• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 138
Posts: 138   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23467 times and has 137 replies Next Thread
ScaryMuffin

Win a Parrot! YPP Idol--WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!! Reply to this Post

Congrats Seerauber! A very impressive song to finish the show off :)

Final show:
http://www.docktart.com/idolf1.mp3
http://www.docktart.com/idolf2.mp3
http://www.docktart.com/idolf3.mp3

And something extra, the victory song prepared by our top 4
Qwequeg
Hightop
Shellgames

All of the top 16 should do one more check of the YPP forums to double check your prizes. They'll be sent for on Friday and I'll try to hunt you all down properly ^_^

Votes have been tallied and the winners will be announced on Shanty Raid-io Tuesday, August 15th at 4pm game time. Tune in and find out who your first YPP Idol is! Results will be posted in this thread after the show.

YPP Idol on Shanty Raid-io! Information here: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=42636

Here is your chance to sing your heart out for fanship and prizes!

This is a YPP version of the popular show, American Idol. The majority of the action in this event will be happening on another forum. (http://z13.invisionfree.com/YPP_Idol/ ). So be sure to register an account or else everything you do will be voided!

When
This event will last from now until mid August, when the final four will do their finale performance.

Registration
Starting in this event is simple. All you have to do is record an audition file, upload it, and post it here: http://z13.invisionfree.com/YPP_Idol/index.php?showtopic=6

If you need help, there is a forum for that too! http://z13.invisionfree.com/YPP_Idol/index.php?showtopic=7

Audition files shouldn't be too long, 1 minute is more than enough. Pick a song that you think would best represent you, your style and skill and sing it acapella (just voice, no music). Be sure to sing out your pirate name and ocean before you begin your song.

Deadline for submissions is 11:59pm PST on July 11th. After the judges agree on the 16 contestants, they will send out a PM to those that qualify and give them acess to the contestant's lounge area in the forums. Be sure that you're registered on the forums!

The actual contest
On July 15th, the first topic will be released to the contestants and they will have a week to get ready before performing the weekend following. These topics will be a guideline for the song choice of the contestants. It is also encouraged that the contestants show a bit of flair and parodize the song somewhat so that it is more piratey. All performances are done acapella. The scheduling procedure for performances has yet to be determined however all performances will be done on Ventrilo and recorded. These recordings will be uploaded and posted for all to hear and vote on. Voting closes at 11:59pm PST on the Tuesday after the performances and the top 8 will go through to the next round.

After the top 8 is determined, the next topic will be posted up for them and they'll have a shorter time to prepare for the weekend performance. After another round of voting, only 4 will remain and they will move to the final round where they will compete for first through fourth.

Prizes
First prize is a lovely singing Canary! *cough*Yellow/Yellow parrot*cough*
Second place prize is a renamed WB, the Off Tuna and a Golden Ticket for BoNB
Third and fourth place will be receiving some furniture prizes to help them prepare better for the next singing event they do and a Golden Ticket for BoNB.

Those placing 9th-16th will recieve a handkerchief of their choice so that they can cry their eyes out (I'm so nice)
Those place 5th-8th will recieve a single flower trinket of their choice for their performance, how touching ^_^
Those placing 1st-4th will recieve a bouquet of flowers (the triple flower trinket) of their choice.

For all trinkets, some colour combinations may be restricted.

Questions and such can be posted below.
----------------------------------------
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Edit 18 times, last edit by ScaryMuffin at Aug 15, 2006 4:41:27 PM]
[Jul 2, 2006 2:45:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
metalnicka

Re: Win a Parrot! YPP Idol Reply to this Post

You can upload audio files for free on PureVolume. It's all free, just sign up for an artist account. Good luck :)
Panteraa is drinking and might be too busy to respond.
Formerly of Sage Ocean/Free Harmonica Lessons/Tea and Strumpets.
Lovely avatar courtesy of the lovely Tilinka.
[Jul 2, 2006 3:34:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crazee_colin

It is also encouraged that the contestants show a bit of flair and parodize the song somewhat so that it is more piratey.

Is this encouraged fer the audition entry also?
~ Crazee
[Jul 2, 2006 5:16:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Not necessary at all, we're looking for those that are able to impress but parodies may be your thing so do as you please :) Auditions are open so show us what you've got.

The judges are finalizing their personas, I'll introduce them as soon as we're ready.

In other news, Piplicus has offered up three golden tickets as prizes for this event for 2nd to 4th place. I'll add it to the list.

Apollo wrote: 

[Jul 2, 2006 11:45:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anniethepira

yay im all for it. So now to audition I just register on the forum, record my song and then upload and link to it?
Shinygirl on Sage Ocean

Skelly Darren tells you, "One little pirate in the fray... ha ha ha!"
Skelly Darren tells you, "Welcome to the fray! Ye seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill ye!"
[Jul 3, 2006 12:14:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Oooooh. Shiny, I like. So, piratey is encouraged, but not required, for the audition?
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Jul 3, 2006 12:18:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
anniethepira

Shiny, I like.

I like Shiny too, shes a nice girl.... (aka ME lol)
Shinygirl on Sage Ocean

Skelly Darren tells you, "Welcome to the fray! Ye seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill ye!"
[Jul 3, 2006 12:28:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anniethepira

So can I post my entry here as well? Or just on the audition submission thread in the YPP IDOL forum?
Shinygirl on Sage Ocean

[Jul 3, 2006 1:17:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
metalnicka

So can I post my entry here as well? Or just on the audition submission thread in the YPP IDOL forum?

Just on the YPP IDOL forum I believe. Good luck!
Panteraa is drinking and might be too busy to respond.
Formerly of Sage Ocean/Free Harmonica Lessons/Tea and Strumpets.
Lovely avatar courtesy of the lovely Tilinka.
[Jul 3, 2006 1:30:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LilMudblood

Really cool idea for a competition! But two questions....

By topic do you mean different styles? ie one topic disco, another pop?

Also how long between the different topics - or will that not be released until the particular period of the competition?

/me scurries off to go pick a song and warm-up her voice for her entry
Kiyit, on Obsidian.
Formerly known as Hungrypirate on Viridian.

[Jul 3, 2006 4:13:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karacan

Sounds like a lot of fun, but tge weekend life performance schedule throws a big damper on that... this is the time for holidays after all.

Oh well, not that I'll make it past the sign-up stage anyway. :) (Which probably won't stop me from trying.)
- Ratnose, prettiest drunk of the Midnight Ocean

Master of the Pie

Springheel tells you, "*bite* im a rainbow!"

[Jul 3, 2006 4:18:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Topics are essentially song subject matter. So let's say it was Animals then you'll either need to find a song with animal in it or parodize a song so that it contains animals.

Apollo wrote: 

[Jul 3, 2006 11:29:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basnijenhuis

I post my audition...but do I read correctly it is live in the weekend?
or can I study some, and record it and put it on the web? I can't make it live...
Retired
---------
[Jul 3, 2006 1:44:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LilMudblood

Ok... I get it now.

Another thing - is it ok to do the music with your voice because I know some songs which are both lyrics and a sort of "instrumental" part which the band members are singing
Kiyit, on Obsidian.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by LilMudblood at Jul 3, 2006 11:07:00 PM]
[Jul 3, 2006 5:02:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anniethepira

Am I allowed to audition twice?
Shinygirl on Sage Ocean

[Jul 3, 2006 5:02:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anniethepira

Uhh lilmudblood its supposed to be ACAPPELLA (spel?) which means just voice not backing music
Shinygirl on Sage Ocean

[Jul 3, 2006 5:03:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LilMudblood

I don't mean with backing music - I mean if you sing the music yourself. Like the instrumental yourself. If you're not sure what I mean there's an Australian comedy trio called Tripod who do that. So if I chose to do one of their songs should I sing just the lyrics? Or should I include the instrumental part which isn't played on instruments but is acctually sung.

I suppose it's kind of similar to scatting...
Kiyit, on Obsidian.

[Jul 3, 2006 11:05:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

All performances will be live. I'll do my best to be flexible about scheduling the performances but really it'll depend on who gets in and if a person (regretably) cannot make it we'll have to move onto the next contestant that can.

Please audition only once, you may edit your post with another audition file if you're not happy with the current one. We'll only be listening to whatever is posted at the deadline.

The only kind of singing that I can think of where you can provide both the background and singing at the same time is beatbox and I'm not entirely sure how that will go over with the judges.

Even if you can do a melodic voice background (such as group acapella) while singing the song at the same time, I don't think that would provide much advantage. I suggest choosing a song that you can belt out with pride and vigor.

If you're talking about recording several times and superimposing the recordings to make a melody with just your voice (still group acappela but with studio magic and one person...something like this? ) then I'm afraid that's not what we're looking for, we're looking for something where we can clearly hear you.

Apollo wrote: 

[Jul 3, 2006 11:31:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Oooooh, I hadn't seen that all performances are live. Um.

Um. But they're all supposed to be on weekends, right? I should be able to make it, then, assuming I get past the audition round.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Jul 3, 2006 11:44:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

The auditions is the only part that isn't live since we just don't have the time :p But everything I'm trying to make as close as possible to the real Idol show.

Apollo wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ScaryMuffin at Jul 4, 2006 1:42:13 AM]
[Jul 4, 2006 1:41:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basnijenhuis

I see, hopefully the singing does not have to be in the night 'cause my neighbours won't like that ...at 03:00 am...heh
Well first gotto get through the auditions!
Retired
---------
[Jul 4, 2006 5:56:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyairthwen

Sooo...we were given a link as to where to host the audio file...but any suggestions as to how to record one? I really wanna do this particular contest, but I don't really know how I'd record a file onto the computer...help?
Whenever it is a dark, drizzly, November in my soul, the sea is my lady saviour.

Fleet Officer of Greek Fire
[Jul 4, 2006 5:01:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Forumer.com/kyascabin    keera142003    keera142003 [Link]  Go to top 
kilkapkrunch

Now i am a bit confused it it how well you paridize the song or how well you sing? The mic in my computter can distourt my voice quite a bit somtimes. Also is rap allowed?
The OM's have no idea what they are up agenst.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kilkapkrunch at Jul 4, 2006 5:48:19 PM]
[Jul 4, 2006 5:47:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

A bit of both and it depends on which judge you want to cater to. Some of them will be more singing orientated while others may be more witty/parody orientated. Personally I think the most weight will be placed on actual singing ability so brush up on your bravado and check your head/chest voice transistions :)

As for recording help, there is a forum here:
http://z13.invisionfree.com/YPP_Idol/index.php?showtopic=7

And also some past notes from Amphitrite here:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=453091

Apollo wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ScaryMuffin at Jul 4, 2006 11:18:59 PM]
[Jul 4, 2006 11:18:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
poppopmimi

This sounds great!

/me downloads what she needs and goes out to buy a microphone

/me warms-up her voice
Salovation/Seized - Mostly Cobalt

[Jul 6, 2006 6:03:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sundancer

OOOh this sounds like fun.. I actually have a duet that I wrote for the pirate parody contest and couldn't get a guy to sing the guy part in time for the deadline. Heh, I have a recording of me singing it to myself.. it would make a great audition :)
~Sundancer of Midnight~
[Jul 6, 2006 8:03:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Prizes have been updated!

Apollo wrote: 

[Jul 7, 2006 1:31:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bcsingingmom

I am very interested in participating in this event, but as a Mac user I can't use Vetrillo. :-( Any chance another Voice Com program could be used so that us Mac users could partipicate? I have have Skype, Teamspeak and Gizmo installed on my compuuter for voice com applications.
Seerauber
back from Davy Jones' Locker and now on Obsidian

[Jul 7, 2006 1:51:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sammykat

I'm gonna try to do this. But it depends if I listen to myself singing and cringe mightily. I think I know what song to do as well (And can justify doing it, even though I dont think I can parody it)
[Jul 7, 2006 4:25:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

I hadn't even thought about Mac useres being basically ineligible ... I' m guessing there may be a way around that ...

As for cringing ... remember we are usually our own worst critics ...

The parody thing is to add some fun, it's not mandatory!

Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Jul 7, 2006 6:22:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 138   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates