• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 105
Posts: 105   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10126 times and has 104 replies Next Thread
jackthedoboy

Pearl of Great price

The Pearl of great price is a christian church, with operations on both the Sage, and the Viridian. The Viridian church is located at Bigjesusfeak's shack, at Labrynth moors, and we are planning to move to a larger building on Lima. The Virdian church has just started, and has no current members. If you are a christian and want to be a part of ministry, send me a PM with yer Virdian pirates name. As believers, it is our duty to tell the world about Jesus' great love, and how they can be saved from thier sins. We believe in:
1. A real heaven and a real hell.
2.Jesus is the messiah.
3.The trinity; the father (God) the son (Jesus) and the holy spirit.
4. everything the bible tells us.
We do not follow a denomination, we simply believe in what the bible says, if its in the bible, its our belief.
----------------------------------------
Jackthedoboy on the sage, Bigjesusfeak on the virdian.
[Jul 30, 2006 8:38:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Saint_Death

Re: Pearl of Great price

What does the Bible say about blockades?
mcfunky wrote: 
you can't really complain... unless of course your name is saintdeath and complaining is your actual job.

[Jul 30, 2006 9:09:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sea_Blades

ehehe
Seablades
~Hunter
[Jul 30, 2006 9:56:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

Looking to buy Salvation, willing to pay up to 25poe.

Well I've seen some Bazaar things in my time, but this just makes me want to shout TITS. Who knows?
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PogoBeta at Jul 30, 2006 10:35:44 AM]
[Jul 30, 2006 10:35:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Moving this to Parley; the Bazaar is for buying and selling things and you appear not to be doing either!
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Jul 30, 2006 11:05:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RaggedAndy

... or pirates, for that matter? Or gambling, or violence with swords or fists, or drinking?

Doesn't an organized, presumeably conservative and evangelical, Christian movement within a pirate-themed game seem like an oxymoron of epic proportions, or is it just (admittedly cynical) me?

-- RaggedAndy
RaggedAndy, Senior Officer in Mermaid's Typhoon on the Meridian Ocean,
Vulfe, Officer in League of Shadows on Emerald,
and various alts elsewhere.
I'm a freaking old phart. Deal with it!
[Jul 30, 2006 2:34:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ABPeed [Link]  Go to top 
satin11

And here, I just thought it sounded rather silly... and, aye, bizarre. lol
~Satin~
Cobalt/Sage
Nem wrote: 
I think this is the first thread I've seen that claims there aren't enough 'donkeys' in the game. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong pirates.

[Jul 30, 2006 2:38:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/satin1111111/ [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

And here, I just thought it sounded rather silly... and, aye, bizarre. lol

yes, but the pun doesn't work if you spell "bizarre" correctly (since that's where the thread was started)
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 30, 2006 2:39:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0402/biblefactquiz.html

D.
[Jul 30, 2006 2:43:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
foudetimbres

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0402/biblefactquiz.html

D.

Great fun.
Dirtyfoot
Senior Officer of the British Eagles

Eurydice wrote: 
Hee! I like that Glaucus was forced to take the name "Glaucus" because that was the sound you made in your throat before spitting the winning gum.

[Jul 30, 2006 3:53:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Well, it may not make sense, but many Christians believe that if you're not saved, then you'll go to hell for all eternity. In their perspective, they're doing us a favor by witnessing to us in a pirate game.

My Bible-Fu is weak, so I don't know if there are any blockades mentioned. I do know that there are tons of land battles. The only real difference is choice of venue, right?
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jul 30, 2006 4:00:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Saint_Death

I guess the one about david and Goliath (not sure about the spelling) is obviously sloop sinks an undermanned Grand Frigate.
mcfunky wrote: 
you can't really complain... unless of course your name is saintdeath and complaining is your actual job.

[Jul 30, 2006 4:12:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Down wif babylon!

Twigsy,
now only owns one island.
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Jul 30, 2006 6:35:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RaggedAndy

Well, it may not make sense, but many Christians believe that if you're not saved, then you'll go to hell for all eternity.

I'm aware of that belief. I'm also of the opinion that it's remarkably presumptuous. I'll spare the forums further discussion, but if anyone wishes to pursue it they may contact me in IM here, or cross swords with me in a more appropriate forum, such as

#BEGIN SHAMELESS FLOGGING
my mailing list, The Demagogue Dialogue. (Survival hint: Read the paragraph titled "Mailing List Content" twice, then explore the archives before subscribing.)
#END SHAMELESS FLOGGING

In their perspective, they're doing us a favor by witnessing to us in a pirate game.

In my perspective, it's entirely and egregiously inappropriate. As I understand it, the social aspect of the game is supposed to contribute to the environment of the game, not provide an avenue for the incorporation of irrelevant Real Life philosophies.

<Insert Appropriate Deity Here> help 'em if they cross MY path...

-- RaggedAndy
RaggedAndy, Senior Officer in Mermaid's Typhoon on the Meridian Ocean,
Vulfe, Officer in League of Shadows on Emerald,
and various alts elsewhere.
I'm a freaking old phart. Deal with it!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by RaggedAndy at Jul 30, 2006 7:15:19 PM]
[Jul 30, 2006 7:14:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ABPeed [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

I am your Savoir. Devote your crew to me.
Don't pave me, please!
For real this time wrote: 
but I shall no longer take any active part in the game, on any ocean.

Join the local PPA - Puzzle Pirates Anonymous, coming to a town near you!
[Jul 30, 2006 7:21:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

I am your Savoir. Devote your crew to me.

this makes me want to start an Alt crew called Savior Faire.
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 30, 2006 7:25:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

<3
Don't pave me, please!

[Jul 30, 2006 8:36:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

The OP isn't trying to dockpress people into salvation, he's just letting people know that there's now a Christian church on Viridian. I can respect that, even if I don't share his beliefs.

Why defend him? Because he's not insane or pushy like most evangelists. He's not out making godhatesypp.com or spam-witnessing in Lima's chat circles (that I know of). He just made one forum post and left it at that. I want to encourage polite ministers. The other kind just encourage arms races, inquisitions, and lynchings.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jul 30, 2006 9:19:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

We do not follow a denomination, we simply believe in what the bible says, if its in the bible, its our belief.

So you believe in the litteral word of the bible as true?

Here's my problem with that: The bible includes everything from genesis to job. But it has been edited many, many times -- many books have been added or removed over the years.

Do you believe in all the gospels, or only the 4 that were approved by the male centric church to support the male dominated establishment around 250-400 AD?

Are you even aware that the traditional ordering of the new testament books is not in cronological order (like most of the old testament), but is deliberately mis-ordered, presumably to emphasize some books and minimize others?

Are you aware that this is NOT in the bible, but rather comes from RL politics -- three out of four roman rulers exiled people who did not agree with this, and then at the second council the bishops selected were those that agreed with one view and not the other?
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

Do you believe in ALL of the old testament? Do you permit people to eat pork?

How do you determine what you are supposed to do? Traditionally, people look at the bible, and anytime sometimes when they see someone doing something, they say "Ahh -- this must be an example, and we are to follow". And this despite that (A) Other times things done are not taken as examples, and (B) when things are laws for all time, they are clearly labled as such.

How do you deal with passages and words that cannot be translated because we have to guess at what the words mean, as they do not occur outside of the bible in any surviving hebrew texts? Have you actually read the old testament and if so, which version?

How do you deal with Paul's writings? He felt that the second coming would be in their lifetime; although he appears to have been wrong about that, do you feel that his writings based on that assumption -- stop worrying about this world, prepare for the next because it is coming real soon now (sounds like a software marketing pitch) -- still have validity?

What about revelations? Do you regard it as telling about some unknown, upcoming event, or do you accept the large amount of historical documention that shows it was talking about events of the time, and Rome at the time it was written?

Not considering the question of "Does god exist", or "Is god powerful", but do you feel that God is Good? Have you considered that he might have his own agenda? Do you consider it good/bad? Have you considered the question of whether or not God considers all people on this planet to be nothing more than tools for his plan? And if so, are you OK with being nothing more than a tool for Him to do what He wants with?

How about Job (the book)? "Satan" translates as advesary or opponent, not as an evil being. In Job, Satan isn't even shown as being evil. You know the story of Job, right? "Of course he worships you. It's a sound business decision". "OK, make his life miserable". "Done". "See, he still worships me. Hey, go one step further -- ruin his life". "Done". "See? I'm still considered great".

Is _THAT_ the God that you consider good and perfect? Have you forgotten that He hardened Pharoh's heart, and forced him to go back on his words, and chase the Isrealite's out of Egypt in the first place? For that matter, do you celebrate Passover every year?

I don't consider God to be perfect. I feel that He makes mistakes, has Ego problems, etc. I think he's as fallable as we are -- we are in his image, after all.

Oh -- finally -- what about the poems, plays, stories, and other old literature and fiction collected in the psalms -- do you regard those as God's word, or as the word of early authors and playrights?
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Jul 31, 2006 2:04:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phour

Although educational and enlightening, I seriously doubt this kid is going to read all that - much less understand it.
Familiar on Cobalt
[Jul 31, 2006 2:24:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    lyndi6384 [Link]  Go to top 
jackthedoboy

kk
[Jul 31, 2006 11:35:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Oh testify!
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Jul 31, 2006 11:43:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

Are you even aware that the traditional ordering of the new testament books is not in cronological order (like most of the old testament), but is deliberately mis-ordered, presumably to emphasize some books and minimize others?

Yeah but Pulp Fiction was good...
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 31, 2006 11:56:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

Pulp Fiction pwnd hXc
Don't pave me, please!

[Jul 31, 2006 12:05:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
jackthedoboy

So you believe in the litteral word of the bible as true?

Here's my problem with that: The bible includes everything from genesis to job. But it has been edited many, many times -- many books have been added or removed over the years. First of all do you have any proof to back that up? even if it is true, information has been added to your wonderful wiki as well. has it occured to you that the different parts of the bible were written at different times? like an enciclopedia, the bible is a COLECTION of different books etc. you can not have a collection of books without adding and removing can you?

Do you believe in all the gospels, or only the 4 that were approved by the male centric church to support the male dominated establishment around 250-400 AD?:we believe in all the gospels, we do not care about what the CHURCH aproved. The CHURCH is not always right, besides, who says this CHURCH was made of believers and not just a bunch of people going to a building and having services?

Are you even aware that the traditional ordering of the new testament books is not in cronological order (like most of the old testament), but is deliberately mis-ordered, presumably to emphasize some books and minimize others?I am aware of that so whats your point? if youve read the bible youd know that certain books tell of very important things ie:the life of jesus christ, certain events

Are you aware that this is NOT in the bible, but rather comes from RL politics -- three out of four roman rulers exiled people who did not agree with this, and then at the second council the bishops selected were those that agreed with one view and not the other?Jesus constantly refers to "His father in heavan" and the apostles are always refering to the Lord and the holy spirit in seperate terms. if you do not believe me look up the following scriptures:acts 2:33 Mathew 12:32 mathew 28:19 1 corinthians 12:4-6 luke 2:49 luke 24:49 John 10:30 (this last one says that the father and son are one, thus we have the trinity :)) John 14:6John 15:16
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

Do you believe in ALL of the old testament? Do you permit people to eat pork? exodus 20 lists the ten commandments, the commandments we must obey if we wish to go to heaven. Jesus refers to some of these commandments in the new testament as well (luke 18:20) Though these are the most known commandments, there are many other commandments throughout the bible wich brings us to the pork. I do not believe that you are going to hell because you eat pork. however, there is a reason the lord made these commandments. have you ever noticed that pork is very unhealthy for you? so is piercing and tattooing your body wich are mentioned in the bible. ask any doctor about this, you notice that most doctors dont eat very much ham or pork? personally ive never seen a doctor covered with tatoos and piercings. In fact ive never seen a single doctor of any kind with a single piercing etc.

How do you determine what you are supposed to do? Traditionally, people look at the bible, and anytime sometimes when they see someone doing something, they say "Ahh -- this must be an example, and we are to follow". And this despite that (A) Other times things done are not taken as examples, and (B) when things are laws for all time, they are clearly labled as such. Not everything done in the bible is an example. howeverthere are specific commandments to follow, and,l as jesus was the only man without sin, we should folow his example and his example only. there are plenty of records in the bible of people practicing sin.

How do you deal with passages and words that cannot be translated because we have to guess at what the words mean, as they do not occur outside of the bible in any surviving hebrew texts? Have you actually read the old testament and if so, which version?

How do you deal with Paul's writings? He felt that the second coming would be in their lifetime; although he appears to have been wrong about that, do you feel that his writings based on that assumption -- stop worrying about this world, prepare for the next because it is coming real soon now (sounds like a software marketing pitch) -- still have validity?did you know that humans can be wrong? SHOCKING I KNOW!!! obviusly paul was wrong about that, it still dosent mean he was wrong about everything

What about revelations? Do you regard it as telling about some unknown, upcoming event, or do you accept the large amount of historical documention that shows it was talking about events of the time, and Rome at the time it was written?Revalation,mostly, is an account of a vision John had. all throughoutthe bible, visions warned people of things TO COME

Not considering the question of "Does god exist", or "Is god powerful", but do you feel that God is Good? Have you considered that he might have his own agenda? Do you consider it good/bad? Have you considered the question of whether or not God considers all people on this planet to be nothing more than tools for his plan? And if so, are you OK with being nothing more than a tool for Him to do what He wants with?Jesus said: do not call me good, only my father in heaven is good.

How about Job (the book)? "Satan" translates as advesary or opponent, not as an evil being. In Job, Satan isn't even shown as being evil. You know the story of Job, right? "Of course he worships you. It's a sound business decision". "OK, make his life miserable". "Done". "See, he still worships me. Hey, go one step further -- ruin his life". "Done". "See? I'm still considered great".why would anyone BUT an evil being want to kill and destroy someones loved ones and possesions as a simple test? of course satan is evil, he IS the one who brought down all these things on job. notice it says that God did notwant to but did to provethat job was his follower

Is _THAT_ the God that you consider good and perfect? Have you forgotten that He hardened Pharoh's heart, and forced him to go back on his words, and chase the Isrealite's out of Egypt in the first place? For that matter, do you celebrate Passover every year?Ever noticed what happened when pharo chased the israielites?he drowned in the sea. God was killing two birds with one stone by saving the israielites AND destroying the egyptians

I don't consider God to be perfect. I feel that He makes mistakes, has Ego problems, etc. I think he's as fallable as we are -- we are in his image, after all.you already pointed that out and i already showed you why you were wrong

Oh -- finally -- what about the poems, plays, stories, and other old literature and fiction collected in the psalms -- do you regard those as God's word, or as the word of early authors and playrights?
the entire bible was written by men. phsalms is an account of Davids praise to the lord.maybe he wanted to include some stories.

thats all i have to say, i have answered all your questions as best as i can, and as biblically as i can. feel free to keep asking.
[Jul 31, 2006 12:34:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jackthedoboy

pulp fction? what of it? this thread is based on the bible go talk about your pulp iction sumwhere else
[Jul 31, 2006 12:36:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jackthedoboy

there you have it, i read it, understood it,and answered it. oh and im not a kid, kids arent allowed to play Y!PP
[Jul 31, 2006 12:37:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jackthedoboy

Well, it may not make sense, but many Christians believe that if you're not saved, then you'll go to hell for all eternity. In their perspective, they're doing us a favor by witnessing to us in a pirate game.

My Bible-Fu is weak, so I don't know if there are any blockades mentioned. I do know that there are tons of land battles. The only real difference is choice of venue, right?
That belief is completely biblical
[Jul 31, 2006 12:39:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jackthedoboy

That belief is completely biblical
[Jul 31, 2006 12:39:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jackthedoboy

... or pirates, for that matter? Or gambling, or violence with swords or fists, or drinking?

Doesn't an organized, presumeably conservative and evangelical, Christian movement within a pirate-themed game seem like an oxymoron of epic proportions, or is it just (admittedly cynical) me?

-- RaggedAndy

actually, tho it dosent say anything bout pirates, it contains a large historyof war, including parts where Gods peoplefight with SWORDS and with thier HANDS(rumble) to say that violence is a sin is ignorant, violence and killing is only wrong when it is out of hate. war and "friendly fighting" (boxing, karate matches, fencing, and video game violence do not involve murder or vengance)
[Jul 31, 2006 12:45:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 105   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates