• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 34
Posts: 34   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 28759 times and has 33 replies Next Thread
mentalcntmpt

Yer best bilgin' tips (obligatory YARRRR) [outdated] Reply to this Post

Avast me hearties! As a young swabbie, I often find me self workin' the bilge. While my bilgin' skill is improvin', I'd be interested in tips from any of ye saltier dogs out there. Many times I might think I'm doin' a keen job, only to find that I've bootched it, even though the bilge be empty. What be yer tips and advice for clearin' the bilge as best as possible, and improvin' me skill?
[Apr 23, 2003 2:04:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mentalcontempt [Link]  Go to top 
Jander

Re: Yer best bilgin' tips (obligatory YARRRR) [outdated] Reply to this Post

Well mate, as I understand it, the whole idea behind bilging is the empty the standing water. As long as there's water, yer bilging. When the bilge is empty? Yer just pumping air. So ye can't get above booched when there's no water ta pump away!

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.)
----------------------------------------
---Jander
As dastardly a dragon as there ever was!
[Apr 23, 2003 2:48:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Avoid going for three in a row, especially horizontally. The big scores come from rows of 4 and 5, and the sooner you practice looking for those, the better you'll get at it. You should only do three in a row if you haven't scored in a while, and you don't see anything else to do.
[Apr 23, 2003 2:49:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

Jander's absolutely correct, once the bilge is empty of water, leave and do something else. Perhaps go do some carpentry to fix up the holes that are letting water into the bilge in the first place!

You *can* get above Booched pumping an empty bilge but Poor and Fine arent the ratings I look for when doing a puzzle
[Apr 23, 2003 3:22:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
3eyedSusy

and if you can try to get 3x4 or 3x5 once or twice a league these will boost your score abit.

wildeyedjack
[Apr 23, 2003 3:57:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mentalcntmpt

Cellophane wrote: 
Jander's absolutely correct, once the bilge is empty of water, leave and do something else. Perhaps go do some carpentry to fix up the holes that are letting water into the bilge in the first place!

You *can* get above Booched pumping an empty bilge but Poor and Fine arent the ratings I look for when doing a puzzle

Ah, I see. In that case, when I first board me ship, bilgin' isn't the thing to do, since the bilge usually be empty already. Time to learn another trade. I tried me hand at sailing with little success. Me swordfighting isn't tip-top either, but I have found a talent for drinkin'!
[Apr 23, 2003 5:04:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mentalcontempt [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Bilge Info Reply to this Post

The only difference in your bilging score determined by the water level is the crab bonus (you get a bonus for clearing crabs). Otherwise, the impact of water on your score is only that the pieces move a bit slower under the surface. Bilging on an empty bilge doesn't help your ship at all, however.

That aside, Wildeyedjack is correct that the biggest scores come from doing axb combos. Meaning, in one switch, making at least two different clears.

-Nemo
[Apr 23, 2003 7:07:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mentalcntmpt

Re: Bilge Info Reply to this Post

Nemo wrote: 
That aside, Wildeyedjack is correct that the biggest scores come from doing axb combos. Meaning, in one switch, making at least two different clears.

-Nemo

Are there any techniques that you use in order to help create or identify these combos, or an order in which you work the puzzle? Occassionally I am able to make a 3x3 or 3x4, but these are few and far between. I try to average about 4 pieces at a time. Sometimes I can do 5, but not often. Thanks for the assistance, fellow pirates...

I have a feeling I'll probably be posting some other threads about swordfighting, etc., as I get more into the game. The docs do a good job of explaining how the puzzles work, but actually working on techniques and getting some good mentoring seem as if they could make a big difference. It's frustrating when you think you might be doing a decent job on a puzzle and you end up "bootched". From the looks of the rankings out there, I see some pretty skiled players, so hopefully I can absorb some of their knowledge.
[Apr 23, 2003 7:22:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mentalcontempt [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Make sure you check the forums for tips on the other games before you post again. There is a lengthy post about swordfighting, and I think one about carpentry.
[Apr 23, 2003 12:26:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
mentalcntmpt

homullus wrote: 
Make sure you check the forums for tips on the other games before you post again. There is a lengthy post about swordfighting, and I think one about carpentry.

Will do. I did check for one on bilging and didn't find one, so I went ahead with this thread.
[Apr 23, 2003 12:33:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mentalcontempt [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

There wasn't one about bilging (yet) in this much detail, so this was good.
[Apr 23, 2003 10:39:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
bakamedic

you want tips?... Reply to this Post

ok since i am the undisputed best bilger to have ever sailed the 7 seas, i guess ill add my $0.02 =]

take note these tips are if you want an excellent rating:
- dont move blocks if it doesnt form a row/column of at least 3. however, if you are going for combos/chains: this is a good gide of move limits: 3x3 = 2, 3X4 / 4X4 = 3/4, 5X4/5X5 = 4/5 (i hope out get the general idea... applys to chains as well)
- start from the bottom and work your way up
- if you know that you havent done so well for that leauge and are reaching the end point, use those pufferfish/jellyfish. they add alot to your rating
- if you are dissatisfied with the board you are currently on, reset the puzzle.
- you can bilge just for rating even though the hold is empty
[Apr 24, 2003 8:05:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I thought the reverse was better . . . when you start at the top, anything you clear will change more line-ups, giving you more chances to get bonus combos, and changing the alignment of things more in general. I would only start from the bottom at the very beginning of the puzzle, and then only if you see several future combos above it . . . you want to be able to take advantage of all of them.
[Apr 24, 2003 9:56:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Yup, I start at the top too. And if I have a jellyfish, I try to use it on pieces that are most scattered and won't match up easily, or if all are about the same, then on a piece which I have most of. I try to leave the pufferfish until they're nearer the top, then use them when there are no more easily moved up there.
[Apr 24, 2003 2:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Donkey! Reply to this Post

I've found myself bilging a lot better recently. I'm not sure what the secret is apart from practice, but here are a few tips:

- Good bilging is a mixture of opportunism and restraint: take the low-hanging fruit, but before you do, make sure that you're not missing a much better combo near at hand.
- As was correctly pointed out above, be very stingy with the moves to make a combo. If you have to move more than a couple of times to make a 4, it may not be the best move.
- To win big identify the potential rows of three. Then look for 2/3 more of that colour above/below, then look for 2/3 of a swap colour above/below. Bingo! Sea Donkey! These 3x3x3 -> 3x5x5! combos are really worth the big big scores.

Yarrr! We loves the Bilge.
[Apr 24, 2003 6:14:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
mentalcntmpt

This is great advice, everyone! I can't wait to try it out in the game.
[Apr 25, 2003 12:37:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mentalcontempt [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Having re-read the thread I think that actually Homullus, bakamedic & I are saying virtually the same thing but referring to it differently respecting top v bottom.

I'll try to clarify what I mean...check for combos such as 3x3, 3x4 which can be easily made from the bottom of the board up, before moving a piece above them, as they will be lost if you do. Any higher-up combos are not affected by moving pieces below it (unless a crab moves above the waterline & scuttles off) so leave them for a second move if you spot 2 combos at a time.

However, if you have to move a piece or two to make a line of 3 or 4 as nothing else is available, do so as near the top of the board as possible, as this can realign everything below it much more favourably (in one line if vertical and 3 lines if horizontal) and may give a chain reaction to boost your score. Then check up from the bottom of the board for possible combos again before moving your next piece.

Does this make more sense?
[Apr 30, 2003 5:52:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bakamedic

aye Reply to this Post

thats exactly what i meant. thanks for clearing things up.
[Apr 30, 2003 6:18:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DonCarnage

dum newbie question Reply to this Post

how exactly do crabs get cleared?
Not everything I think is something I should say...
[May 7, 2003 8:51:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

When they get above the water line, they go away. Or you could always invest in some ointment.
[May 7, 2003 9:45:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bakamedic

sorry bro, Reply to this Post

but i really dont think he was asking about sexually transmitted diseases. =p (put a smile on my lips that did)
[May 7, 2003 7:14:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jakflak

I got a "sea donkey" before and i didnt realize it was any bigger than the usual bingo. This is the first time i've even heard of a donkey in bilge so my question is what is a donkey? 5x5x5? 5x5x5x3?
[Dec 29, 2003 8:22:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

5x5x5 is impossible, 5x5x3 is the biggest you can go.
i guess a donkey is 3x3xAxB except for 3x3x5x5 which is a vegas.

main reason im posting here is to point out that alot of this thread is obsolete with the perpetual trickle in bilge (all that stuff about pumping air and such)
Glub (again)
[Dec 29, 2003 1:36:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Genavee

An "INCREDIBLE" bilgers passes along some tips Reply to this Post

I'm ashamed that I am so good at bilging, and I'm not sure why.... But here is what I do when bilging -

I look for 3x3's or 3x4's immediately. There are a few ways to get these. Here is an illustration:
vyxz
xxyx
zwxv

When you flip the x-y piece, you get a 3x3 with the x's. This is the easiest setup to spot (for me). YOu can expand upon this setup to get a bingo (with the y's) if you don't have to do too much movement.

I normally get 4 or 5 of these a league, which results in at least an excellent, and a sparkly bilge pump.

There it is. Practice finding this pattern, and you'll do fine, or even better!

8)
Genavee

Senior Officer of The Sea Dogs
[Dec 30, 2003 12:41:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crooktooth

There is a slightly unortodox trick to try. You know how the ship is supposed to run better with fine rum aboard? I had my first experience with rum in real life on x-mas day and was slighlty intoxicated.

(warning. Real rum tastes an awful lot like cough syrup)

I logged on, took a job, started bilging and got the best personal ratings I've seen yet! It was very bizarre.

Please note, I'm posting this for humor sake. Please don't turn me in to yer local Pirates Against Drunk Bilgers group.
Putting live chickens in my enemy's underwear since December '03!
Avvy by Sancha!
Sloganizer says: "Crooktooth Prevents That Sinking Feeling."
[Dec 30, 2003 4:29:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://stoneknivesandbearskins.blogspot.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
jhenigin

A dizzying effect Reply to this Post

I see alot of logic to the drunken puzzle mastery theory. When i'm pumping the bilge my wife will always interjects with combo's she eye's but I never saw. When she plays I return the favor, beyond the fact that the person not playing is less focused on controlling and more apt to seeing them I think it has to do with the viewing distance from the screen as well. I'm thinking about mirroring my display on to the family tv so when I am out of moves I can look up and see the whole picture. From that perspective I think I will see the matching blocks much faster. So I can see how a little dizzyness can cause a similar effect.
[Dec 30, 2003 5:48:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

hmm, i always end up sailing or gunning (or talking crap on the docks) when im drunk, and loosing me ult rating (grr).

i shall have to give this drunk bilging a try next time... (which should be in an hour or so)
Glub (again)
[Dec 30, 2003 6:20:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
z0mbydude

Go for this. (PS. Its a bingo)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/viewtifulfreak/thingy.bmp

[Jun 22, 2005 2:19:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Wowzers, what thread necromancy!

Faulkston,
17 month bump
[Jun 22, 2005 2:24:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
tiguar

what is the bump for.... and this is not even the tips and tricks forum
[Jun 22, 2005 2:50:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 34   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates