• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11032 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
Rexie

Rexelita's Memorizing Midnight - Aug 2006 Edition

Yarr! Calling all ye scurvy dogs who lub to explore the Midnight Ocean.

As promised, here is the August memming event. Starting noonish on August 13th through August 25th, a group of volunteer charters will be spending their time charting ye wherever yer heart desires. The format for this offering of memming assistance is different from events past where an entire weekend left charters and participants sleep-deprived and seeing stars long after the event. This event will be a bit more relaxed and will run a bit longer. Participants will be encouraged to join the crew for the two week period to nav, pillage, and live the life of a normal pirate. Harr! Think of it as a little piratey vacation from yer usual in-game pursuits (to some long-time royals and captains, this may be just the break you need!). Stay as long as ye like, whether it be a few days to get certain stubborn dots, or a bit longer.
It's a rolling event, loosely structured. Jes check /cwho The Philanthropist or /who the individual pirates to see which volunteer charter is available from the list below. Check their /away message and ye'll know who's up for charting.

Loaner Sloops are once again available!
Instead of dragging yer sloop to a remote part of the ocean ye don't normally travel, use one of ours. Terms of use: Use only our ships with our permission. Return the ship to the port designated on the Officer bulletin board at the end of yer memming session and restock it (replace what ye used). Sweet deal, huh? Pretty much any sloop that isn't locked is available. Be sure to check the Officer Bulletin Board and hold just in case.

Dead & Training - Last Call?
I submitted a request to turn on the inactive dots in hopes that this memming event could serve as a "last call" to memorize the dead and training points. Alas, no last call will be granted. But we can still share memming goodness and help others earn the coveted portrait globe!

List of volunteer charters:
Rexelita (Everything) Charter/Pillager!
Ruhannah (Everything) Guest Charter - specializing in Jobbed Memmers
JoseGringo (Everything) Guest Charter
Anubis (has a little to do and a little he can chart) Guest Charter
Bendeall (All Live+) Guest Charter
Thunderbird (Most Live + All Dead) Guest Charter
Arrlene (All Live+) Guest Charter
Ceylon (All Live+) Guest Charter
Spelunk (All Live+) Guest Charter
Truvie (All Live+) Guest Charter - specializing in Jobbed Memmers
Muffynz (All Live+) Guest Charter
Graill (Most Live) Guest Charter
Maltorg (Most Live) Guest Charter - specializing in Jobbed Memmers
Piplicus (Most Live) Guest Charter
Knarf (All Live) Guest Charter
Daleen Guest Charter
Dolgan (All Live+) Guest Charter
Jacobey Guest Charter
RocketBoy (All Live) Guest Charter
Fullbeard (Most Live) Guest Charter
Ironguts Guest Charter - specializing in Jobbed Memmers
Meimeichan (Everything) Guest Charter
Angara (Everything) Guest Charter
Bisquick (Most Live) Guest Charter
IantheKorean (Most Live) Guest Charter
Amilliss (Most Live) Guest Charter
Dragona (Most Live) Guest Charter
Bridalgirl Guest Charter - specializing in Jobbed Memmers
Blackfletch Guest Charter/Memmer
Adesh Guest Charter
(If you have "Everything" and I booched it by listing "All Live," be sure to holler!) We'll be tagteaming the lot o' ye, and I'll be updating here as more pirates volunteer.

If ye'd like to volunteer, please let me know. Looking for volunteer charters and sailors. Gentle reminder that volunteer charters and memmers will be asked to become Honorary Officers for the event. Volunteer charters will chart ships fer memmers and volunteer sailors will sail with memmers to help speed the memming process. Sailors might find themselves in battle, so ye may wish to use an alt. Great opportunity to work on sails and build crew fame while helping someone achieve a goal.

Thread Table of Contents
"What's Memorizing?"
"Sounds like fun! How do I participate?"
"Once I'm in, how do I get charted?"
"How can I get the most out of this cool event?" (aka Tips & Tricks)
"Anything else I need to know?" (aka Please Be Nice)

"What's Memorizing?"
Bit of background info, first. To sail a ship anywhere, ye need a chart. Charts show ye the location of the league points (little dots between islands) ye need to travel to get to the island ye wish to go. But over time, charts age and need to be replaced. Charts are obtained by purchasing them at shipyards or by pillaging them at sea. Shipyards only sell charts from colonized islands within an archipelago. Charts which carry ye to other archipelagos (called interarchs) and charts leading from uncolonized islands can only be pillaged at sea. When ye pillage at sea, ye never know what sort of chart ye'll win. Could be one ye already have and don't need or it could be the one ye've been lookin' fer.

But imagine ye don't need a chart. Imagine ye can go anywhere, anytime ye wished without needing to buy a chart or asking someone who does. Ye can participate in sailing competitions that take ye all over the ocean without worrying ye'll get stuck somewhere. That's what memming does fer ye!

So again, what is memorizing? If a chart is in yer possession, the league points are blue. If a chart is on the ship, those points are purple. If a league point is in yer pirate's permanent memory, it's brown. To turn a league point brown, ye must sail over that league point many times while doing "Fine" or better in the duty navigation puzzle. Doing better than "Fine" does not improve the probability of memming it (so no, pulling Incredibles all night long will not shorten the time ye need to mem). It's generally accepted that ye need 2-7 passes to make a point permanent. My experience is that it takes about 5. The actual number of times ye must pass a point is random. Every once in awhile, ye find a really stubborn point that takes dozens of passes. But once ye have it, it is there forever and memorizing can be a very rewarding experience.

"Sounds like fun! How do I participate?"
Ye'll need to provide yer own ship, jobbers, and supplies fer this event. A loaner sloop may be available, but ye'll still need to provide yer own supplies.
To participate ye have two possible options.
1. Become an Honorary Officer!
Ye'll need to join The Philanthropist and be made an Honorary Officer fer the event. Be sure to clear it with yer captain before ye leave yer crew, and with yer flag if yer titled. This is the best option because a charter can simply hop aboard and chart ye without trading the vessel deed. Ye can remain in the nav puzzle and keep yer sails full without interruption (called Power Memming!).
Ye can kick it up a notch by bringing a friend along to help sail while ye mem - this gets ye up to speed quicker when ye start and turn about to dodge brigands.
2. Sign up as a Jobbed Memmer.
This option is only available to royals and captains, if requested. Ye will need to leave the navigation puzzle to mem if yer going solo, but it can be done effectively if timed properly. Having a partner to help ye on the ship (sailing, maybe trading the deed instead so ye stay at max nav) would really help with this method.

About Jobbed Memmers
Jobbed Memmers must be limited because it slows things down considerably fer mates to keep trading deeds every time they want to be charted. Therefore, out of consideration to the volunteers and participants, only royals and captains will be granted Jobbed Memmer status, if requested. Please respect that the charter(s) on duty may ask ye wait an hour or more before ye can comfortably be accommodated as Jobbed Memmer.
If yer a Jobbed Memmer, be sure to have yer deed and destination ready. Please keep yer pirate ready to trade the deed back. Much delay comes from pirates who sit and look at the charted route instead of trading back the deed so the charter can move on to the next pirate. Also, the longer everyone waits at a league point to be charted, the more bilge and carp rise, while sails and nav drop.

"Once I'm in, how do I get charted?"
First, since this event will take place over a much longer time period, check to make sure that charters are on-duty and not out pillaging or docktarting or pokering. Then, call out over /crew yer ship name and destination. This lets the on-duty charters know what ye need and the appropriate charter who can cover that route will board yer vessel. Once the charter is on board, ye can request a custom route if ye need one.
Janebob crew chats, "Aggressive Sunfish, Guava to Cnossos."
Yer charter will quickly board yer ship, chart ye, leave, ye rehire the lost bot, and away ye go! Yer sails and nav (hopefully full!) should stay intact.

"How can I get the most out of this cool event?"
* If yer looking fer advice on what to mem during this exciting event, I'd recommend getting all those pesky interarchs first: Oyster-Park (Diamond-Coral), Cnossos-Guava (Diamond-Emerald), Turtle-Jorvik (Diamond-Ruby), Papaya-Remora (Diamond-Sapphire), Byrne-Remora (Diamond-Sapphire), Monsoon-Chaparral (Coral-Jet), Heph's Forge-Spring (Jet-Emerald), Tinga-Orca (Emerald-Opal), Wrasse-Ostreum (Emerald-Pearl), Nuptial-Luthien (Pearl-Ruby). After that, go fer the routes which ye travel the most.
* If ye post yer known world and link a charter to it, it can be visually referenced and it will be much easier to chart the points ye don't have yet.
* Ye might want to tagteam fer this event. If ye have another hearty who likes to mem, ye could mem different routes during the event and chart each other later.

Fer yer reference pleasure. Please note, training and dead points are not mem-able.
Training routes are in green.
Dead points (approximate locations - but should be correct) are in blue.
Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Coral, Sapphire, Jet, Opal, Pearl, Rexelita's Known World

"Anything else I need to know?"
Do not request charting until you are stopped at a league point and are free of brigand activity. Charters are not to be used fer sea battles. To request a charter right before a battle or possible battle is rude and is grounds fer event dismissal. Please make sure the water is clear before requesting a charter aboard yer vessel.

Lastly, have fun!
----------------------------------------
R3><3L33T4
Jeridus says, "See, I dunno about that, I would think Rexi being evil would be like only relative evil. Like some sort of diabolical kitten"
[Edit 19 times, last edit by Rexie at Aug 11, 2006 5:34:27 PM]
[Aug 1, 2006 9:45:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Re: Rexelita's Memorizing Midnight - Aug06

I'm in, my known world looks like this (dead points are in an alternate color, partly since I know they won't be useful this time around).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Aug 1, 2006 10:28:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DavidJames

I hope the OMs make an exception too Rexie. I love these events. PM me if you need anything from me. =)
Sanpedro,

Seething.
[Aug 2, 2006 5:57:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Rexe, I have 15 sloops yer more than welcome to use for this event if you need them. I dont use them so you are welcome to hold the deeds for the duration.

Or, if it would be easier - I can give all the deeds to an alt and put the alt in your crew. (SQUEEE 14 of these sloops are from my collection of renames!)
Nevermind on all of that, I will be joining your crew for this event (if you will have me!) and I will bring the 15 sloops with me, for any and all to use!
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 2, 2006 8:19:56 AM]
[Aug 2, 2006 7:26:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bonbon

Rexelita! Another one! Yay!

Since I managed to finish memming all the live points (and some of the dead/training points, too) at your last event (Thanks again!), I'll offer to help as a charter.

If you manage to get the dead routes and training routes turned back on, I'll work on those as well. (*keeps her fingers crossed)
Arrlene
[Aug 2, 2006 7:54:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeanaMO

Rexie-
Count me in as a guest charter!

Cey,
hoping they turn on the dead stuff ;-)
Ceylon
SO of The Forsaken
Sultan's Sword - Midnight Ocean
[Aug 2, 2006 8:14:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spelunk

Add me in as a Charter. I'll even come and join the flag this time :)

Now of course, if you DO get the dead points reactivated, I'll also work on getting those. I only need the darned training routes :(
[Aug 2, 2006 9:54:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Truvie

Count me in as a guest charter! Like Spe, I only need those training routes...have all the rest and am happy to share!

Unlike Spelunk, I can't as Captain and Queen change crews for the event, but will still be happy to take the extra time for folks who need to deed swap.
Truvie

Captain of Steel Magnolias
Queen of Liberty Hull
Cerulean

Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. It hurts you a lot more than it hurts them.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Truvie at Aug 2, 2006 11:24:19 AM]
[Aug 2, 2006 9:57:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

I'd be happy to be a guest charter since I finished the ocean during your last event (still got 3 training routes to go if they happen to turn them back on) but other than that, I have everything.

~Maestro Muffy
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Aug 2, 2006 10:24:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I think I should point out that the grey points on my linked map aren't memorized. Cause I don't have everything ;).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
[Aug 2, 2006 11:26:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Zomg! You guys are doing it again! All of you! <3 You're bringing the warm fuzzy! Aaaaah! *hugs and squeezes everyone* *giggles*
R3><3L33T4
Jeridus says, "See, I dunno about that, I would think Rexi being evil would be like only relative evil. Like some sort of diabolical kitten"
[Aug 2, 2006 12:07:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

Awesome, Rexie. I hope to be there - and the fact that you're doing this over a couple weeks means I might actually get a chance to get online once in a while to get some memming done.

I don't have a whole lot left to do, so, if I get the ocean finished, perhaps I can help take some of the burden of charting for folks. As of right now, I have all of Sapphire, Diamond, Coral, Emerald, and Jet complete. I have most of Ruby done and about half each of Pearl and Opal.

Thanks again for doing this, mate. :D
Fullbeard
[Aug 2, 2006 1:47:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spiderprints

YAY Rexe!!!

I have all live points memmed and will be more than happy to be a charter.
I also have all the dead routes and a few training memmed. If tehy get turned on I can chart them as well and hopefully pick up those last few training routes!
Knarf
of Drunken Amore
[Aug 3, 2006 4:25:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I'll make my way over for a bit to get the last 5 or so league points in Pearl, before doing guest charting.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Aug 3, 2006 4:51:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Maltorg

I have submitted a request to turn on the inactive dots in hopes that this memming event could serve as a "last call" to memorize the dead and training points since there wasn't much (if any?) notice before the dots were shut off. If my request is honored, I'll definitely let you know!

God I hope this happens. I'm so there if so. Thanks again Rexie fer keepin the memming fun alive! :)
** Maltorg ** of Midnight
aka "Salty Malt"
Trader of Mice of Vengeance
[Aug 3, 2006 7:31:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    iron_ace    IronAce88 [Link]  Go to top 
DavidJames

Cheers to that Malt.
Sanpedro,

Seething.
[Aug 3, 2006 8:19:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rockitboy

I'd be happy to offer my charting services up for this great event. I have all live points done, no dead or training routes. I have sloops all over and I'd be willing to offer those up as well.
Rocketboy
Cursed Isles, ridding the ocean of poor BNAV one ship at a time.
[Aug 3, 2006 2:10:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morgarth

Yarr!

Share the love OOO - give us back our dead points so we can frantically relaxingly mem those few that we still need! :)

Rexie - I can definitely guest chart here and there and will join ye in crew for a few days over the middle weekend (or more than that if OOO is nice to us).

This is awesome and I'm glad you're organizing this dead or no dead points (but OOO loves it's happy lunatics memmers and will do the right thing!)

See you behind the Nav wheel.

Jacobey
[Aug 3, 2006 2:30:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Thunderbird (Most Live+All Dead) Guest Charter

Fixed, since apparently Rexie's forgetting to ;).
[Aug 3, 2006 2:46:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dolgan

After all the charting assistance you gave in the first event, I would love to give something back, Rexe. Please put me down as a charter.

I have all live points and all dead points except the northern-most one on Angelfish - Durian.

I can also spare a lot of ships in Pearl if needs be.

Any news on the Dead and Training Points from the OM's yet at all?

Cheers

Dolgan
Dolgan

Buying: lime dye!!
[Aug 3, 2006 3:23:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daleenmarine

Even after all the warm fuzzies when we talked last night, you forgot to put me down for charting of everything.
/e whimpers
HuskerMike wrote: 
It feels like you're on a jihad against me.

Antix wrote: 
And if he turns out to be an innocent lets not remember that fact at all.

[Aug 3, 2006 6:17:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Meep!

*updates thread*
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 3, 2006 6:24:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Dolgan wrote:

Any news on the Dead and Training Points from the OM's yet at all?

None yet, but I'm still hopeful. We have some time before the event, so I still have my fingers crossed. *squeezes fingers harder*
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 3, 2006 6:31:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I have submitted a request to turn on the inactive dots in hopes that this memming event could serve as a "last call" to memorize the dead and training points since there wasn't much (if any?) notice before the dots were shut off. If my request is honored, I'll definitely let you know!

/e begs.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Aug 3, 2006 7:10:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ironguts

I'm willing to help chart as well. I have most of the live points but alas! no dead ones.

Like Truvie, I can't leave my position (well, I might be able to; they are a nice group and might make me the queen again. )

I have everything except these: Jet (Lagniappe - Dugong), and Opal (Boyle - Flow).
Ironguts
Cerulean - Plunder Inc.
Something of Boochin' Katfish
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Ironguts at Aug 3, 2006 8:26:15 PM]
[Aug 3, 2006 8:17:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.boochinkatfish.net [Link]  Go to top 
mercuryjen

Put me down as a charter. I've got everything memmed thanks to the first two mem events.
Meimeichan
semi un-retired
from a lot of places, most recently Marooned Marauders
[Aug 3, 2006 10:49:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nalle5

Love to help on this one as well, Rexelita.

I have everything memmed.
Angara
Midnight

This account is retired and PM's sent here will not be answered
I am now using my Angara account

[Aug 4, 2006 12:11:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bisquick

Wow, I'm pretty sure I'll be in this event this time. I'm really hoping for those dead routes. :)

I have all live except 6 routes between uncolonized/outpost islands in Opal, Coral, and Sapphire so I'm willing to chart whatever I have for someone else if needed.
Bisquick - Midnight (turned Cerulean), and all other oceans
Captain of Ransack Marauders
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bisquick at Aug 4, 2006 12:09:36 PM]
[Aug 4, 2006 12:08:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    http://bisqy.livejournal.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

And updated again! Woot!
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 4, 2006 2:30:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cacophoenix

Wheee! Thank You .. Thank You so much! You guys rock!. Time to renew my subscription.

Noq.

(Praying and hoping desperately that the Ringers will turn dead points back on for this wonderful event).
Noquarter in Viridian and Hunter.
Timmons in Sage and Midnight.

[Aug 4, 2006 3:27:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates