• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 202
Posts: 202   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 63809 times and has 201 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Pirates of the Caribbean Spoof Video Competition - WINNERS ANNOUNCED Reply to this Post

Winners are announced in this linked post.

The fearless Gentlemen and Lasses o' Fortune from Puzzle Pirates be bringing ye a brand spankin' new competition,­ with booty a-plenty for a handful of ye creative swashbucklers!

Presentin' the Pirates of the Caribbean Spoof Video Competition !

TE ENTER

(1) Create a live-action or animated video spoofin' the Pirates of the Caribbean movie trailer.
Ye can find a sample here.
IMDB also provides all the trailers used (currently on the third). You may draw inspiration from any of these in your PP version!

Ye have free reign fer the duration of movie and medium ye use - jus' remember not to be a squiffy and include any offensive or vulgar content 'coz that be grounds for instant disqualification.

It needs to be related to Puzzle Pirates in some way, but you're not limited in terms of length or medium - hand-drawn animations, live action, screen shots taken directly from the game... whatever you want to use to make your trailer.

(2) Once ye've created yer video, sign up/log in to YouTube.
Make sure ye create an account that uses yer in-game name, or at least give yerself a spiffy credit screen in the video itself else yer hearties won't recognize ye!

(3) After ye've logged into YouTube, join our official YouTube group

(4) Follow the onscreen instructions to upload yer video to the group.

(5) Only one entry per player.

(6) This thread should be used for discussion of the rules only. Discussion about entries as they come in can be done in the related Mariner's Muse thread.

(7) As ever, we reserve the right to edit or add rules if necessary!

JUDGING

Judging will be carried out by the OceanMasters and other ringers, including Captain Cleaver and the hardworkin' Marketing Ringers.

BOOTY ABOUND

Not fer the lily livered! These prizes could be the greatest treasure e'er offered in a forum contest.

We expect to choose a grand prize winner and about 4 runners-up. The prizes will be as follows.

1st: US$500 + a familiar (choose an octopus, a parrot or a monkey in your choice of the available colors - no solid black or white)
2nd: 50,000 PoE + first choice from the in-game items below
3rd: 25,000 PoE + second choice from the in-game items below
4th: 10,000 PoE + third choice from the in-game items below
5th: 5,000 PoE + fourth choice from the in-game items below

In-game prize options
* A group portrait with your choice of up to FOUR OceanMasters or Developers
* A black/color (any but gold) painted War Brig called Dead Man's Chest (one available on each ocean, so could be chosen by more than one winner if desired)
* A forum avatar for you by one of Y!PP's in-house artists
* 25,000 PoE

The above five entrants, and a number of honorable mentions will also receive inscribed Orchid trinkets.
Prizes are available on any ocean.

DATES TE REMEMBER:

Deadline for submission is 11:59 pm PDT on Sunday July 9th 2006.
(deadline was extended by two days due to a delay in our planned in-game news reminder)

Good luck, get spoofing, and we look forward to seeing your entries!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Apollo at Jul 17, 2006 11:19:06 AM]
[Jun 12, 2006 3:33:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Emufarmers

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Spoof Video Competition - Win a Familiar! Reply to this Post

:O

You're offering real-life money as a prize? Not to be a spoilsport, but isn't that overkill? Or is this intended to create a product of the highest quality for use in advertising and such?
Emufarmers on the Viridian
Emufarmers.com - Howdypedia
[Jun 12, 2006 3:57:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://emufarmers.com [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Spoof Video Competition - Win a Familiar! Reply to this Post

I'd guess that if the entries are good enough, they'll work as organic advertising. Probably right considering the number of videos that have been emailed to me from there in the last week.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jun 12, 2006 4:07:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Indeed. Very clever.

Any chance of some guidelines on the judging criteria? Highest number of hits on YouTube perhaps? :)
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Jun 12, 2006 4:10:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

Wow. This is a serious contest! I can't wait to see what comes out of this.

Ah, forgive me if I'm just missing this, but is this supposed to be a puzzle piratey spoof or just... a spoof? I'm a bit confused about the direction we're supposed to go in. Though I suppose there could be no direction at all :)
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kaalvoet at Jun 12, 2006 4:21:55 PM]
[Jun 12, 2006 4:12:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
neih_neih

Lol this shall be extremly interesting. Me and my buddies have experience with funny comercials and such lol, this should be VERY interesting lol gl mates, u got some competition!
Shadowwalker on Viridian
Prince of Legion of Doom
[Jun 12, 2006 6:45:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

This should be VERY interesting. Especially with the 500 bucks.

About the biggest prize ever

500 bucks is 2500 dubs, which is about 1.25 million going at 700 per dub on Hunter. A familiar is 3 million. Totaled at about 4.25 million for Hunter

Viridian, about 2 million in dubs, so 5 million on viridian

Sage, about 1.875 million in dubs, so 4.875 on sage

Calculating in POE terms only, this competition is huge :P

Well, of course I'm going to try for it!

Edit:

How literally do you want us to follow the trailer? Scene for scene? Or just following the basic idea?

I still can't imagine how to make kraken. I need an inspiration.

given that I've only seen this for 5 minutes, but knowing how I delayed on synful's event Avast Animation, I might as well get started early.
Kevlar on Hunter
Former Captain of Southern Cross, Prince of Treasure Hunters. Died many months ago.
Reborn 3/5/08 and in the process of rebuilding my pirate
[Edit 1 times, last edit by freddunkins at Jun 12, 2006 7:38:38 PM]
[Jun 12, 2006 7:28:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Emufarmers

Calculating in POE terms only, this competition is huge :P

No offense, but if somebody wins $500 in a Y!PP competition, do you really think he or she is just going to buy doubloons with it?...Wait...Don't answer that. :P

Maybe I'm just being overly sentimental, but I can't help but wonder if the presence of real life money will somehow...Corrupt things? Make it less about the game, and more about the money? Or is there enough of a sense of perceived worth for ingame items that there isn't really any distinction?
Emufarmers on the Viridian
Emufarmers.com - Howdypedia
[Jun 12, 2006 9:09:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://emufarmers.com [Link]  Go to top 
Wonderlander

Yarg!

I got so excited when I saw this that I nearly planked meself...

I look forward to seeing all the fantastic entries, and will be drooling all over the prize coffers until whoever wins spirits them away. Good luck, everyone!
Get yer funnybone tickled! Read Green Waters!
[Jun 12, 2006 10:09:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://freewebs.com/wonderlander [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Ok I'm confused on one thing here... the link to see the trailer takes me to a page that has a picture then a link to trailer 2 and teaser 3. So I watched trailer 2 and got a good idea of what I wanted to do. But then I went to the official site of Pirates of the Caribbean and watched the trailer it was different and much longer. So which one do I use?
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Jun 12, 2006 10:52:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Ok I'm confused on one thing here... the link to see the trailer takes me to a page that has a picture then a link to trailer 2 and teaser 3. So I watched trailer 2 and got a good idea of what I wanted to do. But then I went to the official site of Pirates of the Caribbean and watched the trailer it was different and much longer. So which one do I use?

Aye, I've noticed that a new trailer has just come out.
IMDB keeps a record of all trailers, and you are welcome to use any or all as inspiration.

You can use scenes from any of them, and/or you can create your own, as long as at the end you produce a spoof of the film that somehow ties in to Puzzle Pirates.

Re Prizes

I believe our intention is simply to get people excited about the event and to put their best effort in!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Jun 13, 2006 10:43:18 AM]
[Jun 13, 2006 12:08:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
neih_neih

Ya quick question, whats the criteria for the judging? im guessing originality and creativity, but could u tell me anyways plz?
Shadowwalker on Viridian
Prince of Legion of Doom
[Jun 15, 2006 6:38:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

You can use scenes from any of them, and/or you can create your own, as long as at the end you produce a spoof of the film that somehow ties in to Puzzle Pirates.
And to be clear, this does not mean that you should have chunks of any of the original trailers in your submitted videos - just that you can use the scene structure / dialogue / composition / ideas from any orginal trailer for your entry as well as creating your own scenes.
[Jun 15, 2006 3:23:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

I have a problem, well Pogo and I have a problem. We have a similiar idea so don't think we are working together on our entries. If our videos aren't done (completely colored and/or animated) will it be disqualified?

For you to get an idea of where we are coming from we are traditionally animating pirates using the Pirates of the Carribean audio track. Since you've stated we can do either trailer, I've decided to do trailer #2. The first problem I've gotten into is I don't know how to take an audio file off of the trailer. Anyone know how to do this?

Second, as I said I am traditionally animating. Meaning I am drawing each frame by hand. This takes a lot of work and one month time frame is very short. So if my piece is not finished will it be disqualified? I don't think it's fair for me to put in a lot of time to animate and then have it disqualified because of the time frame.

For those of you that don't know:
The clip is around 2 min.
For the software we are using 24 - 30 frames/sec (We'll go with 30 though).
30 frames/sec X 60 sec/min X 2 min = 3600 frames
[Jun 15, 2006 3:33:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

For you to get an idea of where we are coming from we are traditionally animating pirates using the Pirates of the Carribean audio track. Since you've stated we can do either trailer, I've decided to do trailer #2. The first problem I've gotten into is I don't know how to take an audio file off of the trailer. Anyone know how to do this?
If you download audacity you can then record the audio as you watch the video, as long as your sound card allows recording from it, in Audacity choose an option like stereo mix.
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Jun 15, 2006 4:26:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Goldwave also works... www.goldwave.com i believe is the url. easy to use. have used it for years

just set it to record, play video then stop it and edit it how ye like
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Jun 15, 2006 10:54:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

And to be clear, this does not mean that you should have chunks of any of the original trailers in your submitted videos - just that you can use the scene structure / dialogue / composition / ideas from any orginal trailer for your entry as well as creating your own scenes.

But does that mean that we are required to re-record the dialogue ourselves? Will we be disqualified for using the trailer's original audio track and attaching it to user-made video track?

As Shortyjack said earlier, each of us is taking the audio from a different trailer and dropping our respective video tracks on top of them. None of the original video component will still exist. So if the piece is animated, but still has Johnny Depp's voice delivering the lines, will we be penalized?

I just want to make sure i'm not about to invest 3 weeks in a project that is a guaranteed failure.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Jun 15, 2006 11:43:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

The audio is yours to decide - any music or dialogue can be re-recorded or you can use bits of the original. Or you can go without if you think the video on its own is strong enough.
The video, however, should be user-made.
[Jun 16, 2006 4:26:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

As a totally random bit of trivia for the hand-animators - 24 frames per second is standard for film. 25 is the European PAL (TV) standard, and 30 is the American NTSC (TV) standard. Converting a feature film to DVD requires that one frame in every six be doubled, for American release, to prevent the video from running too fast. (This is often very clearly visible if you frame-by-frame through a DVD, especially in a section with fast motion.)

Chances are that the trailers are 24 fps, which means that if you want to match the number of original frames, you've got less work than you thought! However, you can even cheat more - framerates as low as about 18 fps are still quick enough to fool the eye into convincing animation. (It does change the aesthetic somewhat, and make it more clearly "animated," but rarely in a way that's distracting.)

As one more final suggestion, loops and holds are your friends. For something like someone walking, as long as they're moving sideways across the screen, you only have to draw one walk cycle - then just loop it, and shift the later cycles sideways to make the character travel. For moments of stillness, draw two or three frames (so the lines continue to "vibrate," consistent with everything else) and then just loop those as long as necessary.

I've had a bunch of classes in this stuff, and still have a lot of the software on my computer. I'm completely willing to offer help and suggestions with the technical aspects of compressing, sync, and the like. (I will not produce content, nor will I make editing suggestions - all I'm offering is postproduction cleanup for web release.) PM is probably the best way to get in touch with me. Shortyjack, if you haven't been able to get the audio (or need a clearer version), I might be able to help with that too.
Now in a special Hunter flavor.
[Jun 16, 2006 5:30:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Thanks for your help! We are animation majors and have taken the classes too. We also have our university staff down the block willing to help since the animation dept teachers were suprised we are doing work outside of class. I figured if we run into real trouble we can as them since they have real experience in the business (one worked for Disney from Aladdin to Tarzan and the other worked on Celebrity Deathmatch!=>so cool) and not just teachers who went to school for teaching animation.

We plan on using holds and loops however, this is still a lot to animate in 3 weeks we have to animate, shoot, color, and edit. You have to also remember feature animated films take an average of 3 years to complete and that's with a huge staff not one person. Oh /me starts thinking I've gotten way over my head on this one....
[Jun 16, 2006 11:52:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

What I would be interested to know is, how many people are actually going to act, and not animate.
Kevlar on Hunter
Former Captain of Southern Cross, Prince of Treasure Hunters. Died many months ago.
[Jun 16, 2006 12:33:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
neih_neih

we might be a mix of both lol, if u dont understand, wait till u see the video *grins*
Shadowwalker on Viridian
Prince of Legion of Doom
[Jun 16, 2006 2:57:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

Will we be marked down if there are other small words along the screen? I'm talking abou those made by the free-trial software - they sometimes make little words in the corner.
Kevlar on Hunter
[Jun 17, 2006 9:45:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skyplus5

how do i make 1
Kathietate
Captain and Tactican of The Legendary Shadows
Queen of the flag Dark Shadows
[Jun 17, 2006 9:46:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daemonia

Nice idea but there is one thing I wonder ; Can you work togheter with a mate who also plays puzzle pirates?
We believe we have the answers,
But never learn from our mistakes.

-RETIRED-
[Jun 18, 2006 12:20:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Swazzorama

If we're using screenshots of the game in our movie, are we allowed to use Y!PPedia screenshots for the shots we can't get ourselves (sinking ship or skellie fight)?
Swazzy

Hunter

"The only thing we should fear is Swazzy..."
[Jun 18, 2006 1:42:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Nice idea but there is one thing I wonder ; Can you work togheter with a mate who also plays puzzle pirates?
Yes, you're welcome to work with someone else, but you should make it clear which pirate will recieve the prize if you win something, and we will just give it to that named person. If you need to split it, that's then your own negotiation!

If we're using screenshots of the game in our movie, are we allowed to use Y!PPedia screenshots for the shots we can't get ourselves (sinking ship or skellie fight)?
I guess so.
[Jun 18, 2006 2:42:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

apollo, lets say i win, i come in first, can i transpher the 500US$ to 500$ in-game credits, like can i use the 500$ to buy dubloons?
If win, can i ask for dubloons instead?
Little Tibby
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stevedrago at Jun 18, 2006 7:05:19 PM]
[Jun 18, 2006 7:04:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

apollo, lets say i win, i come in first, can i transpher the 500US$ to 500$ in-game credits, like can i use the 500$ to buy dubloons?
If win, can i ask for dubloons instead?
I'd have to check, but I imagine you could ask for $500 worth of doubloons instead of cash. I can't see any reason why not, if that's what you think you'd spend it on.
[Jun 19, 2006 12:05:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

We plan on using holds and loops however, this is still a lot to animate in 3 weeks we have to animate, shoot, color, and edit. You have to also remember feature animated films take an average of 3 years to complete and that's with a huge staff not one person. Oh /me starts thinking I've gotten way over my head on this one....

If you're hand-animating, you needn't draw at one-to-one with film. Fifteen frames per second is still fairly lush given the timeframe, and you can get away with ten if you're clever. Cough.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jun 19, 2006 4:30:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 202   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates