• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 102
Posts: 102   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11205 times and has 101 replies Next Thread
StuManchu

Re: Stall Owners Who Run at a Loss

"I'm Rome, I'm old, look how cool that makes me. Fuh fuh fuh."

/me giggles
----------------------------------------
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Jul 5, 2006 4:08:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2cucry

Regarding to the first page of this post.. (not going to read the last 3 pages, as i saw it.. This happens to every arch i just saw rum being sold down in jet for 56 at dockside.. hey i'm all at helping mates out.. but when it costs 55 poe to make it (taxes, labor, price of goods, not to mention the time and energy to sail ye goods back, ie hemp, costing you rum and shot to make the trip) then why even bother opening a stall. Most people open up shops and stalls to make a profit, grant it some open to help supply their flag mates and close mates cheap goods. To those people thinking that they can change the economy of the game by selling at a loss Good luck with that.. btw how many times has that been done before and FAILED???

What I am going to try to do is have montly meetings with stall owners. and also push the fantastic shop tool spread sheet that some of the great people of YPP put together... after all educate is all what we can do.
Anderson

Captain of the crew The Bluenoser's
Admiral of the Navy

Matrix says

"if you really wanna be loved try beat andy in ANYTHING, please were running out of ideas"

[Jul 6, 2006 12:28:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
speedingpea

Ok, being said shopkeeper on Guava.......my stall was open way before Chrisspy's and nobody ever spoke to me about it. I run that stall along with the other ones profitably. It is none of your concern what I sell my cloth at. It is kept at a lower cost to help my flagmates, if you would like to benefit as well so be it. There have on several occassions someone else opening a stall and driving prices into the toilet. That is thier perogative and I just wait my turn until they sell out and then mine will sell.

I'm sorry you feel I am a booched shopkeeper, but you are incorrect in your assumption.

Chrisspy, you did stop by my stall the day you opened yours, to "check out the competition" so to speak. I was hospitable and you never mentioned anything about clothing selling at 29 (which is was before you opened your weavery). (Just wish I would have known there were two sides to you at that time)

Please feel free to contact me in the game, I would kindly speak to anyone regarding this situation.

Have a great day and remember there are two sides to every "stall keepers" story.
Speedingpea.....fastest nut on the ocean...and YES, I am a girl! lol
[Jul 15, 2006 3:19:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
c_squared01

Gah -- I didn't say you were a booched shopkeeper. There are a lot of people, all over the place, who either set their "use" price at below-market-price or somehow get people to work at their stalls for below-market-price. With hemp selling at 9 poe dockside, and labor at reasonable cost, there was no way that people were making a profit at the posted prices. I used the word "booch" -- but meant no offense to you personally!

I was hospitable and you never mentioned anything about clothing selling at 29 (which is was before you opened your weavery). (Just wish I would have known there were two sides to you at that time)

I don't think there are two sides to me... I came by to talk to you about the time I opened my stall, and you were very nice -- we may even be hearties. But you sold your sail cloth at a low price, and I went out of business. I don't hold that against you or anything! :)

Chrisspy,
why are people offended?
Chrisspy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by c_squared01 at Jul 15, 2006 4:27:14 PM]
[Jul 15, 2006 4:26:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Hemp sells for as low as 3 per unit in some markets, if you want to do some work or relocate . . .
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jul 15, 2006 7:17:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
wonkothes

Sagacious wrote: 
Some fool has opened a furnishers on Spring - the prices are amusingly low. It's not possible (even with the cheapest possible commod sources) that they are making any profit.

People like them belong on Coblat - where numerous clueless players open stalls...

Hey, I have a furnisher stall on Coblat that runs for a profit, Ive had it for a long time, too.
Wonkots Governor of Wrasse
Cleaver wrote: 
Your new Penguin Overlords will be along shortly to begin the long and 'difficult' process of 'correction'."

[Jul 16, 2006 8:20:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

QED.

/me giggles. <3 u wonkots.

~ stuy, mercilessly postcount++ing
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Jul 16, 2006 1:52:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

This isn't just midnight. This could go into global parley.

Yes, on sub oceans, you buy their stock, and resell.

Producing more than the island can sell? Fine. Buy their stock. Find out that it's overproducing the island. Stop buying their stock.

You got supplies for cheaper than you can make. You will sell it eventually when they run out. And with a stoppage of orders, they will stop producing and run out, right?

This works for things like rum, balls. This sort-of works for cloth, enamel, paint -- the large color variations make it harder.

But for clothing? Furniture? Doubloon oceans?

This works for docksidables, because the dockside is the rack.
This works for tailors on sub oceans, because they don't have to pay cash to stock the rack.

This fails for tailor stalls, because it is too hard to sell from the rack in a stall (no comparison shop for the rack).

And it fails for furniture, especially on dub oceans. It's much harder for tailors on dub oceans. And it's a nightmare for ships, swords, bludgeons.

Racks for everyone? Deliver to rack without paying dubs? (See "Cratable shipping goods" in game design) Great. Add in comparison shop across racks, and those cheapies will get their proper usage.

We don't have the tools to let the market deal with them.

Oh -- Shur, did you ever get a response for your threat to buy out the entire rum supply of the ocean?
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Jul 26, 2006 7:57:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

AquaDrake wrote: 
Oh -- Shur, did you ever get a response for your threat to buy out the entire rum supply of the ocean?
Wow that's old. So. Very. Old.

Peghead responded to me**. His response could essentially be summarized with words equivalent to "dare" and "double dare" with added sound effects sounding like or close to repetitive "neener." I told him I would if he could guarantee that no Fine Rum, Grog, or Swill would be magicked up and sold by anyone from Three Rings. He wouldn't (I mean couldn't) agree to that and when I pressured further, he then beat me over the head with something large and blunty but disturbingly cute at the same time and I've never been the same since (but that's another story). When I finally came to (metaphorically speaking... and possibly physically), I ran the Cobalt Rum Ransom and the rest, as they say, is history.

** Note: Never EVER ask me for a historic accounting of past events.
[Jul 26, 2006 10:17:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

and that's the story of how I obtained power of attorney over Shuranthae's estate
Rome
[Jul 26, 2006 11:27:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

shur wrote: 
AquaDrake wrote: 
Wow that's old. So. Very. Old.

Peghead responded to me**. His response could essentially be summarized with words equivalent to "dare" and "double dare" with added sound effects sounding like or close to repetitive "neener." I told him I would if he could guarantee that no Fine Rum, Grog, or Swill would be magicked up and sold by anyone from Three Rings. He wouldn't (I mean couldn't) agree to that and when I pressured further, he then beat me over the head with something large and blunty but disturbingly cute at the same time and I've never been the same since (but that's another story). When I finally came to (metaphorically speaking... and possibly physically), I ran the Cobalt Rum Ransom and the rest, as they say, is history.

** Note: Never EVER ask me for a historic accounting of past events.

Some wiki guru needs to stick that on Shur's wiki page, seems quite fitting.
Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Jul 27, 2006 2:02:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

We here at Shuranthae Industries, LLC are currently in the process of examining various offers from various Wikkis, deciding which would be the best option for us. To be honest though, I've negotiated a great deal with the NASCAR Wikki and I just don't think Three Rings is going to beat it.
Rome
[Jul 28, 2006 3:55:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 102   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates