• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 209
Posts: 209   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16485 times and has 208 replies Next Thread
Sagacious

Re: Were we wrong?

But the law does say you are not allowed to kill yer cat. And putting it in the freezer is killin yer cat.

Relevance to this discussion - nil.
----------------------------------------
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Jul 15, 2006 1:55:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

And common sense also tells me that a greenie is going to go around asking for anyone and everyone they can for help... if ye dont want a greenie or someone acting like a greenie to do this, ye gatta tell em.

I mean how many greenies have you seen that dont go around asking people for help? If ye dont want us to act like greenies in a game where we are to be acting like greenies, ye gata say so.
[Jul 15, 2006 1:56:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emilyeeeee

But it does not specifically state that I cannot put it in the freezer.

"Hey tart, I'm going to dig up your dead ancestors and scupper their bones o look I got one in the eye socket HAHAHAHA."

[Jul 15, 2006 1:57:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

But it does not specifically state that I cannot put it in the freezer.

Yeah, but its covered in the very simple, dont kill yer cat rule.

Just like it would be very easy to put in a no teams rule and have a bunch of techicalities covered by it.
[Jul 15, 2006 1:58:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emilyeeeee

Oh wait.... I should make that connection myself?
I do not understand how putting my cat in the freezer would kill it.
You don't understand how working together with other people in a contest would make it unfair for the others.

"Hey tart, I'm going to dig up your dead ancestors and scupper their bones o look I got one in the eye socket HAHAHAHA."

[Jul 15, 2006 2:00:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

No i assumed that it would be ok for others to ask for help also... like they were greenies, asking people for help.
[Jul 15, 2006 2:00:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

But since it wasn't greenies who are involved in this discussion, they also have nil relevance to this conversation.
#TeamPurple
[Jul 15, 2006 2:02:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emilyeeeee

So you ARE an idiot?

I just had a quick discussion with a friend... would you rather people think you cheated or that you cannot comprehend something a 3rd grader playing at recess would understand.

He suggested it would be better for people to think you are an idiot, because then you still might get the prize.

[Jul 15, 2006 2:03:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Thews wrote: 
No i mean, if I told other contestants who were not in my crew where someone was...

But the law does say you are not allowed to kill yer cat. And putting it in the freezer is killin yer cat.

I just dont see how it is possible to fiarly implement a rule that says no outside help.

I could DQ anyone I wanted by sending them a tell saying where smoeone was.

Bolded reply: Then I'd look at stopping the event right then and there, and everyone would win whatever prize was associated with how far they got into the event. Except you. Also, you'd be banned from any other events I helped put together/run. Additionally, I'd probably be looking to PvP you over the course of a week or so.

Italicized reply: So what kind of help do you receive to win a tourny? Do you have your friends start spamming the game chat or spamming your opponents with /tells, so that maybe they get distracted and you win?

You ran out of straws to grasp at about 4 pages ago. Maybe you should just accept that you're wrong and move on.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jul 15, 2006 2:23:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

Greenies ask people for help. Its expected of them. I am just saying that it is reasonable for a tournament where we are supposed to be acting like greenies, that we can ask others for help. Espeically when there is nothing saying we cant.

A typical greenie move would send tells to anyone and everyone they could for help... even if it with something as silly as getting a new bandana.

Why would a greenie not ask for help finding people on an island?
[Jul 15, 2006 2:31:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheSeahag

Greenies ask people for help. Its expected of them. I am just saying that it is reasonable for a tournament where we are supposed to be acting like greenies, that we can ask others for help. Espeically when there is nothing saying we cant.

A typical greenie move would send tells to anyone and everyone they could for help... even if it with something as silly as getting a new bandana.

That's about the most insanely flawed argument that one in your position could make.

May god have mercy on our souls.
Briggs Says, "Dr. Hag is bringing the Prescription for pain!"
[Jul 15, 2006 2:42:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

That's about the most insanely flawed argument that one in your position could make.

Le sigh.

Untill someone can show me a rule that says reverse hide and seek is not played with teams, when i have found example of reverse hide and seek being played with teams, im outa here. there is no point. If common sense doesnt say follow the rules of the game, then that common sense doesnt have much sense.
[Jul 15, 2006 2:45:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

If we have established that four-year-olds know how to play hide and seek, and these idiots don't, can we lock the thread now please?

Dylan
[Jul 15, 2006 2:47:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Half your postcount stems from this thread- such a waste.

QFT
#TeamPurple
[Jul 15, 2006 2:47:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Le sigh.

Untill someone can show me a rule that says reverse hide and seek is not played with teams, when i have found example of reverse hide and seek being played with teams, im outa here. there is no point. If common sense doesnt say follow the rules of the game, then that common sense doesnt have much sense.

Um, wait you went to another site for rules to figure out how to play the game instead of asking me "the event planner who created the game to be played"? Yes, I didn't state no teams, but I've never played it with teams. If you want I'll go to a free website and put down my rules to please you. As stated before, hide and seek is played in numerous ways, not just the way you find it on the internet. When I created the game, I did not use search skills to find out how to play hide and seek. I just typed what was going through my head (probably how the loophole was created). I was playing the way I used to play as a little kid and like I said before, I never played with teams, it was considered cheating and we were put in time out and didn't get out cookies. :(

Thews, your arguement is flawed now. You are just making circles around yourself as everyone who posted is trying to point it out to you.

As for Bridalgirl and me, we will handle it in game from request of her soon to be hubby. Lock please. Keep it going I like to see where this is going to lead too next. :P

-Shortyjack
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Jul 15, 2006 2:52:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Sagacious wrote: 

*laffs* How funny is that coming from *you*?

pot, kettle; kettle, pot.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jul 15, 2006 2:57:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Sagacious wrote: 

*laffs* How funny is that coming from *you*?

pot, kettle; kettle, pot.

Dude, it's entirely different. All of Sagacious posts come from threads like this.
[Jul 15, 2006 2:58:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

Aye, i am sorry so many people got dragged into this. It was not my intention at all.

And its true i am just running circles. I just felt like i needed to defend myself against everyone who was attacking my arguments.

I will go back to my original argument and leave it at that. Some people think helping others in hide and seek is ok. Others do not.

Sense it was not specified it makes sense that some people would beleive helping is ok, and others would not.

And because of this, i dont think it is fair to call someone a cheeter just because they knew a different game of reverse hide and seek.

Again, sorry, and good day everyone.
[Jul 15, 2006 3:01:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fiddlesticks

Le sigh.

I have read almost the entire thread. And the number one problem I have is that you say.... ' But were supouse to be greenies!!1one!!!1' That's not good enough, just because the event is called that does not mean you have to act in an immature manner. Act your age, you know the game, and hopefully you have common sense. When I was a child and my friend helped my other friend find me, I got upset. It wasn't fair, they didn't help me find the other person so why should they help them? I called them a cheater and refused to play with them again, (eh, until the next hour or so :-p).

Second, Why are you looking online for rules of 'Reverse' Hide-n-seek, or another game. Unless the runner of the event pointed out that website for rules then it doesn't matter one bit. It has no refence to this arguement. You should have asked before hand, that way we wouldn't be here now. If teams were meant to be played then the runner of the event would have pointed it out. The event runner did the right thing, she talked with other people helping her and they all came to the same conclusion, the person that cheater should be awarded the prize mentioned. It was their choice, their event. They worked hard to put it together. I want you to try to run an event. It's not as easy as it seems, and to make sure every hole has a rule to cover it is near impossible. You just hope people are smart enough or atleast have the common sense to ask if they do see a hole.

Now, I have to go babysit, and she wants to play hide-n-seek I think I will say no, to many rules to cover.
Muffy's Princess
Idol on all oceans
Idol says, "That's why you love me"
Muffbeard says, "nope, I love you because there is no one else like you and I can't imagine not having you in my life =)"
[Jul 15, 2006 3:12:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2cucry

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=battle1vstartfaceqd3.jpg

PVP 1 :D
Anderson

Captain of the crew The Bluenoser's
Admiral of the Navy

Matrix says

"if you really wanna be loved try beat andy in ANYTHING, please were running out of ideas"

[Jul 15, 2006 3:41:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
query

I'm with Peanut on this. There's no way to cover all the loopholes, and anyone who expects event planners to do so is just trying to cover their own booty so they can cheat. Never assume you can team in an event unless it states explicitly that it's a team event.

I've helped many of my mates run their events, and I've participated in many, as well. Personally, the event runner is allowed to ref the event as they see fit. In any sort of game, not every rule is plainly stated for the fact that many are common sense. Uncertain about something? Ask. Oh, wait... That's a common sense thing to do.

Though she isn't using the words, her defense seems to be, "But we're pirates! Pirates cheat!"

PS: On the derail about swearing... Wow. Thump that Bible a bit harder, mate.
If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Jul 15, 2006 4:35:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
PittBull_4_L

no screenie sorry but you'll have to take Stuy's and Whitefire's word... PVP # 2
[Jul 15, 2006 5:49:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Though she isn't using the words, her defense seems to be, "But we're pirates! Pirates cheat!"

Actually, as I said before, the reported actions sounded more like a greenie than a pirate. Greenies, in my own personal experience, are clueless, obnoxious, greedy, and care nothing for any rules that keep them from getting their own way. If you require more proof, visit the docks or inn on any major island in any ocean.

Congratulations to the lass on placing in a competition for greenies. Now I suggest she work on learning to act better than that.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 15, 2006 7:26:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
query

Actually, as I said before, the reported actions sounded more like a greenie than a pirate. Greenies, in my own personal experience, are clueless, obnoxious, greedy, and care nothing for any rules that keep them from getting their own way. If you require more proof, visit the docks or inn on any major island in any ocean.

Which is exactly why I have a tourney board in my shack... I really do need to get a bigger place so I can have a game room. Inns are horrible with the spam of all sorts. DND is great for some things, but I've noticed the moment I turn it off to trade between a mate who isn't a hearty, I get bombarded with unwanted trades/challenges/"zomg! u hav a shak lik me! let me in 2 c urs!" alerts. Thanks to the spammers for ruining inns, but boosting the furnishing sales (I smell conspiracy!)!

/derail
If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Jul 15, 2006 7:35:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

Come to Eta. We don't get too many greenies in the Inn. The Bank swallows them all. Good bank. Sit... stay!!! Eta is overrun with greenies. Horrible place. Never go there. Avoid like the plague.

I've said it to Shortyjack in game, I'll say it here. No, you were not wrong. Your event, your rules. No explanations needed after the quite simple "Not in the Spirit of the Game" one.

May the tart-fest continue!!
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Jul 15, 2006 11:40:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiannah

Nope, I don't think you were wrong. Maybe someone already posted with this opinion, but there has been so much meaness in this thread, I didn't want to read it all. If you are working as a 'team', then the 'team' comes in 3rd place, why was a member of your 'team' trying to claim 4th place? The fact that 4th place wins nothing is irrelevant. I consider a 'team' to be a single entity. Spliting up and all trying to claim a finish place, is not a 'team'.
Tiannah
Curse of Phoenix Warriors
Lady of Tyr's Own
[Jul 16, 2006 1:29:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tiannahstar [Link]  Go to top 
wonkothes

Don't let this stuff get you down Shorty. Unfortunately something always seems to get misunderstood, or worse, in an event. Thanks for running this event.
Wonkots Governor of Wrasse
Cleaver wrote: 
Your new Penguin Overlords will be along shortly to begin the long and 'difficult' process of 'correction'."

[Jul 16, 2006 8:16:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

Aye, there are always missunderstandings. And again, sorry this got moved to the fourms and everyone got dragged in. I realize I am responsible for keeping much of the argument going, and that is something that most people clearly do not enjoy.

Keep on running events and run them well. Dont let me or anyone else ruin yer day. Its not worth it, we are here to play a game and have fun with hearties and friends.
[Jul 16, 2006 4:00:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

It's called unclear rules, it's not called cheating.

Have to ask, because it's something that I as a previous event planner had to deal with myself (Majorly screwy when half your contestants come in under a flag that has orders not to shoot at their own ships. I have learnt, I move forward).....

Did you ask for clarification about whether or not you were allowed to have people helping you BEFORE the event started?

If you didn't ask - you should have assumed that no it wasn't ok - because the prizes were solo prizes, it wasn't listed as a team event and common sense (which is unfortunately all too uncommon) would dictate that solo prize = solo work.

And I have to turn this around to the Event Coordinators as well - di you ask if everyone understood the rules before you started? Make sure there weren't any questions?

And I'll repeat what a number of people said here - and what I said during my event when we found we had a fairly massive problem (Bloody alliances on a blockade board - my fault for not telling people that they had to have NO alliances)

Your event. Your word is final. If there was no clear "Yes you can work in teams" stated and the issue came up - YOU as the event manager have to make the choice - while the event is running about what to do. You did that.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jul 17, 2006 4:06:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Event planning, increasingly, sucks. It sucks because people take take take and never give. It sucks because of twits who come up with "bigger, better" ways to cheat, then flip out when you expel them for it. It sucks because while we have responsibility foisted upon us, we're expected to be saintlike and holy and have endless reserves of patience, and if we don't, we're terrible people who should be tarted about on the forums.

We have to babysit people who enter events without reading the rules (It is so frustrating how often this happens.) We have to put up with people changing team lists and bugging us to change the rules when it's convenient for them and begging us for PoE (Did you know that all event planners are filthy rich? I didn't. I've got precisely 2 PoE in my account at the moment.) We have to put up with a, frankly, stupidly slow and barely-useful OM prize procurement system that routinely takes weeks to work. It's one of the most fun, but also the most stressful, things someone can do... and increasingly, the stress is starting to overtake.

Let me spell this out for you: You are not entitled to events. Until OOO starts paying event planners to entertain the population, we do this strictly volunteer, and often bankrupt or near-bankrupt ourselves in the process. When you break our events, in any way shape or form, by cheating or slagging off or abusing hosts and helpers or whatever else, that makes the planners that much less likely to ever stage another one. And, sure, it might mean you win a ZOGM HUIGE PRIZEE now, but down the road? You're just screwing yourself, and everyone else, over.

Feylind poured well over 200k into Sloop Blackjack. I spent several hours programming a registration system, writing full rules, and we both spent a few dozen more registering people, explaining things, promoting, and actually running it. That's hours of my life, and hers, that neither of us wants to spend on whiny cheaters, and honestly? I can't speak for her, but the more that people scream at event planners for stupid bullshit like this, the more I just want to stop doing it.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 3 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Jul 17, 2006 8:57:53 AM]
[Jul 17, 2006 8:54:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 209   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates