• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1828 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Xceptopec

[Moved] Logging On - Or Not As The Case IS Reply to this Post

I'm having a problem here, the client is trying to update itself, and then is failing to start. And I know I am not the only person suffering this.
----------------------------------------
Captain Callam

Commander, The Children Of Odin
Prince - Forseti's Justice

Also - (The original) Cutter - (Azure) Ice, Midnight, Cobalt, Sage, Hunter.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ditdogs

Re: [Moved] Logging On - Or Not As The Case IS Reply to this Post

Here ya go matey, this should help ya out.

Jack wrote: 
Alrighty mates, it appears I booched it in doing the release that transitioned us to midnight and some people ended up with a version of the client that can't be patched.

If you are having Java Web Start report that it fails to launch the client then you'll need to follow these steps:

Locate the 'Java Web Start' program on your computer. If you installed using the Puzzle Pirates installer it will be in:

C:\Program Files\Yohoho\java\javaws\javaws

Run that program. Select "File -> Preferences" from the menu.

Select the "Advanced" tab and then click on the "Clear Folder" button.

Then run the game again from the Play Now! page or via the icon on your desktop (though if the latter fails to work, the link on the website should work and will make your desktop icon work once again).

I apologize for this booch. I promise never again to do what I did that caused things to mess up.

Arr!

- Greeter Ditdogs
- First Mate & Senior Officer of Pirates of
the Damned, Lord of the mighty flag Crimson Tide
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xceptopec

Actually no that does not help me, because however I installed it, it certainly has not installed into the DIR tree given. In fact I can not even find where it has put the program. Also I was on Midnight last night
Captain Callam

[Oct 27, 2003 5:01:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

Well, you weren't on midnight last night because midnight wasn't up last night.

Search your computer for a folder titled "yohoho"

In that folder you will be able to follow the steps that Ditdogs just gave.
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[Oct 27, 2003 5:25:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilewyn

Finding the client... Reply to this Post

If you're using XP (I can't tell ye for any other OS) the actual media and such is loaded in c:\documents and settings\$username\.yohoho (notice the dot before yohoho, by the way)

The one sure-fire way to get Puzzle Pirates back up and running is to uninstall the game, delete the media folder, and then reinstall...

That seems to fix almost any problem, but the price is a two hour download.

What I did that actually worked was to zip up the .yohoho folder before a patch. When this last one conked out, I just copied the backup over the now-corrupted .yohoho folder and it went ahead and did the incremental upgrade just fine.

Two hours shaved off a reinstall!

Of course, there was still the 3.2 meg patch and the fourteen minute media install afterwards, but hey... it's something. :)

Make sure you copy the directory structure along with the files, if you take my advice, otherwise you'll just be wasting disk space and your time.

~ lilewyn
Azure: Yvette, Lilewyn
Midnight: Yvette
Elsewhere: "Hey, you!"
[Oct 27, 2003 5:40:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.threerings.net [Link]  Go to top 
Xceptopec

I WAS on last night, I am a European. As for looking for the folder, don't assume I am an idiot. I did that, I even looked for yohoho using the find option. The folder does not exist, though for some reason there are some files in the Windows DIR, not the ones I am looking for. I fired up the Web Start from another location, cleared as it was suggested, and lo, now I have had to uninstall all the Sun Java stuff, and I am now completely reinstalling from scratch.

Lilewyn I use ME, and I can not tell you in all honesty where it put anything.
Captain Callam

[Oct 27, 2003 5:47:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

first of all.. nobody treats anyone like an idiot - do a search for yohoho - it's the program folder - game wouldn't be installed without it - once found, just find the webstart program, and try what jack says above.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Oct 27, 2003 6:11:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oldtimer

Trouble getting back on midnight Reply to this Post

I reinstalled java, window installer, and YPP but still no go. I get the Java loading... icon but once done ,nothing any suggestions please?
[Oct 27, 2003 9:40:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Villainy

I've noticed that if you are running the game from the Launch Game icon on the Y!PP! website, there won't be any Yohoho folder on your PC.

Go into your Java directory, usually C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\javaws

Then follow Cleaver's directions.

Then, go to the website and launch the game from there.

If you have downloaded the Windows Installer, then Cleaver's advice should work fine from the start.
[Oct 27, 2003 10:27:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.somethingwicked.com    superseraphim2000@yahoo.com    AndySprite [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: Trouble getting back on midnight Reply to this Post

Oldtimer wrote: 
I reinstalled java, window installer, and YPP but still no go. I get the Java loading... icon but once done ,nothing any suggestions please?

Something similar happened to me when I went through the steps. I found if I just ignored the hanging "Java Loading" and started up a client from the JavaWS window it got me in just fine. The "Java Loading" is still sitting back there, though...
[Oct 28, 2003 1:48:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jewles

If thats the case you should remove the old icons and have Web Start make new ones.
[Oct 28, 2003 2:05:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Is this a game design issue? Seems like a technical issue to me.

atteSmythe,
itchin' for a booch

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 28, 2003 2:07:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Moved from game design.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Oct 28, 2003 9:09:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates