• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2491 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Mistermatt

Midnight + Doubloons = Pwnage....???

Alright, a few months ago I discovered that Cobalt is the same as Viridian except characters, doubloons and subscriptions shoppes, politics, and all that jazz, then I went on to midnight and thought:

Offerz thought,

This ocean is so much better than viridian besides the fact that it doesn't have doubloons."

Then I thought, what makes Viridian and Cobalt so special?
Why isn't there a doubloon version of Midnight?
Post your oppinions here~~

EDIT: To help Macgreggor's brain to cope
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mistermatt at Aug 1, 2006 9:04:55 PM]
[Aug 1, 2006 8:56:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Magus_M

Re: Midnight + Doubloons = Pwnage....???

Uhm, Cobalt is a subscription ocean....
MacGreggor, Mostly retired.
-
Scupperer wrote: 
Mac, you got it tough; no one appreciates the hard work and time you put into the game...

-
Jolyma wrote: 
Oh wait....I've been doing Mac's GF's already....

[Aug 1, 2006 9:02:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mistermatt

Uhm, Cobalt is a subscription ocean....

Well yeah I know that, but why were they picked to be duplicates instead of Midnight?
[Aug 1, 2006 9:03:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

For a change in scenery.

Faulkston,
:-)
[Aug 1, 2006 9:06:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Because Midnight's islands were designed before the whole size designation stuff came into being. It has a disproportionate number of large islands compared to the other oceans.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Aug 1, 2006 9:44:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lbm

order of ocean creation -

Azure (the 'original' test ocean - eventually eaten by sea monsters)
Midnight (just like Azure but with better pwnage)
Ice (new test ocean - too cold for sea monsters to eat)
Viridian (where green is the greeniest) / Cobalt (Viridian's good twin)
Sage (because ye just can't have enough green)
Hunter (okay, now we have enough green!)

edited : Thanks Mlik :)

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by lbm at Aug 2, 2006 10:25:42 AM]
[Aug 1, 2006 10:24:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

Viridian (where green is the greeniest)
Cobalt (Viridian's good twin)
Hunter (now, we have enough green)

and somewhere in there we got the 'new' test ocean Ice

No,Azure sunk under the waves and rose back up above the sea and is know as Midnight.
[Aug 1, 2006 11:42:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lbm

No, because it still existed during the early days of Midnight. My very first sloop on Azure was sunk during the testing of ship sinking. My bestest pirate buddy replaced it on Midnight as a Hearty Day's prezzie. (huggles Dragonlilly)

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Aug 1, 2006 11:52:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

No, because it still existed during the early days of Midnight. My very first sloop on Azure was sunk during the testing of ship sinking. My bestest pirate buddy replaced it on Midnight as a Hearty Day's prezzie. (huggles Dragonlilly)

well,it just sunk under waves
[Aug 1, 2006 11:59:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

got a screenshot of that?
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Aug 2, 2006 12:02:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Would you just die?

Please?
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Aug 2, 2006 12:35:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Would you just die?

Please?

I suggest you read the White Flag thread. I'm working on it.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Aug 2, 2006 12:36:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

Would you just die?

Please?

tweezers and a match. I hear orange juice works well, too.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Aug 2, 2006 12:38:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Then I thought, what makes Viridian and Cobalt so special?
Post your oppinions here~~

Why isn't there a doubloon version of Midnight? Because - from my understanding - Cobalt was originally supposed to be the doubloon ocean, but someone in OOO decided that it would be a better idea to release a new subsciption ocean as well as the experimental doubloon server because people will still want to play that particular layout.

It's simple, if the doubloon experiment had gone bust and noone used it, Viridian would likely have been deleted and we'd be playing on Cobalt now. Capice?
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Aug 2, 2006 3:30:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

I'd love a doubloon version of Midnight - that'd be a lot of fun. They could tweak up the island sizes; reducing some of the smaller larges to Mediums, designate a few more as outposts.

I always liked the arch layout and scale of Midnight - I still think it's the best.
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Aug 2, 2006 6:50:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Why isn't there a doubloon version of Midnight? Because - from my understanding - Cobalt was originally supposed to be the doubloon ocean, but someone in OOO decided that it would be a better idea to release a new subsciption ocean as well as the experimental doubloon server because people will still want to play that particular layout.

It's simple, if the doubloon experiment had gone bust and noone used it, Viridian would likely have been deleted and we'd be playing on Cobalt now. Capice?

My understanding is that it was an issue of timing as much as anything else. Once they decided they wanted both a new sub ocean and a new doub ocean, there wasn't time to prepare two sets of islands, so they just made both new oceans the same.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Aug 2, 2006 6:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
xXRaikkoXx

I think I heard somewhere that Viridian and Cobalt were released at the same time.
Toilet says, "I R baboon"
[Aug 2, 2006 8:39:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

Viridian (where green is the greeniest)
Cobalt (Viridian's good twin)
Hunter (now, we have enough green)

and somewhere in there we got the 'new' test ocean Ice

Ice was created before Cobalt & Viridian. When it first openend up, everyone got 100 doubloons for testing. Then there were big blockade parties on the three large islands before the ocean was wiped and turned into a normal subscription ocean.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Aug 2, 2006 9:43:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
lbm

Thank ye! corrected my list. :)

[Aug 2, 2006 10:26:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates