• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 48
Posts: 48   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5796 times and has 47 replies Next Thread
los45

GRRR..

I'm on the edge of quitting this game, I am constantly being insulted just because i'm 17 years old. Younger people seem to think that 17 year olds go out partying 24/7 and i get flooded with insults.

The older part of the community 20+ Are patronizing to me which makes me angry. I don't come on this game to get constantly insulted, i come on here to have a break from life and have a few laughs. I have no friends on this game either. I just give up...
----------------------------------------
Losst on Midnight.
[Jul 10, 2006 1:24:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: GRRR..

You don't need to tell anyone how old you are. When asked something asl-ish by someone I don't want to tell, I say I'm a year and a half old and I live on Byrne Island. Or you can just say "That's private" and move on to a new topic of conversation.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jul 10, 2006 1:32:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

1) A lot of the bad things in the game come from people around your age. I'm not saying "all", and I certainly don't have the data to say "most," but it is a lot. You are meeting folks who have had to deal with many really sucky 17-year-olds. You have certainly met some of them yourself by now.

2) Stop telling people you're 17; don't provide your age until you know people really well. I've seen people SHOCK others when they revealed they were 14, 17, and 50+ -- but that was because they revealed this to others long after the relationships were set.
[Jul 10, 2006 1:35:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
evilbob71

I have been here for over a yr and have only told maybe 10 people at most my age. I suggest you do what sweetiepiepi said, change the subject or don't tell them. On the same note, there is no sense in talking to people who are like that. I myself have not had a problem with anyone and I suggest you find people who don't care about age. There are a lot of them, just keep looking.

Rebe
Rome wrote:

erm, Rebe, I thank you, I'm not really the person on the "hang you' bandwagon"

[Jul 10, 2006 1:47:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

I know plenty of established pirates who are under 18.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jul 10, 2006 2:23:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Lochmeup

It is sad that people judge you by age, but if you act the stereotype, then they are justified. I know some 16 year old kids that act more mature than me at times. (Shush Pie)
Mercenary
[Jul 10, 2006 2:25:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

I know some 16 year old kids that act more mature than me at times. (Shush Pie)

Well, that's not terribly difficult.

Not Pie.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Jul 10, 2006 2:28:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

If it's from the same group of people, you might want to find diff people to hang out with, or be around. Also people above gave good advice, and most of them are sane, dunno about the merc dude, but you can trust pie.
Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Jul 10, 2006 3:36:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

If it's from the same group of people, you might want to find diff people to hang out with, or be around. Also people above gave good advice, and most of them are sane, dunno about the merc dude, but you can trust pie.
Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Jul 10, 2006 3:39:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

If they harass you a lot... you always can complain...

I'm 106 from the North Pole :-P
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Jul 10, 2006 4:10:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

Aye actually one of me best friends on this game is even younger than that and she is may maid of honor in me pirate wedding :) Age matters none to me. In fact, I had some greenies convinced I was 73 and Dean was 90. That was fun!
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Jul 10, 2006 4:23:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I was a 17-year-old pirate for half a year, and I daresay I've only been treated poorly for my own spurts of asshatness. What people have said about just not raising the point rings very true... but something I'd like to add: anyone who would judge you exclusively by your age isn't someone who's opinion you should give a damn about anyway. There are plenty of cool people who don't care how old you are, and treat cool 14-year-olds the same way they treat cool 50-year-olds.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Jul 10, 2006 4:57:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
satin11

Hear hear, Peeteegee:)
Until recently, I was in a very large flag on Cobalt, and the people in varied greatly in age, from 14 or so, to 30' and 40's. Pretty much all of them don't give a whit about age, everyone was treated fairly equally regardless. the only time age came into question was when a player acted like a 2 yr old... and sometimes those players were in the upper reaches of the age group I mentioned...lol.
Some people will treat others badly, regardless of age, also. If someone is mean spirited, they will find a reason to be mean or rude to others no matter what, that's a flaw in them, and the only thing you can do is to not be around them.
So I would have to go with the advice already given, find different people to talk to:) If you decide to move to Cobalt, send me a tell sometime, I'll talk to ya as long as you don't act like a jackanapes :P

Satin
Cobalt
~Satin~
Cobalt/Sage
Nem wrote: 
I think this is the first thread I've seen that claims there aren't enough 'donkeys' in the game. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong pirates.

[Jul 10, 2006 5:17:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/satin1111111/ [Link]  Go to top 
dchow

You don't need to tell anyone how old you are. When asked something asl-ish by someone I don't want to tell, I say I'm a year and a half old and I live on Byrne Island. Or you can just say "That's private" and move on to a new topic of conversation.

you're 92! i have logs!
Things in my past I can never change.
[Jul 10, 2006 7:46:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
v76odessa

Aye actually one of me best friends on this game is even younger than that and she is may maid of honor in me pirate wedding :) Age matters none to me. In fact, I had some greenies convinced I was 73 and Dean was 90. That was fun!

Wait....... I though Dean really was 90, or was that 89 1/2 ?
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"
[Jul 10, 2006 9:48:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
v76odessa

1) A lot of the bad things in the game come from people around your age.

I have met sucky people of all ages and I havent noticed that one age group sticks out anymore than others.

With the exception of the mates in thier 90's....../me shakes fist at thier awsomeness.......61 years left till I achive coolness
Vova

Home at Dies Irae.

Harrjm tells you " I always wished I could grow up to be you"
[Jul 10, 2006 10:02:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lochmeup

/me whacks Leif. Go invade England. :P

Teeg on many times has acted more mature than our whole crew (not saying much however). Act the stereotype and you will be treated as such.
Mercenary
[Jul 10, 2006 10:58:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

Wait....... I though Dean really was 90, or was that 89 1/2 ?

Lolz he could be but I would call it 89.5, or maybe 89.324987234. The greenie thought he must be 90 because he said he had heartburn, and that's what 90 year olds have. I'm only 73 because he likes the younger women you know ;)
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Jul 10, 2006 11:41:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Looseweed

sink dem
[Jul 11, 2006 6:14:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Koalarocker

I like Looseweed's advice =D

I'm a little younger than you, but I've adopted the attitude that if my age matters to them, they don't matter to me. My crew accepts me for who I am as a pirate, because although I'm younger than many of them I've been playing a bit longer than some of them, or at least in the crew longer. When they find out my age they're often surprised, and that's the way I like it - it shows that I'm acting mature enough not to irritate the life out of everyone else, making my actual age a bit irrelevant.

The same applies to any problems in game - don't let people ruin it for you with their prejudiced attitudes and rudeness...

We have real life for that. =S
Cannonade/Koalarocker
Occasionally, an avatar artist.

Did you exchange... your walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?
[Jul 11, 2006 7:31:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Chow ciao wrote: 
you're 92! i have logs!

93. Pay attention Grannypiepi.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jul 11, 2006 12:12:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lochmeup

I coulda swore you said you were 3...
Mercenary
[Jul 11, 2006 12:15:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

When I started playing I was 16. I'm sure it showed from time to time, but overall I just kept acting like other players did, mature and repectful. I defintely had my young moments, but hey you live and learn. When I was 17 I was met with surprise from a few people when they learned my age. I don't feel anyone thought different of me after they did though.

Now, going on 20 in a couple months, I don't think people think much about my age one way or the other. I actually feel, so much older now then I did then. A few years back there weren't nearly as many young players. I felt like one of the youngest. Now, everytime I log on I meet players who are 13, 14, 15 years old, or younger.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jul 17, 2006 12:36:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bobie

I mean. I know I age discriminate all the time.

Teeg, you're that young? Sorry dude, time to give you the boot.
Bendeall (Bo, if you know me)

Captain, Phoenicians. Related to teh BSBizzle.

Somewhat hostile, and not very helpful

http://boomytunes.serverroom.us:7660

Tune in, Rock out. Sometimes.
[Jul 17, 2006 12:48:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    BobieLaptop [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I'm 18 now, remember? Blackwood bought me some kick-ass new pants, you just gave me crabs.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Jul 18, 2006 8:30:43 AM]
[Jul 18, 2006 8:30:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bobie

Our love is like burning.
Bendeall (Bo, if you know me)

Captain, Phoenicians. Related to teh BSBizzle.

Somewhat hostile, and not very helpful

http://boomytunes.serverroom.us:7660

Tune in, Rock out. Sometimes.
[Jul 18, 2006 8:36:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    BobieLaptop [Link]  Go to top 
vicseng

Strange I've never had age come up when I talk to people.
Well, I'm 17 aswell, just thought I'd get it out there.
I really just don't talk to people unless they talk to me XP
and they've all been nice when they do.
[Jul 18, 2006 1:45:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

You should see a doctor. There's probably a cream for that.

Edit: As for the issue at hand, I'm going to put in my two cents. There are a few people in my crews that are underage. I personally feel uncomfortable talking to a few of them, but that is because I personally do not relate with people younger than me. I don't even relate to people MY age. I also feel that I don't want to be the one to further the corruption of a minor's brain, and I, in case you hadn't noticed, lack a trustworthy mind to finger filter. There are several of my mates that are underage that I'd never have known had they not told me, and since my memory is crap, I simply ask them never to remind me so that we can continue to converse as equals and not as adult babysitter to underage child. Imagine feeling like an adult in a Peanuts cartoon. Wah wah wah, wah wahwah wah. I will never get Barney, and ten year olds are not going to get Jon Stewart, these are facts of life. PTG is right, don't make it a factor, bring it up when asked, and if you don't handle yourself as an immature child, nobody worth knowing is going to care that you're 17. 13, maybe, but 17? No. 17 is a dirty fantasy for some ladies ;)

Edit 2: See? Untrustworthy mind to finger filter. But it's true, so I'm not changing it.

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
Chaotic Neutral/Sushicide Royal/avatar by Cattrin
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Erfan at Jul 18, 2006 2:06:24 PM]
[Jul 18, 2006 1:56:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

You should see a doctor. There's probably a cream for that.
<insert rant>

That is exactly what I don't like. People will have great chats with me. Don't care what it's about. It's not like under-age people know nothing about sex and still think mom and dad kiss and mom gets pregnant. Maybe you should really forget their age. See them as another one of you. It'll make it more enjoyable.

Ofcourse, this only works if they don't act like they need a babysitter.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Jul 18, 2006 4:21:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Erfan

Erfan wrote: 
I also feel that I don't want to be the one to further the corruption of a minor's brain

I do not even pretend to think that children today are not corrupted by age seven. Either way, sometimes there are things a twelve year old should not hear. I just don't want it on my conscience that kids know things they shouldn't, and maybe didn't already know, because they saw it written by me.

Edit: Example, that's the reason I never smoked in front of anyone under the age of "teenage rebel" when I did smoke. Children are impressionable, and if you're the image of cool as the red head in a leather jacket and fishnets puffing on a cigarette, you are that ten year old's idol and they will immitate you as soon as possible. As far as any child that has ever seen me knows, I don't curse, no sex til you're 30, I've never smoked or touched alcohol in my life and only you can prevent forest fires.

Nemesis says, "Since Erfan joined us, let me just give a blanket, totally not directed at anyone (ERFAN), warning that certain topics are not to be talked about on the docks."
Chaotic Neutral/Sushicide Royal/avatar by Cattrin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Erfan at Jul 18, 2006 4:57:52 PM]
[Jul 18, 2006 4:54:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitter.com/erfan    YPPErfan [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 48   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates