• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1507 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
redvirgo

Manners in card playing

Although this could apply to all oceans, it happened to me on Midnight.
I was playing spades with a partner who bid a nil bid. I in turn played a two of clubs (the only club in my hand). My partner in turn stated i was "stupid" for doing so because I was suppose to cover her. (my strategy was to get rid of my club so I can use my spades to gain the win, this was played in the beginning so i assumed everyone had a higher club.) I couldn't tell my partner what I was doing because that would've constituted table talk. My partner also stating something along the lines of how "they take the game seriously and have little patience for idiot moves"

Mates i'm here to have fun on the game. I realize when there is a wager involved ppl get a little on the cranky side if they are losing. However, there is no reason to resort to nastiness and name calling. It's just a game, so lets be nice to each other.
----------------------------------------
Prexious
Cobalt
[Jul 31, 2006 4:47:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    melukrainec@rogers.com [Link]  Go to top 
Tantalus90

Re: Manners in card playing

Sorry you ended up with a rude partner

The oceans are getting full of rude people

But a suggestion on spades, I really only partner people I know and trust, a spades partner who hints with their cards at the rest of their hand is a good partner indeed.

I suggest leading your high cards when your partner has bid a nil, if you hit the suit that they have none of you will soon see the kings and aces your partner dumps on them , if possible keep coming back to that suit as often as you can , even a 2 in that suit either wastes an opponents trump or allows your P to dump another ace ........ or both :)

Least that is the way I try and play when my partner has bid nil

Hope it helps

Tant
Tantalus on Cobalt
Tantan on Hunter
[Jul 31, 2006 4:57:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redvirgo

Thanks Tant:)

My point is that we all have our strategies, whether everyone agrees with them or not. My actions didn't call for any name calling.

My lesson, only play spades with those you know. Lesson learned.
Prexious
Cobalt
[Edit 1 times, last edit by redvirgo at Jul 31, 2006 11:24:47 AM]
[Jul 31, 2006 11:01:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    melukrainec@rogers.com [Link]  Go to top 
TheSeahag

I feel your pain. I don't play cards very often, and sadly its for that very reason. I'd give yeh a hug if I didn't have scabies.

The oceans are getting full of rude people

QFT. Since the raw number of people playing is generally increasing with time, and the proportion of rude people remains constant, there are just a lot more of 'em out there I guess.

I've muted more people at the poker table than any other place in the YPP world. There's something about the group-based carousing puzzles that brings out the worst sometimes. Buck up though, there are still a few good eggs out there.
Briggs Says, "Dr. Hag is bringing the Prescription for pain!"
[Jul 31, 2006 11:16:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

Well, I think you're rude for stealing my icon!

(yes, I know it's one that is available to all by the game, but dernit, it's MINE!- yer gonna get pvp'd!)

grin
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Jul 31, 2006 11:29:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

People make mistakes.

You made a stupid mistake.

If you had good table manners, you would have apologized for making a stupid mistake.

I've made dumber mistakes at the spades table. But then, I don't have a problem being called an idiot for doing something idiotic. So when I was told I was an idiot, I could only agree.

May I suggest that if/once you are married you do not ever play bridge with your partner as partner? People have been killed over less!

Dylan
[Jul 31, 2006 11:37:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
windex_777

As I said in another thread, less whining and more pvp.

Is this seriously what it's come to these days? Everyone that calls you a poopoo head gets a forum thread?

Drabillord is a poopoo head because he wouldn't give me all of his cookies when I demanded them in a poker game yesterday.
~Redthepirate

"The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best." ~Will Rogers
[Jul 31, 2006 12:15:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Well heck....if you need a new spades partner....yell at me...i love playing spades with anyone....as long as its not someone who bets 13 no matter what you tell them. heh.

ps. red, i love your avatar
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Jul 31, 2006 2:32:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redvirgo

If pvp was our only option there wouldn't be a parley.

PS. I would consider that option however i'm just starting out on midnight
Prexious
Cobalt
[Jul 31, 2006 3:11:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    melukrainec@rogers.com [Link]  Go to top 
windex_777

If there was more pvp, there would be less parley.

If you ever want to practice your pvp, I know a flag that likes to play pvp!

ps. red, i love your avatar

Thanks! Scurvysoo did it for me! Definitely check her out!
~Redthepirate

"The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best." ~Will Rogers
[Edit 1 times, last edit by windex_777 at Jul 31, 2006 3:18:52 PM]
[Jul 31, 2006 3:16:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redvirgo

lol.. i'm interested.

I've been looking for a crew who does take to the high seas!!

send me a pm
Prexious
Cobalt
[Jul 31, 2006 3:36:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    melukrainec@rogers.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates