• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1316 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Badbeat

Badbeat's Random Poker Tournaments

Badbeat's Random Poker Tournaments (RBPT)

What is it?

Random tournaments hosted by me, Badbeat. The time or dates will not be posted ahead of time. I will come to the forums and make a note saying the time and date the tournament will begin, which will usually be about 15 minutes later. Upon this time, the first 10 people that send me a tell asking to be signed up and once I have nine people the tournament rules will be established and it will all begin!

What do I need?

-2,000 PoE to spend
-The ability to play (if you are not subscribed, you can only play certain days)
-An hour or two of time (Leaving the game early will be HIGHLY frowned upon, and if you do leave without good reason, you will be added to the ban list.)
-A respect for the game

How do the tournaments work?

The setup may seem complicated to some, but once you are a part of it, it will be quite easy to follow. All people involved will be invited to my rowhouse to compete. When everyone has arrived, I will explain the rules then setup the table.

The table will be a local only table. I will ask all of the players to come watch the table, but not sit down. When everyone is watching, I will shout everyone sit! and the players will have 30 seconds to sit down. This will make the tournament more fair because everyone will have a chance to take a seat. All players must be in for 2,000 PoE, no more, no less

When the tournament has started, everyone will continue to play until they are knocked out. When you are knocked out from the table, you may not rebuy back in but you are allowed to stay and watch the end of the tournament if you choose to do so. The game will go on until 1 Person has all the money and will be declared the winner. This person will leave the game 18k richer!

Failure to follow these rules will result in you being added to my ban list.

What is the ban list and how do I get on it?

The ban list is a private list I will keep of all those who don't follow the rules or generally are mean spirited. All players will be informed if they have been added to my ban list. This list is being established to try and keep the game flowing smoothly and hopefully will allow for fair play.

How to get added:
-Leave the tournament without notice
-Rebuy after being knocked out (I will mention to you that this is not allowed, if I am ignored you shall be banned)
-Using rude language
-Disrespecting the game or other players (pushing all in preflop every hand at the start, or insulting other people's play. This is not allowed and will result in you not playing anymore.)

Please if you do not plan to follow the rules, do not play. This is set up as a fun experience for people who love to play poker, and until automated tournaments come out this is the only way to play them. Hopefully issues will not arrive, or the tournaments will be canceled.

Other notes

-This is not an OM sponsered event... yet. It may never be, I am really starting off just to test if these will be popular or not. If I get quick responses and good clean play for the first bunch of tournaments, I may try to get some OM support.

-I play in every tournament. I love poker and know this will be a great experience. Each tournament will have 10 people, 9 others and then me. I may choose to give out prizes for knocking me out at a later time, but for the first few.

-Chat is of course allowed and completely encouraged in a moderate form. I hope that during the tournament, there will be a friendly conversation from all the players at the table. Just because we are playing poker doesn't mean poker has to be the topic, but please no personal conversations... that's what tells are for.

If you have any comments, concerns, or anything, please respond here or /tell Badbeat in game

Let's play some poker, and maybe have some fun!

-Badbeat
----------------------------------------
Badbeat, Midnight Ocean

Poker and Swordfighting Enthusiast
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Badbeat at Jul 18, 2006 12:02:17 PM]
[Jul 17, 2006 9:29:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Re: Badbeat's Random Poker Tournaments

-Disrespecting the game or other players (going all in every hand may be a possible ban, or insulting other people's play. This is not allowed and will result in you not playing anymore.)

Er question....

Considering the format which specificly prohibits buying back in, whats wrong with going all in on every hand.... Seams to me that any player going all in early would be setting themselves up to be knocked out quickly, and latter in the game, a situation of constantly going all in and bullying the table with overagressive betting (especially if your the chip leader) is a totally valid tactic? (and again, one which a skilled opponent should be able to play to their advantage and overcome)
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Jul 18, 2006 6:49:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rbbarker

I'm afraid this will turn into an all-in festival. Risking 2K to win 18K is good enough to drive lots of folks to just push every hand.

I also think that the host should pay to play as well. If you really want OM support, drop the host freeroll.

Just my thoughts:)
Baldo
now retired
[Jul 18, 2006 7:25:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Badbeat

Considering the format which specificly prohibits buying back in, whats wrong with going all in on every hand.... Seams to me that any player going all in early would be setting themselves up to be knocked out quickly, and latter in the game, a situation of constantly going all in and bullying the table with overagressive betting (especially if your the chip leader) is a totally valid tactic? (and again, one which a skilled opponent should be able to play to their advantage and overcome)

This is a good point and pointing out a case of my bad wording. I am implying that pushing all in preflop every hand right as the tournament starts is against the rules. Once a high stake is won, bullying can be a good strategy and going all in at points will make the game go along in the end. However, pushing all in preflop every hand in the very beginning is really against the spirit of the game.

I also think that the host should pay to play as well. If you really want OM support, drop the host freeroll.

I'm not sure what you mean.... As the host I play in every tournament, but I pay 2k like everyone else and follow the same rules.
Badbeat, Midnight Ocean

[Jul 18, 2006 12:01:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rbbarker

Oh. My fault. I took the "18k richer" comment to imply that 18k was won, as opposed to 20k won which would include the winner's initial buy-in. I thought it was going to be a freeroll for the host. I'm with ya now.

What's your all-in rule going to be then?
Baldo
now retired
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rbbarker at Jul 18, 2006 12:14:56 PM]
[Jul 18, 2006 12:14:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Badbeat

Well this is really still in the testing phase, I guess there is no all in policy until I see how the game flows and if it works well. If issues arise about anything after the first few games, rules can be changed.
Badbeat, Midnight Ocean

[Jul 18, 2006 12:21:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates