• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 209
Posts: 209   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16517 times and has 208 replies Next Thread
tarajayne

Re: Were we wrong?

Just because it wasn't in the rules, doesn't mean it was permitted. Since it's your event and it's coming out of your own (maybe the crew/flag's?) back pocket - you have right to refuse giving out the prize. Since they didn't lose anything by entering - they can't complain they get nothing.

Whoa... if all events wouldent give prized to winners just because they didnt like them, events would cease to happen on the oceans! That would be like having a free event, advertising a 50k prize, but only giving it out if someone from yer own flag won.

Yah!
----------------------------------------
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Jul 14, 2006 7:27:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Whoa... if all events wouldent give prized to winners just because they didnt like them, events would cease to happen on the oceans! That would be like having a free event, advertising a 50k prize, but only giving it out if someone from yer own flag won.

WTF are you on about? It's not about liking people - it's about fair play.

However, by setting up a contest, he must honour his prize offers. He should not discriminate against anyone. He currently has three options:
1. Give the promised prize to Bridalgirl to make it fair.
2. Take away prizes from everyone to make it fair.
3. Have a re-match, and make sure to update the rules.
Of course, there is a fourth option of not doing anything, but that tends to generate a horrible reputation, and you wouldn't want that, would you?

5. Don't honour the prize and give reason: Not in the spirit of the event.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Jul 14, 2006 7:29:50 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 7:28:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

Bridal- although you didn't go against the rules you are certainly against the ?spirit of the event? and general rules of fair play

I know, when i was a kid, basically everyone who wasnt "it" was on a team trying to get back to base. We would always try to trick the "it" person into chacing after the fastest person who wasnt it, so the rest of us could get back to base.

Now, if ye reverse it, so it is "Reverse hide a seek" I dont see why one couldent beleive they were following the spirit of the event by working as a team on the other side?

Playing normal hide and seek, it was one person vs. everyone else (working as a team, or not)... so why is it expected that playing hide and seek here is any different?

Edit:

Another version of team hide and seek with lazer tag sets
http://www.hasbro.com/lazertag/pl/page.games/dn/default.cfm?game=HDSK
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Thews at Jul 14, 2006 7:35:36 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 7:31:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BenjeminR

Bridal- although you didn't go against the rules you are certainly against the ?spirit of the event? and general rules of fair play

I know, when i was a kid, basically everyone who wasnt "it" was on a team trying to get back to base. We would always try to trick the "it" person into chacing after the fastest person who wasnt it, so the rest of us could get back to base.

Now, if ye reverse it, so it is "Reverse hide a seek" I dont see why one couldent beleive they were following the spirit of the event by working as a team on the other side?

Playing normal hide and seek, it was one person vs. everyone else (working as a team, or not)... so why is it expected that playing hide and seek here is any different?

Edit:

Another version of team hide and seek with lazer tag sets
http://www.hasbro.com/lazertag/pl/page.games/dn/default.cfm?game=HDSK

I caught on from the loud "she cheated" from the event planners :p
Legacee
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BenjeminR at Jul 14, 2006 7:38:06 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 7:37:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Where in this event description did it say 'Team hide and seek'? Nowhere. So relevance to this discussion is nil.
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Jul 14, 2006 7:40:04 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 7:39:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

I caught on from the loud "she cheated" from the event planners :p

Aye, they indeed thought that she was cheeting after the event, but no one told her, she may have very well thought that that was totally an OK think to do.
[Jul 14, 2006 7:40:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BenjeminR

Aye, they indeed thought that she was cheeting after the event, but no one told her, she may have very well thought that that was totally an OK think to do.

Believing that you are right does not make it so.
Legacee
[Jul 14, 2006 7:42:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

No one is that stupid...are they?
#TeamPurple
[Jul 14, 2006 7:42:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

No one is that stupid...are they?

Ok, how bout the rules of "reverse hide and seek" where the "GROUP goes and looks for the person hiding?

http://multiples.about.com/od/familyfun/a/indoorfunhide.htm
[Jul 14, 2006 7:45:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I hope you realise I meant, no one is that stupid to not realise what they are doing is wrong in some way.
#TeamPurple
[Jul 14, 2006 7:47:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

Where in this event description did it say 'Team hide and seek'? Nowhere. So relevance to this discussion is nil.

WTF

QFT

Where did it say that swearing is allowed on the forums sagacious?
[Jul 14, 2006 7:47:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

QFT is not swearing. To that point, neither is the first quote. and WTF is an abbreviation of What in the seven seas...?

I'm pretty sure not honouring your promises isn't in the spirit of fairness, and therefore, puzzle pirates, or this forum.

Which is worse?

I'm pretty sure that seven seas doesn't begin with an f, oh, thats right, it's just a softening down of the actual meaning by the chat filter.

In the words of Dylan, please delete your account. Your apparent offense taken from my use of WTF (a common internet acronym) clearly shows you lack the maturity level required by this game. Possibly due to being underage.

Probably the fair play part, as this is what this topic is all about.
Rule #1, don't ask obvious questions in an attempt to confuse your opponents Learn how to win an arguement, without flooding the thread with one-line replies.

Postcounts++

He They did, and didn't publicly choose to rule out teams felt there was unfair play and therefore it's up to them whether they give out prizes or not.

Fixed - widget.

I'll have you know that I'm 15 years old, and will not be spoken to like that. Now, swearing publicly, however, clearly shows a lack of maturity to deal with the world properly and politely.

Go do a search for the S word on the forums. THAT is swearing - no one bats an eyelid. Btw - Welcome to Parley.

Edits: Not going to keep posting new replies....
#TeamPurple
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Sagacious at Jul 14, 2006 7:59:29 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 7:48:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

I'm pretty sure not honouring your promises isn't in the spirit of fairness, and therefore, puzzle pirates, or this forum.
[Jul 14, 2006 7:49:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

I'm pretty sure that seven seas doesn't begin with an f, oh, thats right, it's just a softening down of the actual meaning by the chat filter.
[Jul 14, 2006 7:51:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

By the way, what does QTF stand for then?
[Jul 14, 2006 7:52:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Your game, your rules, you get to decide what rules were implied. End of story.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jul 14, 2006 7:53:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

Which is worse?

Probably the fair play part, as this is what this topic is all about.
Rule #1, don't ask obvious questions in an attempt to confuse your opponents.
[Jul 14, 2006 7:53:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

Your game, your rules, you get to decide what rules were implied. End of story.

He did, and didn't publicly choose to rule out teams.
[Jul 14, 2006 7:54:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

Direct from about.com

Play Reverse Hide and Seek.
Instead of one person being the seeker while the rest hide, designate one person to hide. The rest of the group searches.

the only set of rules for "reverse hide and seek" I can find, say you can play as a group. I grew up playing hide and seek as 1 vs. a team of everyone else, ye cant just imply what the rules are. Its far to vague
[Jul 14, 2006 7:55:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

In the words of Dylan, please delete your account. Your apparent offense taken from my use of WTF (a common internet acronym) clearly shows you lack the maturity level required by this game. Possibly due to being underage.

I'll have you know that I'm 15 years old, and will not be spoken to like that. Now, swearing publicly, however, clearly shows a lack of maturity to deal with the world properly and politely.
As for the widespread use of the acronym, I, personally, would like to change that.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by natan_j at Jul 14, 2006 7:58:54 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 7:57:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

First of all, I'd like to point out that it was a joint decision as to whether or not to hold back part of the third place prize. You can see my name up there with a few others. So while some of you are aware that this was not a decision made by Shortyjack alone, I want to make sure the rest know.

Second, while it is my firm belief that working together with other people in an in-game hide and seek is an incredibly cheap tactic, I can't defend that belief, as it wasn't directly expressed in the rules.

However,

tarajayne wrote: 
Oh, my crew tells me to say that the people that were helping weren't necesarily in the contest.

I noticed that you didn't say that the people helping were definitely not in the contest, but I'm going out on a limb to assume that had it not been the case, there would be no need to post it. This brings me to my next point:

The Rules wrote: 

Backwards Hide and Seek (Fri July 14)
Free Entry
1st: 10k, Orange Daisy, Fish (Old)
2nd: 5k, Sand Dollar, Fish Skeleton
3rd: 5k, Lump of Coal, Fish Skeleton
Everyone who wishes to play will be asked to go to the Sips' Manor on Lagnaippe (ask for an invite or just come on in!) to start. While everyone is waiting to start. a list of several people will be hiding. The list of names will be added to the news in the throne room. Hints to their locations can also be found with /who <name>. The first 3 people to find everyone wins the prizes. If you decide to use a tell (typical greenie move) the person you are trying to find can either give you the answer or send you in the wrong direction. Once you find them you have to tell them I found you so they can send a tell to me and I can keep track with who found who.
Since there has been some confusion by a couple people let me clarify. When you find a person you CANNOT send them a tell saying I found you. You either must walk up to their circle or start a trade request so the person you found knows you were in the scene. If a hider feels like you did not really find him/her they do not need to send a tell back to me. Hopefully this prevents cheating.

Anybody who was involved in seeking was supposed to meet inside the manor prior to the "release" of the seekers into the arch. People who didn't meet inside the manor beforehand should have stayed away from this event. One does not enter a marathon and ask friends to take positions every 5 miles to relieve each other (Editing this sentence to qualify the point by stating that "relieve" is used in the context of "replace", as in "friends to not take over during the race". Apparently my choice of words is confusing people).

As one of the hiders, I was found by Bridalgirl, and after hearing that she had found most/all of the hiders, was surprised to see her return to my spot, leading another seeker directly to my position. I was also somewhat surprised to see in /fo that other hiders were experiencing the same delivery on a platter. This falls under my second point about how just because a tactic is cheap (and unfair to the other players) does not automatically make it illegal. If this was the only help that was being given, then while it is still debatable as to how fair a tactic it is, it can probably be stated as being "within the bounds of the posted rules".

As far as not being specific enough with events is concerned, nobody need worry about that for a while, as the events that have since transpired have made pretty sure that Shortyjack is not willing to host events for some time.

This situation has escalated considerably higher than is necessary, and I believe that it is best for both parties to learn from the experience and move on. I don't believe it was necessary for either of them to bring this into the forums, as it could have been settled within the game.

As far as being denied the prize, I don't have a lump of coal or a fish skeleton on me, but if it helps I will gladly pay Bridalgirl the 5000 poe, which she may then split with however many people did her work for her.

Also, for those of you defending teamwork by posting references that allow/encourage it: It's worth about as much as it would be for one of us to get webspace and devote a page to "how we play hide and seek". I'm not saying it's worthless, I'm just saying it's such a widespread and variable game that it doesn't add any weight to your particular argument.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PogoBeta at Jul 14, 2006 8:14:53 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 8:00:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

Now could we get back on topic? Personal attacks to try and take your opponent out of the running aren't exactly honourable tactics.
[Jul 14, 2006 8:02:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

By the way, what does QTF stand for then?

QFT stands for "Quoting for truth", and when used (especially as the sole content of a quoting reply) means that the poster stating "QFT" agrees with the overall statement of the text quoted.
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 14, 2006 8:07:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

Alright, now this post I'll keep updating instead of posting more, just to make you feel happy.

Go do a search for the S word on the forums. THAT is swearing - no one bats an eyelid. Btw - Welcome to Parley.

Actually, lots of more righteous people do more than bat an eyelid when even the C word is mentioned, and I personally have restricted myself to two exclamatory statements: Drat! Holy!

Also, parley is a short-term truce to disscuss matters peacefully, not a swear-fest.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by natan_j at Jul 14, 2006 8:12:25 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 8:10:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

Also, for those of you defending teamwork by posting references that allow/encourage it: It's worth about as much as it would be for one of us to get webspace and devote a page to "how we play hide and seek". I'm not saying it's worthless, I'm just saying it's such a widespread and variable game that it doesn't add any weight to your particular argument.

Tis exactly my point, there are far too many varients of hide and seek and enough of them that allow teamwork, to make it hard to say that teamwork is something that isnt allowed in hide and seek. I am definatly not saying that there is a definative set of rules for H&S.

And if ye saw it happening during the event and thought it was cheating, ye coulda atelast told her to stop, as to not hurt the standing of anyone she talked or was next to.

And last i checked, marathon runners always have their friends come help and give em water every few miles... ...
[Jul 14, 2006 8:11:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

Alright, now this post I'll keep updating instead of posting more, just to make you feel happy.

Actually, lots of more righteous people do more than bat an eyelid when even the C word is mentioned, and I personally have restricted myself to two exclamatory statements: Drat! Holy!

I think the issue there is your personal preference, and the fact that Parley is not a place where berating people over their choice of expletive is going to do you a lot of good.
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 14, 2006 8:12:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
natan_j

And so, like I said before,

Now could we get back on topic?

[Jul 14, 2006 8:14:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

And last i checked, marathon runners always have their friends come help and give em water every few miles... ...

My mistake, for using a word with multiple meanings. I've edited my post accordingly.
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 14, 2006 8:15:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BenjeminR

Also, parley is a short-term truce to disscuss matters peacefully, not a swear-fest.

LOL..... and last i checked the topic for this thread is about an event prize, not you freaking out about some internet short hand.
Legacee
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BenjeminR at Jul 14, 2006 8:18:54 PM]
[Jul 14, 2006 8:16:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

LOL.....

QFT
Pogo on Midnight

[Jul 14, 2006 8:18:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 209   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates