• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3553 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
BlackBeth

Fantasy Scavenger Hunt - Aug. 6 - Test your creativity!

Feylind was walking along the docks singing "Happy Birthday to Me" (pointedly ignoring the old salts cringing at her off-key rendition), and trying to decide what to do to celebrate her natal anniversary. Run a small event of course, but it had to be something she hadn't done before.

"Party? To common. Writing Contest? Just did that. Scavenger hunt? Hmmm... that has possiblities. But it needs a twist of some sort. Maybe make the list of items to be found be things I want for my birthday? No, even better! Make it a list of things that don't exist!"

And so this event was born (just like me, only mumble mumble years later). Welcome to:

Fey's Fantasy Scavenger Hunt

What: Scavenger Hunt with a Twist
When: Sunday August 6th at 12:00pm - 1:30pm PDT (3pm EDT, 8pm BST)
Where: Feylind's Manor on Turtle Island
Registration: Registration will close 10 minutes prior to the start of the event
Prizes: Sloop, furniture items and trinkets. Prizes will be awarded for 1st thru 5th place overall, and for at least 10 of the most creative individual offerings.

How it works:
All participants must be at Feylind's Manor on Turtle prior to the start of the event. Everyone will be jobbed into the Event Crew (Ragged Destiny) for ease of communication.

At precisely 12pm, the list of 20 items to be found will be posted in the front room of the Manor, and in the Public Statement of the Event Crew. You will be released to go start hunting.

You will have 90 minutes to find all the items and return to the Manor. You may return early; you may not be late. At 1:30pm the doors will be locked and no one else will be allowed inside.

Crew chat will be used for answering questions, rules clarifications, and time warnings. You may leave the crew if you choose but you will lose the benefit of hearing event announcements. If you need to leave the crew temporarily and want back in, simply send me a tell that says, "job me".

The Twist:
This is not the sort of scavenger hunt where you are looking for a blue/green foil or a sloop with "Fatty" in the name. All of the items on the list are imaginary; they don't actually exist in the game world. You must exercise your creativity to find something that will stand in for the requested item.

Confusing? Allow me to offer an example:
Suppose Item #1 on the list says: "Superhero". There are many ways you could go about presenting this item to me. Remember that in addition to being credited for the item, the more creative your offering, the better chance it has to win a trinket. For example, you could bring me:
1. An alt named "Wonderwoman" - This is would get you credit
2. A green Colored Lamp furniture item (saying it's the Green Lantern) - more creative, would get you credit and a chance at a trinket
3. Bendeall (on the grounds that he drives the Batmobile) - would make me fall over laughing; credit, and a great chance at a trinket

Judging:
To have your items scored, come to the Manor and initiate a trade request with myself or one of my assistant judges and place your offerings in the trade window. You may be asked to justify why your offering matches the item on the list; be prepared to be persuasive.

You may bring in items to be scored at any time; you do not need to wait until you have collected everything. "Score-as-you-go" and "all-at-the-end" are both acceptable strategies. Keep in mind that if more than one person brings in the same offering to represent an item on the list, only the first one will be considered for a creativity prize.

The 1st-5th place prizes will be awarded to the first 5 individuals to return with all items, or if all items are not found, to the ones who have the most at the end.

The creativity prizes will be awarded for the offerings I consider to be the most creative.

The Prizes:
1st - Painted Sloop (Serious Sailfish)
2nd - Retired Hero's weapons (Crossed Swords furniture item)
3rd - Pheonix's Birdcage
4th - Rumplestiltskin's Spinning Wheel
5th - Wishing Well (brown Dyer furniture item)

10+ Trinkets (includes Starfish, Handkerchiefs, Sand Dollars, and Coal) - will be awarded to my favorite creative items.

To register for the event, you may post here, send me a PM or a tell, or simply show up at the manor at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the event. All players must be at Feylind's Manor by 10 min prior to the event start in order to participate. Depending on the level of response, I reserve the right to put a participation cap on the event.

Standard Disclaimer:
The event staff reserves the right to disqualify anyone who, in their judgement, is cheating or acting against the spirit of the event. They also reserve the right to make clarifications or additions to the rules as needed. Any such rules will be publicly announced in the event crew chat.

Thanks to Brummieboy, Jaded, Shar, Blacksandpr, and everyone else who donated something or aided me on my hunt for trinkets to give away!

----------------------------------------
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BlackBeth at Jul 29, 2006 6:42:10 AM]
[Jul 26, 2006 6:04:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Irelay

Re: Fantasy Scavenger Hunt - Test your creativity!

*squeals*

<3
Irelay l Otherwhen l Water Sleeps
Mightnight Ocean pirate since August '04
[Jul 26, 2006 6:11:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverlad

WOW!!! this sounds fun!!! tho sadly im busy that day =(

good luck to those who partisipate!
Signed,
Silverlas,

Dian of Midnight
[Jul 26, 2006 6:28:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

ooooooo......so this is your top secret plan.....wooo...cant wait....now lets hope i dont have to work at that time.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Jul 26, 2006 9:12:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

I am so going to be there - need any other prizes? - I can rustle up something.

Um....I'm not entirely sure how we'll bring things we see if we don't own them - apart from persuading some pirate with a useful name to front up on our behalf.
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Jul 26, 2006 9:40:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
glaspell

ooo! pick me! that sounds like a barrel of fun! er....a barrel of rum?

anyway, Wedekind, sign me up!
Wedekind, of Out for Blood, of the flag Tyr's Own
Mifornes, of Hakuna Matata, of the flag Temporary Insanity
Make

Midnight Ocean.
[Jul 27, 2006 1:46:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Um....I'm not entirely sure how we'll bring things we see if we don't own them - apart from persuading some pirate with a useful name to front up on our behalf.

Lol, the same way you usually acquire things for a scavenger hunt. You borrow them.

This is an individual event, but you will notice I didn't include a rule against getting help from others. In a scavenger hunt, you are supposed to turn to your crew/flag/hearties for help acquiring items.

-- Fey
Feylind

[Jul 27, 2006 4:12:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
AndromedaCL

This sounds so clever!

Will we be expect or allowed to use screen shots, etc as submissions?

Also, you said entrants can ask others for help. Can we work in teams?
Carribean
Carribean Cruise Lines

Androclea's Realm
[Jul 30, 2006 10:53:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/androcleasrealm/home.htm    AndrocleasRealm    AndrocleaNight [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

This sounds so clever!

Will we be expect or allowed to use screen shots, etc as submissions?

Also, you said entrants can ask others for help. Can we work in teams?

No, for this event you will need to bring in an actual item or person to represent each thing on the list. Screenshots are a nice idea, though; I'll have to consider that for a future event.

This is an individual event, in the sense that the prizes will be awarded to individuals, and only the registered individual may present their items to be checked off the list.

That said, the nature of a scavenger hunt requires asking others for help to find and borrow items, etc. As a result, the line between "helper" and "team-mate" is too fine (and impossible to regulate) for me to bother with. If you have people who would rather act as your unoffical team than register and try for a prize themselves, I won't be stopping you.
Feylind

[Jul 31, 2006 1:34:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
amyjoba

So if someone brings in their item (say its the Superhero example), but later thinks of something that would be a better Superhero....can they bring the new one in too? (and have it replace their initial offering?)
Arlith

[Aug 2, 2006 6:14:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

So if someone brings in their item (say its the Superhero example), but later thinks of something that would be a better Superhero....can they bring the new one in too? (and have it replace their initial offering?)

Good question!

I want to encourage lots of creativity, so I'm going to say that yes, you can bring in more than one offering for any given item. All of them will be in the running for the creativity prizes.

You will only get credit once for each item on the list, though. Bringing in multiple items will not help you win first place, just help you win creativity prizes.

That make sense?

-- Fey
Feylind

[Aug 3, 2006 5:29:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Re: Fantasy Scavenger Hunt - Aug. 6 - Test your creativity!

<Blatant Bump>

Event starts in 3 hours!

-- Fey
Feylind

[Aug 6, 2006 8:57:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

<Blatant Bump>

Event starts in 3 hours!

Of all the days to be stuck at work. Here's hoping I'm home in time! >8)
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Aug 6, 2006 9:05:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

And the winners are:
1st place - Jerze
2nd place - Kargach
3rd place - Raquaetta
4th place - Jaded
5th place - Ceylon

Creativity Prizes:
(Item / offering / winner)
nose - chart to rhino,which means nose (Jaded)
nose - April fools glasses (Piplicus)
nose - pirates repeating "no's" (Starra)
magic lasso - pirate Diprince with a rope bludgeon (Lunamyst)
magic lasso - magic lass 'o (Kargach)
monster - unhatched monster egg (Raquaetta)
heart - she heartied me! (Tequilla)
lucky charm - leprachaun (Sunstone)
maneating plant - Festive fir (Snowpea)
maneating plant - pirate Audreyii (Ceylon)
7 league boots - whisking potion, same effect (Jerze)
anachronism - pirate Jackhammer (Vampireseden)
spacesuit - midriff top, lots of open space (Kargach)

There were many more extremely creative entries, but if I start listing them, this post will go on for pages...

For reference, this is the list of items people were asked to find:

nose
man-eating plant
water from the fountain of youth
magic wand
seven league boots
shrunken head
cat
spacesuit
lucky charm
a kiss
treasure map
voodoo doll
Pandora's box
magic lasso
an unpronouncable word
a security blanket
a monster
a song
a heart
an anachronism

Other interesting facts:
- Ceylon won the pre-event triva question of how old I turned today
- Kargach won the sf tourney set up during the judging at the end
- Teddy bears were used to represent 5 different items
- 4 people used OM dolls as voodoo dolls; should Bia, Apollo and Hypnos be worried?
- Welsh was a popular source for unpronounceable words. So was Raquaetta's name.
- The item the fewest people found was the song
- The item the most people found was Pandora's box

Thanks to everyone who came and played. I had a blast; hope you did too!

-- Fey
Feylind

[Aug 6, 2006 3:18:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Feylind thankyou for an event that was huge fun. Your items to be found were devilish. They looked impossible to start with but it's amazing what comes to mind once the panic's subsided! And everyone had the funniest ideas - I loved them.

Thanks so much for the sloop - we must take her for a sail one day.

And special congrats to Tequilla who as a new pirate was up against it when it came to having access to items to use but brought in a creative idea I wished I'd thought of.

When's the next one?

Edit - oops - and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jerze at Aug 6, 2006 3:38:54 PM]
[Aug 6, 2006 3:37:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

There should be events like this more often.

EDIT: Hey hey guys! You've obviously figured out the code. Quick, shout out the phrase 'Yarr! I be a winner!' PRECISELY out in the house, and you'll win a golden ticket!

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Piplicus_BNO at Sep 14, 2006 10:56:58 AM]
[Aug 6, 2006 3:59:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

Thank you for a fun and creative event!!!

It was a pleasure to celebrate your birthday with you!!

Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Aug 6, 2006 4:28:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ladylockett

Fey

It was great fun ... and easier then I expected once I got going!

This has actually given me the incentive to enter more events!

Great people, great event, great fun!
~Rainfall~Sunstone~Rainfail~

wif bubbles and stuff
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ladylockett at Aug 7, 2006 1:18:50 AM]
[Aug 6, 2006 11:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    8720334 [Link]  Go to top 
SeanaMO

Great event Fey! and so much fun. :D

I'd love to see the complete list of submissions though, just to see the way other's got creative with that list...

Cey,
hoping
Ceylon
SO of The Forsaken
Sultan's Sword - Midnight Ocean
[Aug 7, 2006 12:10:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tequillaa

hey,
thanx fey it was so much fun, tough lol but fun i really enjoyed it , my brain enjoyed wotking for a change too lol
hope you had a great birthday

xx

tequilla
*Hunie*
SO of the crew Marauding Maniacs
Princess of the flag Demented Minds
*always a bandit at heart*

on midnight
[Aug 7, 2006 5:23:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates