• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 209
Posts: 209   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16005 times and has 208 replies Next Thread
Koalarocker

Re: Were we wrong?

PTG, I do believe that post deserves a standing ovation.
----------------------------------------
Cannonade/Koalarocker
Occasionally, an avatar artist.

Did you exchange... your walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?
[Jul 17, 2006 10:05:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Don't worry, he's already doing it for himself.
[Jul 17, 2006 10:28:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

I hope he doesn't go blind.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Jul 17, 2006 11:58:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bobie

He's already got hairy palms.
Bendeall (Bo, if you know me)

Captain, Phoenicians. Related to teh BSBizzle.

Somewhat hostile, and not very helpful

http://boomytunes.serverroom.us:7660

Tune in, Rock out. Sometimes.
[Jul 17, 2006 12:46:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    BobieLaptop [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

He's already got hairy palms.

He gave you a massage as well?
[Jul 17, 2006 2:38:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Maybe from now on we should add two extra rules:

1. The event director reserves the right to change the rules at any time, or choose to remove people from the event at their discretion without a necessity to express a reason.
2. The event director's say is final, and no correspondance may be entered into thereafter.

It sounds very formal, but at least it covers us event hosts.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Jul 17, 2006 4:33:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Support for rule additions++
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Jul 17, 2006 4:34:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

When you're tired, hungry and mentally exhausted, the last thing you want is for some obnoxious little twit to come and shit on your event and moan and rant and complain, because they don't seem to understand all that's going on.

Even though I myself put little of my personal funds into my events, I pour a lot of time into them. While I do get lots of people thanking me for the events (and that is of course appreciated greatly), the ones who cry foul just completely ruin the event for you.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Jul 17, 2006 4:37:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Whiteout

Someone had asked me to post this.. Bridalgirl was pillying with VVV and well they attacked the bluenoser's .. regardless PVP#3 goes to DJ again.. for all those tarts out there keeping track
[Jul 17, 2006 4:51:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
query

1. The event director reserves the right to change the rules at any time, or choose to remove people from the event at their discretion without a necessity to express a reason.
2. The event director's say is final, and no correspondance may be entered into thereafter.

QFT (oooo! I'm swearing!)

Also, as someone who participated in Sloop Blackjack, I do have to give PTG a big hand for it. That was one of the best events I've participated in. As I remember (since I didn't get to join the second *cries*), I would've tossed out half the contestants the first time around since they didn't bother to read the rules, and preferred to delay the event by almost an hour due to them asking stupid questions about rules in the quite complete rules written out by PTG.

To Whiteout: Would you like some lettuce and oil to go with that spoiled wine you've got?
If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Jul 17, 2006 6:40:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
emilyeeeee

I'm actually not ready to jump that far. If it is something with OM donated prizes, I would expect some semblance of rules to be followed.
Just because a few people will try to rules lawyer anything, we shouldn't just jump to give event organizers sole discretion at who may win.

"Hey tart, I'm going to dig up your dead ancestors and scupper their bones o look I got one in the eye socket HAHAHAHA."

[Jul 17, 2006 7:03:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Thats a really bad idea. You make rules and you stick to them. In ambiguous areas, as was the case in this thread, the coordinator reserves the right to define the term as they see fit when it becomes an issue.
[Jul 17, 2006 7:15:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

I would just go with the good old "All decisions of the judges are final." meself.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jul 17, 2006 7:29:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
candieweezle

Le sigh.

Untill someone can show me a rule that says reverse hide and seek is not played with teams, when i have found example of reverse hide and seek being played with teams, im outa here. there is no point. If common sense doesnt say follow the rules of the game, then that common sense doesnt have much sense.

see www.xanga.com/candieweezle

Thank You! ;)
[Jul 17, 2006 10:17:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    theweez03    kandieweezle [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

Thats a really bad idea. You make rules and you stick to them. In ambiguous areas, as was the case in this thread, the coordinator reserves the right to define the term as they see fit when it becomes an issue.

I couldent agree more with this.
[Jul 17, 2006 10:54:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I'm a strong proponent of "don't be stupid" clauses... "stupid" as determined and dealt with entirely by the organizer.

Imagine this: You're at one of those radio competitions where five people have to touch some part of a car for as long as they can, and whoever takes their hand off last wins. Now, technically speaking, I could whip out a pistol and pick off the other four people, and win the car since I highly doubt there's a "don't kill people" clause in the contest rules. Does that make it responsible or acceptable or something I shouldn't be disqualified for?
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Jul 18, 2006 8:33:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Good catch.

How about 'minor adjustments to the rules'? Then, 'choose to remove people from the event at any time, without having to express a valid reason until afterwards.

But then again, this rule is to stop the contestants from doing ambiguous things. Would the event host then abuse things? Can we not rely on good faith any more?

(This is not a rant, mind you. Just brainstorming.)

Like a bad penny.
[Jul 18, 2006 8:45:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Well, is anyone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to participate in the event, if you find the rules too ambigous?

If the OMs find that an event is too open to abuse, from either side of the counter, they won't support it. Yes, it's possible to stage events without OM support, much like it's possible to cross the North Atlantic in a rowboat.

There is no way that anyone would ever be able to predict every possible fashion in which someone may cheat at something, and trying to is futile. There needs to be an element of flexibility in the rules.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Jul 18, 2006 8:53:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quiglin

Ptg wrote: 
If the OMs find that an event is too open to abuse, from either side of the counter, they won't support it. Yes, it's possible to stage events without OM support, much like it's possible to cross the North Atlantic in a rowboat.

I would like to nip this one in the bud now and not perpetuate this opinion. There are plenty of events, great events, that are and have been planned and executed without an OceanMaster's touch. I am not talking an ocean broadcast, but I helped planned Silver Dawn's 24hr bash a couple years ago (srsly?!?) and besides a couple of ocean broadcasts, we did it without the OMs.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like seeing event planning in the hands of the pirates, and if you want to go for something, you should not feel like you need an OM to bless your project. There are plenty of resources out there to help you...just tap in.
[Jul 18, 2006 9:19:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.quiglin.com    bquiglin    bquiglin [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

Event planning, increasingly, sucks. It sucks because people take take take and never give. It sucks because of twits who come up with "bigger, better" ways to cheat, then flip out when you expel them for it. It sucks because while we have responsibility foisted upon us, we're expected to be saintlike and holy and have endless reserves of patience, and if we don't, we're terrible people who should be tarted about on the forums. etc.

I'm late in on this, but once again, I <3 you.

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
Chaotic Neutral/Sushicide Royal/avatar by Cattrin
[Jul 18, 2006 9:32:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Ptg wrote: 

I would like to nip this one in the bud now and not perpetuate this opinion. There are plenty of events, great events, that are and have been planned and executed without an OceanMaster's touch. I am not talking an ocean broadcast, but I helped planned Silver Dawn's 24hr bash a couple years ago (srsly?!?) and besides a couple of ocean broadcasts, we did it without the OMs.
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like seeing event planning in the hands of the pirates, and if you want to go for something, you should not feel like you need an OM to bless your project. There are plenty of resources out there to help you...just tap in.
You know what? That's actually very true, so let me rephrase.

Working individually, it's nearly impossible to stage events without OM assistance. When you get a flag or similarly like-minded group, even just a mid-sized one, and work on an event, it can totally happen without intervention, although I still think it should be sought, simply because cooler prizes + OM promotion tools (Broadcast, Notice Board, stickies, etc.) = more turnout = more fun for everybody. (Ack, I've trapped myself again. I firmly think that the coolest prizes are "appropiate" prizes as opposed to the meaningless-but-expensive "bird octopus monkey gold rags" fare... but that being said, "WIN A FAMILIAR" definetly gets people in the gates.)

There are some independently wealthy pirates who can, of course, break this rule several times over. But most event planners aren't, and most people interested in helping with events but who aren't quite there yet definetly aren't. My own damn fault for speaking in absolutes, regardless.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Jul 18, 2006 9:52:33 AM]
[Jul 18, 2006 9:51:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Someone had asked me to post this.. Bridalgirl was pillying with VVV and well they attacked the bluenoser's .. regardless PVP#3 goes to DJ again.. for all those tarts out there keeping track

Post of the thread.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Jul 18, 2006 10:12:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thews

I'm a strong proponent of "don't be stupid" clauses... "stupid" as determined and dealt with entirely by the organizer.

Imagine this: You're at one of those radio competitions where five people have to touch some part of a car for as long as they can, and whoever takes their hand off last wins. Now, technically speaking, I could whip out a pistol and pick off the other four people, and win the car since I highly doubt there's a "don't kill people" clause in the contest rules. Does that make it responsible or acceptable or something I shouldn't be disqualified for?

*warning, this is not in any way related to the topic at hand, it is just random trivia*

For what its worth one of my friends back in highschool did try one of the competitions once. His plan was to try to sholder check everyone else off the car... but as it turns out, there was a no touching or harming other contestant clause in the rules. Which i am fairly sure would cover killing them also :)
[Jul 18, 2006 2:52:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

-_- I would like to point out that some people believe Shortyjack "called in" PVPs against Bridalgirl. This isn't the case. She and I have both been invited to these PVPs and have declined.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Jul 18, 2006 3:07:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emilyeeeee

Unless Shortyjack specifically stated that she did not want people to PvP Bridalgirl, then she wants them to.

That's how this works now.

"Hey tart, I'm going to dig up your dead ancestors and scupper their bones o look I got one in the eye socket HAHAHAHA."

[Jul 18, 2006 4:00:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Blackfletch

Unless Shortyjack specifically stated that she did not want people to PvP Bridalgirl, then she wants them to.

It is? She's not allowed to not give a rat's booty about the issue? Hrm....

Does that mean that because I've never said I don't want people to PvP Mercenary that I want them to?
Blackfletch

How many small shot does it take to sink a Grand Frigate? One.
[Jul 18, 2006 4:09:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.seraphsnightmare.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
quiglin

Blackfletch wrote: 
Does that mean that because I've never said I don't want people to PvP Mercenary that I want them to?

I think based on the un-logic used in this thread, it might.
[Jul 19, 2006 8:13:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.quiglin.com    bquiglin    bquiglin [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Blockade Eta in the name of Blackfletch!
[Jul 19, 2006 9:23:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Blockade Eta in the name of Blackfletch!

He *winkwink* didn't *winkwink* tell me to.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jul 19, 2006 9:52:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 209   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates