• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 69
Posts: 69   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6248 times and has 68 replies Next Thread
TianX9

Why is it that people care so much what the islands look like?

We've had a good 20-page debate on 'Terra and Napi are ruined' and 'it's disgusting, kill Calais.' What I'm confused about is why people care so much.

First, it's a freaking island. No one save maybe 2 people looks at it for more than 30 seconds in any given day, yet for some reason people tart about it on the forums for hours on end.

Second, if you want pretty, you're playing the wrong game.

Third, a good chunk of the reason Calais does what he does is to annoy the large part of the ocean that care about things that don't concern them (or anyone, for that matter). The best retaliation? Not to care. The best way to play right into his hands? Well... the forums are already doing that.

I can understand why Amoreth is personally upset after having spent hours looking up naming schemes and having them trashed, but I really fail to see why everyone else cares at all about what shops are named unless the shops are theirs.

Is it that the island not looking as good as it once did somehow interferes with your gaming experience? Is it the fact that someone else is making money off an island that irks you? I'm baffled and seriously want to know.
[May 9, 2006 6:20:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Re: Why is it that people care so much what the islands look like?

On Midnight, people care(d).

I had to say it.
----------------------------------------
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[May 9, 2006 6:21:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

I think people are more upset about having their defeat rubbed in their face.
Don't pave me, please!
For real this time wrote: 
but I shall no longer take any active part in the game, on any ocean.

Join the local PPA - Puzzle Pirates Anonymous, coming to a town near you!
[May 9, 2006 6:51:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
cacophoenix

Why do some pirates want to dress up to look their best and buy fancy clothes in the game? Why do some pirates want to paint their ships and house and buy furniture like bed for it?

Dooe it make them puzzle better? or does it make their ship more sea-worthy?

If people can spend n+1 hours/POE on making themselves and their personal aritfacts look good for purely aesthetic reasons, why wouldn't some poeple want a nice looking island for the same pure aesthetic reasons.
Noquarter in Viridian and Hunter.
Timmons in Sage and Midnight.

[Edit 6 times, last edit by cacophoenix at May 9, 2006 9:30:07 PM]
[May 9, 2006 7:42:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kenku178

In truth looking at this Tian, Napi isn't "They Ruined it!" but more of the opinion "Their going to ruin it!" being that some people believe that Vangaurds ideas for Napi will probably mirror that of Terra.

As for Terra, there are Game consequences unfortunently, as the amount of buildings(and sometimes the position) on the Isle have adversly affected Terra Commods, and that there is no way to restore commode spawns(even after dusting buildings). Also, the removal of all the stuff in the palace, while not unbelievable, is rather cutthroat to some people on timing.

I must say the third point is preety valid, and Calais may be laughing in the bg about it.

Thats my $0.02 on the subject
Wilden of the Viridian Ocean
Fleet Officer of De Novo
Former Member of:
Blitz Republic
Booty Snatchers
The White Krakens
Warriors Down Under
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Kenku178 at May 9, 2006 9:28:41 PM]
[May 9, 2006 9:27:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

The Devs and islands designers are worked for hour to make us a pretty game, full of pretty character (aren't we cute with our playmobil faces ? ). When i was a greenie.. i use to walk around every islands to discover them, and i'm sure i wasn't the same. I was amazed in the amounts of work put there, and all the imagination behind the name sheme. But now, a greenie spawning in Terra, or Napi, won't have this chance. They won't discover the same beautiful game i discover a year ago. That makes me sad, plain and simple.
[Disclaimer]English is not my first language so please excuse my mispell and grammar mistakes.[/disclaimer]

-Rhia
[May 9, 2006 9:46:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TianX9

The difference is, people look at clothes, painted ships, and houses. I can say with quite some confidence that virtually no one looks at islands. And if you truly care so much, there are plenty of "pretty" islands elsewhere: is it too much effort to take the ferry to the nearest island? Or do you demand that all islands be designed to your specifications?

On a different note, I'm fairly sure paving over commodiy spawn indicators doesn't actually slow down the spawn rate.
[May 10, 2006 3:09:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
black_beard7

Why do some pirates want to dress up to look their best and buy fancy clothes in the game? Why do some pirates want to paint their ships and house and buy furniture like bed for it?

Dooe it make them puzzle better? or does it make their ship more sea-worthy?

QFT

Before I even read the first post I was already thinking the same thing, and there is people who look at the isle every day. I usually look for change. I found a old picture of Terra and compared it today's Terra, the diffence is amazing. All be it in not the greatest way.
Triggster.
On all oceans, but mainly Viridian.
Captain of Trigonometry. Lord and former royal of RiddleMakers.
[May 10, 2006 4:11:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yohohobob

I only tarted about terra and napi because i was bored and I felt like it. I still don't like there non-existent naming schemes tho, but then again I think the only island that has a naming scheme that is any good is polly Fintan.
Madyohoho SO of Di Cerberus-Retired
Lord of Arcana Imperii(Viridian)[quote]Remember, I'm the one that sits back and giggles at you mates while sipping masttails in my pajamas. Besides, Y!PP isn't a game; it's a way of life
[May 10, 2006 11:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Cochineal has an excellent naming scheme, as well.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[May 10, 2006 12:13:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kuframan

I don't really understand what all the tarting is about, Vanguard are environmentalists.
This link clearly proves that.

http://www.vanguardenvl.com/
Dragonblade
Vanguard
Saintdeath tells you, "Dude, to buy 20 million poe with CC is 4k dollars."
Saintdeath tells you, "That's a lot of beer, man."
[May 10, 2006 12:19:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

From Tianx :

The difference is, people look at clothes, painted ships, and houses. I can say with quite some confidence that virtually no one looks at islands. And if you truly care so much, there are plenty of "pretty" islands elsewhere: is it too much effort to take the ferry to the nearest island? Or do you demand that all islands be designed to your specifications?

On a different note, I'm fairly sure paving over commodiy spawn indicators doesn't actually slow down the spawn rate.

First, I look at island design, so you are false to say that nobody does. And I'm not alone.

Second, here some quote for the in game help (not the Wiki, the official in-game help found here : http://www.puzzlepirates.com/Colonisation.xhtml#Placing_Buildings_to_create_Construction_Sites)

Take note of the landscape; building over commodities will deplete your island's resources.

The Governor is also responsible for naming buildings, and must take special care to choose good names. Funny, alliterative or punning names are common in Puzzle Pirates and help to foster a humorous atmosphere. Many islands have a naming theme, and governors of those islands should try to name within those themes.

The building plots include a one 'tile' space in front of the building for the entrance arrow, but you should always be sure to allow more space for a reasonable looking layout.

So yeah, placing site on a wood spwan will destroy it and yeah, Calais broke all those rules. He is not the only one, but he is the one that did it in the most massive and agressive way.

Edit : fixing the quote
Edit 2 : trying again
Edit 3 : same thing, i'm very blonde today
[Disclaimer]English is not my first language so please excuse my mispell and grammar mistakes.[/disclaimer]

-Rhia
[Edit 7 times, last edit by RhiannonS at May 10, 2006 1:54:16 PM]
[May 10, 2006 1:24:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Quote doesn't work - quote does.

Due to dynamic spawns, paving wood on one island should boost the spawns on other islands. Realization of that made me wonder about the viability of blockading far-flung islands that share spawns with your home island, for the sole purpose of paving their spawn points, and therefore boosting the proportion of the ocean spawn that *your* island gets.

I think that lead to some game design ideas about the governor being able to invest labor into boosted spawn rates, as it seemed less destructive than the alternative.

Personally, I'm surprised that no one has considered blockading Chap on Midnight and paving all the trees so that the other spawns make more.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[May 10, 2006 1:50:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

Quote doesn't work - quote does.

Thanks

-Rhia
[May 10, 2006 1:54:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Darvid wrote: 
Personally, I'm surprised that no one has considered blockading Chap on Midnight and paving all the trees so that the other spawns make more.

That island is an outpost, so you'd have to dust the existing shoppe to build another. And I doubt the OMs would help with dusting if the intent was to pave the island.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[May 10, 2006 4:19:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fernie462

I also think that the whole "King something Memorial" isn't done for a funny pun (my favorite is "cabinated beverages" for some odd reason), its just as "hey look, I won the island, now let me shove my e-pen... ahem, ego (keeping it G-rated) down your throat.
[May 10, 2006 4:47:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

(my favorite is "cabinated beverages" for some odd reason)

Thanks, I'm quite proud of that name.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[May 10, 2006 5:05:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Darvid wrote: 

That island is an outpost, so you'd have to dust the existing shoppe to build another. And I doubt the OMs would help with dusting if the intent was to pave the island.
OMs don't need to help. Just empty the coffers and wait.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[May 10, 2006 10:02:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Shoppes take a month to dust. It would take awhile to pave over an outpost.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[May 10, 2006 10:04:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

why do people paint their houses?
why do people wear expensive clothes?
why do people buy furniture which has no use?

I've got a mansion on Midnight which sees far less attention than any island, with at least 300k worth of furniture and pain in it.
But it looks nice, and every few months I like to visit it.

No, its not a big issue the whole overbuilding thing.. but it is a peeve amongst many. Somewhat so, myself included.
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[May 14, 2006 11:44:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Wait, what?

If all you care about is a chunk of buildable land, I suppose the island design team has wasted hundreds of thousands of hours working on the islands to make them look "pretty." I myself spent a couple thousand hours working on a project that only barely touched the islands I made for Hunter [those two have been the recipient of painstaking labor, but still were only slightly impacted], and will highly likely effect a huge number of islands made in the future. And now you want to come along and tell me that those hours were wasted because "no one looks at islands." I call bullcannon. Complete and utter bull.

If nobody looks at them, why is there a continual push towards realism in the island editor? Why do people try so hard to be part of the team? Why does Nemo get incredibly cranky when you have a grid showing? Why, do you say, does it not matter?

Where are you pulling this "confidence" that you speak of? I know quite a few mates that DO look at island design. That's why I've gotten compliments on each of my islands that make it to a production ocean, and all of the others as well. That's why we labor so long on our islands, and here you come, cheapening our labor of love by insinuating that it doesn't matter, nobody notices. Right. Thanks for the appreciation.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[May 16, 2006 2:44:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
ming26

Ok.... breathe ! Relax, i'm sure he didn't mean it?
Sonofab

Banned for being a Kind, lovable guy
[May 16, 2006 4:42:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Ok.... breathe ! Relax, i'm sure he didn't mean it?

He ment it.
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[May 16, 2006 5:53:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TianX9

Thanks, Gloraelin. Quite seriously, I didn't realize it mattered that much. I'd venture to say that you're a special case, though: Most people just don't mind about the islands' aesthetic qualities until they get paved over, at which point they start attacking the "offender."

Taking the layman's perspective, I see that there are some very pretty islands on Hunter. I spend maybe 10 seconds looking at the island as I mouse over to the dock, and think to myself, "that island looks cute." Has my day been made or ruined? No, not really. To you, the specialist, this is enough to be personally affronted by. My question was not really intended for you, but for the hundreds of others that declare their hatred for a ruined island over something that doesn't impact them, and where the solution is as difficult as finding the ferry to see another place.

I'm sure a number of people do look at islands, and I'm sure that you're proud of your creations. As you demonstrated, there is the occasional person that feels very passionately about it: You're one in a thousand, and the people that are mildly interested are outnumbered in floods by those that are completely indifferent. Bluntly, the hours that you put into your work don't affect the majority of people. The odd person that likes your unique design on an online game will appreciate your work (and the odd person that like metropolises instead will appreciate what has been done). What I'm wondering is why the other 95% who didn't really think about the islands enough to say anything before decide they care now and start an ocean-wide uproar over it. It's would be the equivelent of the ringers removing gold from one article of clothing in exchange for a couple million dollars. Sure, a couple people will care, but enough for everyone else to brand the person in charge as evil for doing what's in their interests?
[May 16, 2006 10:47:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

There should be 3 types of islands. Outposts, Mediums that have the minimap disabled, and Squares, a big huge square with a dock, a big circle by the dock and lots of brown open space to be covered up in the future.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[May 16, 2006 11:29:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Or just replace the world with a series of menus...

(which leaves us with Trade Wars 1702.)

EDIT: Also, I think a lot of the tarting comes from players who date from a time when "responsible stewardship" (and profit) was expected of an island-holding flag. I'm not sure it's fair to expect that of flags and pirates these days; the oceans have changed so much.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Edit 2 times, last edit by cmdrzoom at May 16, 2006 12:15:00 PM]
[May 16, 2006 12:09:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kenku178

Tian:In the end, by the looks its that 5% that leads the flag and watch the forums, and thus, they have a preety big voice. Cmdrzoom also has a big point in that.
Wilden of the Viridian Ocean
Fleet Officer of De Novo
Former Member of:
Blitz Republic
Booty Snatchers
The White Krakens
Warriors Down Under
[May 16, 2006 6:35:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

EDIT: Also, I think a lot of the tarting comes from players who date from a time when "responsible stewardship" (and profit) was expected of an island-holding flag. I'm not sure it's fair to expect that of flags and pirates these days; the oceans have changed so much.

I must be softening as I get older in this game, Starhawks posts make me think more and more, soon I'll think like him.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[May 16, 2006 9:42:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Staylorx

What I'm wondering is why the other 95% who didn't really think about the islands enough to say anything before decide they care now and start an ocean-wide uproar over it.

Probably because the 95% who don't care, don't even care enough to read the Forums let alone post...
[May 17, 2006 2:37:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

To play devil's advociate, once the novelty wears off, that's all anything is. The human eye is generally concerned with change rather than inherent beauty. Are you still impressed by how much prettier windows xp is than 98?

That is to say, it doesn't matter whether islands are pretty so much as it matters whether or not

1. they're identifyable as islands
2. they aren't ugly. Once someone's seen it once, they probably wont worry about the difference between mediocre and amazing tbh.
His Holiness, The Dope
[May 17, 2006 2:47:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 69   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates