• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 128
Posts: 128   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24783 times and has 127 replies Next Thread
Rexie

Rexelita's Sink-A-Thon Aug 26th

Official event thread. Rexelita proudly presents "Rexelita's Sink-A-Thon" scheduled for Saturday, noon PST, on August 26th.

On that lovely summer day, at least 60 war brigs will battle at Meke in a series of explosive and wood-splintering dogfights. Over 60 pirates will fight and puzzle. And cheer as each ship goes glub glub! Come witness the spectacle and glubification of these once-proud ships as they are sacrificed in the names of fun and injury. Because it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, and then it's hilarious!

Sinkathon the movie! Smaller 1MB version.
(If you don't have the newest version of Quicktime, you can download iTunes for free and Quicktime comes with.)

The premise of the event is this: Event is set on a sinking blockade board. Two teams of 30 pirates each. Each pirate provides a ship deed to a fully-stocked war brig for the event. War brigs battle each other until all 60 ships have sunk. Each pirate sinks 30 times. Event flags are Red and Hook Patch Peg Cruises. Depending on interest, there may be an additional team of war brigs for each group of 30 pirates that participates.

To add to the fun and mayhem, suicide sloops will be out on the field taking pot shots at both sides in a fun-filled sinking free-for-all. Also, prizes will be awarded for various mystery categories. One mystery category will be First Injury.

How would you like to participate? Will you be a war brig navver? A suicide slooper? An event judge? A buoy marker? A pirate on shore trying to scalp a seat to the big game? Or perhaps, sitting in a sloop in the safe zone cheering on the participants? Or, for the dastardly, a wild party crasher coming in with your own staffed war brig? Bring on the smashy!

The War Brig Navver
This is a wonderful opportunity to nav in a sinking blockade with a shipload of great puzzlers who are excited to be there. This is a fantasy situation for a lot of pirates that few get to experience. This event is not about who the best navver is. It's about everyone having fun! You will be cheered no matter what you do in the water! If you can place a token, you'll do fine as a navver in this event. Case in point: the mystery prize categories for this event are not targetted to reward the ubernavver. Just go out and have fun! Ram and shoot each other in an awesome explosive dogfight! Even if your ship sinks in 70 seconds (which will be very difficult to do under these conditions - 3-5 minutes is far more likely), your team will still cheer for you! The other side may even curse your luck if you sink before they do! Arr! Limitations: You will be fired upon by Suicide Sloopers and rogue ships that enter the blockade field. You are not to attack the Suicide Sloopers or Buoy Markers and you are expected to remain in bounds. The board is a mighty big place, don't want ye to wander too far. Now, if a Suicide Slooper or rogue ship gets between you and your opponent, by all means, fire/ram/do as you wish. Rawr! In the off chance that you are unsinkable (5 minutes pass and it's obvious the ship won't go down anytime soon), your efforts will be heartily applauded by the entire ship and you'll be asked to let yourself be sunk so the next participant can have a turn. Little brother clause: if your little brother manages to gain control of your keyboard during the event and goes hog wild on us (lays waste to Buoy Markers, etc), expect me to plank him. Navvers are expected to stay on their toes and promptly board ships in between sinks. We don't want the other war brig getting picked on by the suicide sloopers all by his lonesome now, do we?
To be a War Brig Navver
You must provide the deed to a war brig, 75 rum, and 200 shot. War brig and supplies may be delivered separately and at separate islands (subject to where I have a ship - I have a ship at nearly every port), if that's convenient. However, all three must be delivered at the same time to secure your seat in the event. Rexe, why so much rum and shot? Answer: these ships will be full of rum-thirsty and highly-ranked players. They will drink a lot of rum! And after spending about 45k on a war brig, wouldn't it suck to run out of shot before you sank?

The Suicide Slooper
The mission of the noble and mighty suicide slooper is to inflict as much damage as possible upon the war brigs while staying afloat as long as possible. And prizes for these Suicide Sloop teams will be awarded accordingly. The war brigs are not to go after the sloops. However, incidental damage and sinks to those sloops are expected. The sloops are there to make sure the event runs smoothly and to keep war brig counts on both sides relatively even and will receive instructions from me as the event progresses. If one side starts getting behind on sinks, the sloops will target that side more heavily. Expect to be jobbed into an independent crew or third flag to receive instructions.
To be a Suicide Slooper
You may bring in your own team of suicide sloopers (one team captain and five teammates), and provide your own sloop and supplies for this event. Be sure to register in advance that you plan on participating because prizes will be awarded for Suicide Slooper team performances. Top prize includes a ship and a cash prize per team (amount to be determined). If there is more than one team worthy of the top prize as determined by event judges, then multiple teams shall be awarded. Rules: You must reserve a slot for an event judge that I choose for the event. The judge must be able to laze in order to observe the event. You may also elect to bring in a cutter, provided you leave at least one spot open for an event judge. Note that sloops repair faster and can be quite unsinkable when properly navved and staffed. I'm offering cutters as an option because there seems to be an abundance of unwanted cutters. I happen to have a few myself. Note: Please don't shoot/ram the Buoys.
I will also be sponsoring Suicide Slooper teams. I'm willing to give a stocked sloop to individuals/teams who present themselves as someone who isn't looking for a free ship to sink at the first chance. Harr! The role of the Suicide Slooper is important to the enjoyment of the event for every participant. This role is ideal for someone who doesn't care if they get injured or not, has wicked puzzle skills, wants the thrill of sinking war brigs, and is looking for a free ticket to one of the most thrilling events of the summer. These positions are limited in number and will be chosen very selectively.

The Event Judge
Your mission is to judge the performance of war brig navvers and suicide sloop teams. You will be entrusted with the full list of mystery categories and their associated prizes. This role is ideal for someone with a sense of humor, who can be attentive for the duration of the event, and won't mind if they get sunk and/or injured as a result of the hazards of the job. I expect I'll need 4-10 judgges. War brig navvers may also be eligible to participate in judging the Suicide Slooper categories (they will need to occupy one of the lazing positions when not navving). Judging results to be made immediately after the event. We now have a crew of judges and hopefully they can come to some fun decisions quickly. A list of all the mystery categories, prizes, and the winners will be posted to this event thread.
To be an Event Judge
Ask me. I'll gladly note you for consideration for the event date and let you know when I can confirm your participation.

The Buoy Marker
Great spot to watch the big event from. You and three bots will make your way out onto the water where you will mark a spot on the field as a boundary for the participants. The blockade board is a big place and to maximize the dogfight action, we need to ensure war brigs don't go willy nilly about the board as though this were a sea battle. There is a remote possibility you'll get sunk. This role is ideal for the lazing spectator who won't go kamikaze on me. This role may also double up as an Event Judge.

Pirate on Shore Attempting to Scalp a Ticket
War brig navvers have the option of designating one alternate for each seat they've purchased. If Susie pops up on shore after the 13th sink boasting a shiny new hook, she can either return for more fun or give away her seat. If Susie comes to a private agreement with Bob to give/sell her seat, it is up to Susie to send me a tell informing me that Bob is now taking her place. Bob will be jobbed as quickly as possible, but it's possible he may miss a boarding. Bob cannot sell/exchange the seat and Susie doesn't get it back. He either shows up or the seat goes empty (and wouldn't that be sad?). This option is targeted towards pirates who split the war brig expense in half, thereby increasing the number of potential participants. But also caters to last minute cancellations for pirates who have committed to the event.

Spectator in the Safe Zone
Come one, come all! Come watch the spectacle and cheer for your friends from the safety of the safe zone. Participate in the wildly popular, "Ram your friends off the board while in the safe zone" game.

The Party Crasher
Oh, bring it, big boy! While I'd prefer ye target the war brigs and leave the buoy markers alone, I know I cannot stop you. Here's hoping that if you come, you'll keep in mind the spirit of the event and increase enjoyment for all participants. In the end, we are all pixels trying to have a good time.

Other details:
If you are one of the lucky pirates with a spot aboard the ill-fated war brigs, your chance of getting at least one injury is rumored to be 60%. A reliable, but aged source, revealed to me that the probability of getting an injury hovers around 3% each time you sink. If true, then...
Probability of Injury = 1 - Probability of No Injury
3% = 100% - 97%

If you sink 30 times in a row...
Probability of Injury = 1 - (Probability of No Injury)^(Number of sinks)
59.89% = 1 - (.97)^30
Or, roughly 60%.

Think of it... 60 pirates, 60 war brigs, 60% chance each one could walk, er, limp away with at least one injury. I wish I could guarantee the reliability of these figures, but I am putting up a few of my own war brigs to show my confidence in them. And holy mackerel! Think of all the fish! Bludgeon trunks will be awarded as some of the prizes for the mystery categories.

I had hoped to offer up a raffle as a means for average Joe Pirate to get in on the war brig action, but due to the magnitude of the event, I'll have to pass on this. Perhaps Sink-A-Thon 2: More Glubification will be able to offer a raffle.

To view the event proposal thread, go here: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=42719

Some common questions
What if you get an odd number of people who wish to participate?
For each batch of thirty confirmed participants, there will be a team. For each additional pirate that expresses interest, she will be wait-listed but must still provide a deed and supplies for me to float to the party site. As soon as I find out that Joey cancelled, I'll let Sarah know she's in the event. And yes, all waitlisted pirates who don't make it into the event will have everything cheerfully returned quickly after the event. Waitlisting will start after I receive 60 war brigs which confirm seating.
What if I need to cancel my spot?
Once you have confirmed your seat, if there's a pirate on the wait list who is able to replace you, you will gladly have your war brig and all supplies refunded to you. However, if there is no pirate waiting or I don't get enough notice prior to the event (not more than 3 days, please), you'll forfeit your entry fee. Sorry, I can't think of a simpler way to preserve the enjoyment of the event for everyone else who participates. Due to the nature of the event, it's first-come, first-served and refunds are questionable. You could try to sell or give away your spot to someone else.
What if you're really close to the next batch of 30?
Hmm. We'll have to see if anyone has any spare war brigs and wishes to raffle/give-away seats. Otherwise, I recommend those wait-listed pirates who didn't get in on this one to be ready to pounce at the sequel. Lamora has graciously offered to be a possible war brig donor.

Confirmed War Brig Participants:
1. Akaterini (Kind Gurnard - seat confirmed)
2. Alemdar (Sensitive Whitebait - seat confirmed)
3. Alpinemist (Well-Known Alewife - seat confirmed)
4. America (Social Trout - seat confirmed)
5. Annaleese (Agreed Roach - seat confirmed)
6. Apatchebeard/Taco (Honest Angler - seat confirmed)
7. Arlith (Poor Angler - seat confirmed)
8. Arrnold (Genius Wrasse - seat confirmed)
9. Bassmstrette (Coarse Ling - seat confirmed)
10. Blackfletch (Cowardly Guppy - seat confirmed)
11. Blimb (Heartless Marlin - seat confirmed)
12. Cdnlife (Snooty Pickerel - seat confirmed)
13. Ceylon (Dumb Mako - seat confirmed)
14. Cheshirey (Critical Blowfish - seat confirmed)
15. Corduroyjack (Demented Haddock - seat confirmed)
16. Daleen (Polite Roach - seat confirmed)
17. Darvid (Demented Bullhead - seat confirmed)
18. Dembones (Dedicated Sild - seat confirmed)
19. Doobie (Thick Cod - seat confirmed)
20. Dotte (Flipped-Out Whitebait - seat confirmed)
21. Elyzabeth Well-Known Flounder - seat confirmed)
22. Espy (Talented Pickerel - seat confirmed)
23. Foxielady (Complicated Bream - seat confirmed)
24. Gajin (Cool Alewife - seat confirmed)
25. Guillotine (Stubborn Hammerhead - seat confirmed)
26. Gummyworm (Living Mummichog - seat confirmed)
27. Headlock (Moral Headdock - seat confirmed)
28. Josegringo (Annoying Herring - seat confirmed)
29. Karei (Adventurous Stickleback - seat confirmed)
30. Kaykordeath (Complicated Sawfish - seat confirmed)
31. Keeran (Stingy Chub - seat confirmed)
32. Knarf (Narrow-minded Trout - seat confirmed)
33. Laceymarie (Rare Mako - seat confirmed)
34. LJ (Nit-Picky Mackerel - seat confirmed)
35. LordKalvan (Absent Gar - seat confirmed)
36. Miquela (Large Sunfish - seat confirmed)
37. Oldin (First-Class Bream - seat confirmed)
38. Onelove/Dbavirt (Kind Piranha - seat confirmed)
39. Owenthebald (Coarse Bream - seat confirmed)
40. Piplicus (Harsh Sawfish - seat confirmed)
41. Redherring (Boring Mackerel - seat confirmed)
42. Rexelita (Relaxed Angler - seat confirmed)
43. Rezzup (Rude Needlefish - seat confirmed)
44. Ruhannah (Helpful Blowfish - seat confirmed)
45. Saadskellie (Haughty Pike - seat confirmed)
46. SeaHag (Talented Whitebait - seat confirmed)
47. Seerauber (Rude Trout - seat confirmed)
48. Senatus (Absent Gar - seat confirmed)
49. Sprngweather (Thankful Needlefish - seat confirmed)
50. Tawnee (Uninhibited Angelfish - seat confirmed)
51. Teklanika (Unworried Gurnard - seat confirmed)
52. Ttoonnyy (Grateful Lamprey - seat confirmed)
53. Verra (Greedy Hake - seat confirmed) Blargon
54. Xppibro (Cowardly Bream - seat confirmed)
55. Yetidave (Active Puffer - seat confirmed)

56. ChipmonkPyro (Good Bream - seat confirmed)
57. Cawie (Rude Haddock - seat confirmed)
58. Shellgames (Unchanging Rudd - seat confirmed)
59. Crispix (Large Wrasse - seat confirmed)
60. Blackclaw (Childish Haddock - seat confirmed)

Waitlist:
Blargon Verra has asked to give her seat to Blargon and waitlist instead - wow, that's a nice friend! :)
Andyp
Zanered (donation war brig)

War Brig Pledgers:
Blackclaw, Bluheart, Bo, Crazydave (c/o Mom), Deanti, Dewdlebug, Docryno, Geckoblade, Kivo, Klank, Mom, Sabata, Salvia, Voler

Date conflict: Calamarie (Adapatable Trout-returned), Labradonis, Lamora, Sweetiepiepi. For those pirates who submitted a war brig before the official event post went up, if you need your war brig returned for any reason, please let me know. :)

Suicide Sloopers registered:
Albatross: Faulkston, captain. Looking for good mates! See him in game or PM him.
Buccaneers: Amarylis, captain. Sponsored team (2+ sloops). Team full.
Cut-Throats: Chrisspy, captain. Sponsored team (2+ cutters). Team full.
Demolition: Majestrate, captain. Sponsored team (2+ sloops). Looking for good mates! See him in game or PM him.
Human Shield: Stuyvesant, captain. Team full.
Samos' Sailors: Samos, captain. Team full.
The InSINKables: Banedor, captain. Looking for good mates! See him in game or PM him.
Graill's Gang: Graill, captain. Team full.
Destin's Attackers: Destin, captain. Team full.
Jandor's Jolly Rogers: Jandor/Aevin, captains. Team full.
Bludgeond's Bludgeons: Bludgeond, captain. Team full.
Termination: Kimers, captain. Team full.
Brasshook's Bootyhunters: Brasshook, captain. Sponsored team (2+ sloops). Team full.
Suicidal Bullseye: Aevin, captain. Team full.
More teams coming! You pick a name or let me pick something weird!

Judges:
Piplicus, Head Judge, lazing about on war brigs when he isn't navving. All judges will report their results to him and he will compile and present the decisions. Award presentation to follow the event on a Grand Frigate in port at Meke immediately following the event. Easel will also be on board for those who'd like to take celebration portraits.
Alydra as a Buoy Marker.
Meanparrot as a Buoy Marker
Rome to ride in a suicide sloop as an observer.
Fallen likely on a suicide sloop as an observer.
Silkprincess either aboard a suicide sloop or war brig (tbd).
Stuyvesant to judge the war brig navver categories while he does some suicide sloop action.
Hubbleboy on a Buoy Marker or as a sloop observer.
DarkFlame on a Buoy Marker or as a sloop observer.
Chandlerman on a Buoy Marker or as a sloop observer.
Silverflames on a Buoy Marker or as a sloop observer.
----------------------------------------
R3><3L33T4
Jeridus says, "See, I dunno about that, I would think Rexi being evil would be like only relative evil. Like some sort of diabolical kitten"
[Edit 104 times, last edit by Rexie at Aug 25, 2006 2:18:47 PM]
[Jul 28, 2006 4:11:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverlad

Re: Rexelita's Sink-A-Thon Aug 26th

WEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

This is sure to be a fun event for all even the spectators, lol ram your friends out of the safe zone...that just sounds like fun!!!!!

I hope to see tons of blasting and alot of injurys and of course...fishies!!!!!!!!! Due to all this sinking there will be a mass growth in population for Fishies!!!!!!!!!!!

Great event rexe and i just cant wait
Signed,
Silverlas,

Dian of Midnight
[Jul 28, 2006 5:05:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jjw

Oh no! I can't come on the 26th. :(
Lamora

Managing to stay away from the game, but still a bit addicted to Parley.
[Jul 28, 2006 6:06:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I have the war brig for Apatchebeard all ready for ye Rexe, if something happens and we/he cant make it for any reason, I 'will'
my spot to Jsweetie.
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Jul 29, 2006 8:51:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
c_squared01

The mission of the noble and mighty suicide slooper is to inflict as much damage as possible upon the war brigs while staying afloat as long as possible.

Sounds fun! I sent you a PM explaining that I would love to play this role --- good luck with everything!
Chrisspy
[Jul 31, 2006 8:43:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Chrissyp wrote:

The mission of the noble and mighty suicide slooper is to inflict as much damage as possible upon the war brigs while staying afloat as long as possible.

Sounds fun! I sent you a PM explaining that I would love to play this role --- good luck with everything!

Awesome! I'll probably send a few more shippies your way than just the 2 cutters listed, but for now, I'd like to open up participation to as many people as possible. :)
R3><3L33T4
Jeridus says, "See, I dunno about that, I would think Rexi being evil would be like only relative evil. Like some sort of diabolical kitten"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rexie at Jul 31, 2006 12:31:39 PM]
[Jul 31, 2006 12:31:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Teh amazing Taco! wrote:

I have the war brig for Apatchebeard all ready for ye Rexe, if something happens and we/he cant make it for any reason, I 'will'
my spot to Jsweetie.

If only you could have 2 pegs... *giggles*
R3><3L33T4
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rexie at Jul 31, 2006 12:34:58 PM]
[Jul 31, 2006 12:34:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Guillotine_

Arr!

Waiting on last rum delivery fer my brig, then will hand over the deed.

This is a great opportunity for those of us with less Bnav experience to really step out of the comfy box!
Guillotine
SO - Odin's Demise - Malachite

Baguette!
[Jul 31, 2006 1:06:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Guillotine wrote:

Arr!

Waiting on last rum delivery fer my brig, then will hand over the deed.

This is a great opportunity for those of us with less Bnav experience to really step out of the comfy box!

Arr! That's what I'm hoping!
R3><3L33T4
[Jul 31, 2006 1:25:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

If only you could have 2 pegs... *giggles*

Bwahahahahahah my alt *does* have a peg too.
Taco - teh one and only

[Jul 31, 2006 6:32:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arty_pirate

So um, you have to have a deed, damn
Feel like a space adventure?
Visit Omicron Persei 8
[Aug 1, 2006 3:01:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dray

this sounds like a lot of fun
Aurorafaith
Cerulean ~ Midnight
[Aug 1, 2006 8:24:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meanparrot

Rex, got my schedule, I'm yours. ;)
Meanparrot in Viridian
Retired everywhere else
[Aug 1, 2006 11:35:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverlad

ill try to bring my sloop for the fun
Signed,
Silverlas,

Dian of Midnight
[Aug 1, 2006 4:44:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Event update:

Thanks to everyone for the lovely and supportive posts! Glad to hear yer all jazzed and ready for the event. I'm a bit of an attention trollop at times, but really, this event can't take place without YOU! Here's hoping everyone breaks a leg, hand, or gets their eye poked out. Harr!

Big news is that Meke is the party location!
Sincerest thanks to Notorious Fandango who has agreed to host a sinking blockade between NF and Red at Meke. So set up yer sleeping bags, observation sloops, and snack & souvenir stands. I will be sending a letter to the OMs rescinding my request for Eclipse. Thanks again to all the friendly flags who offered up use of their islands for this event.

Again, if yer looking to bring a war brig to the party, you do not have to float your ship down to Meke . I'll gladly float it for you (though I'd be delighted if you did). And you can still provide supplies at most any port. Ship and supplies may be delivered at separate locations, but must be delivered at the same time.

For mates looking to suicide sloop or use observation sloops, NF has a history of offering rum and shot at the fort for events. Also, Park is nearby and usually has plenty of supplies.
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 1, 2006 8:05:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Huge thanks to Dbavirt who took my storybook script, graphic artwork, and sound bites to create this wonderful movie teaser for the event. Special appearances by Notorious Fandango, Pirates of the Keys, Silkprincess, and lots of gratuitous name dropping. No sheep were harmed in the making of this video.

Roll that beautiful bean footage!
Warning: 10MB.
And a 1MB version also available.

Virt, you scuppering rock!
R3><3L33T4
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rexie at Aug 2, 2006 2:16:10 AM]
[Aug 2, 2006 1:52:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverlad

greatest shortfilm i ever watched.....im still watching it and dancing to the tune of music!!!! =)

count me in...ill probly buy and bring a sloop to all the mahem and golory and fishies
Signed,
Silverlas,

Dian of Midnight
[Aug 2, 2006 2:55:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Silverlas wrote:

greatest shortfilm i ever watched.....im still watching it and dancing to the tune of music!!!! =)

count me in...ill probly buy and bring a sloop to all the mahem and golory and fishies

You are so cute! I'm so glad you're excited :D
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 2, 2006 4:26:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverlad

=) i just have one question about the sloops...i didnt really understand the text up above...will the teams of the sloops be kinda set up like the war brig teams????

like teams of 7 so each pirate might be sunk 7 times on each team....mabey...less chance than the brigs...

srry if i missed something above
Signed,
Silverlas,

Dian of Midnight
[Aug 2, 2006 5:48:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mystery09

Could ye take me off the list. I'm not going to be able to attend the event after all. Sorry for any problems this may have caused.
Nodachi of Cobalt

Banned.
[Aug 2, 2006 10:29:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Silverlas wrote:

=) i just have one question about the sloops...i didnt really understand the text up above...will the teams of the sloops be kinda set up like the war brig teams????

like teams of 7 so each pirate might be sunk 7 times on each team....mabey...less chance than the brigs...

srry if i missed something above

Happy to explain. :)

Nope, suicide sloop teams are separate and totally different than war brigs. Sloops are there to help make the event run smoothly by shooting at the war brigs. Let's pretend Betty Newkid and Sarah Pwnerer are up next to battle each other in war brigs. Sarah is much better at nav than Betty is, so the sloops should go after Sarah much harder than Betty to try to even the odds when those two fight. Also, if team Red has more war brigs left than team Hook, the sloops should go after team Red more aggressively, as well.

Sloop teams have no fixed number of ships that will sink, whereas 60 war brigs are scheduled to sink.

But! You could do a mini-sinkathon with your friends...
You could ask 6 of your friends who have sinkable sloops if they want to get together and rotate those ships for sinking so that each of you sink 7 times. Same idea as the war brigs, just on a smaller scale. If you sink 7 times, your chance of getting at least one injury is roughly 19%. Not terribly high, but it's better than sinking just once and taking the ship loss all by yourself.
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 3, 2006 12:18:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Blargon wrote:

Could ye take me off the list. I'm not going to be able to attend the event after all. Sorry for any problems this may have caused.

No trouble at all. :)
Ye've only pledged at this point, so yer under no obligation. Pledging means you are/were definitely interested and would come if you can. However, after a pirate has confirmed a seat by providing a ship and supplies, that's where things could get sticky.

I hope you can make it out next time! And let me know if things change and you're able to come afterall. Quite a few pirates' appearances hinge on work schedules that have yet to be released. :)
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 3, 2006 12:23:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arty_pirate

What time is it in GMT +10:00
Feel like a space adventure?
Visit Omicron Persei 8
[Aug 3, 2006 1:16:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Blackfletch

What time is it in GMT +10:00

Noon Pirate Time (aka Pacific Daylight Time, which is GMT -7:00) plus 17 hours, should be 5am Sunday, August 27.
Blackfletch

How many small shot does it take to sink a Grand Frigate? One.
[Aug 3, 2006 2:04:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.seraphsnightmare.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Rexe, other than your own sinkable brig and stock, how much expense for this is coming out of your own pocket?
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 3, 2006 4:48:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Teh Taco wrote:

Rexe, other than your own sinkable brig and stock, how much expense for this is coming out of your own pocket?

*giggles* Yer gonna make me blush. Total poe spent will only be known after the event and I probably won't care to
find out how much anyway, I'll have so much fun!

But, yer curious, so I'll indulge you on some of the expenses:
Meke Warchest (25k)
Dozen or so cutters + stock (sponsored suicide teams)
Few dozen sloops + stock (sponsored suicide teams)
Navver prizes (not lavish, just fun; about a dozen prizes, hopefully less than 50k spent)
Suicide sloop prizes (Ships + poe; probably 10k-20k per team awarded, limit on teams)
A few war brigs + stock to some very nice people who couldn't come otherwise
Thank-you cards/gifts
Biggest expense of all: Time!
Time working on the event concept, contingencies, loopholes, island negotiation, date negotiation, fame buildup, event promotion, being available for several hundred pirates to contact on-line for questions/deed trades, graphics & sound & video work, working with volunteers and participants, shipyard puzzling to help pirates get labor for building ships, tracking ships, floating ships. Y'now, just the usual effort everyone puts into an event. >.<

Fantasy expense:
There is one thing I'd really love to do for this event but can't afford to. I'd love to buy group portraits for all the lucky injured pirates (guessing about 36 pirates, roughly 6 group portraits), holding fish, whilst aboard an OM-shanghaid-for-the-event Grand Frigate called "Gratuitous Glubification" or something. Portrait title might be, "I Got Mine at Rexe's Sinkathon." And I thought for a few uninjured pirates, "I Went to Rexe's Sinkathon and all I got was 30 fish," but the title's a bit long. *giggles* But yeah, that sort of prize would cost several million poe. Portraits - the ultimate poe sink. Harr! I am hoping, though, that the injured pirates will get together on their own for a group portrait or two to celebrate. :)

If anyone wishes to support the event, you are more than welcome to volunteer for judge, buoy, or one of my sponsored suicide slooper positions or heck, just come pillage with me! I'm pillaging up a storm to fund this event and I need jobbers.
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 3, 2006 1:06:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tricky23

I will gladly volunteer for a position in a sponsored suicide sloop or buoy.

I will also pledge a sloop for the mini-sink-a-thon... sadly that's all I can afford. Any other people out there with sloops coming over that want to trade a place in mine for a place in theirs?

On Midnight...we care.

... about Midnight

[Aug 3, 2006 1:25:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I will donate some poes, dont have much but will give ye 10k of it.
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 3, 2006 1:31:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

Teh Taco wrote:

I will donate some poes, dont have much but will give ye 10k of it.

<3

And to Tricky23: Let me know if ye find mates to share in the 7-sloop deal. If not, tell me yer pirate name and I'll get ye a spot on a sponsored sloop team. :) Good luck to ye!
R3><3L33T4
[Aug 3, 2006 6:21:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
djibouti

Sexi Rexie wrote: 
Portrait title might be, "I Got Mine at Rexe's Sinkathon." And I thought for a few uninjured pirates, "I Went to Rexe's Sinkathon and all I got was 30 fish," but the title's a bit long.

You know, if you get a free shirt for all the uninjured you can call it "I Got Sunk At Rexe's Event and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt".
[shameless plug] I can quote you a cheap price at Lab Coats [/shameless plug]
Crispix
Pirates of the Damned
Yar, the laws of science be a harsh mistress.
[Aug 3, 2006 8:33:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 128   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates