• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1089 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Raneados

Won't allow creation Reply to this Post

I can install PP just fine, but when I go to play it, several alert windows pop up telling me that something won't allow creation of a file....

Any help?
[Oct 25, 2003 5:35:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilewyn

Won't allow creation Reply to this Post

There could be a couple issues at hand, here...

If ye're using 2000/XP, you must be an Administrator account to install Puzzle Pirates, as only admins can install system components (such as Java) and write to the Program Files folder.

Also, if it's an alert from your antivirus software (say, a red dialog box) you'll need to select the option "Authorize this script" during install, or barring that, disable your antivirus software while you install.

Hope it helps. :)
----------------------------------------
Azure: Yvette, Lilewyn
Midnight: Yvette
Elsewhere: "Hey, you!"
[Oct 27, 2003 5:20:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.threerings.net [Link]  Go to top 
Raneados

Re: Won't allow creation Reply to this Post

Thanks for the help...

It says: In an Alert window:
----------------------------------

Symantic Script Blocking has prevented a script action that could be harmful to you.

Application: WSCRIPT.EXE
Source File: Program Files\Yohoho\rsrc\runyo.js

Onject: FileSystem Object
Method: Create Folder
-----------------------------------

Anyone know how to stop this from running? It's not on the Ctrl+alt-del menu.

I'm using windows ME.... could you tell me how to log on as an administrator if that is that case
[Oct 27, 2003 5:57:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Sounds like Norton/Symantec Anti-Virus is "protecting" you from running potentially hazardous scripts. You need to either shut it off to play PP, or tell it to specifically allow PP. I don't know Norton well, so I can't give more detailed advice.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Oct 27, 2003 6:03:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

It could also be Symantec Firewall, if you have that. Disable your firewall for a few minutes while you startup puzzle pirates. Or, if you are feeling 'advanced', go into the firewall and create an exception rule for puzzlepirates.

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Oct 27, 2003 6:08:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilewyn

Script-Blocking Reply to this Post

There's an icon in your system tray (next to the time) that looks like a little computer with a yellow screen, that's the icon for Norton AntiVirus.

Right-click on that, select "Disable Auto-Protect" and wait a couple seconds for the change to settle in. The icon should change so there's a big red X through it.

Go ahead, then, and install Puzzle Pirates. When done, you'll want to re-enable Auto-Protect.

Jus' so ye know, you'll need to redo these steps when you want to either reinstall PP or uninstall it.
Azure: Yvette, Lilewyn
Midnight: Yvette
Elsewhere: "Hey, you!"
[Oct 27, 2003 6:26:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.threerings.net [Link]  Go to top 
Raneados

Finished...

I tried installing Java and PP seperately, that seemed to allow it, thanks for all the help everyone!
[Oct 27, 2003 12:24:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates