• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4048 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
Maerick64

Encouragement

Can i just have some words of encouregment from someone please i just lost in a familiar tourney for SF after me captain trained me and i got all me friends to enter it and they all lost and i prayed for 10 mins and blessed my self 100 times not exaduating and im realy sad and im thinking now that ill never accomplish my dreams before i have to quit puzzle pirates for school in one month so i just want some dang encouragement.
----------------------------------------
Do not ask whom the bell tolls for for the bell tolls for the.
[Jul 19, 2006 11:12:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bobie

Re: Encouragement

Fail.
Bendeall (Bo, if you know me)

Captain, Phoenicians. Related to teh BSBizzle.

Somewhat hostile, and not very helpful

http://boomytunes.serverroom.us:7660

Tune in, Rock out. Sometimes.
[Jul 19, 2006 11:23:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    BobieLaptop [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Seriously, mate, some of us have been trying for years to get a familiar. I've lost more familiar competitions than you've even been in. I think the key to it would be realizing that the point is the fun of competition, and not so much the familiar. Swordfighting is a particularly difficult one to win one in. There are many many talented swordfighters. Keep practicing.

If the goal is just to win a familiar in general, I suggest honing ALL of your skills. Familiars are give for the 3 main duty puzzles with some regularity. SF, Drinking, Rumble, and TDrop give tan ones quite frequently. Less frequently, but perhaps an option, are the various writing and drawing competitions. Keep an eye on the events forums. If you already have a broad range of skills mastered, but perhaps not to the point where any is familiar-worthy, check the Midnight Events forum. Kingpriam is running one this weekend that basically rewards well rounded pirates. It looks like it'll be a blast.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jul 19, 2006 11:29:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

Can i just have some words of encouregment from someone please i just lost in a familiar tourney for SF after me captain trained me and i got all me friends to enter it and they all lost and i prayed for 10 mins and blessed my self 100 times not exaduating and im realy sad and im thinking now that ill never accomplish my dreams before i have to quit puzzle pirates for school in one month so i just want some dang encouragement.

What?

Seriously. Don't take it so hard. It's a game.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Jul 19, 2006 11:33:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

Can i just have some words of encouregment from someone please....

Well, the only words of encouragement I have is that EVERYONE, except for one person, loses in a tournament. Don't feel too bad about it.
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Jul 19, 2006 12:26:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Maybe I can at least make you giggle. I too, have been trying for 2 years, and I often feel like I'll never succeed, but it's fun to keep trying and I doubt I ever will give up, because I enjoy the competition.

Just remember the scene from "Bruce Almighty", where he gives up on trying to answer all the prayers, and just answers "Yes" to all of them. The next day is chaos because everybody won the lottery (I'm guessing about .50 cents each player, LMAO).

Prayer doesn't work for things of this nature, because everybody else is just as entitled, and obviously only one person can win that particularly tourney, even though 100 may have prayed for it.
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Jul 19, 2006 12:36:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

I've spent 3 years practicing swordfighting and I lost too. It happens.

Also, not to put your faith into question ... but isn't the point of praying (in most modern forms) not to ask for things for yourself, but to show respect/worship your god/goddess/gods? There always seems to be the "if it's in your will, could you give me something shiny" disclaimer at the end - but remember that greed is one of the seven deadly sins, eh?

Maybe it's your local deity's will that someone else got the monkey because they needed it more than you did. Did you think of that?
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Jul 19, 2006 12:43:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Practice hard, and one day you'll be as good at puzzling as this guy:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=41223

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 19, 2006 12:46:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

I remember as a youngun, asking my Bishop if he could give me any guidelines on how to pray, because I wanted to ask God for something but didn't know how. Keep in mind I was very young, and much less cynical back then, ROFL.

The guidelines he gave, a prayer only had to include 4 things. Anything in the middle was between me and god, and didn't have to follow any format, could be no different from chatting with my best friend.

1. Start out addressing god, however you feel comfortable. "Dear Heavenely father"...etc.
2. Thank him for the blessings in your life.

Middle, whatever you want. Update him on your life, your testimony, whatever is on your mind.

3. Ask him whatever you'd like to ask him for, but not gimme-gimme style. Acknowledge that you know he has a choice, and you know his plan for you is more important than your desires, and acknowledge that you have to do the work but you're asking him for help. "If you can find a way, please guide me through my studies tonight so I can do well on my test".

4. Close it up, say goodbye. "In thy name we ask it, Amen".
[Jul 19, 2006 12:49:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Prayer instructions:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/janisjoplin/mercedesbenz.html

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 19, 2006 1:11:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Well, since ye just came to me house askin' fer trainin', then gave up after 5 minutes, I shall offer no words o' encouragement.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Jul 19, 2006 1:20:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manky

Ooh you're accepting fresh meat? I think Argoose got tired of pounding me and went into hiding >.>

Edit - note to self - think of everything before hitting 'post'.

To the OP - only if I can have some pity and encouragement for all my failings too :)
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by manky at Jul 19, 2006 1:43:04 PM]
[Jul 19, 2006 1:42:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

Aye, I hadn't trained anyone in quite some time, so I decided to try. Not that I'm any great swordfightin' teacher, but there we go.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Jul 19, 2006 1:46:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Manky wrote: 
Ooh you're accepting fresh meat? I think Argoose got tired of pounding me and went into hiding >.>

I'll never get tired of "pounding" you either, my dear. *winks* All in search for an Octo-Puss.
[Jul 19, 2006 2:08:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
djibouti

Quitters never win, and winners never quit. And those who neither win nor quit, are idiots.

There, I hope that helped.
Crispix
Pirates of the Damned
Yar, the laws of science be a harsh mistress.
[Jul 19, 2006 4:46:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

/choke on applejuice

/clean off monitor

/go declare war

... it's a game, mate. At the risk of perpetuating the thing I hate the most, I'ma go ahead and guess that you're very very young, and should likely not even be playing it.

Edit: did he say "exaduating"? I think that wins.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by StuManchu at Jul 19, 2006 8:11:17 PM]
[Jul 19, 2006 8:10:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

Mate, I just invested 3 straight weeks of work into a contest, hoping that I'd win a familiar (not to mention the hefty cash prize). I'm not saying this to make it look like I have all these great accomplishments under my belt, but it takes a lot more time, effort, and dedication than a SF tourney. I was disappointed that I didn't win first, but it's not like there wasn't any competition. If you're Distinguished, you shouldn't get worked up about losing in a tournament that is almost guaranteed to have Ultimates in it. More than 95% of Familiar SF tournament entrants should think "well, the Ultimates will probably take it, but at least I can try", not "wow a familiar! I'll bet I can win it!"

Praying to your god over something like an SF tourney is pretty unnecessary. If you were praying and blessing yourself before the tournament began, then that is petty and terrible. That's right up there with professional athletes that thank Jesus after they win a game (in the context that Jesus was on their side). If you were praying afterward, that too is unnecessary. You shouldn't end up so depressed about something like that. I'm currently ranked Legendary in SF and I've never won anything higher than about 700poe in a tournament.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Jul 19, 2006 8:52:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

I've won 2.
[Jul 19, 2006 8:59:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

I've won 2.

High five!
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 19, 2006 9:14:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

Funny how everyone compliments me on having won a familiar nearly two years ago, and all I can think of are the several hundred attempts at winning a second one that I've failed at since. ("Fifth in a sails bake-off, dammit, I shoulda gotten first..." or "Sure, I won a free year's subscription, but it's still not a familiar...") As others have said here, work on getting good at something, then work on getting good at something else. And if you're not having fun in the process, find another pastime.

And sorry, but praying to win a familiar seems silly to me, as much as I love this game. And I'm a minister. >8)
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Jul 19, 2006 9:17:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

The ability to perservere is reward in itself.

I've got 4. Am I better than Whitefire?
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Jul 19, 2006 9:28:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Manky wrote: 

Mur wrote: 
I'll never get tired of "pounding" you either, my dear. *winks* All in search for an Octo-Puss.

y

....heh....i made myself laff .... good enough for me :-P

Edit: @@#$#$^$#%^#$%@!$#@%$%'ing quote tags!
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Jul 19, 2006 10:02:41 PM]
[Jul 19, 2006 10:01:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

Well 4 > 2, so I guess the answer is yes?
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 19, 2006 10:16:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

But not on Midnight ;D.
[Jul 20, 2006 2:00:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
t0tal

I've won 3
Jabez
[Jul 20, 2006 5:14:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RaelShark

Mate, I just invested 3 straight weeks of work into a contest, hoping that I'd win a familiar (not to mention the hefty cash prize).

I've done that too many times to count.
Shark
Mascot of Ransack Marauders
[Jul 20, 2006 7:33:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

Mate, I just invested 3 straight weeks of work into a contest, hoping that I'd win a familiar (not to mention the hefty cash prize).

I've done that too many times to count.

Aye, and I haven't even been on YPP that long. I know there's people been here significantly longer than me, better at all the puzzles, and entered more contests, and still haven't gotten one.
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 20, 2006 7:52:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

Isn't it sort of... wrong to pray for material, selfish things? God smote you. You had it coming.

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
Chaotic Neutral/Sushicide Royal/avatar by Cattrin
[Jul 20, 2006 9:47:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Clearly God wanted the other guy to win more than he wanted you to win.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Jul 20, 2006 10:05:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Clearly God wanted the other guy to win more than he wanted you to win.

Perhaps the OP should seek some guidance from St. Silverdawg.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jul 20, 2006 10:19:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates