• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 1
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 436 times and has 0 replies Next Thread
Michelob

Character encoding booch in (Shoppe) News Reply to this Post

In particular, I have tried to include unescaped bullet characters (U+2022) in the News at Mash Gordon distilling bazaar, on Xi Island, Midnight Ocean. As recently as 7 May 2006, these were rendering correctly. However, today they are rendering as three characters (block ? block), which makes me think that this has something to do with character encoding.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the news data (HTML) is being stored internally as UTF-8 (which encodes U+2022 as three bytes) but no character encoding declaration is included when sending to the client, so in my case, it is probably trying to interpret this with the windows-1252 character set and failing.

Edit: If I go in and edit the news, to replace the three junk characters with bullets again, they will still render as bullets when I click on Preview, and will still render as bullets in the editing box. They do not change into junk characters until I hit submit. (This seems consistent with my hypothesis.)

Yarrr,
-Mich
----------------------------------------
Michelob, Senior Officer of Pirates of the Damned
Just some random drunkard in yon Crimson Tide
Hooked on Y!PP since September 24, 2003
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Michelob at May 31, 2006 9:05:27 PM]
[May 31, 2006 9:01:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thecrimsontide.org [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates