• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 29
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3989 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
Raz

BUNDLE FAILED INITILIZATION Reply to this Post

GUYS SERIOUSLY.. NOT COOL AT ALL! I dowloaded all of the first patch.. then started on the 120 minute one.. less than a minute remaining.. and BUNDLE INITILIZATION FAILED..I restarted PP and it did it again.. i'm about to restart my computer.. if it does it again.. i'm seriously gonna cry.. cus taht means taht i have to clear my cache.. and download everything again.. whcih means i will miss Midnight opening.. please don't tell me i haev to do that.. I DITCHED SCHOOL SO AS NOT TO MISS MIDNIGHT OPENING!
[Oct 27, 2003 3:19:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

Re: BUNDLE FAILED INITILIZATION Reply to this Post

isnt there something i can do? like delete whatever file is being corrupted? how do i find that out!? i'm not a hacker or anything but i know my way around a command line.. i'll try anything :(
[Oct 27, 2003 3:41:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
biohazard

If you get an error (e.g. 'Invalid Argument') when first starting the client try the following:
Clear your web browser cache.
Clear your Java Web Start cache from the Java Web Start application manager (File -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Clear Folder).
Quit your web browser and re-launch it.

----------------------------------------
Embla
Retired first mate of the Black Widows
Princess of the Pillage People

- People are calling me insane, as if that was a bad thing...
[Oct 27, 2003 3:43:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

arr thnx Embla but it didnt work.. i had to clear the cache..
[Oct 27, 2003 3:48:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

honestly i hope you guys fix this double download thing.. i mean if i was a newbie, and i had to do this for every update i would NEVER pay for it.. You guys make a great game but before you improve any more gameplay things, you shuold improve the problems with the game...
[Oct 27, 2003 3:50:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

161 minutes left... i'm gonna go throw up now
[Oct 27, 2003 3:51:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilewyn

Bundle failed initialization Reply to this Post

Well, there's one thing you could do that should make it so ye never have to deal with this problem again...

It's a real workaround, but what I've been doing is every time there's a patch, I uninstall Puzzle Pirates completely, reinstall the basic installer and have it do the media download and install from scratch.

I've got Norton Antivirus 2003 and while it brings up a warning during install and uninstall, you can authorize the script and it'll continue working fine and without file corruption.

One important hint I've found... if you've got ThumbsPlus or another program that makes thumbnail indexes (such as PhotoShop making a contact sheet, etc...) do NOT let them write to the .yohoho folder. That's a sure way to make sure the game doesn't work until you've deleted the folder manually and then redownloaded the media.

Also, as soon as you get a working and up-to-date media download, copy your .yohoho folder (in 2000/XP it'll be in your folder under c:\documents and settings\) to a safe place or zip file, that way if something corrupts it, you have a means of restoring the media download and potentially saving yourself a two-hour download. The media _seems_ to be machine-independent, so you may be able to copy it to another system, though I don't want to guarantee it. :)

Anyway, this is what I've discovered so far, I'm sure the developers have better information.
Azure: Yvette, Lilewyn
Midnight: Yvette
Elsewhere: "Hey, you!"
[Oct 27, 2003 4:12:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.threerings.net [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

aye the devs have been eerily silent about this though.. arr thnx though lass dinnah quite understand your first suggestion, but i'll definately try the second one.. as soon as i finish downloading that is.. 100 minutes left by the way... hope yall are having fun on Midnight without me...
[Oct 27, 2003 4:37:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Raz wrote: 
aye the devs have been eerily silent about this though..

I know you're short-tempered and anxious today. I'm short-tempered and anxious, too, which is why I nearly wrote:

Akebia nearly wrote: 
First, they might be kinda busy today. Second, everyone will seem eerily silent compared to someone who averages one information-free post every thirteen minutes to his own thread.

Hope your media loads soon and that all is well.
[Oct 27, 2003 4:47:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Raz wrote: 
hope yall are having fun on Midnight without me...

Not only are we having fun, we're having it on YOUR ACCOUNT.
[Oct 27, 2003 4:54:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

aye the reason i made that many posts is i was trying to attract the attention of a DEV or an OM.. didnt work i suppose..
[Oct 27, 2003 5:05:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

aye the reason i made that many posts is i was trying to attract the attention of a DEV or an OM.. didnt work i suppose.. and if they are busy, then i would think that this is the kind of thing they are busy with... but i guess not
[Oct 27, 2003 5:06:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

can you get a program that makes a list of all filename, sizes, etc. in a certain directory and its subdirectories, and would perhaps make it easy to compare - if someone has a fresh installion that works, they could make a listing of it, post the listing somewhere, and we could find whatever files aren't working (i believe somebody fixed their problem once by finding the specific file that went wrong)

anything that stops me having to redownload is a bonus - since it takes 10 minutes too long now, either due to increased busyness or more media, i need to use a pay for calls ISP to download it, at ?1.30 a go. But it'll be worth it when I finally get to play, and start my crew properly this time around, with the small possibility that people might join :)

I don't know if the media repeat problem is happening to me any more, though - i tried removing both versions of java i had, as well as deleting the yohoho folder, then downloading the windows installer instead and using that. if that's related to this failed bundles thing, i wish i'd just kept to downloading the full media every update without trying to fix it :)
[Oct 27, 2003 5:14:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

well, i had a look myself, and the only odd thing i spotted without actually having a proper list was that the bundles-media-yohoho-puzzle.vers and bundles-media-yohoho-puzzle.jar files existed, but there wasn't a bundles-media-yohoho-puzzle.stamp file, although every other jar and vers had a stamp file. however, according to the file times, that was also the last file downloaded, and maybe it's meant to be like that, i dunno.
[Oct 27, 2003 5:36:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilewyn

Yohoho's yohos Reply to this Post

(A warning, me hearties... this isn't what I'd call "for beginners".)

Part of the issue is that if any files in the media directory (in xp, c:\documents and settings\your-user-name-here\.yohoho\) are missing or damaged, OR if there are extra files in the directory for whatever reason, the software wants to replace the whole thing.

My suggestion is thus:

Uninstall Puzzle Pirates (use the control panel, don't go deleting files willy-nilly! Thar be registry entries it makes too!)

Uninstall any old versions of Java.

Check the control panel to see if there's a Java control panel icon (a steaming cuppa') there...if you see the icon, you're not done uninstalling.

Go to www.sun.com and download the latest Java 2 Runtime Environment. (at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html) and *keep a copy handy* in case things happen again.

Download the Puzzle Pirates installer and keep it handy also (it's at http://www.puzzlepirates.com/yoclient/yohoho-install.exe) and don't delte it.

Install Java 1.4.2 (or better) and then Puzzle Pirates.

Run Puzzle Pirates and connect. You'll have to suffer ye Media Download again. Log in to make sure your media download isn't booched this time.

After the media download, make an empty .zip file in My Documents (you can either use WinZip if ye have it (www.winzip.com) or in WinXP you can just right-click, select New, then pick Compressed (zipped) Folder) and drag the .yohoho folder to it, where it'll start to copy your Media Download folder.

Save the .zip file someplace handy, it's got your Media Download on it. :)

If, in the future, the package dunae wan' start, just delete your .yohoho folder and copy the contents of the .zip file in its place. (Note: if the media changes, you'll wannae re-backup the media download folder to .zip again or have to suffer the entire media download upgrade all over.)

Aye, I realize this is a lot of downloading, but as long as ye download the Yohoho installer and Java installer, you can save them for later (perhaps burnt onto CD along with your .yohoho backup) and possibly save yeself the trouble in the future.

Think long-term, mateys. :)
[Oct 27, 2003 6:07:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.threerings.net [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

IT SCUPPERING DID IT AGAIN! SERIOUS I WANT A DEV ON THIS! I JUST SAT THROUGH ABOUT 6 HOURS OF DOWNLOADING NOW SOMEBDOY COME ADRESS THIS ISSUE! WHY AM I GETTING A BUNDLE FAILED INITILIZATION!
[Oct 27, 2003 6:34:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

Raz wrote: 
DITCHED SCHOOL SO AS NOT TO MISS MIDNIGHT OPENING!

Lacking any technical advice, I'm going to take the obvious shot:

Karma's a bitch, ain't it?
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Oct 27, 2003 6:34:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

why don't you just tell me the files that were downloaded in the latest patch, so i can delete all of those, THEN i'll come back and it will download them all over again.. and i can keep doing that till it works OR SOMETHING.
[Oct 27, 2003 6:41:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

and i'm sorry if i seem blunt, but i just figured that when i pay for something, i would get some kind of customer support... and in the 6 hours that i've been online i havent heard one word from Dev or OM! that sounds a bit booched to me.
[Oct 27, 2003 6:42:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilewyn

Bundle Initialization Reply to this Post

From my understanding (and anyone proficient in Java can correct me, please do if ye wish!) a bundle is an archive of Java programs and such, with one of the files being the one that's launched when the bundle is started. (Like a .jar file, for instance)

If the file is corrupt as when happens if a download fails, there's a bad spot on the harddrive, or somehow or other the copy simply didn't work correctly, the bundle can be damaged... if the loader program inside the bundle has failed... well, it won't ever get off the ground.

Now, there's a couple things that occur to me at this point:

1. The bundle loader is using things specific to the Java 1.4.2 and you're using a lesser version of Java (1.4.1_1 won't cut it, for instance), or...

2. The file itself is in fact corrupt as it arrives on your system. Now, the copy on the server apparently works (if the loader were damaged on the server, the devs would've noticed it long before now!).

Ye may want to check to make sure you're not running anything that may impede the installer (such as running a script blocker, virus checking program during install, the usual) or a program that writes to the .yohoho folder or files (in my case, it was Thumbs Plus writing image database files in the folders automagically).

If all else fails, install the basic package on your system, quit before the media install downloads, and ask a friend who has a working copy to archive up the .yohoho folder and copy it directly to your system.

Just my two poe, sir.
[Oct 27, 2003 6:47:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.threerings.net [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

thats weird Shockedfrog.. i HAVE a Bundles-media-yohoho-puzzle.stamp file.. maybe we have the same problem but each with a different file..

EDIT: i was missing the Stamp file for bundles-tiles-buildings-caribbean-bundle
[Oct 27, 2003 6:48:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raz

FINALLY! SHOCKED FROG YE WERE RIGHT! WHAT IS YOUR PP NAME! I WANT TO GIVE YOU A HUG AND GIVE YUO A GIFT!!!! THANK EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP!!! EMBLA AND LILEWYN! YOU BOTH ROCK! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
[Oct 27, 2003 7:17:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

the missing stamp file IS the problem! I fiddled with some files until i managed to make it only need to download the puzzle folder, which downloaded perfectly in 20 minutes, with no stamp missing problem and i'm now watching a beautiful login screen!

raz - my PP name is shockedfrog, but since we're all starting afresh, i couldn't accept a gift :)

another edit - erm, now clicking 'create new pirate' doesn't do anything but freeze the game (although i can still close it) and the 'back to login' button picture seems to be missing the middle part. So there's probably a problem with another of my files, but at least I'm getting closer :)

good news edit 3 - fixed it, thanks to a backup of my old buggy installation, which had plenty of non buggy files. im in! Yohoho!
[Oct 27, 2003 7:27:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilewyn

Glad things are working! Reply to this Post

I'm glad you got things fixed!

Now, if we can just possibly ask one of the devs...

The .stamp files, sir? If we delete the current file if the other is missing, will it just update the damaged component?

It'd be awful nice to come out with a short program that would check the current install, flag the thing for minimal downloads, and then launch the program to do the partial media install.

I'd be willing to write it, myself, if ye wouldn't mind telling me what's needed to do such. (I don't know Java, though, but I'm starting to think I should learn.)
[Oct 27, 2003 8:24:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.threerings.net [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Dev attention Reply to this Post

Indeed, Raz, I've not had a chance to look at this forum all day (until we shipped our infamously broken patch tonight). My apologies, but it's been a very busy day.

Glad you got your problem fixed.
[Oct 27, 2003 2:01:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jack
Developer

I'll gladly explain how everything works, though since it's all supposed to work automatically, there's not much you can do to ensure that things don't go haywire.

The game media is packaged into .jar files which are basically just like .zip files but with some extra support so that the files can be cryptographically signed to ensure that they weren't tampered with while they were being downloaded to your computer.

These are all the bundle-blah.jar files in your .yohoho directory. These have a version associated with them so that when we make changes to the media, we can just download the bits that changed and patch the jar file. The .vers file contains the current version number of each jar file. In general, they all have the same version unless we're in the middle of patching things.

When we do a release, the game talks to our servers and tells it that it has whatever version of all of the .jar files and asks it to please send down patches that it can use to bring everything up to date. These patches are downloaded, and applied to the .jar files and then the .vers file is updated if everything goes smoothly.

If, for some reason, the patching process fails. It deletes the .jar file and the .vers file and reruns itself so that it will redownload the whole .jar file the next time around. Usually this patching process should not fail, but with this release I updated things twice without incrementing the version number which caused all hell to break loose and thus the funny business.

After the .jar file is fully patched, it then unpacks the resources into a directory with the same name as the .jar file (minus the .jar). This process can also fail, though like all of what's going on here, it shouldn't in normal operation. If the unpacking fails, it will delete the directory and the .jar file and try to redownload everything afresh and unpack it afresh. If the unpacking succeeeds, it will update the .stamp file to reflect the fact that the unpacked resources are now up to date with respect to the updated .jar file.

In spite of what you might be led to believe by fiascos like today, this process does generally work. Unfortunately, even on releasese where I don't booch it, we've still seen a whole array of fun and exciting failures on Windows that vary from obscure to completely inexplicable. For example:

After downloading a patch for a .jar file, it needs to rename the original jar file so that it can combine the old jar file and the patch to create the new file. Occasionally, for no good reason, some of the .jar files simply fail to be renamed. Most of them work but some just fail with no explanation. How it could possibly fail to rename a file I cannot fathom. That is the simplest part of the process.

I've seen logs that show it denying access to the .yohoho directory even though we had access when they installed the game and we had access the last time the game was updated. Somehow Windows just didn't feel like allowing us to write to our directory and so it freaks out.

I could go on about other ways in which circumstances outside our control cause this process to fail, but then I would just be complaining and complaining is not my job, you already have it well in hand.

If you want to have a close look at what is going on during this process (and during anything else in the game for that matter), you can enable the Java console in the Java Web Start application from the Advanced tab. It will tell you exactly what it's doing in terms of downloading patches, applying patches, what fails and why and everything we could possibly think of to help us debug these strange problems when they arise.

It pains me when the process fails and people have to download whole jar files again, but I'm doing everything I can to understand why it fails for some people and not others. And I have to balance this effort with working on everything else in the entire game which demands a fair bit of attention as well. I wish it just worked as much as you do, but the Internet and the thousands of computers that all of our users use are a wild and unpredictable place and though there's only one way for things to work correctly there are a million ways for it to work incorrectly.

I apologize, Raz, that things aren't working for you even though you spent $50, the equivalent of five or six hours of your labor not to mention the time spent fiddling with the game trying to make it work. I've spent the last two and half years of my life working 60+ hours a week trying to build a massively multiplayer game from scratch using technology that everyone else in the industry would laugh at with the help of only two other programmers where most projects have twenty. I understand the frustration you feel and I dare say that I want things to work even more than you do. You can be sure that I'm doing everything humanly possible to ensure that you have the smoothest, most pleasant experience playing Puzzle Pirates that we can manage to create.

Hopefully, the next time we do an update, the patching process will work like a dream. If not, please feel free to email me at bugs@threerings.net and we'll look more closely into what exactly is going awry. I also apologize for going on at such length, but in the last 72 hours I've spent only about 10 of them sleeping and so I'm a little exhausted.
[Oct 27, 2003 2:44:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

Beryl sends Jack cookies
~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Oct 27, 2003 2:57:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilewyn

Installation, patching, and development Reply to this Post

Jack, thank you.

You've all worked very hard on this game and we honestly appreciate this, though we as users get frustrated (after all, the majority of us use windows so we're used to things going perfectly, right? *grin*) it's nowhere near the amount of work that you have to deal with to get things going.

So, what can I do, specifically, to help you folks when installs fail? Is there a logfile somewhere that's automatically generated that I could send along in the bug report email? If not, could I make one? How?

Is there any way we could potentially minimize our download time? While I understand that WebStart has its...ah, shortcomings as well as its strong points, it'd be nice if we could download the basic package once and have some way to verify that it's correct (MD5 possibly?) before installing it, and if correct keep ahold of it?

The idea here is that while we're on dialup and we get frustrated, perhaps if we had a stable somewhat recent backup of the system that we could put the incremental upgrades on, then we wouldn't need to sit through another multi-hour download, muttering "stupid media pack" (or other similar things) while we wait.

The less time we're stuck on media installation, the more time we're on Puzzle Pirates, the less bandwidth your company has to pay for, and the happier everyone is. :)

I imagine the easiest thing to do would be to make a .zip or sfx of the .yohoho folder after complete patching and allow people to download it in-state, that way there's no worry about the patch failing or even needing to be ran possibly.

Just my two PoE.

~ lilewyn ~

(Who won't be on until tomorrow night, apparently.)
[Oct 27, 2003 3:06:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.threerings.net [Link]  Go to top 
Alie

thank you, Jack.
[Oct 27, 2003 3:16:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    strangeQuarks [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates