, so I don't know.

First, I have a wonderful llittle fight going with this lovely person when a third party starts "announcing" like it's a boxing match. After the nicities at the end, I asked if she knew him, she responded no, I thought he was YOUR friend. I said no he must be a random annoyance. So I send him a tell saying if he ever does it again I will blackspot him or complain him. He says, "You aren;t the first to tell me that." Then, 5 minutes later he tells me, I petitioned and I was told it isn't spam because I wasn't repeating the same thing over and over so there.

Next, I beat an ultimate who has a hammer with my rope. Not skin-of-your teeth beating either. I clearly won the game. (My screen was barely half full). He says, "you're lucky" and laughed. I chose to take it as a joke, so I went on to my next match, where after trouncing the guy, i said, "good game" to be polite and he responded "screw u" which apparently doesn't filter. So I /blackspot and /complain him...but apparently I should have switched the order because 3 hours later the guy was still running around the oceans.

So if you are reading this, and you are one of these people, or someone like them, if you can't win or lose gracefully, just KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us with the bitter anger you spew forth when you lose.

**end rant**
Jolyma

[Aug 9, 2006 12:01:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Un_taint_ed

Don't ruin the game for the rest of us with the bitter anger you spew forth when you lose.

I couldn't agree more.

Why is it that people seem to take all losses personally. If I game was a close one, then it would usually be a fun one, hence deserving of some recognition of the opponent ie a good game or equivalent. However if the game was clearly one-sided, then perhaps a 'good game' may not be appropriate. Nobody says that you have to like it when you lose, just don't take it personally and get really angry at your opponent.

Another thing that annoys me is when I beat an Ult and cause them to drop to Leg, then recieve hate tells about how they lost their ult and want to hunt me down, or how it took them so long to get it. My response: Sure, come hunt me down, I will beat you again, and if you got ult once surely you could get it again.

Dphoenix,
Venting himself.
~ Dphoenix ~

blackmaria wrote:

Your pixelated morality is a beakon for us all.

[Aug 9, 2006 3:31:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BootHook

I love Viridian, I really do, but 3 times today in a rumble tournament did I think maybe all those people who stereotype Viridian might be right. I don't play other oceans, except occasionally Ice and Hunter, so I don't know.

Between Cobalt, Midnight, Viridian, and Sage... Viridian is the nicest toward turbo-sprinklers. Midnight and Sage are the worst toward turbo-sprinklers.

The one thing that bothers me about Viridian is the number of people that search the inns for ables, and directly challenges them to expensive SF games.
Bug: Fix the multi-row sprinkles in Rumble

Rumbling Guide 1
Rumbling Guide 2
Rumble Videos
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BootHook at Aug 9, 2006 8:21:46 AM]
[Aug 9, 2006 8:13:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
r_nevermind

**sigh**

First, I have a wonderful llittle fight going with this lovely person when a third party starts "announcing" like it's a boxing match. After the nicities at the end, I asked if she knew him, she responded no, I thought he was YOUR friend. I said no he must be a random annoyance. So I send him a tell saying if he ever does it again I will blackspot him or complain him. He says, "You aren;t the first to tell me that." Then, 5 minutes later he tells me, I petitioned and I was told it isn't spam because I wasn't repeating the same thing over and over so there.

Next, I beat an ultimate who has a hammer with my rope. Not skin-of-your teeth beating either. I clearly won the game. (My screen was barely half full). He says, "you're lucky" and laughed. I chose to take it as a joke, so I went on to my next match, where after trouncing the guy, i said, "good game" to be polite and he responded "screw u" which apparently doesn't filter. So I /blackspot and /complain him...but apparently I should have switched the order because 3 hours later the guy was still running around the oceans.

So if you are reading this, and you are one of these people, or someone like them, if you can't win or lose gracefully, just KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Don't ruin the game for the rest of us with the bitter anger you spew forth when you lose.

**end rant**

Jolyma, I've watched you play, and I think I can pretty well guarantee to anyone that you don't win through luck. :) My opinion, you clearly deserve you ultimate, and I wish all players were as good at winning and losing as you are.

Regardless of the personal maturity level of the players that you go up against in any type of carousing, it's a good rule of thumb to always behave in a good manner. It does not matter if they are no good at losing, or winning. It matters that YOU are good at it. And that my friends, is GOOD sportsmanship.

Jnc - I love you my friend. You said EXACTLY what I've been trying to say for a week. <huggles>

[Aug 9, 2006 11:14:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 85   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates