• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1643 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
canseco

How to use client in mozilla (linux)?? Reply to this Post

Can someone tell me how to use the client in mozilla? Thanks
[Apr 29, 2003 9:27:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Linux installation Reply to this Post

It should be reasonably straightforward to set things up on Linux.

First you'll need to get the JRE down from Sun. You can install the JRE in your home directory somewhere, or if you have root, move it into /usr/local/jreblahblah or somesuch.

The tricksy bit is that Java webstart must then be installed -- the JRE appears to unpack a zip of webstart, which must then be unzipped and another install script run. You'll then want to move the resulting javaws webstart directory into /usr/local/ or wherever you have java.

Then, when you click on the PP client link (that you received in your secret alpha tester email) you'll need to associate that type of file with /usr/local/javaws/javaws (or javaws, wherever it ended up). It should then work like a charm.

This may be a whole lot simpler with RPMs or whatnot. We use debian. I believe it's all automatic on Windows. I sincerely hope so! One thing 'on the list' before launch is a single Windows executable install. We'd love to do this for linux, but the vagueries of everyone's setup means that we're probably reliant on the user guiding the process for the foreseeable future.

-- Cleaver, far from a Linux expert
[Apr 30, 2003 2:18:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Linux Installation Reply to this Post

I never did get my Mozilla or Galeon working correctly. I've got the plugin installed fine.
(I'm running Mandrake 9.1)

I ended up downloading the dclient.jnlp file to my disk.
Then just run javaws directly like so:

/usr/javaws/javaws/javaws dclient.jnlp

No need for a browser at all. :-)

One other note about Linux. A lot of distros include Apaches web server and configure it to start up automatically. As most people know, web servers need port 80, as well as Y.P.P. IIRC
(Remember this when you reboot)
----------------------------------------
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Apr 30, 2003 10:35:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: How to use client in mozilla (linux)?? Reply to this Post

I managed to start up PP on my 7.2 redhat, but found that it was much laggier than windows was. No good for swordfighting at all! Although if anyone has suggestions for reducing the lag, I'd be interested...
----------------------------------------
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Apr 30, 2003 10:55:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Harlock

moz and pp Reply to this Post

make sure you dont have it set to block popups.
once installed, i found javaws (its all installed in my private directory) to be automatically assigned (since you build the mime.types and their associations in your ~/ directory). just a simple CLICK! and it works. however, im still waiting on these puzzle pirates to fix the game so i can play through a proxy at work (443/80 bound http proxy. boooooo). really sucks since i can get all the way to the login screen, then puzzle pirates sends out an auth request on a non-80/443 port. cmon guys, make it so us lamers can pass our login traffic over http ports!!! :P
[May 2, 2003 5:56:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates