• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 167
Posts: 167   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 82597 times and has 166 replies Next Thread
On_The_Rocks

Box Edition Reply to this Post

Hi, I just installed the box edition of the game and it doesn't work. It says that temporary network outage babble. But I can get on through the play now tab of the web site. Is there some patch I need to fix the box edition up, or has it just been abandoned?
----------------------------------------
Tenuous - Obsidian
[Jul 4, 2006 3:24:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
leefilmer

Re: Box Edition Reply to this Post

hey

i had the same issue last week - i think it coz they moved server.
I just downloaded it from the site and redeemed the CD key on my account u dont get the offline stuff but u can still play and get yer inheritance

:) happy pillaging
Portsmouth 2008!! Details coming soon

Chimira proud SO of Serendipity on the Hunter Ocean
[Jul 4, 2006 4:26:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
On_The_Rocks

Where do you go to redeem the cd key? And am I mistaken or can you not download the game anymore. All I can do is initialize through that silly play now button.
Tenuous - Obsidian
[Jul 4, 2006 7:07:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

You can still play the offline version if you don't mind 2 separate installations of Puzzle Pirates.

Go to this web page to redeem your CD key:
https://billing.puzzlepirates.com/billing/redeem_cdkey.wm

Faulkston,
:-)
[Jul 4, 2006 9:34:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
thespian

You can still play the offline version if you don't mind 2 separate installations of Puzzle Pirates.

Go to this web page to redeem your CD key:

Faulkston,
:-)

I was just coming to see about this. I just installed the game on my mother's machine so that she could play it, and want her to have access to the offline play (I never use it, I just wanted the savvy hat). I really don't want to have to explain to my mother that she needs to use different versions of the software to do different things.

Devs: I know the box set isn't really working out for OOO, but would it be possible to write a patch so that people don't need to take up twice the hard drive space for the same game?

Thes.

Thespian says, "you have a doll, you selfish meanie. I just have a vulva."
Peeteegee says, "Hey, I picked out the colours for your vulva."
Nemesis says, "I'm...leaving now."

[Jul 4, 2006 6:53:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

Disclaimer: I am not a dev, or an OM, or employed by OOO in any other capacity. (Really.) Nor am I an official computer fixit person - everything I know is from my own messing around. Please don't yell at me if what I suggest makes things go boom. (It shouldn't screw up more than YPP, but just in case...)

Directions written from Windows XP, with a fresh-out-of-the-preordered-box install. Just on the off chance that that makes any difference at all. ;) The box's default install path is C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Puzzle Pirates, and that's the path I'll be using. You will need to know a little bit about computers to understand this, though I'm trying to write it as simply as possible.

This is built on the theory that if you can get the client to connect to a server, it'll still correctly update itself. I've run this sequence myself, and have a box edition that is currently connecting just fine to all five oceans. It takes maybe ten to twenty minutes, most of that being downloading and installation time.

Before you start, download Liz's config.jar file to your desktop. If you're not sure where it is, check here.

Open your box edition folder. Most of the time this should be in My Computer, C:, Program Files, Ubisoft, Puzzle Pirates. You can close everything except the Puzzle Pirates folder.

Inside the Puzzle Pirates folder, there's a folder named "code." Open that. It should have about 8 files in it - the only one you care about is "config.jar." Click on that, and either drag it to your Recycle Bin, or tap Delete on your keyboard and say "yes, delete this."

Now drag the config.jar file on your Desktop into the folder. You might need to move the window to see the file. Once that's done, you can close any open folders.

Open the box client however you usually do - probably a shortcut on your desktop. Go into the online client if it doesn't open there automatically, and put in a correct username and password. I recommend hitting Change and trying to connect to Sage or Hunter, listed as "m.ocean_sage" and "m.ocean_hunter," if you still can't get a connection on another ocean. (Hunter and Sage are not forwarding through Liz's server, so connecting to either of them bypasses her computer completely.)

If all goes well, your client should do the "out of date" bit that it always does. It's a longer than usual download and install, catching up on over a year of updates, but when it's finally done, it should work perfectly normally.

I was reluctant to suggest this course until I'd tested it - but it works quite well, and is a simple enough process that most people should have no trouble with it. Note, also, that I don't know how booched the single-player game is - I haven't checked that. Updates between the CD build and now have been known to booch it, despite efforts to fix it, so definitely don't get rid of your CD yet. ;)

Hope it works for everyone. :)
Now in a special Hunter flavor.
[Jul 4, 2006 7:52:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Here's a patched config.jar file that should be plopped in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Puzzle Pirates\code\ that will allow you to connect to the ocean servers and allow you to grab the patch to the latest version of the code:

http://www.rustycutlass.org/support/box/config.jar (right-click, save as...)
[Jul 5, 2006 8:28:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
On_The_Rocks

Thanks Liz, your a legend.
Tenuous - Obsidian
[Jul 18, 2006 9:48:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robrats

It didnt work for me... it said something about Cannot find, something or another.... i really need help
?Gruntinchunk?would?looove?some?attention?
[Jul 23, 2006 8:07:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    cokeadaykeepspepsiaway [Link]  Go to top 
cuddlycurr

Yay Liz! <33333
errors make me very sad ;_;
thanks for making them go away
[Jul 27, 2006 5:19:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teddy_Ruxpin

I moved the file to where you said, but my box edition still won't work. Do I have to download the free version of the game in order to play?? if so, where do I find the download for it?
[Jul 29, 2006 8:53:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rowdyreggie

Oy!

How do I get my inheritance? I see the boxed version doesn't work (bad PR by the way folks). Finally found that after 24hrs of being down due to the "network error" and I uninstalled & loaded the version from online. But I want my sword!

Cannot figure out how to get it and since the search portion of PP is down I can't look up to see if it is online anywhere. Ideas anyone??
Puzzle Pirates -- the only world where I can buy off the rack clothes!
[Jul 30, 2006 9:57:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

The boxed version doesn't work because we changed datacenters. Install the regular box version again, then apply the patch listed in this sticky thread to be able to connect and update.

When you install the box version, it should pop open a browser window that will allow you to enter your CD key and apply it to your account. When you log on with the cdkey-activated account, you'll see the mission on the notice board.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lizthegrey at Jul 30, 2006 10:07:10 PM]
[Jul 30, 2006 10:05:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
NoraDougall

Mrrr, I've downloaded the patch, but my box version still doesn't seem to want to work. It still says theres a network outage or the server is down.
[Aug 2, 2006 8:32:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Mrrr, I've downloaded the patch, but my box version still doesn't seem to want to work. It still says theres a network outage or the server is down.

Do you have a software firewall or other internet filtering software?
[Aug 2, 2006 9:26:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
NoraDougall

Do you have a software firewall or other internet filtering software?

no, but i've managed to get it to work now. nevermind ^^;
[Aug 2, 2006 10:05:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraggard

Lizthegrey wrote: 
The boxed version doesn't work because we changed datacenters. Install the regular box version again, then apply the patch listed in this sticky thread to be able to connect and update.

When you install the box version, it should pop open a browser window that will allow you to enter your CD key and apply it to your account. When you log on with the cdkey-activated account, you'll see the mission on the notice board.

I may be wrong with this, but isn't this exactly the problem that DNS is supposed to prevent?

Does the boxed edition have the IP hard coded into it?

Or did you have to change the URL when you moved to the new datacenter?
Avatar used by permission of Scupperer
erfan wrote: 
It's not his, honey. He's posting pictures of other guys' snakes to make himself feel better because his isn't as impressive.

[Aug 2, 2006 12:57:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
t0tal

n/m
Jabez
[Edit 1 times, last edit by t0tal at Aug 2, 2006 3:11:25 PM]
[Aug 2, 2006 1:00:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

The IP address was hardcoded for the longest time. It's since been changed to DNS, of course, but wasn't so at the time the box release went gold.
[Aug 2, 2006 1:24:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Kaibaman2004

I had to delete Puzzle Pirates, because I had to reinstall windows (damn thing gone berzerk on me), and I have Pirates installed again, with the patch. But it attempts to download but it asys it cannot download the nessessary files after 5 attempts.
Any suggestions? Also, I would download the original version of Pirates, but I have dial-up so it'll probably take me about 3-4 hours.
Midnight: Hidendra
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kaibaman2004 at Aug 3, 2006 7:09:47 AM]
[Aug 3, 2006 7:08:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidendra_7    Hidendra [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Few things to try:
Uninstall/reinstall the box client.
Launch the box client the first time without the patch installed and make sure it starts up, then apply the patch.

Make sure you're not running a software firewall or other internet blocking software.
[Aug 3, 2006 10:48:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Kaibaman2004

I tried all of that Liz, and without the patch it seemed to try to download again. Uninstalled/reinstalled my box set.
Odd.
Edit: I have no Firewall/etc installed.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kaibaman2004 at Aug 4, 2006 11:38:22 AM]
[Aug 4, 2006 11:32:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidendra_7    Hidendra [Link]  Go to top 
jaym2k5

I tried all of that Liz, and without the patch it seemed to try to download again. Uninstalled/reinstalled my box set.
Odd.

Here be a quick explanation, of what i did to get it working.
Put in the Disk. Open Program Files (C:\Program Files) go onto Ubisoft. Then Puzzle Pirates, there should be a folder named 'code'.

Open the 'code' folder. There'l be a file named 'config.jar'. Delete this file, download the config jar, in Liz's earlier post, on pg 1. Drag or Copy and Paste this file into 'code' Then open the client, try to log onto hunter, then the patching will come up, go through that then yer ready to play!
Jamezrob. - Banned.
[Aug 5, 2006 1:28:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaibaman2004

Odd.

Here be a quick explanation, of what i did to get it working.
Put in the Disk. Open Program Files (C:\Program Files) go onto Ubisoft. Then Puzzle Pirates, there should be a folder named 'code'.

Open the 'code' folder. There'l be a file named 'config.jar'. Delete this file, download the config jar, in Liz's earlier post, on pg 1. Drag or Copy and Paste this file into 'code' Then open the client, try to log onto hunter, then the patching will come up, go through that then yer ready to play!

....No. If you read up some, I already did that. When I open Pirates with the patched config.jar, it attempts to download but it can't have 5 attempts.
I'll download the non box-set version later.
[Aug 6, 2006 4:02:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidendra_7    Hidendra [Link]  Go to top 
renee151

oi! i'm havin the same problem.i can't work the box set an i can't even play thru the internet way.i aslo can not download the internet version of the game - odd it just started today,it says the applet java file is corrupt.how do you fix that?
i need help
Duckiewillow:Captain an Queen on the Cobalt ocean
Catwoman:SO an Princess on Midnight
[Aug 10, 2006 7:23:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smokinblue

Here's a patched config.jar file that should be plopped in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Puzzle Pirates\code\ that will allow you to connect to the ocean servers and allow you to grab the patch to the latest version of the code:

http://www.rustycutlass.org/support/box/config.jar (right-click, save as...)

Any patches for Mac???? Please???? And am I safe in assuming that I can't get my special box-buyer items?
[Aug 11, 2006 10:21:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Same patch works for Mac - right-click the Puzzle Pirates icon, Show Package Contents, navigate to Contents/Resources/Java/code, drag the config.jar into there.

To redeem your box items:
[Aug 11, 2006 11:44:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
laurelllama

wait, how the heck do you do that? i don't understand!! :'(
[Aug 12, 2006 5:53:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
laurelllama

Disclaimer: I am not a dev, or an OM, or employed by OOO in any other capacity. (Really.) Nor am I an official computer fixit person - everything I know is from my own messing around. Please don't yell at me if what I suggest makes things go boom. (It shouldn't screw up more than YPP, but just in case...)

Directions written from Windows XP, with a fresh-out-of-the-preordered-box install. Just on the off chance that that makes any difference at all. ;) The box's default install path is C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Puzzle Pirates, and that's the path I'll be using. You will need to know a little bit about computers to understand this, though I'm trying to write it as simply as possible.

This is built on the theory that if you can get the client to connect to a server, it'll still correctly update itself. I've run this sequence myself, and have a box edition that is currently connecting just fine to all five oceans. It takes maybe ten to twenty minutes, most of that being downloading and installation time.

Before you start, download Liz's config.jar file to your desktop. If you're not sure where it is, check here.

Open your box edition folder. Most of the time this should be in My Computer, C:, Program Files, Ubisoft, Puzzle Pirates. You can close everything except the Puzzle Pirates folder.

Inside the Puzzle Pirates folder, there's a folder named "code." Open that. It should have about 8 files in it - the only one you care about is "config.jar." Click on that, and either drag it to your Recycle Bin, or tap Delete on your keyboard and say "yes, delete this."

Now drag the config.jar file on your Desktop into the folder. You might need to move the window to see the file. Once that's done, you can close any open folders.

Open the box client however you usually do - probably a shortcut on your desktop. Go into the online client if it doesn't open there automatically, and put in a correct username and password. I recommend hitting Change and trying to connect to Sage or Hunter, listed as "m.ocean_sage" and "m.ocean_hunter," if you still can't get a connection on another ocean. (Hunter and Sage are not forwarding through Liz's server, so connecting to either of them bypasses her computer completely.)

If all goes well, your client should do the "out of date" bit that it always does. It's a longer than usual download and install, catching up on over a year of updates, but when it's finally done, it should work perfectly normally.

I was reluctant to suggest this course until I'd tested it - but it works quite well, and is a simple enough process that most people should have no trouble with it. Note, also, that I don't know how booched the single-player game is - I haven't checked that. Updates between the CD build and now have been known to booch it, despite efforts to fix it, so definitely don't get rid of your CD yet. ;)

Hope it works for everyone. :)

ok i did all u said but it still says "corrupt jar file." any suggestions? im very sad and really want 2 play but i can't. i hope someone can help me!!!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by laurelllama at Aug 13, 2006 5:34:48 PM]
[Aug 13, 2006 5:32:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Are you positive you downloaded http://www.rustycutlass.org/support/box/config.jar and saved it to your desktop?
[Aug 13, 2006 6:01:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 167   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates