• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 52
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4860 times and has 51 replies Next Thread
LonesomeCrow

Jobbing For A Crew Reply to this Post

Why doesn't anyone ever post notices on the boards when they need a crew to pillage with?

As a newbie, I'm finding it to be a long slow process to make enough peo to buy a ship.

I rarely get chances to go on pillaging trips. Why? Because nobody wants to pillage with a newbie. I've been lucky enough to bump into a few people who actually added me as a permanent member of thier crew, but it seems our schedules don't coincide very often, so pillaging trips are few and far between. And not always successful.

Which leaves me to take trading ship trips back and forth and back and forth and back and forth (you'd think I'd get the hang of some of those puzzles by now ;-)). On one particular trip, the trading ship I was on got nailed by the SAME pirate ship no less than 5 consecutive times. This wasn't at all fun, I just wanted to get to port to earn my measly 50p.

So I'm begging you, before you stock up on NPPs, consider taking one or two PPs via the notice boards.

Thanks
----------------------------------------
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[May 2, 2003 7:48:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Why? It cuts into my profits. Reply to this Post

I set my jobbing rates high because I believe that people who work should get paid. However, this means that each jobber makes a noticeable dent in my profits from pillaging. In addition, each jobber is taking a job away from an excellent sailor or swordfighter, and I can't be sure that a new person will fill those boots sufficiently, possibly further cutting into my profits by causing me to miss catching a ship or lose a battle. While of course I can /plank them, I don't like being reduced in crew in the middle of a voyage. Also, some jobbers walk out in the middle of the job (my pillaging trips can take several hours), which is annoying. When it was first possible to post for jobbers, I did so all the time. After being burned a few times by these problems, I've become less willing to take on random people.

All that aside, I sometimes do post for and accept jobbers on pillaging trips, and you can always send me a message asking to join. My first mates are also pretty willing, so look for Rifkind, Yarr, or Pneumothorax if you're looking for work, but be prepared to work long (though having a real job has curtailed my voyaging somewhat) and hard.
[May 2, 2003 7:59:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Re: Jobbing For A Crew Reply to this Post

Hmmm it's never really been my impression that newbies are turned down on going pillaging. But ok since the profit has been cut way down since the economy patch, that might be more of an issue now since you have to tailor your crew much more precisely.

There's also less pillaging going on now.

As for the notice board, it's not my impression anyone uses it. If I decide I want to pillage say large sloops, then I gather a crew (players and/or NPPs) to do so and take off, I don't go out hoping someone will read my post and join us so we can pillage.
Send tells to ships already out instead. If you can see more than 1 player on a ship it's fairly certain they're pillaging. They might be full or not in need of more help, but hey it's worth asking. Hanging out on the Alpha docks is by far the best way to get a ride for a new pirate.
Also joining a crew is a better way to get to know players and joining them automatically on trips.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[May 2, 2003 9:01:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

I do both... Round up a crew personally, AND use the job board.

I find the job board works great!

Blackdeath
[May 4, 2003 2:08:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Posting Jobs Reply to this Post

I am concerned by the points Muffy raises re: jobbing pirates. I wonder if there's anything we can do to make this more useful... clearly it's in the interests of all to keep the noticeboard full of open positions. One obvious way to do this would be to make NPPs even *more* expensive, but I'd rather use the carrot than the stick. That said it is upsetting to see ships pillaging with 7 NPPs when good pirates linger at the quayside.

The big drawback seems to be being vulnerable to being undermanned -- jobber comes aboard, you fire an NPP to make room, the NPP hops overboard, then the jobber quits a bit later.

Hrm, how about if, when you defeat a ship, you could offer jobs to NPPs (and perhaps players) on the opposite side? Then you could stock up with hands half-way through a journey.

Other suggestions encouraged. This stuff is important! Remember, think fun over realism.
[May 4, 2003 9:04:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Maybe you could pick up an emergency npp at a league point so that if someone leaves, you can limp to there and hire someone from its nearest island? Maybe that should be only possible if someone has left the ship since the last island, so that you can't just hire a load of extras to pillage someone.

I guess at the moment it's possible to /job from the ship, so you could do a /who and invite someone hanging around an island, but that could take a while to get someone, and if /who isn't going to be operational in the launch version that wouldn't work then.
[May 4, 2003 12:17:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bakamedic

my 2cents Reply to this Post

npps dont get bored and jump ship
you can rely on npp rating
npps dont get bored
npps dont get a split of the booty
did i mention npps dont get bored and leave you stranded?
[May 4, 2003 7:45:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

a few thoughts I have on this...

1. when it comes time to split the booty, change it to match what they earned!!

2. Add constraints to the jobbing offers. So a new PP checks out the board and trys to apply for Rifkind's jobbing offer. BUT they cannot becaue they are not yet respected in swordfighting, so they take a little more time honing their swordfighting skills before applying again.

3. NPP "Travelers". Essentially some NPP's may want to simply take a trip to another island, allow a few to come aboard and if you run low on PP's, hire the NPP's. I would also like to see this feature for PP's, getting on a boat specifically to be dropped at another island. I do this already, just sit on a boat to get somewhere, except I have to keep watching to make sure I get off before they leave again! (sometimes I do a little jobbing if I have time)

4. wow, are we up to using the term Newbie already? I HATE that term...
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[May 4, 2003 10:49:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

practice, practice, practice Reply to this Post

Ursela is right, people should practice if they want to get /jobbed. I'm not so worried about ratings when someone is new, since of course you'll make mistakes while learning, but I like to see at least some experience. If a jobber isn't pulling their weight, I'll usually suggest that they go practice sailing or whatever (but sailing seems to be the most critical) with an npp ship.

Note that I'm also much more interested in jobbers when much of my crew is on. At that point, it's easier to take time to explain things, when someone else can handle the ship while I'm in the crow's nest or whatever.
[May 4, 2003 11:52:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

PAY ATTENTION!!!!! Reply to this Post

One thing that would help tremendously is some sort of "alert" ability. Often I find that people (particularly new ones, but really just anyone) are not in the habit of watching the chat window while doing the puzzles. So, for example, if I try to change around who's sailing during a battle, or tell everyone to gang up on a particular opponent, they just don't even see the message. It would be great if there were some sort of audible and visual "beep" that I could trigger to tell them to check the chat for my orders.

Obedience, damn it! *grin*
[May 4, 2003 11:55:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Arr I have been guilty of not noticing an order...generally if ye're doing rather well at something and got a good double lined up in yer sailing or something (or getting whipped at fighting!) ye're concentrating so hard on what you're doing that ye don't check the board as much as ye should. Sorry!

I don't know about audible being much use; I tend to have speakers turned off a lot of the time as I play late at night, but maybe during sea chase and battle a message could flash when posted to draw your attention to it? Not sure that it would help anyone's puzzling if everyone's posts did that though...perhaps only officers, so the messages of encouragement don't have the opposite effect! Perhaps that little red thingy that flashes when your poe get changed could flash beside it or something.
[May 5, 2003 1:40:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

So many things to say...

1. I LOVE the idea of being able to offer jobs to NPPS on ships that I attack, a "defect" option of sorts.

2. I'll pretty much bring on ANY PP over an NPP, depending on my current load. If I'm fairly strong in NPPs, or PPs and a novice PP applies, I'll bring them aboard, why not? As far as payment goes, PPs are much more understanding when you haven't won any battles or made any money at trading during their service with you. You can only pay what you have. Whereas NPPs take the money regardless... SO I'm going to ALWAYS lean toward PPs for that fact.

3. Perhaps when a PP applies for a job, they specify an amount of time they plan to job for (if they job longer, all the better, but then as a Captain we'd have an idea of their commitment at that time) To go one step further, if the game kept track of how much time is left, with a countdown timer, that would rock!

4. I like the idea of requirements for the job... EXCEPT that a bad rating in one area may disqualify them, when they're excellent in another area.

5. It seems to me that as the game gets really big, more PPs, it may smooth itself out a bit. IE, if you lose a jobber, chances will be another is looking for work.

Blackdeath
[May 5, 2003 1:44:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I really do have a problem with PPs jumping ship . . . that is to say, it really annoys me, not that it happens to me a lot. People whine and whine about wanted to job when they're ashore, only to bail at some inopportune time. It is the single biggest reason I don't get help from the myriad mongrels dockside.

I'd like to see a structure set up in the jobbing contract, where the officer issuing the contract can specify a number of minutes (probably increments of 15). I realize this can be emulated by distribution of booty on the quarter-hour, but rather than not getting paid -- which isn't really much of a penalty, since they've lost nothing but time and got to puzzle meanwhile -- they have broken their contract. Players could be rated (using the current Able-Ultimate scale) on their reliability. It wouldn't be a competition, but it would be a great measure of their trustworthiness, whether from basic flightiness or connection problems. Maybe every 10-20 contracts fulfilled moves you up a level, and every one broken moves you down. The numbers don't need to be publicized. I can see this working for both "nice" and "bad" pirates, since the bad pirates will need reliable help just as much.
[May 5, 2003 2:11:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Notices Reply to this Post

I like Rifkind's idea for a more potent notice and was, in fact, going to suggest something similar in a related area.

Captains (including acting captains, depending on the results of another thread) could have another text option: /command (or abbreviated /com, since it will generally be used quickly). This would make her text bright, bold and maybe even blinky, to notify those distracted puzzlers of her change in plans. An accompanying sound would probably be nice, but as stevoid points out, shouldn't be relied upon.

The other, related notice I was going to mention would be of a similar nature, but be to the captain. When a dockside player asks who to pillage with, I mention the notice board and he will often say, "I get no response." This may be because the captain is just ignoring him, but it is more likely that captains get distracted too, and should probably have their Notice Response alerts bright and shiny also.

The rating requirement for the Notice Board also seems like it may be a good idea... we'll have to see if picky captains tend to wind up not hiring anyone.
Homullus' Reliability Rating suggestion sounds equally promising, but also has a similar potential for rendering itself unuseful.
On both of these points, I'd like to hear thoughts from our other frequent captains...

-Nemo
[May 5, 2003 2:36:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tw11st38r

Nemo, your last note about with regard to Captain's not noticing potential jobbers applications...

It would be MUCH easier during battle or just sailing, to have a little panel/set-of-buttons pop up on the right when someone jobs for you that says "Accept", "Deny", "Resume". Then the captain can do a quick yes/no (with blanket return messages to the PP), or a Resume where they can see either experience, or Rifkind's rating, etc. In that Resume panel could be amount of time they have, ratings, experience, special quals, or a quick message they fill out on application. Or a rating system where they also rate themselves. Doesn't have to be compliated...

I do have to say I'm guilty of ignoring applicants when I'm busy, then forget about them. And believe it or not, on occaision I've been swamped by 5 or 6 applicants in a row, and it would be easier just to say, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, etc...

And I can always /tell them if i need more info from them.

Make sense?

Blackdeath
[May 5, 2003 2:45:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Hmm this is turning into a really interesting thread. Alas alot of topics in one (moderation maybe) ;)

Commands
I completely agree Rifkind, new players aren't used to keeping an eye on the chat while puzzling away. I've often been frustrated to have to go to the nearest league point so I can issue orders I know they will read since the puzzle is paused there. How about if /command actually pauses the puzzle of the player and displays the tell in the chat?
Only Captains and Officers of the crew should be able to do this, just like they are the only ones to order NPPs around, and sail the ship.

Mid journey NPP replacements
Yep definitely a problem to loose several PPs mid journey (and they often leave more than one at a time). There are definitely problems with just getting NPPs onboard instantly since it can be exploited. Getting them on leagues is almost the same, it can be exploited. But I like the idea of recruiting them from other ships. It would be neat if you could recruit them from ships you pillage because the NPPs are fed up with the ships captain and/or see more potential onboard the winning ship.
NPP ships should probably get automatic replacements or jobbers might be left with a nasty ship that won't ever get anywhere.

PPs vs NPPs
Definitely more carrots for using PPs instead of NPPs. Currently I think it's a toss up which one is preferable unfortunately. Money talks, so why not make it more profitable if you have a higher ratio of players? So instead of the current 10% hold and 30% booty make it dependant on how many/few PPs are onboard.
If balanced well enough this should make it highly desirable for ships to job PPs.

Notice board
I like that idea of specifying experience when posting a job. I have another approach to pay though. I never liked the shares system much. I would rather like an extended system that pays PPs for their effort which is best (but not perfectly) measured thru their experience. Take an average of the pillage relevant puzzles and make that their overall experience that they get paid by. Then they get shares based on their rating. This could then be used to specify minimum requirements of experience but also to truly compete on shares paid on various crews. If tied into the system I mentioned above that encourages more PPs onboard this competition works both ways to keep it low to get the PPs but also high enough to get the really experienced players.

Also on notice board, I've tried signing up for a posting but never heard anything. I think most PPs don't just sit around waiting for the poster to reply, especially not new players since they have no clue why nothing happens. The quick buttons Blackdeath refers to would be great. Partly to minimize the already complex ship captaining, but also to give the recruit an answer as fast as possible.
Some automated replies would be nice too. Telling the recruit that the ship is currently locked in sea battle and that the captain will read the message once the battle is over.
Also with all the new players lately I've actually tried being swarmed with recruits. Sending tells to all these players that the ship unfortunately is full can be quite daunting. So a way to remove the post would be nice, and also a way to post it mid journey.
[May 5, 2003 6:06:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Alerts:
when sounds are updated, I'd imagine a quietish, unannoying sound alert when anyone talks would be desirable. As for alerts, why not post them in the upper left corner (superimpose over the puzzle, but not enough to interfere) would definitely make them more noticable.

Notices:
I agree that an immediate alert to posted notices would be great, esp because I don't always notice them. I would like to be able to update the notices at any time, i.e. I post a notice before I go out saying I need 2 swordwenches respected or above, and 1 sailor rated grandmaster or above. Once I get those, I'd like to be able to remove that from the listing, instead saying I need 2 swordswenches above respected. Also, when a PP jumps ship being able to post again without going into port may help you get the PP's you need without needing to grab NPP's during the voyage.

Notice Board:
I'd like a more visual notice board. So when a new notice is posted, something flashes, or maybe you actually see a new piece of paper on the board. Actually it would be nice if there was an option to be notified at each new PP post to the bulliten boards. This would help captains get their crews together quicker and be choosier about the PP's they hire.

Notice Constraints:
Perhaps captains can post job pays (in shares) according to levels, so an able or distinguished swordman earns 1/2 a share, while a legendary or ultimate will make 3, and other levels somewhere in between. Perhaps your pay depends on the average of your swordfighting, sailing, bilging, etc.
... and a few others ...
[May 5, 2003 10:23:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

The only problem with pay according to ranking (especially as tied to performance on the journey) was raised by Torsha before . . . what about crews who make an all-out effort for results, booching puzzles to switch them or reset the board? I suppose that if it means more plunder, there's more for all concerned, but it would be very unfair if SOME players were giving their all at the expense of their rankings and others on the same ship did better by being more judicious.

I would rather see jobbing contracts, which pop up on dialogue screens like the trade one. Among the things decided would be the pay basis, which could be (quarter/half) hourly (for short-timers), performance-based (for trading runs), and share-based (for pillaging) -- or some combination of them.

Oh, and regarding hiring NPP's as plunder . . . what if they WERE part of the plunder? That is to say, instead of automatically getting a share of the ship stores, you could choose instead to take NPP's? You would have to choose, and maybe before ye've seen the ratings of the NPP's -- having a separate log of good NPP's by name would be more worthwhile. Maybe have a short timer on the decision, so as to not hold people up.
[May 5, 2003 11:17:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

indeed, many topics Reply to this Post

I think a visual notification is essential, but backing it up with a sound is helpful for those who do have sound. Having it appear transparently over the puzzle would be great.

Taking captives and forcing them to work would be kind of cool, but what happens when the other ship is all PPs?

Removing the job posting when we're full would be excellent. That's another reason I don't post - having to deal with all the notices. Also, sometimes I'll /job someone and they won't come aboard - it would be nice if they could be automatically transported. Adding a new posting from the ship would also be nice. Since this can be arranged by logging off, then logging back on at Alpha, then returning to your ship, it seems like it's reasonable to make this easier to do from on board.

If someone tries hard, they should be paid, even if they don't do so well. The problem is that it's really hard for the captain to tell (or remember, on a long voyage) - for example, you don't see duty reports from the Crow's Nest. What might be nice is to be able to see a Duty Report at the end, when ye're dividing the booty.
[May 5, 2003 1:40:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

The hiring npp's while at a league point idea...could it be done that you can only hire an emergency npp if someone has left the ship since you left the island? And that the emergency npp is completely random (you could end up with an able that overcharges just as easily as someone useful). If really naughty pirates log off and then rejoin their ship to get an extra body, it wouldn't work in any way to their favour, if you make it that if someone else joins the ship, the emergency npp leaves straightaway.

That way, if someone goes down with connection problems while you're carpenting your way home on a trading run, you can at least get an able npp to help bilge a bit. And if they or another member of your crew log on and join you on the ship, the npp leaves again automatically.
[May 5, 2003 3:51:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

How about having extras onboard that aren't working, fighting or getting paid until you put them to work. They will still drink some rum while sitting around. So if a player leaves you can decide to put that extra in place instead.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Regarding the idea of press-ganging NPPs from other ships as booty, if they didn't have any NPP's, the same thing would happen as when you plunder a ship with no money: you don't get any.
[May 5, 2003 10:32:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Organization Reply to this Post

This thread is getting very long and comlicated. I was thinking of splitting it, but the three major desires expressed here are so closely tied together:

1. Visible Alerts
- A more apparent alert to captains from Notice Boards
This seems fine, and very important to topic 2.
- A way for captains to easily send distinct commands to crewmembers
Either a /com or the ability to click on a pirate in your sun panel
and choose from commands like an NPP. Certainly a /com-type
option would be the easiest and first possibility.

- Possibly putting both/either type of information overlaying the puzzle
A little animated alert icon that informs you to look at your
chatbox sounds like a pretty good idea.

2. Incentivising PP use
- A way for captains to access the Notice Board (of their departure island)
- while at sea in order to remove or add notices as needed.
I think this is a very good idea and should be a relatively easy
option to add to the ship-management interface.

- Adjusting the plunder percentage based on the ratio of PPs to NPPs on
- the attacking vessel.
This I like, but I am also rather staunchly anti-NPP in general. It
does have the pleasant duality that it doesn't affect traders' use of
NPPs, which seems reasonable to me. It also sounds doable that a
ship of
100% PPs could even get a better pillage rate than
they do now.

3. More depth in Notice Boards and Booty
- A way to restrict applicants based on experience and/or rank in Notice
- Board posts.
I am undecided on this. It seems the better results a captain
can get from a post the more inclined he is to use it, but I fear an
alienation of the new players and an overly-dramatic polarization
of the sea-going players.

- A separate rank of "Reliability" that jobbers earn for not jumping ship.
- This should come in conjunction with a job-length proviso in the post.
This also strikes me with the potential to alienate short-time
players. Not that I want to ignore you long-time players, either ;)
It seems, though, that this might be better managed some other
way, possibly with at-sea Notice Board changes, possibly with
at-node or press-gang NPP acquisition.

- Some kind of Duty Report-type information when dividing Booty.
This sounds useful for you more nitpicky captains out there. It
also ties into the sort of Ship Log that many have had on their wish
lists for some time.

None of these issues seem fully worthy of the priority list right now, but the possible ease of the changes or implementation of a few may push them higher up.
The finality and organization of this post is only for the purposes of managing this growing thread, please continue to post comments and argue away...

-Nemo
[May 6, 2003 2:34:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

notice board and ratings Reply to this Post

When I take on new pirates, I'm not so worried about their ratings; I assume it'll be a training cruise, and I'm most interested in seeing how they handle their duties, as well as checking them for attitude, personality, and, of course, obedience...*smile*. I'm sure this is all in the style of play, which is different for each of us, and of course at different times I myself have got different things in mind - trading, pillaging, training, practice for me at various tasks, moving ships around, etc., but I don't really ever feel the need to post for certain ratings. I hire npps with the ratings I need (and we could sure use more excellent sailors, for trading runs), but I don't worry about that so much with real people.
[May 6, 2003 3:49:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

A couple of thoughts on Nemo's points...sorry about the length of this btw!

1. Visible alerts...could you click to make it go away (i.e. you've read it) because if it's something like who to gang up on in swordfights, there could be several /command messages, and after the first you may not notice others! But as you have to click on the different pirate you want to attack anyway, one extra mouseclick wouldn't be that much more difficult.

2. Adding the little flashy icon thing if you used /job might be useful too...at the moment pirates don't necessarily notice you talking to them if they're distracted...so if you /job them and a flashy icon comes up it would remind them to scroll up the chat log and see what it was! For example, I /job but they're in a swordfight, or typed afk but I wasn't in their circle at the time.

3. Reliability rankings - maybe a more restricted version of that idea could be to add a button to the Divide the Booty interface, where you could put a Black Spot against a pirate if they jump ship without saying or you have to plank them...then the captain would be able to see that someone was in the habit of abandoning ship if they had a few black spots on their pirate info. This could be protected from misuse by only appearing if the player isn't on the ship at booty division - cos no pirate leaves without their money!

Added advantage of that is that it wouldn't matter whether you were playing often or for long; it would only be the number of BAD marks against you not an average rating, so players wouldn't have to "earn" a reputation before people would trust them.

Ship log would be great to show who came on when for dividing up the booty - if a couple of people leave and arrive during a run it can be horrific mental arithmetic and guesswork! Nice if it logged what booty you'd won/lost, and joining/leaving ship summaries in appropriate places.

A bit of paper tacked on the notice board, or something else to show in the main screen that there are jobs available, would be good if you're waiting to get on a trading ship - recently it's been tricky even getting a fight or a chat, as several pirates just standing staring at the board...or "apply" for a job at the notice board and get notified when something comes up? Pick a particular destination, or pillaging with a crew, or anything going...then you could fight or drink while you waited!

Quick question - if someone is logged off when you divide a booty, do they still get automatically paid? I hung about until we reached an island last night, even though I'd bluescreened after the last swordfight & couldn't see anything in the main screen, to make sure I got me hardearned poe!
[May 6, 2003 6:32:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Absentee Booty:
If your crewmates vote that you get booty, you will get it. It doesn't matter whether or not you're on.
[May 6, 2003 6:40:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
roujin

stevoid wrote: 
A bit of paper tacked on the notice board, or something else to show in the main screen that there are jobs available, would be good if you're waiting to get on a trading ship - recently it's been tricky even getting a fight or a chat, as several pirates just standing staring at the board...or "apply" for a job at the notice board and get notified when something comes up? Pick a particular destination, or pillaging with a crew, or anything going...then you could fight or drink while you waited!

Seconded. You could switch the little post/tower sprite to one with blank boards when there are no jobs. And since there are 2 boards visible on it, you could have each represent one of the two sections.

Or maybe when a ship comes into port, you could have a town crier announce it by tell or shout to everyone on the island.
[May 6, 2003 8:28:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Thanks for the quick reply Nemo!

Some kind of notice board change would certainly be useful; Tarrna was trying to retrieve her ship from Papaya but we couldn't get there for ages as no traders & no-one that we asked was pillaging in that direction....don't know if new pirates taking jobs so not as many around, or that we were *just* missing them each time we looked, but a visual change, or "job applications" would mean that you could keep a lookout while in a chat circle or puzzling, rather than standing on your own.
[May 6, 2003 8:43:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

jobbing to Papaya Reply to this Post

Ye can job to Turtle and from there to Papaya.
[May 6, 2003 8:47:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

For Job Posts:
perhaps to alieviate Captains having to accept or deny every pirate who applies, why not just add the option to accept the first x applicants, (and have them immediately ushered on board, as with an NPP ship) This could work well with a Ban list (of specific pirates or crews or flags) so if you're on the Ban list, you can't apply for the job.

If reliability ratings are implemented, you can auto-accept anyone with a respected (or above) rating and be notified of other applicants.

Also, Perhaps a job post could mention if you are doing short pillaging trip(s) (between Alpha and WS) or on an extended pillage run (long) just like the NPP's do. This way you can better attract pirates for whatever length of time... In the final release, I'm assuming that you will be able to choose from multiple offers.

Reliability ratings:
Love this idea, and actually think I mentioned it once before... This also may make it more competitive looking for jobs, as the higher reliable crews will get jobbers more quickly, but maybe a captain with less experience is offering more $? A bad rating from a highly reliable pirate could damage your rep much worse than one with no rep (which may not count at all!?)
... and a few others ...
[May 6, 2003 11:39:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates