• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 166
Posts: 166   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28242 times and has 165 replies Next Thread
micklauer

The Ultimate Avatar Iron Chef Tournament - WINNERS ANNOUNCED! Reply to this Post

Current Status of Contest: Over

Table of Contents

0. Edits
I. Introduction Greeting
II. What is an Avatar?
III. What is the Avatar Iron Chef?
IV. Judging and the Judges
V. Submitting Entries [and the entry thread]
VI. Moving Up or Moving Out
VII. Prizes
VIII. Supporting your Fellow Pirates
IX. Deadlines and Results

X. Chefs Remaining!

0. Edits
  • Deadlines will now be in PST (Pirate STandard Time) rather than EST (New York Time)
  • The elimination process will continue as such: 30 > 15 > 8 >4
  • Additional prizes added, see VII. Prizes

I. Introduction Greeting
    Start your stoves and butter-up those mouse pads, because the Avatar Iron Chef has finally made it to PrimeTime. This is an [All Ocean] event with some deliciously wicked prizes, namely a Monkey Familiar!

II. What is an Avatar?
  • An avatar is the image used to represent you on the forum (look to the left below your forum name).
  • Avatar dimensions can be no larger than 150 pixels x 150 pixels (they can, however, be smaller)
  • Avatars have a file size limit of 60k (so beware of crazy animations)
  • Avatars are generally in [.jpg] [.gif] or [.png] formats.

III. What is the Avatar Iron Chef?
    Here's how it works:
    (1) I post up a list of elements that the avatar must include (I call it a "recipe ")
    (2) Participants then use those elements to create an avatar.
    (3) They are usually given a short amount of time to work, so participants must act fast and submit their entries in before the deadline is reached (in this case it will be 4 days per round).
    (4) Note: Though the contest is called "Iron Chef" and has obvious culinary references, it is not necessary that the entries resemble food. Take a look at past winning entries to see the range that you can play with.
    (5) To see past rounds of the Avatar Iron Chef, click here

IV. Judging and the Judges
    (1 ) First of all, there is a list of super-secret judges (of which I am not one)...any participant who seeks out the identity of the judges will be disqualified. Any judge who makes known their status during the contest will be removed and their votes dismissed.
    (2) Judging will occur immediately after the deadline is reached, with results posted in 24 hours (this may vary for the registration round)
    (3) Judging criteria:
  • Most importantly, it MUST BE A VALID AVATAR! See II. if you have any questions!
  • You must use ALL the elements of a recipe...you can add other elements, but at the very least you must include every recipe element. (If it says 3 skulls, there must be 3 skulls, not 2, not 1....but there can be more than 3...clear? Good! :P )
  • Your ability to seemlessly blend the elements together. (You could imagine what an apple pie would look like if all the ingredients were just mashed together and not properly blended and prepared)
  • Presentation. While I hate to admit it, prettiness matters. But ONLY if ALL the above mentioned criteria are met. (I don't care how pretty my meatloaf is, if it don't have meat in it, then it ain't what I ordered!)
  • You may use any tools you like, so long as the final product is yours.

V. Submitting Entries and the Entry Thread
    Once you've read the rules and gotten your pallets wet, it's time to head over to the entry thread .
  • Each Round's recipe will be revealed/updated on the entry thread.
  • Please only post entries in the entry thread. Comments can be posted here.
  • ONE ENTRY PER PIRATE PER ROUND!
  • Entries submitted after the deadline will sadly be tossed in the bin.
  • Each round after the registration round will give participants only 4 days to create and submit their entries.

Here is the entry thread

VI. Moving Up or Moving Out
    Who goes on to the master cook-off and who's gotta get out of the kitchen? This is how the tournament will be played:
    (1) Registration round begins, and participants are given a simple recipe to show the judges you know how the contest works and that you can follow rules. The deadline for this first entry will be a little longer, so as to allow everyone proper time to join. Remember it is only a registration round, so there is no need to go ALL OUT...just follow the rules and you're in. [Results will be posted in this thread]
    (2) Everyone who makes it through the registration round will be given their second recipe. Now it's time to show us what you got. HALF of you will make it. HALF of you will not.
    (3) The elimination will continue as so: 60, 30, 15, 8, 4
    (4)
    The final round is a secret and will be unlike any of the others, so be prepared!!!

VII. Prizes
  • The top voted avatar in each round will receive a small prize.
  • First place: A monkey in the color of your choice (sans black or white) and a fancy gold ribbon
  • Second place: A sleeping animal or Mirror trinket and a silver ribbon
  • Third place: A sleeping animal or Mirror (whichever remains from the 2nd place winner) and a bronze ribbon trinket
  • Fourth Place: A Purple-Roses trinket
  • Semi-finalists: Ribbons

VIII. Supporting your Fellow Pirates
    The forum is a place of community. Please be as positive and supportive as possible. If you're not participating but would like to cheer on your mates, please do so. If you get axed but would like to shout your support to others still in the running, you're a bigger pirate than most.

Most of all, I love these contests because they are mini-showcases for potential artists in the game. Make your entries, sell 'em, trade 'em, give 'em away as presents! And MOST importantly, have FUN!

Now get your booty back in the kitchen and cook me some avatars! Arrrrrrr!

IX. Deadlines and Results
    Registration Round | Deadline: JUNE 12th,11:59pm EST (view registration thread )
    Round 1 | Deadline: JUNE 17th,11:59pm EST (view the Round 1 thread )
    Round 2 | Deadline: JUNE 23rd,11:59pm PST (view the Round 2 thread )
    Round 3 | Deadline: JUNE 29th,11:59pm PST (view the round 3 thread )
    Round 4 | Deadline: JULY 7th,11:59pm PST (delay due to holiday) (view Round 4 Entries )
    Round 5 | Deadline: JULY 16th,11:59pm PST

X. Chefs Remaining!
    Current Chefs remaining: 0

Results on page 15
    ----------------------------------------
    Devout follower of Apollo
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Edit 35 times, last edit by micklauer at Jul 17, 2006 4:16:44 PM]
  • [Jun 3, 2006 7:13:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    CountCristo

Re: The Ultimate Avatar Iron Chef Tournament - Win a Monkey and other prizes Reply to this Post

I'm so glad this is finiallly an all ocean event. Thanks KP, going to start cooking asap.
    Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
    [Jun 3, 2006 7:41:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    shockedfrog

Re: The Ultimate Avatar Iron Chef Tournament - Win a Monkey and other prizes Reply to this Post

Why are all these creative events going on at the same time? 2 days ago I intended to enter the Comics and Co event, and suddenly there's 2 other events (familiar events, too) competing :(

Fortunately art is not my strong point, especially considering how many months it took me to realise pirates didn't have noses. But I'll try to enter some nonsense anyway. :)
    [Jun 3, 2006 8:03:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

Why are all these creative events going on at the same time? 2 days ago I intended to enter the Comics and Co event, and suddenly there's 2 other events (familiar events, too) competing :(

Fortunately art is not my strong point, especially considering how many months it took me to realise pirates didn't have noses. But I'll try to enter some nonsense anyway. :)

I actually held off until Apollo's Pillaging Picasso event was over, and for Bia's Microfiction to lop off it's first round of entrants (including myself :P)

I've also given everyone a 9 day grace period to enter the conteset...once the initial registration passers are in...that's when it gets bloody!

As a reminder: this first round is just to see if you can follow rules...doesn't matter how good or bad...just follow the rules and you're through.

okeeeeee :)

~KP
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by micklauer at Jun 4, 2006 5:53:38 AM]
    [Jun 3, 2006 8:20:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

I'm so glad this is finiallly an all ocean event. Thanks KP, going to start cooking asap.

It was meant to be, sir.

My pleasure as always.

~KP
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 3, 2006 8:22:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Jerze

Oh sob - I've been so looking forward to this but my access to avatar creating tools while I'm away is looking rocky and I think I'm most likely going to have to be a non starter (I might just get something in round 1). I could cry!!

KP - if you need another judge - let me know.
    Jerze
    British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
    Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
    There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
    [Jun 3, 2006 10:06:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    SeaFlame

sounds like fun!!!!

quick question. we just post the avatar right on the webpage, right? no posting a link to the thing or having to make it our actual avatar...right? just want to make sure.

thanks!
    Retired on 3/7/2010.

Heros get remembered, but legends never die.

-The Sandlot

Deviously Deviant
    [Jun 3, 2006 11:48:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

sounds like fun!!!!

quick question. we just post the avatar right on the webpage, right? no posting a link to the thing or having to make it our actual avatar...right? just want to make sure.

thanks!

That is correct...actually it would make life a lot easier if you do exactly that...

post your avatar as a pic, not link...and also please DO NOT list all your edits...

Thank you!

KP
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 3, 2006 1:20:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Gloraelin

Um, um, um... I'm confused. The recipe says "the pirate must be feeling sick," but the pirate isn't listed in the things needed. Must a pirate be included?
    Jen wrote: 
    yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
    Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Jun 3, 2006 3:59:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

Um, um, um... I'm confused. The recipe says "the pirate must be feeling sick," but the pirate isn't listed in the things needed. Must a pirate be included?

he he, I can see why...the "recipe" you clicked on was a "sample"...but I changed it anyway...if you go to the "entry thread" you will see the actual registration round recipe.

when it says...it means just that...any pirate...unless specified differently....

kp
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 3, 2006 4:24:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

For consistency with the other creative events, I am going to move the entry thread to the Mariner's Muse. I hope this does not cause any undue confusion.
    [Jun 3, 2006 7:29:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

Thank you, Bia. I apologize for posting in the wrong thread.

Be well!

~KP
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 4, 2006 11:48:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Wonderlander

The recipe calls fer "1 pirate o' choice."

Does it have to be an existing pirate, or can it be a fictional one? (By fictional, I mean a pirate that isn't an actual existing Puzzle Pirate)
    Get yer funnybone tickled! Read Green Waters!
    [Jun 4, 2006 3:54:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://freewebs.com/wonderlander [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

The recipe calls fer "1 pirate o' choice."

Does it have to be an existing pirate, or can it be a fictional one? (By fictional, I mean a pirate that isn't an actual existing Puzzle Pirate)

Any pirate...in game or fictional....

good luck!

kp
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 4, 2006 7:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Wonderlander

Fantastic!
    Thanks fer the clarification mate, I'll be startin' me entry tonight!
    Get yer funnybone tickled! Read Green Waters!
    [Jun 4, 2006 7:10:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://freewebs.com/wonderlander [Link]  Go to top 
    usil2

Recipe must include 1 Ocean Master of choice, does that have to be in pirate form? Can we modify the appearance according to their name? After uploading mine, I quite unsure I can depict Apollo as the sun 8(
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by usil2 at Jun 5, 2006 8:31:20 AM]
    [Jun 5, 2006 8:30:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

Recipe must include 1 Ocean Master of choice, does that have to be in pirate form? Can we modify the appearance according to their name? After uploading mine, I quite unsure I can depict Apollo as the sun 8(

Artistic leeway is something I love...Depicting Apollo as the sun is fine. Depicting Apollo as a Ripe Guava...maybe not...

Most importantly with this first round is that the basic rules are being followed..so long as you have the size and an attempt at all the ingredients...you're on to the next round.

Thanks for your entry :)

~KP
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 5, 2006 9:03:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    usil2

Thanks a lot for the clarification. I'm happy I don't need to redraw it 8P

Cheers! 8D
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by usil2 at Jun 6, 2006 2:59:53 AM]
    [Jun 6, 2006 2:59:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Samurai619

I was just wondering.. is there still time to enter the event.. i noticed that the Deadline is June 12, so im guessing i already missed out?
    [Jun 6, 2006 3:27:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

I was just wondering.. is there still time to enter the event.. i noticed that the Deadline is June 12, so im guessing i already missed out?

The deadline for your regisration entry is the 12th...which means you have 6 days...remember it is simply a registration entry...no need to go all out.

Simply read the rules, follow them, and everything's gravy.

kp
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 6, 2006 4:49:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Empanado

I'm sorry, but excessive materialism causes me to doubt:
    Are there any prizes for the registration round?

I'm participating one way or another, it's just that, you know... I like shiny stuff.
    Empanado, at Midnight, makes avatars.
    [Jun 6, 2006 3:58:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    freelance007

A question about copying and pasting...in short, is it legal? My final image will be of my own creation, but i wanted to make sure an entry using images copied and pasted from elsewhere was legal.

In the future i will be completely making my own images, but i wanted to confirm that this was okay for the first round.

Thanks.
    [Jun 7, 2006 1:03:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    beanie_man19

I have NO IDEA how to enter me entry... I tried... But still have no clue... Can anyone help?

I once tried to kill the most loved person in the world, then I found out there were laws against suicide

Joycie.
    "After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box."
    [Jun 9, 2006 11:44:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

A question about copying and pasting...in short, is it legal? My final image will be of my own creation, but i wanted to make sure an entry using images copied and pasted from elsewhere was legal.

In the future i will be completely making my own images, but i wanted to confirm that this was okay for the first round.

Thanks.

Yes...it is legal.

I just need to you know that you can follow the basic rules.

thanks
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 9, 2006 1:38:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    flowenots

I have NO IDEA how to enter me entry... I tried... But still have no clue... Can anyone help?

I once tried to kill the most loved person in the world, then I found out there were laws against suicide

Im assuming ye already made yer art. Goto http://www.photobucket.com to greate an account and upload yer picture there. Ye'll get a link to yer pic that ye'll post here with img tags.

photobucket is just one of many free image hosts around.

Hope that helps ya some?
    Bluefrog from Viridian Ocean
    [Jun 9, 2006 3:31:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    winner1

The top voted avatar in each round will receive a small prize.

So....will there be a prize for this round as well? the registraton round?
    [Jun 10, 2006 12:55:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

The top voted avatar in each round will receive a small prize.

So....will there be a prize for this round as well? the registraton round?

No.

I originally mentioned that I wouldn't...then i wanted after seeing some of them and how wonderful they were...then I decided I couldn't go back on my word as many people did not put forth their best effort...and that is my fault, as I told folks to just follow the guidelines and not worry about "winning" this round.

Don't worry...the next rounds will have prizes.

kp
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Jun 10, 2006 7:52:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Brittnigirl

how do I enter?
    [Jun 10, 2006 8:45:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

how do I enter?

Taken from the first post in this thread

V. Submitting Entries and the Entry Thread
    Once you've read the rules and gotten your pallets wet, it's time to head over to the entry thread .
  • Each Round's recipe will be revealed/updated on the entry thread.
  • Please only post entries in the entry thread. Comments can be posted here.
  • ONE ENTRY PER PIRATE PER ROUND!
  • Entries submitted after the deadline will sadly be tossed in the bin.
  • Each round after the registration round will give participants only 4 days to create and submit their entries.

Here is the entry thread

• ----------------------------------------
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [Jun 10, 2006 11:16:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    RaelShark

Credit to usil2 for the Apollo-as-the-sun idea that I used in mine as well. It was a nice shortcut when I was a little pressed for time there at the deadline (the delay in the submission going through on the forum didn't help :P).

I assume borrowing concepts from others wouldn't matter much for this round, but I still wanted to point out that it was his idea.
    Shark
    Mascot of Ransack Marauders
    [Jun 12, 2006 9:21:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 166   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates